NY - Fahim Saleh, 33, millionaire tech entrepreneur, dismembered, Manhattan, 15 July 2020 *Arrest*

Some MSM statements
Into the victim and accused charged.

A Young CEO, an Ex-Assistant and a Grisly Murder

Mr. Saleh’s family declined to comment for this article. A Gokada spokesman said that Mr. Haspil wasn’t an employee or involved with the firm in any way.

Friends of Mr. Saleh and Mr. Haspil are still trying to understand the two men’s relationship.

Some of Mr. Saleh’s friends and former colleagues said they had never heard of Mr. Haspil before the killing. Those who were aware of Mr. Haspil said he was a peripheral person in Mr. Saleh’s life.

What is clear is that while Mr. Saleh and Mr. Haspil came from very different backgrounds, both showed talent and entrepreneurial spirit at an early age.

Mr. Haspil spent part of his teenage years living with a foster family. During high school, in Valley Stream, N.Y., he made and sold his own peanut butter. He also created a business called ”Rent-A-Brother,” in which he rented himself out for the day. He placed first in a regional Future Business Leaders of America competition for his web design skills.

Mr. Haspil was generous, too, said one of his friends, C. Parola. He paid for people’s lunches. He once gave a friend a pineapple plant as a gift. He bought Parola a tracksuit, for no reason other than he knew his friend wanted it.

“He never complained about money,” Parola said. “He never really complained, period.”

In March 2018, Mr. Saleh emailed a three-man team in Bogotá who had built a motorbike ride-hailing app. “I just received a call one day and the next week he’s in Colombia with us,” said D Rodriguez, the co-founder and chief executive of what would become the ride-hailing and package-delivery company Picap.

At that time, the app was facilitating 2,000 rides a day, Rodriguez said. Mr. Saleh met the founders and talked to drivers. A few weeks later, Mr. Saleh deposited $250,000 into a bank account he established for Picap in the U.S. and sent the bank cards to Colombia.

The firm grew quickly and before the pandemic was averaging two million rides a month, including a growing package-delivery business, Rodriguez said. The firm’s founders got locked out of their U.S. bank account sometimes, Mr. Rodriguez said, and on at least two occasions, between October 2018 and April 2019, Mr. Haspil helped to unlock the account for them from the U.S.

None of Mr. Saleh’s friends or colleagues could say when he hired Mr. Haspil or the length of Mr. Haspil’s employment.

Parola said the last time he saw Mr. Haspil was in January 2019. Mr. Haspil took Parola and other former high school friends out in New York City. Mr. Haspil had dropped out of Hofstra University one year earlier. But he had enough money to pay for everyone’s dinner, drinks and tickets to a comedy show.

Parola said that after the show Mr. Haspil invited them back to what Mr. Haspil said was his Manhattan apartment. He explained his newfound wealth by saying that he worked for the CEO of a tech company based in Nigeria and that he traveled to Africa to close deals.

“We were impressed, but not surprised, just because of how he was in high school,” Parola said.

More @link
WS/TOS

Some MSM statements

Mr. Saleh’s family declined to comment for this article. A Gokada spokesman said that Mr. Haspil wasn’t an employee or involved with the firm in any way.

Friends of Mr. Saleh and Mr. Haspil are still trying to understand the two men’s relationship.

Some of Mr. Saleh’s friends and former colleagues said they had never heard of Mr. Haspil before the killing. Those who were aware of Mr. Haspil said he was a peripheral person in Mr. Saleh’s life.

What is clear is that while Mr. Saleh and Mr. Haspil came from very different backgrounds, both showed talent and entrepreneurial spirit at an early age.

Mr. Haspil spent part of his teenage years living with a foster family. During high school, in Valley Stream, N.Y., he made and sold his own peanut butter. He also created a business called ”Rent-A-Brother,” in which he rented himself out for the day. He placed first in a regional Future Business Leaders of America competition for his web design skills.

Mr. Haspil was generous, too, said one of his friends, C. Parola. He paid for people’s lunches. He once gave a friend a pineapple plant as a gift. He bought Parola a tracksuit, for no reason other than he knew his friend wanted it.

