NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene said Friday she will travel to New York next week to protest the former president’s indictment and urged other supporters to join her.

“I’m going to New York on Tuesday. We MUST protest the unconstitutional WITCH HUNT!” Greene tweeted to her 663,000 followers.

So far, no other GOP lawmakers have said they are planning to join Greene at protests in New York, though security had already begun ramping up in response to Trump's indictment. The New York Police Department ordered every member of the force to report in full uniform beginning Friday morning, according to a police memo. That includes 36,000 officers and 19,000 civilian employees.

Before delivering a Lincoln Day address in Gettysburg on Thursday night, Greene said in a message sent to reporters that Bragg "made a very dangerous, and in my opinion, illegal mistake" and that Trump would beat the charges.

"I’ve always stood by President Trump and I will stand alongside him in this fight because the truth every single Republican in America needs to understand [is] that they’re not just coming after President Trump. They’re coming after every single one of us," Greene said.

"And right now President Trump is the only one standing in the way and he’s the first one they want to take down."
All right Marjorie, you have fun doing that.

Agreed. I can't fathom the support he receives. I know many intelligent people, however, some support him and I then question why? I don't get it. It is beyond belief. moo

I will never understand the fawning support he gets- these people actually believe he cares about them--- he cares about Trump and grifting as much money as possible along with as much power as possible.

Ivanka Trump on Friday said she is “pained” by the indictment of her father, former President Donald Trump.

“I love my father, and I love my country. Today, I am pained for both,” Trump wrote in an Instagram story posted to her page. “I appreciate the voices across the political spectrum expressing support and concern.”

Did he believe that Michael Cohen was unjustly prosecuted and sent to prison? jmo

Dec 3, 2018. President Donald Trump said Monday that he didn't think a federal judge should afford his former longtime attorney Michael Cohen any leniency, saying that Cohen should serve a "full and complete" prison sentence.

The Manhattan district attorney's office is again slamming House Republicans for their efforts to intervene in its investigation into former President Donald Trump, accusing them of collaborating with Trump to "vilify and denigrate the integrity of elected state prosecutors and trial judges."

The DA's general counsel Leslie B. Dubeck penned a letter Friday to three House GOP committee chairmen, citing Trump's harsh rhetoric aimed at District Attorney Alvin Bragg and writing, "As Committee Chairmen, you could use the stature of your office to denounce these attacks and urge respect for the fairness of our justice system and for the work of the impartial grand jury."

Dubeck continues, "Instead, you and many of your colleagues have chosen to collaborate with Mr. Trump's efforts to vilify and denigrate the integrity of elected state prosecutors and trial judges and made unfounded allegations that the Office's investigation, conducted via an independent grand jury of average citizens serving New York State, is politically motivated."

Dubeck wrote to House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan, House Oversight Chair James Comer and House Administration Chair Bryan Steil for a second time on Friday, in light of the investigation the committee chairmen launched into the Manhattan DA shortly after Trump warned he would soon be arrested.

Dubeck wrote that if the chairmen are not willing to call off their inquiry, the DA's office is still willing to meet.

"If you will not withdraw your request, we reiterate our willingness to meet and confer with you or your staff about how we can accommodate your request without violating our obligations as prosecutors to protect the integrity of an ongoing criminal prosecution."

Claiming the committees lack jurisdiction to oversee their state prosecution and discrediting any valid legislative purpose to their inquiry, Dubeck cites CNN reporting to claim that "it appears you are acting more like criminal defense counsel trying to gather evidence for a client than a legislative body seeking to achieve a legitimate legislative objective."

Well, so basically he was finally almost, but not quite right about something! It was this Tuesday!

Actually the articles is dated 3/31/23 - so yesterday, Thursday, 3/30/23 is when the indictment came down. So next Tuesday would be 4/4/23.

