NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony is, these sort of people are the first to wave the American flag, defend all police regardless of their actions, and say things like "you do the crime, you do the time!" i.e. respecting our judicial system. But now their cult leader ex-president is the one who did the crimes, so lets throw every ethical thing out the window. Wow wow wow. How low can these people go?
YES. Pro-law enforcement until they’re beating them and trying to kill them while storming the capital building.

<rsbm>

Thanks for the good wishes :) We need them, LOL.

One of the panel on CNN last night took a shot at what she thought 34 (?) charges might consist of, and her guess was based on 11 cheques written to Cohen re the SD payout with 3 specific and identical charges related to every one of those 11 cheques = 33, and she speculated that the 34th charge could be a conspiracy charge.

Unfortunately I did not got back to note the specifics of what those 3 charges per cheque were that she referred to and can't locate it via a Google.

These were the charges that Cohen faced. Maybe one/some might be the same as DT is facing, multiple times.

a2.jpg

The rhetoric reported in this article is chilling. “Weaponize suicidal people”? Seriously?

However, users on the pro-Trump forum encouraged those who did not want to “form organized militias” to “take on lone wolf mentalities,” “weaponize suicidal people” and “make the jurors public knowledge.”

Rhetoric from the former president has done little to quell supporters’ anger, and has at times appeared to play into accelerationist ideas. In a post to Truth Social shortly after news of his indictment, Trump said that the United States was now a “third world country” and that “the country is dying.” Trump had previously warned of the potential for “death and destruction” if he faced criminal charges.
I see nothing wrong with people being angry about this indictment. I know I am.

<rsbm>

Thanks for the good wishes :) We need them, LOL.

One of the panel on CNN last night took a shot at what she thought 34 (?) charges might consist of, and her guess was based on 11 cheques written to Cohen re the SD payout with 3 specific and identical charges related to every one of those 11 cheques = 33, and she speculated that the 34th charge could be a conspiracy charge.

Unfortunately I did not got back to note the specifics of what those 3 charges per cheque were that she referred to and can't locate it via a Google.

Thanks for reporting @Sillybilly. And more good wishes!

Per page 14 of Cohen’s Sentencing Memorandum, he received $420,000 in 12 monthly installments of $35,000/month throughout 2017. I’m unclear why only 11 checks are mentioned, but I think only part of the payments related to SD. No doubt someone better at math than I am can figure it out.

After the election, Cohen sought reimbursement for election-related expenses, including
the $130,000 payment he had made to Woman-2. Cohen presented an executive of the Company with a copy of a bank statement reflecting the $130,000 wire transfer. Cohen also requested reimbursement of an additional $50,000, which represented a claimed payment for campaign- related “tech services.” Executives of the Company agreed to reimburse Cohen by adding $130,000 and $50,000, “grossing up” that amount to $360,000 for tax purposes, and adding a $60,000 bonus, such that Cohen would be paid $420,000 in total. Executives of the Company decided to pay the $420,000 in monthly installments of $35,000 over the course of a year. (PSR ¶¶ 52-53).
At the instruction of an executive for the Company, Cohen sent monthly invoices to the Company for these $35,000 payments, falsely indicating that the invoices were being sent pursuant to a “retainer agreement.” The Company then falsely accounted for these payments as “legal expenses.” In fact, no such retainer agreement existed and these payments were not “legal expenses” – Cohen in fact provided negligible legal services to Individual-1 or the Company in 2017 – but were reimbursement payments. Cohen then received the $420,000 during the course of 2017. (PSR ¶¶ 54-56).

I see nothing wrong with people being angry about this indictment. I know I am.

As I’m sure you are well aware @RANCH, the article I posted to which you were apparently responding spoke of violent rhetoric, not mere anger. You’re entitled to your anger, but if you are in sympathy with these people in the article, this is a serious problem, as you know.