“He never complained about money,” Parola said. “He never really complained, period.”

In March 2018, Mr. Saleh emailed a three-man team in Bogotá who had built a motorbike ride-hailing app. “I just received a call one day and the next week he’s in Colombia with us,” said D Rodriguez, the co-founder and chief executive of what would become the ride-hailing and package-delivery company Picap.

At that time, the app was facilitating 2,000 rides a day, Rodriguez said. Mr. Saleh met the founders and talked to drivers. A few weeks later, Mr. Saleh deposited $250,000 into a bank account he established for Picap in the U.S. and sent the bank cards to Colombia.

The firm grew quickly and before the pandemic was averaging two million rides a month, including a growing package-delivery business, Rodriguez said. The firm’s founders got locked out of their U.S. bank account sometimes, Mr. Rodriguez said, and on at least two occasions, between October 2018 and April 2019, Mr. Haspil helped to unlock the account for them from the U.S.

None of Mr. Saleh’s friends or colleagues could say when he hired Mr. Haspil or the length of Mr. Haspil’s employment.

Parola said the last time he saw Mr. Haspil was in January 2019. Mr. Haspil took Parola and other former high school friends out in New York City. Mr. Haspil had dropped out of Hofstra University one year earlier. But he had enough money to pay for everyone’s dinner, drinks and tickets to a comedy show.

Parola said that after the show Mr. Haspil invited them back to what Mr. Haspil said was his Manhattan apartment. He explained his newfound wealth by saying that he worked for the CEO of a tech company based in Nigeria and that he traveled to Africa to close deals.

“We were impressed, but not surprised, just because of how he was in high school,” Parola said.

More @link
WS/TOS

^^^^^^

“Mr. Haspil was generous, too, said one of his friends, C. Parola. He paid for people’s lunches. He once gave a friend a pineapple plant as a gift. He bought Parola a tracksuit, for no reason other than he knew his friend wanted it”

I guess everything is relative but lunch, a pineapple plant and a tracksuit doesn’t equate to being generous for whatever that is worth. Perhaps Parola was grasping for something to say...

Conflicting statements between the firm saying he was not involved with them in any way and then another saying Haspil unlocking the account the bank account for them.

^^^^^^

“Mr. Haspil was generous, too, said one of his friends, C. Parola. He paid for people’s lunches. He once gave a friend a pineapple plant as a gift. He bought Parola a tracksuit, for no reason other than he knew his friend wanted it”

I guess everything is relative but lunch, a pineapple plant and a tracksuit doesn’t equate to being generous for whatever that is worth. Perhaps Parola was grasping for something to say...

Conflicting statements between the firm saying he was not involved with them in any way and then another saying Haspil unlocking the account the bank account for them.
To be fair, I assume the tracksuit was not cheap. Same thing with the lunch, probably took them to a fancy place.

Haspil is a 21-year-old Hofstra University student. He is being held without bail.

He worked as Saleh’s personal assistant but was fired after Saleh discovered he embezzled approximately $90,000. Hapsil had no previous criminal record and Saleh chose not to press charges.

His lawyers said, “There is much more to this narrative than the accusations, an arrest by the police and a charge by the district attorney.”

I’d love to know what that last para. is all about.

Assistant pleads not guilty in slaying of tech CEO Fahim Saleh
Some MSM statements

More @link
WS/TOS

BBM

Am I the only one here who thinks there might have been a more "personal" relationship between the two?

BBM

Am I the only one here who thinks there might have been a more "personal" relationship between the two?

The thought did cross my mind initially, until we learned about the money TH had stolen.

Now, I just think that TH wanted to live a certain lifestyle that he could only live through using FS money. When FH found out and put a stop to it, TH wasn’t prepared to accept that he would have to go back to living a normal life on a modest salary, so he killed FS so that he wouldn’t have to pay him back, so that he could live FS life and maybe even run his business(es). JMO. Maybe he was envious of FS success and wanted the same for himself? Perhaps he felt entitled?

