NY NY - Brooklyn, Bay 23rd & Benson Ave, WhtFem 45-70, UP6020, pink velvet pants, coat w/fur, Jan'00

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
403UFNY

Warning PM

Date of Discovery: January 30, 2000
Location of Discovery: Brooklyn, Kings County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 2000
State of Remains: All parts recovered; recognizable face
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 45-70 years old
Race: White/possibly Russian or Hispanic
Sex: Female
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 132 lbs.
Hair Color: Black, curly, shoulder length hair
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Long sleeved blouse, bra, undershirt, pink velvet pants. Gray and burgundy coat with a fur collar.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Hankercheif

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was located on January 31, 2000, in front of a 3-car garage on Bay 23rd and Benson Avenue in Brooklyn, New York, within the confines of the 62nd Precinct.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Office of the Chief Medical Examiner New York City
Agency Contact Person: Angela Soler
Agency Phone Number: 212-447-2030
Agency Email: Unknown
Agency Case Number: K00-00638

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: UP #6020

Information Source(s)
NamUs
New York City Police Department

Street view

Google Maps

Namus think she may be Russian based on her clothing.

When I Google "XAPbKOB," taken from the tag of the decedent's jacket, I get a lot of suggestions for the Ukrainian city of Kharkov. Kharkov is written as Харькoв in Russian.
You can also see cyrillic letters on the tags of the jacket. Where she was found isn't far (about 2.6 miles from the Sheepshead Bay subway station) from Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach, neighborhoods with large Russian and Ukrainian communities.

You can also see cyrillic letters on the tags of the jacket. Where she was found isn't far (about 2.6 miles from the Sheepshead Bay subway station) from Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach, neighborhoods with large Russian and Ukrainian communities.

Yes, I noticed the cyrillic letters on the other tag, as well!

Thank you for the information on the area. I'm really not familiar at all with New York. I wonder if fear within those communities may be a cause for such a long period of time going unidentified.

Yeah, those areas are very popular with post-Soviet immigrants. Brighton Beach is known as 'Little Odessa'. I wouldn't be shocked if she was local.

Don't want to drag in the Russian and Ukraine war into this thread, because this happened before the war broke out. Some interesting note from this article about Little Odessa. Russian flags come down in New York’s Little Odessa: ‘Putin has turned it into a fascist symbol’

The breakup of the Soviet Union brought another wave of immigrants to Brighton in the 1990s, followed by more recent arrivals from Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Georgia and other former Soviet nations, drawn by their shared knowledge of Russian and job opportunities for those who speak it.

I'm afraid this woman is not in the regular missing persons files, but who knows.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back