NY NY - Irondequoit, WhtFem 14-23, 122UFNY, skeletal in shallow grave, front teeth overlap, Jul'88

Eva Ridall
Eva Marie Ridall – The Charley Project

Eva Marie Ridall
  • eva_marie_ridall_1.jpg
  • eva_marie_ridall_2.jpg
  • eva_marie_ridall_3.jpg
  • Missing Since05/01/1977
  • Missing FromBradenton, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Runaway
  • Date of Birth08/23/1961 (57)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 120 - 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Light brown hair, blue/hazel eyes. Eva may use the first names Aubrey, Natasha and/or Victoria, and the alias last name Mattingly. She may have a small homemade tattoo, possibly of initials, on her ankle.
Details of Disappearance
Eva was last seen in Bradenton, Florida on May 1, 1977. At the time, authorities believed she'd ran away from home, possibly to the Cincinnati, Ohio area, via a bus or plane. She has never been heard from again.

Eva's father died in his Ohio home in 2010. In his obituary, Eva is listed as having survived him. Few details are available in her case.

Eva Ridall
Eva Marie Ridall – The Charley Project

Eva Marie Ridall
  • eva_marie_ridall_1.jpg
  • eva_marie_ridall_2.jpg
  • eva_marie_ridall_3.jpg
  • Missing Since05/01/1977
  • Missing FromBradenton, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Runaway
  • Date of Birth08/23/1961 (57)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 120 - 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Light brown hair, blue/hazel eyes. Eva may use the first names Aubrey, Natasha and/or Victoria, and the alias last name Mattingly. She may have a small homemade tattoo, possibly of initials, on her ankle.
Details of Disappearance
Eva was last seen in Bradenton, Florida on May 1, 1977. At the time, authorities believed she'd ran away from home, possibly to the Cincinnati, Ohio area, via a bus or plane. She has never been heard from again.

Eva's father died in his Ohio home in 2010. In his obituary, Eva is listed as having survived him. Few details are available in her case.
Interesting, time and location could add up, but she seems a little too bucktoothed for IJD. IJD also had gold restorations that would be visible if she had a "toothy smile". Eva does remind me of Snohomish Jane Doe, but she stood 5'10 tall, whereas Eva was 5'6.

There are several more newspaper clippings in the links dealing with lots of vanished women and girls all the way back to the 50s. I've managed to track down some of them alive, fortunately! I am also shocked over the amount of law enforcement officers living in that small specific area, and the clippings dealing with dirty cops.. I can't help but read between the lines :eek:
And where is IJD in all this? A mob victim? Murdered by dirty cops? Murdered by classmates or friends? A foreign farmworker at the peach orchard?

Or maybe the dirty son of a cop?

Inside the Evidence: Irondequoit Jane Doe
IRONDEQUOIT, N.Y. (WHEC) — Skeletal remains were found buried in a quiet Irondequoit neighborhood on July 31, 1988. More than 30 years later, the young woman has never been identified.

News10NBC's Nikki Rudd found out new testing is being done that could identify the victim who has only been known as "Irondequoit Jane Doe."

The video states that mps have been ruled out through dentals and DNA. Does this mean LE have finally managed to optain a DNA profile on her now? Several women on her ruleout list only have DNA in as identifiers, so I have wondered about this for a while.

As for dentals, I took a screenshot from IJD's early clay model in the video. Her skull seemed to have lost their front teeth, but they were probably found in that shallow grave with her.

Attachments

• Irondequoit Jane Doe_teeth.jpg
    Irondequoit Jane Doe_teeth.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 19
The video states that mps have been ruled out through dentals and DNA. Does this mean LE have finally managed to optain a DNA profile on her now? Several women on her ruleout list only have DNA in as identifiers, so I have wondered about this for a while.

As for dentals, I took a screenshot from IJD's early clay model in the video. Her skull seemed to have lost their front teeth, but they were probably found in that shallow grave with her.
I'd read her DNA was listed as "insufficient" before NamUs changed to conceal the availability of identifiers. Perhaps this means they got a better sample.

