NY NY - Dean Lewis, 42, Hamlin Beach State Park, 25 Sep 2003

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
On September 29, 2003, New York State Park Police responded to the park for a report of illegal camping and a suspicious vehicle. When police arrived, one of the workers at the campground said the man camping at the site had failed to check out at 11 a.m. and left his van at the site. He was last seen on September 25, 2003.

The 1987 Volkswagen van was registered to Dean Lewis, who was traveling around the country alone and stayed within state parks. Police said the van was in proper working order and very clean.

State Police hopes for new leads in 2003 missing man case

506f49bb-cef9-4e22-9984-cfc29346c208-large16x9_DeanLewis.JPG

e2f9844d-edd0-4622-b09c-24b24821145d-large16x9_Lewisvan.jpg

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date of Last Contact September 25, 2003
Missing From Hamlin, New York
Missing Age 42 Years
Current Age 57 Years

First Name Dean
Middle Name Merlin
Last Name Lewis
Sex Male
Height 5' 11" (71 Inches)
Weight 175 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact September 25, 2003
NamUs Case Created August 31, 2010
Location Hamlin, New York
County Monroe County

Circumstances of Disappearance Dean Lewis has not been seen or heard from since entering Hamlin Beach State Park in Hamlin, NY on September 25, 2003. Lewis's 1987 Volkswagen van was found abandoned on September 29, 2003 at the Hamlin Beach State Park Campgrounds. Lewis traveled to the East Coast staying in campgrounds within State Parks prior to his disappearance.

Physical Description

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description When last seen, Lewis had his hair pulled back in a ponytail.
Left Eye Color Blue
Right Eye Color Blue
Eye Description Lewis wears eyeglasses.

Dean Merlin Lewis – The Charley Project
  • dean_m._lewis_2.jpg
"Lewis enjoys doing extensive traveling and has lived in his van, which has a kitchen and sleeping area, for months at a time. He relies on a trust fund to support himself. His family says he kept to himself but it is uncharacteristic for him not to contact them for this long a time. His case remains unsolved."
"Last updated February 14, 2019; middle name added, distinguishing characteristics updated."

Bumping case up for Dean.

An article from 2018:
State Police hopes for new leads in 2003 missing man case

"When police arrived, one of the workers at the campground said the man camping at the site had failed to check out at 11 a.m. and left his van at the site. He was last seen on September 25, 2003....

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call State Police in Canandaigua at (585)-398-4100."

Last edited:
Apologies for reposting an article above that was already posted at the top.

Of course, I hope Dean is alive out there.

Just also taking a look at unidentified victims on NamUs.
Can anyone log in and see if there are any rules-outs for this man linked below, found in Monroe County, NY in 2012?

NamUs #UP12469

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

There are no exclusions listed.

Thanks. Hmmmm, I guess I should have also asked whether they both have DNA available. I can't decide whether LE would have already considered whether this could be a match. It's obviously a mega- long shot. I found it easily by searching by county; There are probably so many people this unknown could be, sadly.

This seems like an odd disapearence as it appears he knew what he was doing traveling by himself, and he wasn't real young. Perhaps he had a lot of cash with him or something? Maybe the wrong person figured that out? For him to just wander off would be odd, but maybe he had issues that might make him do that although that possibility is never mentioned in what I've read so far.

After reading more about Hamlin Beach State Park, I wonder if he drowned there and his body was never found? Of course late Sept is probably past swimming season, but maybe he accidentally got into the water somehow? Was he known to like water or swimming? Could he swim? That might be an explanation for this disapearence.

Bumping case up, though probably not much we can do to help his case.

@summergirl1 I agree that's possible. Or perhaps got lost/had a medical episode while on a hike?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back