NY NY - East Islip, WhtFem 15-23, UP11774, in shallow grave, ring w/ D.E.C, clog shoe, belt, Apr'78

On the Doe Network page, it says she is "white (with other ethnicity)" - I wonder what other ethnicity/ethnicities? That might be helpful in finding her identity.

That might be tough as the terms white and "other ethnicities" have changed over the last 40 years.

For example, 40 years ago in New York, such a combination of terms like "white / other ethnicities" may have referred to Italians or Greeks. Such people may well have been described as "white, but also have their Mediterranean origins noted as "other ethnicity".

Anecdotally, 30 years ago in the deep south I was considered by some locals as being a "other white" to mean that while I was white, my last name and religion was not Anglo Saxon / not generally associated with Anglo Saxons. Thus, I was classified as a "white" but "other ethnic"- despite the fact that I had never even been to my great grandfather's country of origin.

That might be tough as the terms white and "other ethnicities" have changed over the last 40 years.

For example, 40 years ago in New York, such a combination of terms like "white / other ethnicities" may have referred to Italians or Greeks. Such people may well have been described as "white, but also have their Mediterranean origins noted as "other ethnicity".

Anecdotally, 30 years ago in the deep south I was considered by some locals as being "white / other ethnicity" to mean that while I was white, my last name and religion was not Anglo Saxon / not generally associated with Anglo Saxons. Thus, I was classified as a "white" but "other ethnic".
Ugh.. Thanks for the info!! That's incredibly frustrating. It's crazy how the meaning of something can change so drastically over time.

Ugh.. Thanks for the info!! That's incredibly frustrating. It's crazy how the meaning of something can change so drastically over time.

I agree. Maybe somebody from New York area would know how the term "White, other ethnic" was used back then. I am guessing though, it meant "white, but non Anglo Saxon in complection"

Bonita can’t be compared because her files were lost by police and the files contained her dental records. I think DNA is available though because she has been ruled out as being other Jane does.

She could also be Sandra breed who ran away from home in 1964

I agree. Maybe somebody from New York area would know how the term "White, other ethnic" was used back then. I am guessing though, it meant "white, but non Anglo Saxon in complection"
Yeah Iam from NY and I have to say ... I have No Idea what that means!

I think this could be Cynthia Constantine because she has light colored hair like the UID but the ring that was found had the initials of DS so it could be Denise Sheehy.

From CW forum

10465_thumbnail-1024.jpg
P9050064.jpg
348s.jpg
IMG_3275.jpg
IMG_3260.jpg

Yeah Iam from NY and I have to say ... I have No Idea what that means!

The more I think about it, I think it is an old term for “hyphenated White”. Likewise, I am thinking the term was assigned due to a Mediterranean completion.

As you know, at that time, a certain number of New York whites self-identified as being white, but also self-identified by their ethnic subgroup ie Italian, Greek, Polish, Irish- American. Years ago, I met a Jewish man from New York who identified as “Jewish”, then “Jewish -white” on his enlistment paperwork. The military did not have such classifications and he was told that for military paper work, he was just “white”.

Perhaps the term “White, other ethnic” has since faded as less whites in the area still self-identify by their ethnic subgroup?

Cynthia was already submitted but was possibly not compared.

This is the email a got after submitting the possible match:

Your potential match was previously submitted to Doe Network and was forwarded to law enforcement.

Best,
Mary Bell
Doe Network

The more I think about it, I think it is an old term for “hyphenated White”. Likewise, I am thinking the term was assigned due to a Mediterranean completion.

As you know, at that time, a certain number of New York whites self-identified as being white, but also self-identified by their ethnic subgroup ie Italian, Greek, Polish, Irish- American. Years ago, I met a Jewish man from New York who identified as “Jewish”, then “Jewish -white” on his enlistment paperwork. The military did not have such classifications and he was told that for military paper work, he was just “white”.

Perhaps the term “White, other ethnic” has since faded as less whites in the area still self-identify by their ethnic subgroup?
You know Cryptic you are Absolutely right. I grew up here in NYC and nobody said they were white. My friends who like me were all mostly first generation of immigrant parents We would say and actually do still say Irish, English, German,Greek, Italian, Polish Jewish and forth.
Then even the Hispanic/Latinos the same. Like me I say Iam Cuban even though many people "think" Iam white?!and are surprised and say To me you don't Look Cuban and my answer has always been .. What does Cuban look like.?
My friends Puerto Rican's Dominicans, Colombians..nobody said Iam Latino or Hispanic... we all said what our parents were. My Block was always so diverse, it was wonderful.
It's true what you have mentioned. So going back to the Jane doe prob her skin was white but she looked Greek Italian Irish Polish Jewish or something that gave her an ethnic look to her is my guess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back