I'd read her DNA was listed as "insufficient" before NamUs changed to conceal the availability of identifiers. Perhaps this means they got a better sample.
The DoeNetwork states the same, and we've had discussions earlier in the thread that this might not be the case anymore. I'm really glad her case is heating up, hoping that the DNA is sufficient and workable enough to lead to an identification, even have IJD being a future DDP or Parabon Nanolabs case!

It would seem obvious to look into whomever owned the home over the years.

No clothing, no obvious method of death. Thrown in head first?

Sounds like someone was in a hurry, to conceal her. Could be as simple as a drug overdose, and someone didn't want to involve authorities..... so they buried her in the backyard? Does that seem "reasonable"?

I would guess that she was probably put there after the homes were built, which would be in the 60s.

The only other clue, is the gold foil on her teeth. After a bit of searching - it seems gold foil has been used for quite some time .....

Given the proximity to the bay/lake ontario..... is it possible that someone associated with that address - disposed of her body (for whatever reason/ method) then claimed she was lost in the water, by a boating accident or other misadventure. And the authorities at whatever time period this happened, bought the story... which could explain why she wasn't reported missing?

Here is the Comparison/Exclusion List for Irondequoit JD, thought I would post since Carbuff had mentioned her in the Denise Beaudin thread.

MP11936 - Barbara Aleksivich
10/03/1973
Steuben, NY

MP2386 – Lynn Bandringa
05/29/1967
San Bernardino CA

Ingrid Bauer

MP7081 – Bonita Bickwit
07/27/1973
Sullivan NY

MP5860 – Marie Blee
11/21/1979
Routt CO

MP20107 – Mary Bostwick
07/18/1972
Tioga NY

MP19076 – Sandra Breed
05/22/1964
Madison NY

MP7828 – Niki Britten
07/16/1969
Linn OR

MP10968 – Linda Britton
06/11/1963
Guernsey OH

MP3070 – Judith Brown
04/06/1977
Queens NY

MP11582 – Barbara Bruno
08/01/1980
Monroe NY

MP7592 – Rosemary Buck
08/11/1973
Onondaga NY

MP4532 – Cynthia Constantine
07/11/1969
Suffolk NY

MP5665 – Charlotte Heimann
10/30/1981
Monroe NY

MP5669 – Lynn Luray
08/17/1964
Los Angeles CA

MP7574 – Sylvia Lwowski
09/06/1975
Richmond NY

MP4646 – Robyn Pettinato
07/05/1975
Flathead MT

MP26000 – Mary Robinson
06/10/1976
Monroe NY

MP5533 – Denise Sheehy
07/07/1970
Queens NY

MP3259 – Sheryl Tillinghast
09/24/1973
Dutchess NY

MP4608 – Rebecca Triska
09/19/1958
Beaver PA

MP2876 – Mary Wesolowski
08/18/1971
Warren NY

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

No new ruleouts.

As always, thank you, Carbuff. Much appreciated :)

Sounds like someone was in a hurry, to conceal her. Could be as simple as a drug overdose, and someone didn't want to involve authorities..... so they buried her in the backyard? Does that seem "reasonable"?

I would guess that she was probably put there after the homes were built, which would be in the 60s.

The only other clue, is the gold foil on her teeth. After a bit of searching - it seems gold foil has been used for quite some time .....

Given the proximity to the bay/lake ontario..... is it possible that someone associated with that address - disposed of her body (for whatever reason/ method) then claimed she was lost in the water, by a boating accident or other misadventure. And the authorities at whatever time period this happened, bought the story... which could explain why she wasn't reported missing?
Good questions, Eddie99, and several of them have been discussed earlier in the thread. I found out quite a bit about the history of the area in post #200, and CarlK. actually went to the location while attending Tammy Jo Alexander's memorial back in 2015. Your OD theory sounds absolutely plausible to me, as do smothering/asphyxiation.