I made a list of other charges - or lawsuits looking into Trump's "activities". I posted this on Jan. 6 thread - but I will do it again here.
With this indictment in NY we have:

2) The business practices of his family company, the Trump Organization, are being examined by prosecutors. The criminal investigation into the Trump Organization has already yielded convictions. The company was found guilty in December, 2022 of fraud & falsifying business records & fined $1.6m (£1.31m). Allen Weisselberg, the organization's chief financial officer, was sentenced to five months in jail in January.

3) Letitia James, the New York attorney general, is leading a civil investigation (which cannot result in criminal charges) & has spent years looking at whether the company committed various acts of fraud over several decades. In the civil case, Ms James has filed a lawsuit against Trump & three of his children accusing them of "astounding" fraud & deception. The lawsuit alleges that the family inflated their net worth by billions & is seeking $250M that was allegedly obtained through fraudulent means. It's also seeking bans on Trump & his children from serving in a leadership role in any New York business. A Manhattan judge has denied Trump's bid to delay the trial, saying the scheduled date of 10/2/23 is "written in stone".

4) A criminal investigation is being led by the Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg & is looking at similar issues.

5) The Dept. of Justice is looking into the removal of government documents from the White House, which were then taken to Trump's Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, after he left office. Investigators are assessing how these documents were stored & who may have had access to them. The former president's sprawling beach side property was searched in August, 2022 & 11,000 documents were seized, including around 100 marked as classified. Some of these were labelled top secret. Trump has also argued that some of the documents are protected by "privilege" - a legal concept that would prevent them from being used in future proceedings. An independent lawyer is reviewing the seized material to determine if this is the case & that process continues. But Trump has not directly addressed the key question of why the documents were at Mar-a-Lago in the first place. This is an active criminal investigation & could result in charges being filed. Among other statutes, the justice dept. believes Trump may have violated the Espionage Act by keeping national security information that "could be used to the injury of the United States". In addition to charges relating to the classified documents themselves, prosecutors are also looking at obstruction of justice as another potential crime. Trump's team are now locked in a legal battle with the justice department over the investigation. The department has appointed an independent lawyer, or special counsel, to oversee all of its criminal investigations into Trump. Jack Smith will lead its various inquiries & will ultimately decide whether to bring charges.

6) Trump's alleged role in the attack on the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, when a mob of his supporters stormed the building in an effort to stop the confirmation of President Joe Biden's election victory, is under scrutiny from several federal government bodies. The most visible has been a congressional committee that spent 18 months looking into Trump's actions. They held a series of televised hearings laying out their case that his election fraud claims led directly to the riot. Following these hearings, the committee accused Trump of inciting insurrection & other crimes.
3/25/23 Update: In a sealed order last week, Judge Beryl Howell rejected Trump's claim of executive privilege for Meadows & a number of others, including Trump's former Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe, his former national security adviser Robert O'Brien, former top aide Stephen Miller & former deputy chief of staff & social media director Dan Scavino. Former Trump aides Nick Luna & John McEntee, along with former top DHS official Ken Cuccinelli, were also included in the order. The ruling paves the way for testimony from Mark Meadows and others. Separately, a Trump lawyer appeared before a grand jury looking into the former president’s handling of classified documents. The recent ruling by Judge Beryl A. Howell paves the way for the former White House officials to answer questions from federal prosecutors, according to two people briefed on the matter. Judge Howell ruled on the matter in a closed-door proceeding in her role as chief judge of the Federal District Court in Washington, a job in which she oversaw the grand juries taking testimony in the Justice Dept.’s investigations into Trump. Judge Howell’s term as chief judge ended last week. See more info here:
[I]https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03...rk-meadows-executive-privilege-jan-6.html[/I]
Word of the ruling came as the Justice Department pressed ahead in its parallel investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of classified documents after leaving office & whether he obstructed the government’s efforts to reclaim them. The twin federal investigations are being led by Jack Smith, the special counsel who was appointed after Mr. Trump announced his latest candidacy in November. 3/29/23 Update: Trump’s lawyers have filed an appeal on Judge Howell’s decision.
3/27/23 Update: A federal judge has ordered former Vice President Mike Pence to comply with a subpoena in the investigation into former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, according to a source familiar with the decision. The ruling from Judge James Boasberg, the chief judge of U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, requires Pence to testify before the grand jury tied to the probe led by special counsel Jack Smith. The ruling, which was issued Monday, remains under seal because it involves grand jury matters. The order was a partial victory for Pence & his argument that he was shielded from having to testify about Jan. 6 because of his constitutional role as part of the legislative branch. Pence's team has argued that the “speech or debate” clause of the Constitution, which can protect lawmakers from being compelled to discuss legislative activity, granted him immunity from testifying. Judge Boasberg ruled that while Pence does have some limited protections because of that, the immunity does not prevent him from testifying about conversations related to alleged “illegality” on Trump’s part.

