NY NY - Dorothy Arnold, 25, New York, 1910

OT:
An acquaintance of mine said her father worked for the Pinkertons. He disappeared when she was a kid and was never seen again. She said her family didn't dare look for him because he was a Pinkerton. I had (and still have) no clue what the big deal about them is, so what's up with them?
They were instrumental in the chase and capture of Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, for one. Precluders to our FBI.

Pinkerton (detective agency) - Wikipedia

It does add to the mystery of her disappearance that her father possible disappeared himself. And as far as the Pinkerton detectives, I have read some stories of unscrupulous behavior at times, but always assumed they were mostly a threat to criminals (like the James family for example).

It does add to the mystery of her disappearance that her father possible disappeared himself. And as far as the Pinkerton detectives, I have read some stories of unscrupulous behavior at times, but always assumed they were mostly a threat to criminals (like the James family for example).
The Pinkertons were also a threat to people striking. Robber barons hired Pinkertons to physically intimidate people on strike, unionizing, etc.

What a fascinating thread this is. My initial thought is that Dorothy died after an unsafe abortion.

jmo

The Pinkertons were also a threat to people striking. Robber barons hired Pinkertons to physically intimidate people on strike, unionizing, etc.

What a fascinating thread this is. My initial thought is that Dorothy died after an unsafe abortion.

jmo
Don't get me started on those Pinkertons. They were what most police these days are: protectors of the wealthy. A true template for what became of justice, the Pinkertons.

Oh, my inquiry had to do with an acquaintance's father who disappeared working for the Pinkertons, not Dorothy's father, if that's your meaning.

I come from a very long line of New Yorkers, much old money and many old stories till the old money eventually ran dry, leaving the old stories glistening like rocks in an empty stream. Dorothy Arnold's was one of those. We heard this one told us as children, a cautionary tale yet one whose telling convinced us Dorothy was right to cast caution aside and live her life as she saw fit. No call ever came, as the story of the gown-shopping goes, and the great mystery left behind let Dorothy disappear in its shadows.

At least that is how we children heard it, three-quarters of a century later.

Oh, my inquiry had to do with an acquaintance's father who disappeared working for the Pinkertons, not Dorothy's father, if that's your meaning.
I totally misunderstood your post...your "she" became Dorothy in my mind. Apologies for the goof.

I come from a very long line of New Yorkers, much old money and many old stories till the old money eventually ran dry, leaving the old stories glistening like rocks in an empty stream. Dorothy Arnold's was one of those. We heard this one told us as children, a cautionary tale yet one whose telling convinced us Dorothy was right to cast caution aside and live her life as she saw fit. No call ever came, as the story of the gown-shopping goes, and the great mystery left behind let Dorothy disappear in its shadows.

At least that is how we children heard it, three-quarters of a century later.
Hi Calicoco. I've been doing some research on Dorothy Arnold and have found some interesting information. If you would be willing to correspond with me on the topic I'd love to share what I found and see if it was part of the old stories. I see you're listed as a Former Member so you'll probably never see this, but if you do--- cowalker10@gmail.com

What an incredible, fascinating mystery. I had to read it all, without stopping.

At first I was sure her disappearance had to do with an abortion that didn't end well but as your ideas/conclusions developed I could hear so many (various police agencies, her family) stating that they knew where she was and that everything was ok. A member found what could be a listing for her in a boarding house through a census. If she was no longer welcome at home that was one of the only avenue opened to her.

Please keep up your researches, some of you are so good, and I would love to continue reading your findings. Maybe even to a conclusion?

I’ve been off of WS for a while and am excited to see some renewed interest in Dorothy Arnold. This is one of my top five historical mysteries!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back