NY NY - Carol Ingham, 17, Evidence of an assault, Rochester, 2 Jan 1976

BrownBear

Reaction score
1659199074753.png

Carol Ingham​

CR# 1976-00600915​

Deceased Date: 1/02/1976 at 5 Messina St, Rochester, NY

ON THE MORNING OF JANUARY 2, 1976 NEIGHBORHOOD CHILDREN DISCOVERED THE PARTIALLY CLOTHED BODY OF CAROL INGHAM BEHIND A VACANT HOUSE AT 5 MESSINA STREET. THERE WAS EVIDENCE OF AN ASSAULT AND HER DEATH WAS ULTAIMTELY RULED A HOMICIDE. IT IS POSSIBLE CAROL WAS KILLED AT ANOTHER LOCATION AND LATER MOVED TO WHERE SHE WAS FOUND. SHE WAS LAST SEEN ALIVE IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS OF JANUARY 1, 1976.

Carol Ingham – Rochester, NY Unsolved

428-Ingham.png

VICTIM DETAILS
NameCarol Ann Ingham
Age17
GenderFemale
RaceCaucasian/White
DOB04/22/1958
SUSPECT DETAILS
NameUnknown
OffenseMurder
CauseLigature/Strangulation
LocationUnknown
CASE DETAILS
StatusUnsolved
Incident LocationRochester, New York, 14621
Monroe County
L.E.ARochester Police Department, Rochester, New York

Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact the Rochester Police Department at (585) 428-7033.

Project Cold Case Database

I'm happy to see a thread started on Carol! So thank you @BrownBear !

I looked into Carol's story quite a bit about a year ago, as it is a local case for me. I have read all the newspaper articles that were released on it, which is only 5 articles. I had submitted a FOIL request for the police report or docs to try and learn more, but was denied.

The RPD officer in charge of her cold case, though, did call me regarding my request and asked what my interest or connection was to the case. My mother-in-law is who first told me about Carol, as Carol was a close friend's sister. The sister was quoted in an article from 1/3/76, but the officer was interested in speaking with her again, so I did pass along her number to the officer. Haven't heard anything further, but feel encouraged that at least someone was responsive and curious. It's on my list to delve deeper into, but my primary attention is still on the 01 disappearance of Sharon Shechter.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see a thread started on Carol! So thank you @BrownBear !

I looked into Carol's story quite a bit about a year ago, as it is a local case for me. I have read all the newspaper articles that were released on it, which is only 5 articles. I had submitted a FOIL request for the police report or docs to try and learn more, but was denied.

The RPD officer in charge of her cold case, though, did call me regarding my request and asked what my interest or connection was to the case. My mother-in-law is who first told me about Carol, as Carol was a close friend's sister. The sister was quoted in an article from 1/3/76, but the officer was interested in speaking with her again, so I did pass along her number to the officer. Haven't heard anything further, but feel encouraged that at least someone was responsive and curious. It's on my list to delve deeper into, but my primary attention is still on the 01 disappearance of Sharon Shechter.

Everything is well explained, in a fairly common language. Also happens when I need to write something for college, I use http://essaypapers.reviews/ for this. The best way for me to solve the problem is without applying force. So thank you.
nice

Here's the timeline that's been constructed of Carol's last night, New Year's Eve/early hours of New Year's Day, 1/1/76:

- Spent at least 4 hours at The Handle Bar tavern/bar at 1700 Clifford Ave with girlfriends and/or her older sister Theresa; left the bar at 330am with two men/friends.
- Stopped for food at Tip Top Restaurant on E Main St (unknown actual address), as there was undigested hamburger in her stomach, according to her autopsy. This was about 1.5 miles from the bar; unclear if they were in a vehicle or on foot
- From there, the 3 of them proceeded to 28 Arlington St for a party, where one of the two men lived with his brothers. This is another about half mile to travel, from the restaurant.
- It is said Carol left the party between 5-6am to go home to where she lived with her parents, on foot, which was about 2.5 miles away.
- Witnesses reporting seeing Carol 'in the early daylight hours' on New Year's Day in the Atlantic/University area. This intersection is steps from where the party was and would have been on her walk home. This is considered a local 'neighborhood', at least now anyway, as I live one neighborhood away from here (about a mile).

Sunrise on 1/1/76 was not until 7:43am, with civil twilight being at 7:11am, which is when the sky would have been fully light but without the sun being visible yet. So it seems that the timeline doesn't totally line up, to me. If she left the party as late as 6am, and witnesses saw her in the early daylight hours, that's at least an hour of time unaccounted for, AND she was still in the immediate area. If she left closer to 5am then what was going on for at least 2 hours??

Carol's frozen body was found at 11am on 1/2/76 behind a vacant home, in between an overturned rowboat and a fence, on a dead end street. This location was about a mile from where the party took place, and on part of her route/walk home. It was determined she was killed elsewhere and then dumped at this location based on tire tracks, footprints, and her body's impression in the snow. Carol's purse and shoes were missing, and her clothes were so disheveled she was nearly nude. Jewelry was all intact.

I have made contact with a few friends of Carol's, who have provided some more insight into the evening of New Year's when they were with her.

To add to the timeline, prior to being at the Handle Bar on Clifford Ave, Carol was at a bar on N Clinton Ave called Fackelman's Bar & Grill. (These bars are exactly 2 miles apart). She was there with a friend, Nancy, and her boyfriend Tim. Carol wanted to then move to the Handle Bar, but Nancy and Tim didn't think they would make it in time to watch the ball drop, as it was 11:40/11:45, according to Nancy. An unknown man who was sitting next to them offered to take Carol to the HB, which she accepted. That was the last time Nancy had seen Carol, and next thing she knew, homicide detectives were at her house asking questions. Nancy and Tim were then taken to the police station to sit with a sketch artist, in hopes of constructing a composite of the man who gave Carol a ride to the HB. (We, again, know that Carol made it there, went to eat afterwards with two identified males, and ended up at an after party following food). Nancy went on to say that when her and Tim were leaving the station, police were bringing in the man who gave Carol a ride to the Handle Bar, and notably he had a cast on his arm. Nancy pointed this out to police, that he was the guy, and that he did NOT have a cast on his arm on New Year's Eve, 2-3 days prior. Nancy said he was quickly cleared by police, but under what pretenses, we do not know. If it was solely an alibi, then I firmly believe he should be relooked at.

Another friend who WAS at the Handle Bar with Carol, Gloria, recalls leaving shortly after midnight to drive another of their girlfriends home. Outside of the HB, Gloria asked Carol's sister if she was getting Carol home, to which Theresa (sister) said Carol had a ride. Unfortunately, that was the last time that Gloria was to see Carol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gio1tobey
Back