NY NY - Ellery, Rte 17, WhtFem 30-37, UP15489 193UFNY, GSW, poss from Canada or Europe, note, clothes, Dec'83

On this site you can see pictures of her coat. Jane Doe Chautauqua County

And this is a clearer picture. View attachment 407993

Thanks for providing this image. I presume they are showing the coat with the reversible olive drab showing rather than the check or plaid colouring. It is very muted. I'm also wondering about the sweater. You can tell the clothing has been stored for a while but what I find curious is that there are no bullet holes in the sweater. Whether they are showing it back to front wouldn't there be evidence of bullet holes (as well as a lot of blood) since she was shot both in the chest and the back. I don't think it would be very easy to get blood stains out of a woolen sweater.

Thanks for providing this image. I presume they are showing the coat with the reversible olive drab showing rather than the check or plaid colouring. It is very muted. I'm also wondering about the sweater. You can tell the clothing has been stored for a while but what I find curious is that there are no bullet holes in the sweater. Whether they are showing it back to front wouldn't there be evidence of bullet holes (as well as a lot of blood) since she was shot both in the chest and the back. I don't think it would be very easy to get blood stains out of a woolen sweater.
No idea about the staining, but on the picture on that facebook, I can see at least three clear holes in the jumper fabric on the front of the dummy (the without the coat photo).

Now, they could be from samples taken (though I think techs usually label their sample sites with fabric marker) or holes from moths from improper storage (though I'd hope not), but more than likely those are from the gunshots that killed her. We know she was shot three times, twice in the front, once in the back (plus additional shot to the mouth), so one is possibly an exit wound from the shot to the back. (Either that, or the jumper was twisted on her body somehow, and they're all entry holes.)

Strike all that, I just looked closer and realised the jumper has a repeating pattern of clusters of yarn-overs. I'm an experienced knitter, I should have caught that, but I didn't until I figured out how to zoom in much closer. Mea culpa. I'm good at knitting but I'm not a Facebooker, I don't know how to drive it.

MOO

No idea about the staining, but on the picture on that facebook, I can see at least three clear holes in the jumper fabric on the front of the dummy (the without the coat photo).

Now, they could be from samples taken (though I think techs usually label their sample sites with fabric marker) or holes from moths from improper storage (though I'd hope not), but more than likely those are from the gunshots that killed her. We know she was shot three times, twice in the front, once in the back (plus additional shot to the mouth), so one is possibly an exit wound from the shot to the back. (Either that, or the jumper was twisted on her body somehow, and they're all entry holes.)

Strike all that, I just looked closer and realised the jumper has a repeating pattern of clusters of yarn-overs. I'm an experienced knitter, I should have caught that, but I didn't until I figured out how to zoom in much closer. Mea culpa. I'm good at knitting but I'm not a Facebooker, I don't know how to drive it.

MOO

I don't how these investigators worked with blood evidence. Sometimes all the victim's clothing is kept, sometimes only patches are kept for DNA or blood analysis. Based on how wrinkled those clothes wear I suspect the items were kept whole since her discovery. She was also found in a ditch, I believe, only several hours after death. Was she submerged in water? Was there a lot of snow on the ground that diluted any blood evidence.

It makes it even more confusing as to what happened to her. The lack of underwear, nylons and shoes suggest a possible sexual assault but not seeing any blood evidence on the clothes makes me wonder how she came to be shot.

I don't know if this was a random crime where the victim didn't know her assailant. Putting a gun into someone's mouth is a very personal thing to do. It can be construed as a threat without any pulling of the trigger, a warning so to speak. But she ended up getting shot 4 times. I'd like to know whether there was an exit wound from the mouth shot or whether small calibre bullets were used.

I'm visualizing her sitting in a chair, tied up, with a gun in her mouth, not knowing if she was really going to get shot. I don't think someone just aimed a gun toward her face and just happened to hit her without causing any exterior damage or stippling around her mouth.

I don't how these investigators worked with blood evidence. Sometimes all the victim's clothing is kept, sometimes only patches are kept for DNA or blood analysis. Based on how wrinkled those clothes wear I suspect the items were kept whole since her discovery. She was also found in a ditch, I believe, only several hours after death. Was she submerged in water? Was there a lot of snow on the ground that diluted any blood evidence.

It makes it even more confusing as to what happened to her. The lack of underwear, nylons and shoes suggest a possible sexual assault but not seeing any blood evidence on the clothes makes me wonder how she came to be shot.

I don't know if this was a random crime where the victim didn't know her assailant. Putting a gun into someone's mouth is a very personal thing to do. It can be construed as a threat without any pulling of the trigger, a warning so to speak. But she ended up getting shot 4 times. I'd like to know whether there was an exit wound from the mouth shot or whether small calibre bullets were used.