-----------

I did a little side-by-side of Jane Doe's recons throughout the years. Btw, the timestamp on the clay bust says 89 4 25 , which is exactly 30 years ago today.

upload_2019-4-25_19-56-22.png

I grew up on the west side of Rochester, but have some experience doing landscape projects in Irondequoit for a friend's business (2004), after a layoff. Some things I noticed about the town's topography are deep ravines, bluffs along the lake and the bay, and quite a few creeks. When I moved back in 2011 I got into hiking some of the trails around the west side of the bay (I now live in Indiana).

As others have noted, the housing tract was built in the 60's. Newport Road ends at the bay, and there used to be a very popular restaurant and bar there which dated to the mid-19th C, called The Newport House. My HS class had a reunion there in 2002. It has since been torn down and turned into higher-end houses and a Marina. What was torn down was built in '89.

I was floored to read that Mahoney lived right by where the bones were found. He was as corrupt as they come, had mob connections, etc. He probably hung out at The Newport House with the politicians and other county and city officials which frequented the place. The DA's office and some LE agencies in Rochester had corruption issues around the time Mahoney was active in LE.

The "erosion" deal made me chuckle. Sounds like he was trying to cover something up. The anti-erosion stuff we did for the landscape business involved retaining walls on properties in that town.

Newport House article:

Whatever Happened to ... The Newport House?

Another thing to consider is the Irondequoit Bay Bridge, took two years to build and opened in '69. Construction of the approach on the Irondequoit side of the bay required that some really old buildings be razed, the buildings were associated with the original Newport House resort.

My guess would be the woman was put on the property by there roughly between 1963 and 1977 or so,

JMO

It's truly great to have someone in the thread who knows the area where she was found, @Falling Down! Thank you for joining and providing us with information which can be hard to obtain otherwise :)

I have updated the map I posted in post #200. The satellite photo gives us a better clue of the topography and the distances of the area. I believe The Newport House was located where the map says Newport marina? It's about a 13 minute walk from 130 Bay Knoll Road if Google Maps are to be believed (and you're not dragging a body..).

upload_2019-4-29_1-45-27.png

So really close, but still kind of far to haul a body.
Gallows humour aside, I drew an arrow on the field/hill/landscape that follows Newport Road and leads directly up to both 130 Bay Knoll Road and 77 Newport Road's backyards (a theory presented in post #143). Still far, and not a place you'd go through without having a good reason for it, but hiding a body in LE's backyard, so to speak, might be worth it?

Just a little history repeating from post #200 for those who needs it:

1936: 77 Newport Road was build.
The early 1960s: The property belonged to Lt. Col. Albert W. Lathrop.
It's unknown when det. William Mahoney moved in.
1964: 130 Bay Knoll Road was build on a former fruit orchard. WW2 veteran and police officer Roland Liquory + family lived here in the 60s (and I suspect also the 70s, or at least parts of it).
I don't know when the Przygodas moved in.
1977: Convicted mobster Albert DeCanzio was hired by det. Mahoney to fix "erosion problems" in the latter's backyard at 77 Newport Road.
1988: Jane Doe was discovered by 12-year old Richard Przygoda. 95% of her was recovered, and she had been buried in a head-first, bent-over position in the ground.

--------------

Now, considering the house placements and the residents of the houses at the time, I kinda get the feeling the perp knew they were hiding Jane Doe right under LE's noses, and that they therefore had chosen the perfect spot to get away with murder, whether or not the murderer(s) was/were members of the LE, gangsters, or others.

And yes, I also find that "excavation work" in det. Mahoney's backyard by a mob informant highly suspicious, tbh!

It's truly great to have someone in the thread who knows the area where she was found, @Falling Down

<snip>

Now, considering the house placements and the residents of the houses at the time, I kinda get the feeling the perp knew they were hiding Jane Doe right under LE's noses, and that they therefore had chosen the perfect spot to get away with murder, whether or not the murderer(s) was/were members of the LE, gangsters, or others.

And yes, I also find that "excavation work" in det. Mahoney's backyard by a mob informant highly suspicious, tbh!

I grew up around the sons and daughters of some of those mobsters, and a few nieces and nephews. It wouldn't surprise me that IJD ended up there after being murdered by a mob type, or perhaps she OD'd.

