NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's smart he'll ask for a copy of his mugshot so he can monetize it for distribution. May as well make some lemonade, right? He'll make millions.

He is the master of manipulative promotion, so I agree with you. However, there has been significant coverage of the misuse of his "donation campaigns " in the recent past. Some of his blindsited followers were upset that THEY got screwed out of their own money to pay his lawyers.

Hopefully there will be promotion of the 'misuse of funds' facts that will make the little doners less willing to fund his cause. Not sure what we will see with the big-bucks folks.

all imo, of course.

At least part, if not all, of the indictment is understood to be related to Trump's reimbursement of his then-lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen for a $130,000 hush money payment made to *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels before the 2016 presidential election.

The Trump Organization recorded payments that Trump made to Cohen for that purpose as "legal expenses."

It is a misdemeanor under New York law to misclassify business expenses. That can become a felony if done to cover up another crime.

Trump is the first U.S. president, former or otherwise, to be charged in a criminal case.

A Quinnipiac University poll released this week found that a majority of Americans believe that Trump should be disqualified from running for the White House if he is charged with a crime.

However, there is no law against Trump seeking the presidency while facing charges.

He is the master of manipulative promotion, so I agree with you. However, there has been significant coverage of the misuse of his "donation campaigns " in the recent past. Some of his blindsited followers were upset that THEY got screwed out of their own money to pay his lawyers.

Hopefully there will be promotion of the 'misuse of funds' facts that will make the little doners less willing to fund his cause. Not sure what we will see with the big-bucks folks.

all imo, of course.
IMO the "little donors" really are a millions of his supporters and nothing so far has resulted in their cultish like support for him no matter what he is accused of- I have no doubt his "little donors" will continue to part with their money for whatever cause he puts before them. It is truly beyond belief.

Trump is tentatively planned to appear before a judge during an arraignment on April 4.

The judge likely to hear the case would be Juan Merchan, who has been an acting justice with the State Supreme Court since 2009.

Merchan, who started his career as an assistant district attorney in Manhattan, now has 16 years experience on the bench. The New York Times reports Merchan was born in Bogotá, Colombia, came to the U.S. when he was 6 years old and grew up in Jackson Heights, Queens.

Merchan worked in the State Attorney General's office before he was appointed to the Bronx Family Court bench in 2006.

It would not be the first high-profile trial that Merchan has overseen. Back in 2012, he presided over the case of the woman known as the "soccer mom madam" — who made international headlines for allegedly running an Upper East Side call girl ring for millionaires.

More recently, Merchan also presided over the case of the Trump Organization's former chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, as well as the tax fraud trial in which the family's company was found guilty on 17 counts including charges of conspiracy and falsifying business records.

Weisselberg pleaded guilty to 15 counts and testified against his employer, admitting he was involved in a scheme to defraud federal, state and city tax authorities. He was sentenced to five months in jail.

In January, the 75-year-old former CFO was handcuffed and led out of a Manhattan courtroom after a brief sentencing hearing before Merchan. He was transported to Rikers Island jail, where he is serving his sentence.

Trump is tentatively planned to appear before a judge during an arraignment on April 4.

The judge likely to hear the case would be Juan Merchan, who has been an acting justice with the State Supreme Court since 2009.

Merchan, who started his career as an assistant district attorney in Manhattan, now has 16 years experience on the bench. The New York Times reports Merchan was born in Bogotá, Colombia, came to the U.S. when he was 6 years old and grew up in Jackson Heights, Queens.

Merchan worked in the State Attorney General's office before he was appointed to the Bronx Family Court bench in 2006.

It would not be the first high-profile trial that Merchan has overseen. Back in 2012, he presided over the case of the woman known as the "soccer mom madam" — who made international headlines for allegedly running an Upper East Side call girl ring for millionaires.

More recently, Merchan also presided over the case of the Trump Organization's former chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, as well as the tax fraud trial in which the family's company was found guilty on 17 counts including charges of conspiracy and falsifying business records.

Weisselberg pleaded guilty to 15 counts and testified against his employer, admitting he was involved in a scheme to defraud federal, state and city tax authorities. He was sentenced to five months in jail.

In January, the 75-year-old former CFO was handcuffed and led out of a Manhattan courtroom after a brief sentencing hearing before Merchan. He was transported to Rikers Island jail, where he is serving his sentence.
#45 is gonna be VERY unhappy having this judge is my guess.

Alan Dershowitz has called for Donald Trump's hush money trial to be moved from Manhattan to the Republican enclave of Staten Island, arguing that Manhattan is so staunchly Democrat a fair trial is impossible.