IMO, he was only thinking short term, renting the Airbnb, buying his female friend gifts, and hadn’t given any thought to the evidence he left behind or what would happen long term. Surely he had to know that LE would check on FS credit cards to see whether there was any activity? And that it would be traced back to him? He seems like a smart guy. Maybe he was just a chancer, prepared to live a life of luxury knowing there would be an expiration date once caught.

BBM

I do think there is more to the story, but I don't know in what ways. I hope LE is bringing in forensic accountants to audit all of the books as there could for instance be additional embezzlement beyond what FS was aware of.

Excellent video (18:26 mins) that outlines the entire story including Haspil’s background.

I agree with the comments made re first degree murder. From everything I've read, that's the opinion I formed too. I look forward to hearing why the charge is second degree.

snipped by me...
I agree with the comments made re first degree murder. From everything I've read, that's the opinion I formed too. I look forward to hearing why the charge is second degree.

It was already explained a couple of pages back - in a nutshell - 1st degree murder charges are only for killed LE, etc. - others are all 2nd degree in New York State.

It was already explained a couple of pages back - in a nutshell - 1st degree murder charges are only for killed LE, etc. - others are all 2nd degree in New York State.

Not according to this:

In New York, murder in the first degree is one form of homicide among others which include second-degree murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, and certain forms of abortion. Intentional murder is elevated to first-degree murder when someone 18 or older, intending to cause the death of another person, actually causes the death of that person or a third person and any one of several aggravating factors is present. Those factors address:
  • The identity of the intended victim (police officers, certain peace officers, correctional employees, judges, witnesses);
  • The circumstances in which the murder was committed (while the defendant was serving a life sentence, during the commission of a specified felony ("felony murder"), for hire, accompanied by torture, in furtherance of a terrorist act); or
  • The nature of the killing(s).
or this:
8. Caused the death of another person under the conditions that showed that you had a depraved indifference for human life.

NY Penal Law § 125.27: Murder in the first degree

Okay - thanks for posting that again @JudgeJudi !
vil-sun.gif

This thread was temporarily closed because of speculation about the girlfriend of the accused which is a violation of TOS. She has not been named as a suspect or POI in this crime. She did give an interview, but I am checking to see if it was published in a MSM source. Even if ithe source is approved, the only thing that would be open for discussion is what she said directly in the interview. NO speculating on her background, upbringing, where she is now, etc.

Now that you have been reminded of the rules, please adhere to them. Further violations regarding this may result in loss of posting privileges. If it is determined that the source of the girlfriend’s interview is not an approved MSM publication, it will be removed and no further talk about her will be allowed. I will make a post if that is the case.

Thread has reopened. Thank you for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly.

CocoChanel

Last edited:
This will be a case based on circumstantial evidence as no-one witnessed the murder.

The black plastic bags that were holding the body parts are made from reprocessed plastic which means that the chemical composition of the bags will be distinctive. As the plastic is cut to make individual bags, a blade leaves distinctive toolmarks along the perforated edge of each bag. As the blade dulls, those marks change. Bags cut within seconds of each other will have virtually identical marks.

The investigators should check his home and car to see if there are similar bags to those holding the body parts. If the toolmarks on the perforated edge match those holding the body parts they will have another really good piece of circumstantial piece of evidence.

First of all - the "ninja" description is simply tabloid fodder. The kinds of masks many wear in NYC amidst Covid-19 can easily look creepy; ninja-esque. Some turn them into works of art, or draw skulls on them.

For the area, $2m+ is quite frankly, to own, in a co-op, a great deal though would also incur co-op fees, amongst others. It's also extremely difficult to BUY especially in a co-op in NYC.

In fact, it is difficult to rent anything at all - if you don't get it right away, or make an exorbitant amount of the rent due (or a guarantor for rental purposes), you won't get it. He likely found a beautiful apartment suiting his needs in a place that is usually safe.

In a typically safe neighborhood in NYC I have been a victim of a very personal crime, and, yes - it took a lot of screaming and banging on doors to obtain help from a neighbor in calling 911. Mine was never solved.

There are often people waiting in the lobbies of nice (or stoops; nice or not so much), for someone else to buzz them in or return home. A well dressed man wearing a mask carrying a briefcase is not too suspect. As businesses were predominantly closed at the time, much business was likely done with those either via phone, chat, or video conferencing from within the home.

Mr. Saleh had just returned from a run, and was likely surprised to see his (I believe former?) employee who was on a payment plan show up unannounced (so it seems) and enter the lift with him. Though for quite some time he had been doing this this man favors, of course, all business needs be done with appointments and distance at the time for pandemic reasons.

Who knows what they discussed that made Mr. Saleh seem uncomfortable? Perhaps he even thought he was going to recoup some of the funds the perpetrator had embezzled. Also, we are not sure when or if Mr. Saleh changed his company cards, nor if anyone bothered to check ID during the purchases.

Why hire such a young man? Look at Mr. Saleh himself. At a much younger age he showed promise and followed through on that. On occasion, a good person can get involved with the wrong people who will blame you for their own mistakes, or provide false/misleading, albeit believable, information. Mr. Saleh seemed to wish to assist those from companies impacted by imminent layoffs, and we are unfortunately unable to predict what will happen with regards to the legal changes occurring rapid-pace in them.

A PA often has the opportunity, with the right mentor/employer, to learn how to build their own companies and maximize their own potential as an entrepreneur. I have received invaluable advice from supervisors and mentors myself, and if you look at PA jobs in NYC they can, yes, be demanding - but they pay well, and the job market here is TOUGH.

A young man beginning his career would be lucky for such an opportunity in Manhattan. Per some articles regarding the perpetrator, I believe Mr. Saleh had been paying him well, and possibly discovered the discrepancies during tax season? A general audit? Who knows?

When faced with an almost impossible challenge of paying back that kind of money, seeing your employer live in luxury, greed can get the most of some. Covid has had a horrible impact on NYC, and the thought of what might happen can drive people to violent acts - which is never excusable.

While purchasing gifts and acting "normal" afterwards doesn't at all seem "normal" per se, everyone copes with things in other ways no matter how horrific. Could he be covering regret from what he had done to one he had considered a friend/mentor/boss? Is this perhaps why he took so long, using a taser, etc. before realizing his implication and likely knowledge of the building? As he did not involve the family member who seems to have disrupted him, one must consider when involved in all aspects of someone's day-to-day you inevitably meet the family at some point.

As far as a Saudi/racist type crime...the Saleh's grew up in the states with his close-knit family, and I know they're kind, generous people who aren't some sort of radicals. Your birthplace does not determine ties to radical organizations whatsoever.

As close as they are, it would make perfect sense for a family member to have a fob and also to buzz in before entering to check on a young male relative or friend. I always provide a spare set of keys to someone I trust in the case I may need help, or to someone who frequently is in contact with me whether it be phone, stopping by, etc.

There is much more that needs to be looked into before making crude remarks - for all anyone knows, a loved one could stumble upon even more unsettling commentary regarding this here, when what they need is love and support.

We're never going to know the real answers, only that someone who did not deserve to be treated in such a way is gone, and what may be a memory for some will be a lifetime without their son, best friend, brother, cousin...a hole that is never filled. We can only hope they carry on his legacy and focus on all the love and positivity he brought into people's lives, however that may be.

The thought did cross my mind initially, until we learned about the money TH had stolen.

Now, I just think that TH wanted to live a certain lifestyle that he could only live through using FS money. When FH found out and put a stop to it, TH wasn’t prepared to accept that he would have to go back to living a normal life on a modest salary, so he killed FS so that he wouldn’t have to pay him back, so that he could live FS life and maybe even run his business(es). JMO. Maybe he was envious of FS success and wanted the same for himself? Perhaps he felt entitled?