I'm visualizing her sitting in a chair, tied up, with a gun in her mouth, not knowing if she was really going to get shot. I don't think someone just aimed a gun toward her face and just happened to hit her without causing any exterior damage or stippling around her mouth.
I would also wonder if she was redressed after death. If the clothes weren't very bloody, and there weren't holes in them, it's a possibility.

But of course, we don't know how the evidence has been handled or processed. In the days before DNA, maybe they thought cleaning the clothing items of blood so they could be shown to the public was their best option to try and identify her. IDK.

MOO

52823122729-ElleryJaneDoe.jpg

The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office says clues are still coming in regarding a cold case involving the death of a woman in the Town of Ellery that occurred nearly four decades ago. The Sheriff's Office Unsolved Crimes Unit says a forensic artist from the Netherlands this week added an enhanced drawing of the victim, referred to as "Ellery Jane Doe." Her body was found on December 6, 1983 on Route 17 after she was shot and abandoned in a rain ditch. Genetic DNA has identified her origins as being from the Netherlands, West Germany, and Belgium. The Unsolved Crimes Unit says information on the Ellery Jane Doe cold case is welcome by e-mailing unsolvedchautauqua@sheriff.us or calling (716) 753-4579 or 4578.

Click here for more details about the Ellery Jane Doe cold case.

Unsolved Crimes Unit looking for public's assistance with 1983 cold case​

10/7/2022 By Dave Rowley,
100722101244-coldcase3.JPG

''The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office Unsolved Crimes Unit is asking the public for information concerning a cold case from December 1983. Investigators are looking for information concerning an unidentified person who was found shot to death in a rain-filled ditch near Route 17, now I-86 in the town of Ellery. The victim has been given the name Ellery Jane Doe.
Detectives say the unidentified woman left behind some clues, including extensive gold dental work from Europe; as well as expensive clothing, including a raincoat from Germany and a skirt, blouse and camisole from Italy. New work by the FBI indicates her DNA links her to the Netherlands, Belgium and West Germany. She left a note inner pocket from a British Columbia Canadian motel. New research indicates the numbers on the note may match up to three phone numbers of Canadian airlines and/or Thomas Brothers map location codes. Ellery Jane Doe was a mother, possibly leaving behind a child or children who would now be in their early or late 40s or early 50s.
Investigators also say she was petite, with curly dark hair, brown eyes and distinctive marks on her left eye, face and behind her left ear. A new drawing of Ellery Jane Doe has been completed and can be seen above.
Anyone one who may have information about Ellery Jane Doe, including where she is from, any family contact information, is being asked to contact the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office at UnsolvedChautauqua@sheriff.us, leave a message on the Sheriff's Office Facebook page, or call (716) 753-4579 or (716) 753-4578.''

According to a post on their Facebook page, a forensic artist from the Netherlands shared the enhanced drawing of Ellery Jane Doe.
1685446185832.jpeg
Officials say genetic DNA identified her origins as being from the Netherlands, West Germany and Belgium and that clothes she was wearing at the time of her death were quality European-branded clothing.

They say she had gold filings, a mole over her left eye and one on her left cheek, a skin scar behind her left ear. They believe she was a mother, and also had a tracheostomy scar. She had brown hair and brown eyes and was approximately 32-35 years-old. She was 5 feet and 4 inches tall and weighed about 128 lbs. when she was found. Officials believe she may have passed through Western Canada.

According to a post on their Facebook page, a forensic artist from the Netherlands shared the enhanced drawing of Ellery Jane Doe.
View attachment 425431
Officials say genetic DNA identified her origins as being from the Netherlands, West Germany and Belgium and that clothes she was wearing at the time of her death were quality European-branded clothing.

They say she had gold filings, a mole over her left eye and one on her left cheek, a skin scar behind her left ear. They believe she was a mother, and also had a tracheostomy scar. She had brown hair and brown eyes and was approximately 32-35 years-old. She was 5 feet and 4 inches tall and weighed about 128 lbs. when she was found. Officials believe she may have passed through Western Canada.
The tracheotomy is significant and this UID's strongest identifier, IMO.

According to Wikipedia:
There are four main reasons why someone would receive a tracheotomy:

1. Emergency airway access
  2. Airway access for prolonged mechanical ventilation
  3. Functional or mechanical upper airway obstruction
  4. Decreased/incompetent clearance of tracheobronchial secretions

I would also wonder if she was redressed after death. If the clothes weren't very bloody, and there weren't holes in them, it's a possibility.

But of course, we don't know how the evidence has been handled or processed. In the days before DNA, maybe they thought cleaning the clothing items of blood so they could be shown to the public was their best option to try and identify her. IDK.

MOO
Blood was present on her camisole. Old flyer/sketch but her eyes still look the same in both. Those places of origin, eyes & the trache scar should be enough if the right person is looking for their estranged loved one!

Attachments

• EAFFD206-B01F-4704-BAD2-21667FAE648A.jpeg
    EAFFD206-B01F-4704-BAD2-21667FAE648A.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Anything more about Dorothy Mastrangelo?
This was posted on 9/20/23 on the Facebook site ColdCasesReopened. It was on a post requesting info about Dorothy:

“Sarah Young
She is still missing. Her mother listed her as deceased in her obituary because she was declared deceased after being missing over 10 years. Nothing was heard from her after her disappearance.

I am her neice.”

This was posted on 9/20/23 on the Facebook site ColdCasesReopened. It was on a post requesting info about Dorothy:

“Sarah Young
She is still missing. Her mother listed her as deceased in her obituary because she was declared deceased after being missing over 10 years. Nothing was heard from her after her disappearance.

I am her neice.”
Thank you @Find Brenda Was the niece led to a possible connection with Ellery Doe?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/christopher-wilder-may-have-killed-unknown-woman-known-as-ellery-jane-doe/news-story/296d64758b3b73598ea20ab157c18523&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=GROUPA-Segment-1-NOSCORE

Notorious Australian serial killer linked to unsolved US murder

New York cold case detectives believe the body of a woman found 40 years ago may have travelled from Australia with one of the country’s most prolific serial killers before he killed her.

Unfortunately, this article is behind a paywall. But just a few moments ago, I saw Ellery Jane Doe's case featured on the TODAY show here in Australia. Detectives in New York have reached out to the Australian Police, as they believe Ellery Jane Doe might have been murdered by Christopher Wilder and that she may have possibly travelled with him from Australia.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/christopher-wilder-may-have-killed-unknown-woman-known-as-ellery-jane-doe/news-story/296d64758b3b73598ea20ab157c18523&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=GROUPA-Segment-1-NOSCORE

Unfortunately, this article is behind a paywall. But just a few moments ago, I saw Ellery Jane Doe's case featured on the TODAY show here in Australia. Detectives in New York have reached out to the Australian Police, as they believe Ellery Jane Doe might have been murdered by Christopher Wilder and that she may have possibly travelled with him from Australia.

Thank you for the link!
The story is accessible via this video at link.

Interesting. She was linked to Wilder because? Same MO? Can they place him in New York at the time? Are they going to test his DNA, against DNA found on the crimescene? Somehow the news, without more details, feels a bit like "Let's pull just another serial killer off the shelf". But hé, what do I know :)

Wilder's thread - a Wser in the last post said they met him in 1983..fwiw.

I've read a lot about Christopher Wilder by now. He can at least be placed in New York on the 12th of April 1984 when Dawnette Sue Wilt of Dyer, Ind., was found on a Yates County <New York> rural road at 10:30 A.M. yesterday (12th) As she was abducted by him on April 10th, 1984 in Indiana, taken to New York and survived his attacks, this can be seen as fact. Near Penn Yan <NY, Yates county> Wilder took Wilt into the woods and attempted to suffocate her before stabbing her twice and leaving her.
A MOST-WANTED FUGITIVE SOUGHT IN GIRL'S STABBING (Published 1984)

Welt told police he was heading for Canada. From various sources, on the same day Wilt was found (April, 12, 1984), he abducted yet again a woman (Beth Elaine Dodge) in Victor <NY, Ontario county> near Rochester. Killed and dumped her. Then he seems to have driven to Logan Airport in Boston <in Massachusetts> to get his accomplice/victim? Tina Marie Risico take a plane to Los Angeles. In Beverly, MA, he again allegedly tried to abduct a woman, without succes and on April 13, 1984 he dies by gunshot wounds in Colebrook, New Hampshire, near the Canadian border, while apprehended by police.

So far all this happened in 1984 and Ellery Doe was found in December 1983.

But

State Police continue to investigate the 1983 murder of Shari Lynne Ball | Orleans Hub
On October 29, 1983, a body was found by a hunter off the shoulder of Route 63 in the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge, in the town of Shelby, Orleans County, NY. The victim was found in a severely decomposed state and was believed to have been there for several months. In 2014 she was identified as Shari Lynne Ball missing since June 27, 1983. She was reported missing by her family in June 1983 to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office in Florida. She was living in Boca Raton, FL at the time. She had told her family that she was going to New York State with an unknown friend to pursue a modeling career.

The investigation into her death is still going on, but there a voices saying she could have been the victim of Christopher Wilder. If this turns out to be true we come a little bit closer to Wilder being a possible suspect in the killing of Ellery Doe. It would mean he could have been in New York from approx. June until approx. late December 1983.

Returning back to Florida to start killing again on February 26, 1984, when Rosario Gonzalez went missing from Miami, Fl. and the first murder in a range in 1984, Wilder is suspected of.

Interesting all together. Let's wait and see what LE can find out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back