7) Georgia: The criminal investigation was opened after the disclosure of an hour-long phone call between the former president & the state's top election official on 2 January 2021."I just want to find 11,780 votes," Trump said during the call to Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger - a reference to the number of ballots needed to give him victory in the swing state. A grand jury investigating the case was dissolved earlier this year after filing a final report, which remains sealed. Trump has also attacked the legal official leading the inquiry - the chief prosecutor of Fulton County, Fani Willis - as a "young, ambitious, Radical Left Democrat... who is presiding over one of the most Crime Ridden & Corrupt places". The 26-member grand jury did not have indictment powers but may have recommended charges. Among the potential crimes it looked into were the solicitation of election fraud, making false statements to government officials & racketeering. It is not known whether Trump is being directly investigated, but some of his allies are known to be part of the inquiry. For a criminal conviction, however, prosecutors would ultimately need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that those involved knew their actions were fraudulent. In January, 2023 a prosecutor working on behalf of Fulton County said the district attorney's office believes the report should only be released after prosecutors determine whether or not to bring charges.

I made a list of other charges - or lawsuits looking into Trump's "activities". I posted this on Jan. 6 thread - but I will do it again here.
With this indictment in NY we have:

2) The business practices of his family company, the Trump Organization, are being examined by prosecutors. The criminal investigation into the Trump Organization has already yielded convictions. The company was found guilty in December, 2022 of fraud & falsifying business records & fined $1.6m (£1.31m). Allen Weisselberg, the organization's chief financial officer, was sentenced to five months in jail in January.

3) Letitia James, the New York attorney general, is leading a civil investigation (which cannot result in criminal charges) & has spent years looking at whether the company committed various acts of fraud over several decades. In the civil case, Ms James has filed a lawsuit against Trump & three of his children accusing them of "astounding" fraud & deception. The lawsuit alleges that the family inflated their net worth by billions & is seeking $250M that was allegedly obtained through fraudulent means. It's also seeking bans on Trump & his children from serving in a leadership role in any New York business. A Manhattan judge has denied Trump's bid to delay the trial, saying the scheduled date of 10/2/23 is "written in stone".

4) A criminal investigation is being led by the Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg & is looking at similar issues.

5) The Dept. of Justice is looking into the removal of government documents from the White House, which were then taken to Trump's Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, after he left office. Investigators are assessing how these documents were stored & who may have had access to them. The former president's sprawling beach side property was searched in August, 2022 & 11,000 documents were seized, including around 100 marked as classified. Some of these were labelled top secret. Trump has also argued that some of the documents are protected by "privilege" - a legal concept that would prevent them from being used in future proceedings. An independent lawyer is reviewing the seized material to determine if this is the case & that process continues. But Trump has not directly addressed the key question of why the documents were at Mar-a-Lago in the first place. This is an active criminal investigation & could result in charges being filed. Among other statutes, the justice dept. believes Trump may have violated the Espionage Act by keeping national security information that "could be used to the injury of the United States". In addition to charges relating to the classified documents themselves, prosecutors are also looking at obstruction of justice as another potential crime. Trump's team are now locked in a legal battle with the justice department over the investigation. The department has appointed an independent lawyer, or special counsel, to oversee all of its criminal investigations into Trump. Jack Smith will lead its various inquiries & will ultimately decide whether to bring charges.