IMO, he was only thinking short term, renting the Airbnb, buying his female friend gifts, and hadn’t given any thought to the evidence he left behind or what would happen long term. Surely he had to know that LE would check on FS credit cards to see whether there was any activity? And that it would be traced back to him? He seems like a smart guy. Maybe he was just a chancer, prepared to live a life of luxury knowing there would be an expiration date once caught.

I do agree with you here to some extent, but it seems after being put in a situation in which the job market is scarce, he perhaps panicked.

For the PA, who was likely making 60-100+k per year at this position, the thought of downgrading his lifestyle in the midst of the pandemic could have drawn him to irrational behavior. It's also important to note that the irrational behavior could be a way to cover up all of this, but that is pure speculation - the man is not guilty until investigation is able to prove this and hopefully, if he is the perpetrator, he gives the family a semblance of closure by admitting so.

I have seen the most ridiculous things happen here, and by far, this is the most gut-wrenching to imagine someone I know (not Fahim) plastered all over the news. Many people are simply not thinking clearly at all, and it's possible Covid-19 will be blamed for some of this action. I've been here the whole time and not been violent, felt unsafe in areas once found safe, etc. - people are desperate to the umpteenth degree.

Regarding the AirBnB; the price tag on that mid-Covid is indeed......extravagant. If you look at AirBnB avails in good areas with space (NYC or Brooklyn, etc. you don't get a lot for your money) you'll see it was entirely a strange unnecessarily re-lo and with strange timing. In looking up NoHo AirBnB rentals for an entire unit, they're all basically on sale - people are leaving the city/Burroughs in droves and are also desperate to just get someone in their place to take care of it.

The only instance here for someone to rent anything over 10K (these are all mainly penthouses) is beyond me - you can find AirBnB's in amazing places all over the city and Burroughs with heavy discounts, so if you need to save money....it's nonsensical.

I'm not sure his situation before his AirBnB rental, however, one like his would be very....luxurious. I've had friends need to move part-term (seems he had a month for this apt.), because their roommates were showing possible symptoms as a safety precaution. Is that true for him? I don't know - but, it does happen.

Bottom line, you can get really beautiful places in NYC, etc. for much, much, cheaper to save your bottom line and help out someone who had to leave the city for whatever circumstance. Also, there are some amazing deals and it's a renters market right now.

We're all sort of living short-term unless lucky to have an actual non-rental at this point, so it's nonsensical for someone to spend nearly 20% of the allegedly embezzled funds on a posh AirBnB rental near his (former?) employer.

A P.A. (who also seems to have had more duties than simply a P.A.), would be making well over 100k or at least that, but not too much more. Definitely not enough to cover 18k/month on a rental which would be 216K ish per year. It by all means reads as someone who felt there was an expiration date well before any of this occurred, though you cannot blame the state of the pandemic on any prior actions nor ones that occur throughout.

We may see a Covid law passed, as this man did something unspeakable as have many others during this time. He still had access to Mr. Saleh's cards and car, which isn't too atypical to help out someone when you're trying to get them to job interviews in 80+ degree humidity for, find other means to generate income, keep them out of prison and also understand they're helping their family overseas.

Perhaps, unfortunately, Mr. Saleh did not regularly check these receipts which is why I suggested taxes being due as a possibility for noting it. Wealthy people in NYC will often spend 1k on a small dinner and bottle of wine to entertain prospective clients or in their personal lives, and it is certainly not cheap to order food from a good restaurant for no-contact delivery. I've seen Account Execs write off non corporation meal expenses as those with clients, but on rare occasions - hardly something they'd be let go over nor incur embezzlement accusations.

I surmise this is an issue of misplaced trust, the impact of going from living the high life to month-to-month..all based on poor choices without thinking of implications (if he was the perpetrator of course). Things are really weird in the city, which you know, is part of the charm, though now it's been taken to new levels.

Tabloid fodder again....if one's lover shows up at one's lobby you immediately begin some kind of intimacy (usually in the elevator without looking weirded out and after removing your masks and sanitizing your hands). He very likely didn't have any intimate relationship with this man whatsover other than business, trying to be a friend and do what he would have wanted to do for his own in a seemingly desperate situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back