Dershowitz's argument was echoed by Trump himself,who wrote on Truth Social on Thursday night: 'They only brought this Fake, Corrupt, and Disgraceful Charge against me because I stand with the American People, and they know that I cannot get a fair trial in New York!'

Trump was born in New York City, but is widely disliked in his liberal hometown and has moved his official residence to Florida.

He even claimed any Manhattan juror who cleared Trump risked being disowned by liberal family members determined to see the ex-president jailed.

'Can you imagine a judge and jury coming home and saying: I'm the man, I'm the woman who let Donald Trump off?

'Nobody would speak to them.'

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oh dear. Born in Colombia, the epicentre of the South American drug cartels? Hispanic, too? Well, we all know where Trump will go with this. Remember Judge Gonzalo Curiel?

Donald Trump has lashed out at the judge assigned to the case against him relating to hush money payments to *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels.

Following Thursday evening’s surprise indictment of the former president — which reportedly caught him and his team off guard — Mr Trump has been angrily sharing his grievances about the situation on his social media platform, Truth Social.

On Friday morning he turned his attention to Judge Juan Merchan who will take up the case when it reaches court.
The former president posted: “The Judge ‘assigned’ to my Witch Hunt Case, a ‘Case’ that has NEVER BEEN CHARGED BEFORE, HATES ME.”

Close watchers of Mr Trump’s ongoing legal woes will be familiar with Judge Merchan for presiding over both the tax fraud trial of the Trump Organization and the trial of the company’s longtime CFO Allen Weisselberg in late 2022.

“His name is Juan Manuel Marchan [sic], was hand picked by Bragg & the Prosecutors, & is the same person who ‘railroaded’ my 75 year old former CFO, Allen Weisselberg, to take a ‘plea’ deal (Plead GUILTY, even if you are not, 90 DAYS, fight us in Court, 10 years (life!) in jail,” he wrote.

“He strong armed Allen, which a judge is not allowed to do, & treated my companies, which didn’t ‘plead’,” Mr Trump concluded, adding: “VICIOUSLY. APPEALING!”

In November, Weisselberg was sentenced to five months in prison and five years post-release supervision after pleading guilty to tax fraud charges.

At his sentencing, Judge Merchan slammed Weisselberg for his “offensive” greed and said that he would have handed down a harsher sentence if he hadn’t made an agreement as part of a plea.

“Had I not made the promise, I would be imposing a sentence much greater than that,” he said.

.... On Friday morning he turned his attention to Judge Juan Merchan who will take up the case when it reaches court.
The former president posted: “The Judge ‘assigned’ to my Witch Hunt Case, a ‘Case’ that has NEVER BEEN CHARGED BEFORE, HATES ME.”

Close watchers of Mr Trump’s ongoing legal woes will be familiar with Judge Merchan for presiding over both the tax fraud trial of the Trump Organization and the trial of the company’s longtime CFO Allen Weisselberg in late 2022.

“His name is Juan Manuel Marchan [sic], was hand picked by Bragg & the Prosecutors, & is the same person who ‘railroaded’ my 75 year old former CFO, Allen Weisselberg, to take a ‘plea’ deal (Plead GUILTY, even if you are not, 90 DAYS, fight us in Court, 10 years (life!) in jail,” he wrote.

“He strong armed Allen, which a judge is not allowed to do, & treated my companies, which didn’t ‘plead’,” Mr Trump concluded, adding: “VICIOUSLY. APPEALING!”

In November, Weisselberg was sentenced to five months in prison and five years post-release supervision after pleading guilty to tax fraud charges.

At his sentencing, Judge Merchan slammed Weisselberg for his “offensive” greed and said that he would have handed down a harsher sentence if he hadn’t made an agreement as part of a plea.

“Had I not made the promise, I would be imposing a sentence much greater than that,” he said.

RBBM -- Isn't that how the majority of cases work? Was he expecting to be charged multiple times before?

The office of the Manhattan district attorney has presented the grand jury with evidence involving Karen McDougal, who had earlier claimed to have had an extramarital affair with Donald Trump in 2006, the report said.

Wall Street Journal had reported in 2016 that the parent company of the National Enquirer, which endorsed Donald Trump’s first presidential bid, agreed to pay Karen McDougal $150,000 for her story on the affair. Although, the story was not published eventually.

The case is similar to Stormy Daniels who was paid $130,000 in 2016 by Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen. That transaction was not publicly reported until 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine