NY - Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking charges, 6 July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang tight, Julie. Glad she is going public with it - keep shining a light on all this.

jmo

From the article -
  • Julie K. Brown, whose Miami Herald reporting led to Jeffrey Epstein’s latest charges, says she’s noticed eerie activity since the news broke.
  • “Nothing has happened yet,” she tells InStyle of any direct intimidation.
  • But “the one thing I’ve noticed is that there is definitely something weird going on with my phones and my computer. I’ve been getting incessant FaceTime calls, one after another, from different numbers. I’m talking millions. I answered only one. I hope that means they didn’t hack in … I thought, ‘Who are you? Why are you doing this?’”
BBM

That is intimidation. It's the cyber equivalent of we are keeping an eye on you.

Miami Herald EXCLUSIVE: Florida Lawmaker calling for state probe of Jeffrey Epstein case says she’s been told to "Back off Little Girl,'' by supporters of Palm Beach sheriff now in spotlight for giving Epstein a cushy work release.
Sen.Lauren Book, a vocal advocate for child sexual assault survivors, said she also received more than a dozen calls by Bradshaw’s political supporters asking her to back off on her call for an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement into Bradshaw.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article233102457.html#storylink=cpy

What a civics lesson this case is turning out to be.

Jeffrey Epstein’s Foundation Had Access to 40 Stock Offerings Underwritten by Morgan Stanley
By itself, Epstein’s charitable foundation would seem an unlikely recipient of the allocations, because of its small size.
Stock-offering allocations, which investment bankers give out to their important customers, are some of Wall Street’s most sought-after prizes. The recipients can often count on a quick gain, since bankers traditionally underprice deals to make stocks pop in early trading.

So the mystery of Epstein's money is slowly being solved. First sex trafficking and, now, a legal form of insider trading.

JMO
  • Epstein probably didn't charge per sex transaction. Most likely, the wealthy put him on retainer to have access to the girls. Either a cash investment in his "hedge fund" or simply provide stock offerings through an affiliated company.
  • Stock "tips" (AKA insider trading) plausibly occurred as well.
  • I believe the celebrities (Prince Andrew) also "paid" by being a draw at the parties, providing a veneer of protection as well. (If Prince Andrew is participating, it is totally safe.)

• Jeffrey Epstein was approved to travel to New York City on weekdays and stay overnight in Manhattan for the final seven months of his probation
  • He stayed at his Upper East Side mansion, where two of the city's biggest playgrounds and the school of one of his victim's were less than 1,000 feet away
  • The reason for his travel was legal matters he was tending to, though what they entailed were never specified beyond his need to see documents in person
  • He was also allowed to use his private jet for this travel, and only had to give his probation officer 48 hours notice
  • It is unclear if officials in New York were aware of Epstein's presence in the city, and the decision directly violates a previous judge's order
  • The judge who sentenced Epstein made it very clear he was never to be with 1000 feet of any area where children congregate, which he agreed to obey
  • Jeffrey Epstein was allowed to travel to NYC unsupervised on overnight trips during probation | Daily Mail Online

• Jeffrey Epstein was approved to travel to New York City on weekdays and stay overnight in Manhattan for the final seven months of his probation
  • He stayed at his Upper East Side mansion, where two of the city's biggest playgrounds and the school of one of his victim's were less than 1,000 feet away
  • The reason for his travel was legal matters he was tending to, though what they entailed were never specified beyond his need to see documents in person
  • He was also allowed to use his private jet for this travel, and only had to give his probation officer 48 hours notice
  • It is unclear if officials in New York were aware of Epstein's presence in the city, and the decision directly violates a previous judge's order
  • The judge who sentenced Epstein made it very clear he was never to be with 1000 feet of any area where children congregate, which he agreed to obey
  • Jeffrey Epstein was allowed to travel to NYC unsupervised on overnight trips during probation | Daily Mail Online
Excuse me. but WTF?!?!? He was jet-setting to NYC while serving sentence for a crime?!

