GUILTY NY - Destini Smothers 26, found inside a car trunk, Queens, 3 Nov 2020 *Arrest*

The reporting is a bit misleading. The car was abandoned on a block near the Belt Parkway in Springfield Gardens. The tow truck driver pulled over about two miles away in South Ozone Park to look for the spare tire.

Springfield Gardens to Lefferts Blvd, South Ozone Park – Google Maps
(Points are not exact)

I think this video explains it the best, beginning at the 1:03 mark:

Okay, so....there really wasn't any evidence that she did jump out of the car and run from him, was there? No videos were ever found?

Looks toi me like that was just a BS story he told. Reality is that he tussled with her, he overpowered her and tossed her in his trunk. He dumped the car, took off to parts unknown. Called her family to say she was last seen on the Parkway, and it took this long to find the car. :(

I also think that she wouldn't have left all of her belongings behind, either.
From the beginning of this case when I read about her missing on nbc's Dateline FB page, I thought someone 'disappeared' her. :mad:
Just want to say I didn't care for some of the comments which seemed to be victim blaming on nbc' site.
How about extremely harsh punishments for people who hurt others ??
To make the next person reconsider ?

How horrible for the tow truck driver to discover her like that !
Rest in gentle peace, Destini ! :(

Body found in trunk of car in Queens believed to be woman missing since November: NYPD | PIX11

Family members of Smothers broke down at the scene. They’ve been desperately searching for her since November. She disappeared after a night out for her birthday at an Astoria bowling alley. Her boyfriend had said the two got in a fight when she walked out of his car without any of her belongings.

They say the discovery further substantiates their belief that Destini’s boyfriend was up to something, as he had been driving the car that was found.

“He had some involvement, that was the car he was driving,” said cousin Tina Fowler, who said that the boyfriend had even identified where Smothers left his car on a previous trip to Queens. “The car went missing, she went missing. It points to him.”

I just can’t get over the fact that LE seemingly just accepted his story.

It took a poster here 5 minutes to show that the place where Destini “jumped out the car” was highly unlikely. Even after an argument, women will grab at least their phone and purse. She has two children, but she just walked away without a backward glance??

So many huge red flags towards involvement of the person she was with at the time, yet he was allowed to just walk away unchallenged.

I just can’t get over the fact that LE seemingly just accepted his story.

It took a poster here 5 minutes to show that the place where Destini “jumped out the car” was highly unlikely. Even after an argument, women will grab at least their phone and purse. She has two children, but she just walked away without a backward glance??

So many huge red flags towards involvement of the person she was with at the time, yet he was allowed to just walk away unchallenged.
Why do you think LE accepted his story? LE hasn't even spoken to him yet AFAIK so he definitely wasn't allowed to walk away unchallenged.

He told Destini’s family that they had gotten into an argument, Destini got out on the Grand Central Parkway and walked away, leaving her purse, wallet, keys and ID behind. Then he stopped answering calls.

My understanding is that he is still missing but wanted for questioning. And, I hope they find him soon. :mad: MOO

MAR 12, 2021
Grieving family of woman found dead in trunk of abandoned car in Queens seeks closure and answers
The heartbroken mother of an upstate woman found dead in the trunk of a car in Queens joined loved ones for a vigil Thursday night while investigators searched for clues about the grisly disappearance and murder.

[...]

“We went everywhere. We went to Maryland. We went to Pennsylvania. We were searching on the sides of the highway. We even reached out to spiritualists,” said cousin DFW “We’ve done all that we could. We want done right by Destini.”

[...]

“She is in disbelief,” MW said. “Her heart is broken. She is distraught. Destini is her first daughter. She was her confidant and best friend. They were like twins. They even looked alike.”

Smothers, who lived in Troy with her boyfriend Kareem Flake, the father of her two sons, had traveled to Queens to attend a funeral for Flake’s grandmother, relatives said.

[...]

Williams said officials told the family that Smothers was found wearing camouflage pants when she was found, the same type of pants she was wearing when she disappeared.

Flake didn’t attend Thursday’s vigil, and has mostly cut off contact with Smothers’ family — though on Wednesday, he participated in a Zoom call with his and Smothers’ two young sons, [names redacted] the dead woman’s family said.

“When they asked about their mother, he said, ‘They are putting things in your head,’ and hung up on them,” said Smothers’ cousin, LF.

