GUILTY NY - Jenni-Lyn Watson, 20, Clay, 19 Nov 2010

So very tragic to see another beautiful, young woman with a wonderful life ahead of her be murdered by another loser who wouldn't take no for an answer.

I worry sometimes that we have raised a generation of people that are unable to deal with any type of rejection.

So very tragic to see another beautiful, young woman with a wonderful life ahead of her be murdered by another loser who wouldn't take no for an answer.

I worry sometimes that we have raised a generation of people that are unable to deal with any type of rejection.

You could be right...kids are not used to losing at anything as much as we were...they play games without keeping score, etc...some schools won't even allow prizes in various catagories, for fear of upsetting the others...all of this coddling has to have reprecussions...

But I'm sure this guy had some major issues...I wonder why she broke it off with him. Just over a month ago, she seemed to be "in love" with him according to her MS page...

I think you are on to something there. So many young people can't deal with a relationship ending. But people move on sometimes and things change whether we like it or not. That is part of life. What a tragic ending to this young life.

Didn't realize this:

Someone other than Watson made the call, Fitzpatrick said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/27/new.york.missing.student/index.html

Wonder who made the phone call from the wooded area if police believe she was dead when SP removed her from her home?

I wouldn't be surprised if the ex didn't turn on Jenni-Lyn's phone to see who she had been speaking with....and if she had been texting any guys. I think SP was a jealous young man. Perhaps he used the phone to dial a preset number that he didn't recognize on her phone, thinking it might be a new beau to J-L.

I think it is a mixture of things.

One thing for sure, we really really need to push for ways to protect women and children. I am so angry!!! :furious:

Rest in Peace sweet Jenni-Lyn.

Unfortunately, people have been killing their (ex) significant others for centuries. I don't think it has anything to do with this generation. Besides, the boyfriend is 21 and I believe the coddling started fairly recently; more of a Generation Z than Generation Y thing. I also think the media tends to exaggerate that stuff, like they find one school that doesn't give F's and they make it national news and act like every school in the nation is the same.

Divorce is an acceptable option, yet some husbands choose to murder their wives rather than divorce them. Similarly, a generation of females is no longer beholden to men, may owe them no explanation and that may make a certain type of man furious.

I honestly don't think there is a way to tell which men will react with violence, unless of course they have a history of doing so. She probably had no reason to think she was in danger when she let him in, to talk to her. I always worry about my nieces, as many of the boys they've dated in the past seem to become obsessed with them. Somehow it seems that more men are becoming obsessed with girls rather than the other way around, in spite of all of the "not ready to commit" stuff we always hear about. I know my nieces would feel they "owed" it to the guy to talk to him one last time and if I knew it was occurring I would be a wreck until I knew they were safe. But in this case, clearly there was no reason to think anything like this would happen.

Unfortunately, people have been killing their (ex) significant others for centuries. I don't think it has anything to do with this generation. Besides, the boyfriend is 21 and I believe the coddling started fairly recently; more of a Generation Z than Generation Y thing. I also think the media tends to exaggerate that stuff, like they find one school that doesn't give F's and they make it national news and act like every school in the nation is the same.

Of course, it's nothing new. We have a 77-year-old family acquaintance who is currently facing charges in the murder of his first wife - 46 years ago.

But things have changed since I was coming up. Back then, not every kid made the team or was told they were good at something when they obviously weren't. While it may have hurt our feelings, it was a necessary lesson we all had to learn at one time or another. It's fine to build strong self esteem in our children, but not at the cost of valuable life lessons - such as dealing with rejection and controlling your temper.

My kids are 18 and 21. I have always built them up, but they have learned how to deal with disappointment and rejection as well. I can't say the same for ALL of their friends - some of whom have a distinct sense of entitlement.

JMO.

I noticed his eyes in a picture from the link on the previous page. He has the 3 whites.

Of course, it's nothing new. We have a 77-year-old family acquaintance who is currently facing charges in the murder of his first wife - 46 years ago.

But things have changed since I was coming up. Back then, not every kid made the team or was told they were good at something when they obviously weren't. While it may have hurt our feelings, it was a necessary lesson we all had to learn at one time or another. It's fine to build strong self esteem in our children, but not at the cost of valuable life lessons - such as dealing with rejection and controlling your temper.

My kids are 18 and 21. I have always built them up, but they have learned how to deal with disappointment and rejection as well. I can't say the same for ALL of their friends - some of whom have a distinct sense of entitlement.

JMO.

I'm 18 so I'm right around Jenni Lyn and Steven's age. I just graduated from high school and I did not have the experience of being coddled by my school district at all. We had sports teams in middle school and high school and they all made cuts except for Track and Cross Country. We also have an Awards night every year for the seniors and only about 30/450 seniors get awards. In middle school, we all had to go to an assembly where they announced who got honor roll and in high school, they would give us certificates in homeroom and have a big list in the hallway of student's names who made the list. I would say that my experience in the public school system is pretty normal and the ones where everyone makes the team, there are no scores kept in games, etc is not. I think the media tends to exaggerate with this whole, "Everyone in the school gets an A!" just to get people riled up.

His story makes no sense. He saw Jenni Lyn go into a black pickup truck with a man? How would he see that? What was he doing in her neighborhood? He was just driving around, in his ex-girlfriend's neighborhood, when he saw her come out of her house and go into a truck with some guy? Come on already....

I think it is more grade school where the kids are coddled...by high school they have to earn their grades and the separation begins. But some kids never quite grow up and learn to take responsibility for their behavior.

I honestly don't think there is a way to tell which men will react with violence, unless of course they have a history of doing so. She probably had no reason to think she was in danger when she let him in, to talk to her. I always worry about my nieces, as many of the boys they've dated in the past seem to become obsessed with them. Somehow it seems that more men are becoming obsessed with girls rather than the other way around, in spite of all of the "not ready to commit" stuff we always hear about. I know my nieces would feel they "owed" it to the guy to talk to him one last time and if I knew it was occurring I would be a wreck until I knew they were safe. But in this case, clearly there was no reason to think anything like this would happen.
Except for the seemingly possessive messages that someone left on her Myspace in 2009 (which may be from him). There were 2 in a row that sounded like whomever was upset that she came home (presumably from college?) and didn't call them. That would fit with the "on again, off again" nature of their relationship mentioned in MSM (by LE, I think).

Poor Jenni-Lyn. :( Certainly not the first person to ignore warning flags, if that was the case.

I think it is more grade school where the kids are coddled...by high school they have to earn their grades and the separation begins. But some kids never quite grow up and learn to take responsibility for their behavior.

I remember that our grades in elementary school were O, S+, S, and S-. I don't think any of us even knew what they meant (I remember thinking it was weird that we didn't get ABCDF grades) so I suppose that could be an example of coddling. The separation definitely starts in high school; my school was extremely segregated by academic progress. The AP/honors students and the D students never had a class together after we entered HS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back