The fact that Trump was indicted in the first place. In the end I think he will be exonerated. JMO.
If he is innocent, he should definitely be exonerated. However. People in power should also be held accountable if there is proof of wrongdoing. I don't believe a president, or a rich person, or anyone else for that matter should have more rights than me. We should all obey the law - especially those who are representatives of the law.

As I’m sure you are well aware @RANCH, the article I posted to which you were apparently responding spoke of violent rhetoric, not mere anger. You’re entitled to your anger, but if you are in sympathy with these people in the article, this is a serious problem, as you know.
I'm just saying how I feel.

If he is innocent, he should definitely be exonerated. However. People in power should also be held accountable if there is proof of wrongdoing. I don't believe a president, or a rich person, or anyone else for that matter should have more rights than me. We should all obey the law - especially those who are representatives of the law.
I don't think that Trump broke any laws. Certainly not any felonies. JMO.

Trump indictment: A simple guide to what it means

What is Trump accused of?

"Stormy Daniels says she had an affair with Mr Trump in 2006, which he has always denied.

In 2016 she tried to sell her account of what happened to the media. Mr Trump's lawyer, Michael Cohen, paid her $130,000 (£105,000) to keep quiet. That kind of payment is called hush money.

That is not illegal but what has got Mr Trump into trouble is how Mr Cohen's reimbursement was recorded in his accounts. He is accused of falsifying his business records by saying the payment was for legal fees.

As it happened just before Americans were due to vote, it may also violate laws about payments that help an election campaign.

There will now be a trial where Mr Trump will make his case.

He has denied any wrongdoing and says the charges are politically motivated."

Thanks for reporting @Sillybilly. And more good wishes!

Per page 14 of Cohen’s Sentencing Memorandum, he received $420,000 in 12 monthly installments of $35,000/month throughout 2017. I’m unclear why only 11 checks are mentioned, but I think only part of the payments related to SD. No doubt someone better at math than I am can figure it out.

After the election, Cohen sought reimbursement for election-related expenses, including
the $130,000 payment he had made to Woman-2. Cohen presented an executive of the Company with a copy of a bank statement reflecting the $130,000 wire transfer. Cohen also requested reimbursement of an additional $50,000, which represented a claimed payment for campaign- related “tech services.” Executives of the Company agreed to reimburse Cohen by adding $130,000 and $50,000, “grossing up” that amount to $360,000 for tax purposes, and adding a $60,000 bonus, such that Cohen would be paid $420,000 in total. Executives of the Company decided to pay the $420,000 in monthly installments of $35,000 over the course of a year. (PSR ¶¶ 52-53).
At the instruction of an executive for the Company, Cohen sent monthly invoices to the Company for these $35,000 payments, falsely indicating that the invoices were being sent pursuant to a “retainer agreement.” The Company then falsely accounted for these payments as “legal expenses.” In fact, no such retainer agreement existed and these payments were not “legal expenses” – Cohen in fact provided negligible legal services to Individual-1 or the Company in 2017 – but were reimbursement payments. Cohen then received the $420,000
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cook the booksduring the course of 2017. (PSR ¶¶ 54-56).

cook the books​

idiomatic phrase​

informal
: to alter official accounting records in order to deceive or mislead

Trump indictment: A simple guide to what it means

What is Trump accused of?

"Stormy Daniels says she had an affair with Mr Trump in 2006, which he has always denied.

In 2016 she tried to sell her account of what happened to the media. Mr Trump's lawyer, Michael Cohen, paid her $130,000 (£105,000) to keep quiet. That kind of payment is called hush money.

That is not illegal but what has got Mr Trump into trouble is how Mr Cohen's reimbursement was recorded in his accounts. He is accused of falsifying his business records by saying the payment was for legal fees.

As it happened just before Americans were due to vote, it may also violate laws about payments that help an election campaign.

There will now be a trial where Mr Trump will make his case.

He has denied any wrongdoing and says the charges are politically motivated."

Case looks really thin to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members