Smoke is coming out of my ears.

The whole thing in Florida was a joke. A joke at the expense of the victims, who were essentially laughed at with all of this.

jmo

Excuse me. but WTF?!?!? He was jet-setting to NYC while serving sentence for a crime?!

Smoke is coming out of my ears.

The whole thing in Florida was a joke. A joke at the expense of the victims, who were essentially laughed at with all of this.

jmo
He was clearly being helped by people who didn't think his actions were really criminal. It's Roman Polanski all over again, listen to the likes of Quentin Tarantino for example defending Polanski and there you'll find the same attitude behind those who "prosecuted" Epstein.

<modsnip>

"Billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein was arrested for allegedly sex trafficking dozens of minors in New York and Florida between 2002 and 2005, and will appear in court in New York on Monday, according to three law enforcement sources.....

The new indictment—which, according to two sources, will be unsealed Monday in Manhattan federal court—will reportedly allege that Epstein sexually exploited dozens of underage girls in a now-familiar scheme: paying them cash for 'massages' and then molesting or sexually abusing them in his Upper East Side mansion or his palatial residence in Palm Beach. Epstein will be charged with one count of sex trafficking of minors and one count of conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking of minors—which could put him away for a maximum of 45 years."

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested For Sex Trafficking of Minors: Sources
Being rich is helpful even when you're a criminal....Maybe I'm not a good fortune teller but I bet this man won't spend many years in prison... :(

Jeffrey Epstein case: The 'open secret' at Royal Palm High
“One Royal Palm Beach High student told detectives in 2005 that she targeted promiscuous teens on campus. Another said she brought a friend on the verge of homelessness and strapped for cash.
School administrators knew something unusual was happening, police reports show.“
The Palm Beach Post

Jeffrey Epstein case: The 'open secret' at Royal Palm High
“One Royal Palm Beach High student told detectives in 2005 that she targeted promiscuous teens on campus. Another said she brought a friend on the verge of homelessness and strapped for cash.
School administrators knew something unusual was happening, police reports show.“
The Palm Beach Post
The number of people who "knew" is staggering. From the link:

"The tension came to the [school] administration's attention in February 2005, when a 14-year-old freshman, the first of Epstein's victims to speak to police, got into a fight on campus with a girl who called her a "prostitute," police said.

But the school kept no disciplinary record of the fight and didn't report anything, police learned in 2005.

At the time, it appeared the girls were making money doing something nefarious, one former administrator, then-Assistant Principal Carolyn Brown, said in a brief interview this month.

It was an "open secret," Brown said, stopping short of saying whether school administrators knew the girls were paid for sexual favors...

Brown, who is retired, never spoke to prosecutors. Soon after her subpoena, federal prosecutors struck Epstein's plea deal ...(blah, blah, blah about the deal...)."

In case anyone is interested, Jim Clemente and Francey Hakes have discussed this in the last 3 episodes of Best Case Worst Case (podcast), with the most recent episode being today.

This is a link to the show on Stitcher, but it’s available on any podcast platform.

135 | Worst Case Scenario: Epstein Facts Keep Getting Worse from Best Case Worst Case

Thank You TristanP! Great recommendation. Listened to all three episodes and they explained a lot about the legalities of this awful case that I, not in the legal field, miss and do not understand. Enjoyed listening to their spirited dialogue; nice change from reading.

Former FBI profiler Jim Clemente, American author, former New York State prosecutor, former FBI profiler, podcast co-host and creator of the show Real Crime Profile, and writer/producer on CBS' Criminal Minds.

