GUILTY NY - Cathleen Krauseneck, 29, axed to death, Brighton, 19 Feb 1982 *husband arrested in 2019*

Do you have any information from the community from back in the day? Rumors or substantiated information about the family? Thanks in advance if you have any insight.

From information gleaned from 2016 WA article -- Feds put out a grant for cold cases in 2015. Brighton police maintained more than 100 pieces of evidence from 1982, and I'm optimistic they developed some solid forensics against the suspect with new, improved testing.

In April 2015, the chief and Liberatore presented the Krauseneck case to the FBI’s Cold Case Working Group, which includes about three dozen people from federal agencies, local police departments, medical examiner offices, district attorney offices and crime labs.

[...]

Although some forensic testing was done in 1982, the technology has significantly improved since then, and more DNA tests are possible, Henderson said.

The department still maintains more than 100 pieces of evidence from the case. Investigators are determining which ones should be forensically tested, the chief said.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article237156584.html

Nov 8, 2019

A former Gig Harbor man and Weyerhaeuser executive has been charged with the 1982 ax murder of his first wife in New York state.

On Friday, an indictment was unsealed charging James Krauseneck Jr., 67, with second-degree murder in the death of Cathleen Krauseneck, 29, the first of his four wives.

The cold case for decades troubled detectives, who were suspicious of James Krauseneck shortly after his wife was found with an ax in her forehead Feb. 19, 1982.

Krauseneck’s daughter accompanied him to Monroe County Superior Court on Friday when he pleaded not guilty.

His two attorneys, one of whom represented him during the 1982 investigation, claim Krauseneck is innocent.

Former Gig Harbor high-ranking executive charged in 1982 ax murder of his first wife

Nov 9, 2019

A former high-ranking executive with ties to Washington state has been charged with murder in a decades-old cold case in New York.

James Krauseneck Jr., 67, pleaded not guilty Friday to a second degree murder charge in connection to his first wife's death in 1982, according to the Democrat & Chronicle in New York.

When the crime happened, Krauseneck called the police and said he found his wife, Cathleen, dead inside their New York home. She had been killed with an ax and the weapon had been wiped clean of fingerprints, officials said.

Krauseneck was supposed to talk with investigators the next day, but instead, he left with the couple's young daughter and moved to his hometown of Michigan.

His next move brought him to Gig Harbor, Washington.

Krauseneck took a job with Seattle-based Weyerhaeuser and became the Vice President of sales.

Four years ago, investigators traveled to Gig Harbor to question Krauseneck once more about his wife's murder. Two days after that, he listed his home for sale and moved to Arizona, according to published reports.

Relatives hope for closure after husband charged in 1982 ax murder case

Nov 8, 2019

BRIGHTON, N.Y. (WHEC) — A 37-year-old murder case is one step closer to being solved. A former Brighton man is now facing murder charges for the death of his wife.

67-year-old James Krausenek allegedly killed Cathleen Krausenek with an ax in their home on Del Rio Drive in February of 1982.

Cathleen's sister Annet Schlosser remembers living with the couple while she was in college.

[...]

Schlosser says James had a clear motive to kill Cathleen.

"I think that once my sister found out that he didn't have his doctorate and that he lied to her and everyone else, that she confronted him," Schlosser said. "He did not want his reputation ruined, so he killed her."

[...]

For some surviving family members including Cathy's 92-year-old father, this represents hope for justice.

"He is so looking forward to this at 92 years old, he said 'I will be at the trial'," Schlosser said. "It's going to be a 10-hour drive for us and he plans on being there."

Not all of Cathy's relatives believe James is guilty. According to James' lawyer, their daughter Sara who was found near her mother's body the night of the murder appeared in court with James on Friday. James is out on $75,000 bond, $25,000 bail. He's due back in court at the end of January.

Brighton police arrest a man in connection to wife’s 1982 death

Nov 9, 2010

BRIGHTON, N.Y. (WROC) — Brighton police officials say they have arrested a man in connection to his wife’s death more than 35 years ago.

Officials say James Krauseneck, 67, has been arrested for the death of his wife Cathleen Krauseneck in 1982.

Monroe County District Attorney Sandra Doorley’s office say James is charged with second degree murder in connection to the February 19, 1982 incident.

“I want to thank the Brighton Police Department, who has worked with the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office since 1982, for never giving up on finding justice for Cathleen Krauseneck,” said Doorley in a press release. “We look forward to bringing this case through the criminal justice system and finally bringing justice to Cathleen, her friends and family.”

Bright police officials say they will further discuss this matter at a press conference Tuesday at 10 a.m.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney William Gargan, Bureau Chief of the Domestic Violence Bureau.

Not all of Cathy's relatives believe James is guilty. According to James' lawyer, their daughter Sara who was found near her mother's body the night of the murder appeared in court with James on Friday. James is out on $75,000 bond, $25,000 bail. He's due back in court at the end of January.

BBM - I'm a little annoyed with the reporting here if it is only the toddler-aged daughter who is "siding" with the father. Lord knows what she was told growing up. It sounds like everyone in Cathy's family has been certain about who committed this crime from the get-go. I feel terrible for the daughter who was denied a relationship with her maternal side of the family and very likely given limited facts about the case. I hope she has a good therapist ready to help her through this trial.

I wonder what his two wives after the first one would say if interviewed? Wonder if his daughter is living Michigan? I read where his wife was sleeping when he did this so I assume the daughter was too? If he did this, better to pay in this life than the afterlife.

UPDATE: June trial set in 1982 Brighton ax murder case

By Daily Messenger news partner, News 10NBC
Posted Nov 12, 2019 at 5:40 PMUpdated Nov 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM

In a news conference on Tuesday morning, Brighton Police Chief David Catholdi said the FBI offered to help with unsolved cases in 2015, giving new life to the investigation. The police chief also said the investigation ultimately covered multiple states, including Colorado, Michigan, Texas, Washington, and Virginia.

Investigators also said new technology like small sample DNA analysis, touch DNA analysis, and converting several boxes of evidence into digital files helped lead to an arrest in the case.

[...]

Catholdi was joined by representatives from the Monroe County District’s Office, the FBI, and Brighton Town Supervisor William Moehle.

Police in Brighton declared a painstaking process, years of effort and the involvement of a celebrity coroner paid off with answers in the case.

[...]

Police said they initially investigated Cathleen Krauseneck’s death as a burglary but, over the years, became convinced James Krauseneck was her killer.

“I knew that it would lead to the husband,” said Henderson, who visited with Cathleen Krauseneck’s relatives, the Schlosser’s at their home in Michigan in 2015.

“I met with the Schlosser family. I talked about the commitment of the town of Brighton and was going to take a fresh look at this case,” he said.

It was in in 2015 that the FBI reached out to law enforcement in the region offering help with unsolved cases with a newly formed “cold case working group.” Henderson took the opportunity to bring new scrutiny to the case, asked for the FBI’s help and the investigation got new life.

“I understand people want a singular piece of evidence that can directly point to James Krauseneck Junior,” Catholdi said. “This is not one of those cases. You have to look at the totality of the circumstances, along with all the evidence and the timeline of events.”

A key player, investigators added, was celebrity forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, whose work made headlines in the O.J. Simpson murder case and, more recently, offering his theories on the death of Jeffrey Epstein.

Catholdi said Baden’s analysis undermined Krauseneck’s alibi, that he was at work when his wife was killed.

[...]

“They have a new expert but they don’t have new evidence. And that’s an entirely different proposition,” Krauseneck’s defense attorney William Easton said.

Easton called the prosecution of Krauseneck after 37 years “unprecedented” and declared he saw no new evidence in police pronouncements. He also insisted that Krauseneck had cooperated throughout the years of the investigation into his wife’s death, something co-defense counsel Michael Wolford claimed after Krauseneck’s indictment but an assertion William Gargan with the Monroe County District Attorney’s office strenuously denied.

When Krauseneck appeared in court, his daughter Sara was with him, the Tribune added. She was 3 when the murder took place. He was released on $100,000 bail.

"DNA, fingerprints -- or the lack thereof -- can speak volumes," he said. "You would expect DNA evidence to be in that home. He lived there. What we did not find was any DNA that belonged to anybody else that was in that home. I think that speaks volumes."

Catholdi added, "To my knowledge, there has been no DNA evidence recovered from the home or on any piece of evidence that belongs to anybody else, so there is no boogeyman out there."

The station interviewed Bill Easton, an attorney for Krauseneck, who said, "I'll wait to see the reports, but I'm somewhat skeptical there's not a strand of DNA from anyone else in the house."
New York man accused of wife's cold-case ax murder 37 years later

Retired business executive is charged with killing his wife with an ax in the head 37 years ago | Daily Mail Online

Nov 18, 2019

As a motive behind the killing, Schlosser believes Krauseneck snapped when his wife discovered he had lied to his employer - and her - about earning his doctorate, which Schlosser says he never did achieve.

'Knowing my sister, she was all about education and when she found out that Jim did not actually pass his verbal dissertation - he did not earn his PhD - and he lied about it and was calling himself "Dr. Krauseneck" - when she found out, I am certain she confronted him on it,' Schlosser said.

'He snapped and I believe that is when he killed her.'

[...]

'There's not a proverbial smoking gun,' Chief Catholdi said in a news conference last week. 'What really cinched the case was the fresh look at it.'

Investigators also revealed that one day after Cathleen's murder, Krauseneck missed an interview with police. When they tried to find him authorities discovered that he had moved to Mount Clemens, Michigan, with his daughter Sara.

After investigators traveled there to speak with him, he agreed he would let his daughter speak to a child psychologist - which she never did.

'He gave the appearance of wanting to be cooperative,' investigator Mark Liberatore told The News Tribune in 2016. 'But then he got a lawyer, and we never talked to him again for 34 years.'

A recent report with updates in this case:

Defense in 1982 Brighton ax murder case says serial killer confessed to crime

Krauseneck currently lives in Peoria, Arizona. His defense attorney, Bill Easton, said known serial killer Edward Laraby confessed to the murder at one time. Laraby, who is now deceased, was infamously linked to the 1991 murder of Greece music teacher Stephanie Kupchynsky.

So many killers have "confessed" to various crimes they didn't commit, I wonder how credible Laraby's statement about the Brighton case might be. I understand he lived not far away from where that murder happened, but putting him at the CS after all these years would be virtually impossible for LE, and he's deceased.

Henry Lee Lucas
confessed to a bunch of murders he didn't do. I think it's part of the control freak nature of a lot of killers, and they love the notoriety and attention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back