6) Trump's alleged role in the attack on the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, when a mob of his supporters stormed the building in an effort to stop the confirmation of President Joe Biden's election victory, is under scrutiny from several federal government bodies. The most visible has been a congressional committee that spent 18 months looking into Trump's actions. They held a series of televised hearings laying out their case that his election fraud claims led directly to the riot. Following these hearings, the committee accused Trump of inciting insurrection & other crimes.
3/25/23 Update: In a sealed order last week, Judge Beryl Howell rejected Trump's claim of executive privilege for Meadows & a number of others, including Trump's former Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe, his former national security adviser Robert O'Brien, former top aide Stephen Miller & former deputy chief of staff & social media director Dan Scavino. Former Trump aides Nick Luna & John McEntee, along with former top DHS official Ken Cuccinelli, were also included in the order. The ruling paves the way for testimony from Mark Meadows and others. Separately, a Trump lawyer appeared before a grand jury looking into the former president’s handling of classified documents. The recent ruling by Judge Beryl A. Howell paves the way for the former White House officials to answer questions from federal prosecutors, according to two people briefed on the matter. Judge Howell ruled on the matter in a closed-door proceeding in her role as chief judge of the Federal District Court in Washington, a job in which she oversaw the grand juries taking testimony in the Justice Dept.’s investigations into Trump. Judge Howell’s term as chief judge ended last week. See more info here:
[I]https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03...rk-meadows-executive-privilege-jan-6.html[/I]
Word of the ruling came as the Justice Department pressed ahead in its parallel investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of classified documents after leaving office & whether he obstructed the government’s efforts to reclaim them. The twin federal investigations are being led by Jack Smith, the special counsel who was appointed after Mr. Trump announced his latest candidacy in November. 3/29/23 Update: Trump’s lawyers have filed an appeal on Judge Howell’s decision.
3/27/23 Update: A federal judge has ordered former Vice President Mike Pence to comply with a subpoena in the investigation into former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, according to a source familiar with the decision. The ruling from Judge James Boasberg, the chief judge of U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, requires Pence to testify before the grand jury tied to the probe led by special counsel Jack Smith. The ruling, which was issued Monday, remains under seal because it involves grand jury matters. The order was a partial victory for Pence & his argument that he was shielded from having to testify about Jan. 6 because of his constitutional role as part of the legislative branch. Pence's team has argued that the “speech or debate” clause of the Constitution, which can protect lawmakers from being compelled to discuss legislative activity, granted him immunity from testifying. Judge Boasberg ruled that while Pence does have some limited protections because of that, the immunity does not prevent him from testifying about conversations related to alleged “illegality” on Trump’s part.

7) Georgia: The criminal investigation was opened after the disclosure of an hour-long phone call between the former president & the state's top election official on 2 January 2021."I just want to find 11,780 votes," Trump said during the call to Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger - a reference to the number of ballots needed to give him victory in the swing state. A grand jury investigating the case was dissolved earlier this year after filing a final report, which remains sealed. Trump has also attacked the legal official leading the inquiry - the chief prosecutor of Fulton County, Fani Willis - as a "young, ambitious, Radical Left Democrat... who is presiding over one of the most Crime Ridden & Corrupt places". The 26-member grand jury did not have indictment powers but may have recommended charges. Among the potential crimes it looked into were the solicitation of election fraud, making false statements to government officials & racketeering. It is not known whether Trump is being directly investigated, but some of his allies are known to be part of the inquiry. For a criminal conviction, however, prosecutors would ultimately need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that those involved knew their actions were fraudulent. In January, 2023 a prosecutor working on behalf of Fulton County said the district attorney's office believes the report should only be released after prosecutors determine whether or not to bring charges.

But wait! There’s more…

You’re going to be busy @Niner! :D

As a result, the indictment landed out of the blue on Thursday evening.

It leaves a city braced for protests. All uniformed members of the New York Police Department need to be 'prepared for deployment,' according to memo obtained by the New York Times.

No handcuffs and a not-guilty plea when Trump surrenders, his lawyers say​

Fri, March 31, 2023 at 10:18 AM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members