The biggest mob hangout in Irondequoit was the Blue Gardenia restaurant on Empire Blvd, it was across the street from Laurelton FD. It's now a bingo hall. Typical of mob activity, the Rochester faction ran rackets, vice, drugs, etc. Insurance scams, the whole nine.

It's a 5 minute drive from the old Blue Gardenia property to Newport Road, just for reference. Same as in the late-70's.

The mafia there practically owned or got tribute from businesses along a long stretch of Lyell Avenue, from Lake all the way to Mt. Read, or close to that cross street. Most of the gambling stuff and after-hours activities were along Lyell, to include prostitution.

Long read, but a great synopsis of the Rochester mob.

Who's Who

Then the real leaders of the mob, the “A” Team, were released from prison in 1978 when it was discovered that detectives lied, and fabricated evidence at their trials. Thomas Didio was murdered, the “B” Team was routed and Campanella was forced to quit his job and leave town. (21)

Mahoney was one of the local LE types who fabricated evidence. An internal war within the local mob spilled over in 1978, when factions within it started attacking each other, after the men were let free due to the fabrication of evidence stuff, which had to do with the Columbus Day Bombings in 1970. So they were convicted before the RICO statutes that mobsters were later convicted wtih
in the 80's. It was a local/state case vs. a federal case, if I'm reading it right.

DeCanzio, Albert Jr.
was a prominent figure during the heyday of Rochester's mob. He was the “triggerman” in the Ernie White murder in 1973. Some said he also boasted of at least three other “notches” on his belt, while active in the Rochester Mafia.(46) But according to eye witness Charles Monachino, who was present at the White slaying, DeCanzio said, “that was number 16” moments after he murdered Ernest White. (47)

DeCanzio was a "soldier" in mob hierarchy in the 70’s, he was a bodyguard for Frank Valenti, the man who helped build a Mafia presence in Rochester during the 1960s and 1970s. On May 15, 1975, he was convicted of murder for the Ernie White killing. (48)

DeCanzio later became a government informant and he was placed into the Federal Witness Protection Program.His testimony played a large role in dismantling the Rochester Mafia. He died Dec. 28, 2012 at the age of 70.

Wow.

So my hunch is IJD was a mistress, prostitute, or had some other association with the Rochester mob, ca. mid-to-late-70's. Whether she was from Rochester or not is anyone's guess, these mob types "got around". Buffalo. Pittsburgh. Montreal. Sometimes NYC. Batavia, NY, was a hotbed of mob activity, which is interesting considering its size.

I'm picturing DeCanzio being "in the care of" (wink-wink), Mahoney and some other LE folks, and the DA's office. So it makes sense DeCanzio may have been "employed" by Mahoney, but would the latter have been privy to a woman's body being buried in his backyard? Was it part of a "deal" made with Mahoney? Remember the diversionary Columbus Day Bombings mentioned above? These are some seriously deranged and unsavory people, anything is possible. DeCanzio may have put the body there as a favor to someone, or whatever, but maybe in the back of his mind thinking he could use it as leverage somehow against Mahioney, at a later time.

Also, the Rochester mobsters would hire professional hit men from outside the area to do some of the dirty work. John "Mad Dog" Sullivan, the notorious hit man and enforcer from Hell's Kitchen in NYC, the only inmate to ever escape from Attica prison, was nabbed in Irondequoit in 1981 not far from the Blue Gardenia. It's estimated he murdered more than 20 people. I throw that out there to illustrate how some of these unsavory types crossed paths.

IJD may be local, or she may be from outside the area, but was brought to Rochester by someone associated with the mob. The FBI should do isotope testing of the bones, to see where she may be from.

Edit:

The main mob guy, Salvatore Gingello, had two attempts on his life roughly 1978-ish. The 2nd attempt killed him. The first attempt was when the B team faction blew up a remote-controlled bomb put into a snow bank outside the Blue Gardenia. The 2nd was a bomb placed under his car, on Stillson St., downtown, which killed him, April of '78.

Maybe this woman was being questioned by LE around that time, ot she was killed while the mob war stuff was going on, because someone wanted to get rid of her, and they figured with the distractions going on her case would be of a low priority.

JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump