Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Brubeck

take five
Reaction score
Headline's a bit misleading; the farm has been in the family since 1770.

Fire kills 46 cows on 200-year-old family farm

“I am at a loss,” owner Michael Miller said Monday. “The farm is my whole life right there.”
“I am too young to retire,” Miller said. “The cows have been my life. I have a granddaughter — she is in tears over losing the cattle as well as I am. It’s all we want to do: live out our lives on the farm, like any farm family wants to do, and continue it all on for more generations.”

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, Ancram Fire Chief David Boice said Monday.

Miller and his wife Emily sat on their porch on Tuesday and watched the aftermath of a fire Sunday night that burnt their dairy farm to the ground.

"Can't sleep,” Michael Miller said. “Two nights of sleepless nights, wondering how long that will continue."

Michael Miller's family has been milking cows on Millerhurst Dairy Farm in Ancram for two centuries. On Sunday, 46 cows died in the fire. One survived.

"Our cows have names, not numbers,” he said.
Community steps up for victims of Ancram farm fire

This is so heartbreaking. It is difficult to read and think about.

I don’t know about y’all but when Mr. Miller finally could no longer hold his grief and sadness. Neither could I. And a little granddaughter in pain, forced into reality and maturity before she was ready. I had to watch it twice. He struggled to hold on. Such strength.

A barn fire, especially when it is full of cows is a horrible thing. My heart goes out to this family and I hope they can recover. A bit of counseling may be in order. IMO

Barn fires are one of the things I fear and hate the most. I feel so much for this family. I grew up on a dairy farm myself, and we had a terrible barn fire many years ago. By pure miracle, my dad, with help from 2 close neighbors, were able to get all our cows out as the fire raged. Some had a little singeing and thank God no humans were hurt. That one awful act- it was arson- still affects me to this day. I hope and pray this family will be able to rebuild with the help of their community. Our cows were all named, as well. It's a tough enough business without having a fire such as this. God bless 'em!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael C Vang
Back