Former federal prosecutor Francey Hakes, Francey was a prosecutor for more than 15 years, serving first as an Assistant District Attorney specializing in crimes against children, then as an Assistant U.S. Attorney specializing in technology-facilitated child sexual exploitation. Francey has held a top-secret security clearance as part of her work on national security investigations while serving as an Assistant U.S. Attorney. She has been lead counsel on dozens of trials relating to child homicide and other crimes against children. Francey is now CEO of her own consulting firm, providing advice and counsel to law enforcement, governments, Industry, and others on the protection of children.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/26/once-...ced-with-jeffrey-epstein-roman-polanski-pics/

"An artist vandalized a Los Angeles billboard for the new film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” Friday, replacing Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio’s pretty faces — with those of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and convicted child rapist Roman Polanski."

Photo of the altered billboard at the link.
Thanks to artist Sabo! Awesome! We, the public, need to continue the pressure for justice and names.

I started reading "Filthy Rich" by James Patterson, the book is interesting. It is obvious that JE thought that he could buy his way out of anything. I am really impressed by the Chief of Police in the book, in Palm Beach. JE was donating money to the police department, I guess that he thought it was "insurance".

What is with JE? He must have some sort of hypersexual disorder. The young girls in the book describe his "peanut" as micro-tiny.

This case is a tragically sad commentary on the American justice system. We really must do better.

For the bean counters in the thread.

Fresh revelations raise the likelihood that sex offender Jeffrey Epstein cloaked his fortune in a series of offshore shell companies registered in notoriously secretive tax havens.

Jeffrey Epstein’s offshore fortune traced to Paradise Papers - ICIJ

From a linked article at that link, a LOT of other wealthy people do the same thing...not all are breaking the law, but it’s fair to figure Epstein is.

The promise of tax havens is secrecy – offshore locales create and oversee companies that often are difficult, or impossible, to trace back to their owners. While having an offshore entity is often legal, the built-in secrecy attracts money launderers, drug traffickers, kleptocrats and others who want to operate in the shadows. Offshore companies, often “shells” with no employees or office space, are also used in complex tax-avoidance structures that drain billions from national treasuries.

The offshore industry makes “the poor poorer” and is “deepening wealth inequality,” said Brooke Harrington, a certified wealth manager and Copenhagen Business School professor who is the author of ‘Capital without Borders: Wealth Managers and the One Percent.’

“There is this small group of people who are not equally subject to the laws as the rest of us, and that’s on purpose,” Harrington said. These people “live the dream” of enjoying “the benefits of society without being subject to any of its constraints.”

Paradise Papers Exposes Donald Trump-Russia links and Piggy Banks of the Wealthiest 1 Percent - ICIJ

From a linked article at that link, a LOT of other wealthy people do the same thing...not all are breaking the law, but it’s fair to figure Epstein is.

The promise of tax havens is secrecy – offshore locales create and oversee companies that often are difficult, or impossible, to trace back to their owners. While having an offshore entity is often legal, the built-in secrecy attracts money launderers, drug traffickers, kleptocrats and others who want to operate in the shadows. Offshore companies, often “shells” with no employees or office space, are also used in complex tax-avoidance structures that drain billions from national treasuries.

The offshore industry makes “the poor poorer” and is “deepening wealth inequality,” said Brooke Harrington, a certified wealth manager and Copenhagen Business School professor who is the author of ‘Capital without Borders: Wealth Managers and the One Percent.’

“There is this small group of people who are not equally subject to the laws as the rest of us, and that’s on purpose,” Harrington said. These people “live the dream” of enjoying “the benefits of society without being subject to any of its constraints.”

Paradise Papers Exposes Donald Trump-Russia links and Piggy Banks of the Wealthiest 1 Percent - ICIJ

Well, I've learned a new word today that I had to look up. Kleptocrat, a ruler who uses political power to steal his or her country's resources.

There are several things in this story that don't make sense to me, but these two paragraphs please me. If that makes me a bad person, I don't want to be good.

“You’ve got a guy who is a millionaire who is now living among rats and mold and wants to go home,” the source said.

“This is a disgusting place and the people there, they treat you disgusting. Who wouldn’t be suicidal in that kind of place? You have a silver spoon in your mouth and then you’re put in a cesspool.”

Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-cop cellmate says he saved multimillionaire sex offender from hanging: source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288