LF, 42, went to the scene where the car was found, but police wouldn’t let her look at the body.

“She was unidentifiable. They had to identify her through dental records, fingerprints and her tattoo,” Fowler said.

The tattoo, on her right wrist, was her boyfriend’s name.

[...]

MAR 12, 2021
Upstate New York woman found dead in car trunk was killed by blow to the head, death ruled a homicide
An upstate New York woman found dead inside the trunk of her abandoned car in Queens was killed by a blow to the head that fractured her skull, the city medical examiner said Friday.

[...]

Her death was ruled a homicide after an autopsy found a blunt impact injury to the head, along with the skull fracture and a brain injury, said ME spokeswoman Aja Worthy-Davis.

[...]

Smothers had traveled to Jackson Heights, Queens from Troy, N.Y., to attend the funeral of her boyfriend’s grandmother when she disappeared four months ago. A tow truck operator found her body when he popped the trunk looking a spare tire.

[...]

Flake, father to their sons [names redacted] was missing from Thursday’s vigil where mourners lit votive candles and sent balloons into the sky.

But he participated in a Zoom call on Wednesday with his two young children, the dead woman’s family said.

[...]

Extending my heartfelt condolences and prayers for Destini's family and loved ones. This is beyond devastating. :(

Rest in peace, Destini.

g10024.gif

MAR 13, 2021
Death of 26-Year-Old Missing Mom Found in NYC Trunk Ruled a Homicide – NBC New York
[...]

A senior NYPD official told News 4 the car had been abandoned and parked on 134th Avenue for "awhile" before sanitation tow trucks came to pick it up Wednesday. Neighbors said that the car had been parked there for months, and say abandoned cars in the are are all too common.

The tow truck crew drove off with the vehicle, then noticed a problem with a tire and pulled over on Lefferts Boulevard to pop the trunk and look for a new one, said NYPD Chief Reuben Beltran. Police said the truck made it to South Ozone park when the body was found.

[...]

"He actually got in my car and took me to where he said she jumped out in Astoria. Took me and my family," said TF, a cousin of Smothers'. "I don't understand how he did that. But he did it and we found the car, the car is found now, she's found."

Since that drive, Smothers' family says the boyfriend has gone missing. It wasn't clear if the Camry where the body was found Wednesday was the same one Smothers owned. ...

[...]

Police sources confirmed to NBC New York that they are actively looking to find and speak with Smothers' boyfriend. ...

[...]

Death of 26-Year-Old Missing Mom Found in NYC Trunk Ruled a Homicide

To Note:
•the car had been abandoned and parked on 134th Avenue for "awhile"
•the car had been parked there for months, and say abandoned cars in the are are all too common
•tow truck crew drove off with the vehicle, then noticed a problem with a tire and pulled over on Lefferts Boulevard to pop the trunk; that’s when the body was discovered
clothing on the body matched what Smothers was wearing when she was reported missing
•Her ID was also on her
•Since that drive, Smothers' family says the boyfriend has gone missing.
•No suspects have officially been named in the death

Medical Examiner Releases Cause Of Death For Missing Upstate Mother Destini Smothers

March 13 (2 hrs ago)

According to the OCME, Smothers died from a blunt impact head and brain injury. Her death has been ruled a homicide.

Smothers’ body was found in the trunk of an abandoned vehicle in Queens on Wednesday morning. A neighbor told CBS2 the vehicle had been there for about two months before they started contacting 311 to have it towed.

Body Of Missing Mom Who Vanished After Fight With Boyfriend Found In Trunk Of Plateless Car | Oxygen Official Site

A missing upstate New York mother who vanished while visiting Queens to attend a funeral was found dead inside a plateless car this week.

The NYPD confirmed to Oxygen.com on Friday via email that the body has been identified as Smothers.

The owner of the plateless Toyota hasn't been determined by investigators, but family members of Smothers reportedly told PIX11 that her boyfriend was driving a similar car.

IMO LE dropped the ball. The least they could do is step up now.
Agree !!
I am sure NY /Queens LE are busy, busy, but someone should have been keeping an eye on the BF/baby daddy this whole time. They probably don't have the resources, but darn it, he could be anywhere in the USA or another country by now. UGH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexWorksInTelly
Back