GUILTY NY - Jenni-Lyn Watson, 20, Clay, 19 Nov 2010

I wish more criminals would leave their cell phones at their crime scenes... sure would make things a whole lot easier. I wish I could go to Jenni-Lyn's funeral, but I have classes I really had better attend on the same night here in Albany.

I wonder if he used Jenni's phone to call his own cell phone in an attempt to locate his phone not realizing he had left the phone behind at her house, thinking he might have dropped it somewhere in the park while unloading her body. Pretty darn stupid of him to leave his phone at her house if he is trying to not get caught after murdering her. I seriously doubt he left his phone at her house on purpose.

He obviously used her phone to call someone else (mostly likely the person that owned a dark pickup) to make it seem that this was the last person Jenni had spoken with and telling LE that he had seen Jenni getting into the dark colored truck with the older person knowing when LE checked her phone records they would see the call to this person and this person just so happened to own a dark colored truck.

ETA: I guess he didn't do his homework on cellular phone pinging and triangulation.

I'm wondering if he used her phone to send a text to his own phone, maybe even something like "I luv u".

Syracuse.com (Syracuse Post Standard) is probably the best available local paper in the Syracuse area. There is a searchable crime blotter located here:

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/police-blotter/

I searched with "Pieper" in the name field and petit larceny as the crime, and I found an entry for Steven M. Pieper that matches. Happened on July 13, 2010 at the Cicero Walmart - arrest was by the Cicero Police (who have a website but do not appear to have any of their arrest records searchable). That is all the detail provided though so it does not offer much insight.

I used that yesterday, and nothing would come up - even when I searched from June through September dates, with his late name.

Today, I repeated the same search four times, and got results.
Go figure.

But after all of that, we don't know anymore than before ;)

I'm wondering if he shoplifted a "better" ring for her, since the last one was a creepy guy lie:

According to Otis, Pieper claimed it cost $500. Then he said $600. Then he said $800. He said he ordered it off the Home Shopping Network.
Otis said Pieper showed her the ring. It was in a box from Piercing Pagoda, a mall kiosk store.

She told Watson she saw the same ring at Piercing Pagoda, and that it cost $29.
“If it cost 10 cents out of a machine, it wouldn’t have bothered her,” Otis said. “But the fact he lied about it did.”

Source: Post-Standard

It's not really the murder victim's fault that she didn't break up with him the right way-it's the attitude "if you break up with me I will kill you" that we have all come to just accept from men.Do you realize how complacent we have all become-like any time a young woman goes missing we really all "know" she's been murdered and some guy did it-like of course men are going to just kill woman,we just accept that-that is truly the problem.

I'm not saying it's her fault -- not at all.

I'm not reading that he threatened her life, just that he was possessive and a jerk who lied about things, and was dishonest.

Post-Standard.

It's just that "on and off again" empowers the guy; it's a thrill of the chase for him, to get her back. I've seen it happen to friends, and to a particular woman who worked for me.

They were all good, intelligent, caring women....and talented, too.

I'm not saying it's her fault -- not at all.

I'm not reading that he threatened her life, just that he was possessive and a jerk who lied about things, and was dishonest.

Post-Standard.

It's just that "on and off again" empowers the guy; it's a thrill of the chase for him, to get her back. I've seen it happen to friends, and to a particular woman who worked for me.

They were all good, intelligent, caring women....and talented, too.

BBM

There is talk about possibly upping the charge to a more serious charge (first degree murder) depending on what the grand jury says after reviewing the case. This could mean there might be text messages or voice messages sent to Jenni from SP that were of a threatening manner and were retrieved by LE.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/accused_killer_left_his_phone.html

He also declined to elaborate further on his Saturday comment that Pieper could face more serious charges once a grand jury reviews the case. The only more serious charge would be first-degree murder under a finding Watson was intentionally killed during the commission of a felony.

I'm wondering if he used her phone to send a text to his own phone, maybe even something like "I luv u".

Hi, Laytonian. According to one source, the police said that he did use her phone to text friends. It didn't identify any of the friends. According to another source, he used her cell phone to falsely implicate some one else. (Perhaps "her" text said something about being out with another male.)

I think that it's possible that he left his cell phone accidentally in her house after the crime.

In any case, both cell phones helped implicate him: His phone was discovered by Watson's sister and tied him to the house. And the bings of her phone seemed to have narrowed the area of search.

The pictures of these young woman are heartbreaking; I can't imagine the pain this is causing her family and friends.

(I wrote this before I read Joe Friday's excellent speculations above.)

Jenni-Lyn Watson's friends describe ex-boyfriend Steven Pieper as obsessed, mentally abusive

Friends of Jenni-Lyn Watson told the Syracuse Post-Standard that shortly after the 20-year-old college junior went missing, they had a feeling her ex-boyfriend Steven Pieper was responsible.

(Snipped)

But Otis said she never thought the relationship would end violently, until she phoned Pieper to talk about Watson’s disappearance.

"The sound of his voice just shocked me. I was hoping I was wrong. [I thought] that he would sound upset, and be crying when I called. He acted like nothing in the world had happened,” she told the newspaper. "He said, 'Yeah, I'm totally devastated.' In the calmest voice I ever heard."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...ieper_as_obsessed_mentally.html#ixzz16iRlMjfz

This guy was clearly out classed by Jenni and knew it. Sounds like she was infatuated by his attention at 1st,but figured out she had higher standards and wanted something more in life. Not only is he a loser,but he's a not so bright loser. He needs to stay in prison forever,where he belongs.

This guy was clearly out classed by Jenni and knew it. Sounds like she was infatuated by his attention at 1st,but figured out she had higher standards and wanted something more in life. Not only is he a loser,but he's a not so bright loser. He needs to stay in prison forever,where he belongs.

They met in high school, but it seems a classic case of an adoring crush ultimately going nowhere or worse. She went away to college; he got a job at a local Pep Boys. She was outgoing, attractive, and interested in the arts. He was jealous, possessive, and obsessed.

He knew that he had to seal the deal quickly; thus the ring and the lies about the cost of the ring.

So sad this case. Steven sounds like a man that doesn't have much self esteem, probably realized that this lovely young woman was out of his league and tried to trick her into believing he was a wonderful man (like that is shown in rings that cost 10 dollars, 1000 dollars, or a million dollars.)
Sounds like he knew how low his self esteem was, and if he really couldn't have her... no one else could.

It's a shame all around. Parents always need to keep ears and eyes open for these type of issues, they can (and often will) affect other people.

So sad this case. Steven sounds like a man that doesn't have much self esteem, probably realized that this lovely young woman was out of his league and tried to trick her into believing he was a wonderful man (like that is shown in rings that cost 10 dollars, 1000 dollars, or a million dollars.)
Sounds like he knew how low his self esteem was, and if he really couldn't have her... no one else could.

It's a shame all around. Parents always need to keep ears and eyes open for these type of issues, they can (and often will) affect other people.

I'm guessing her parents saw the possessiveness and jealousy and talked to her about it,but most 20 year olds don't want to believe these kind of things. They mistake it for love. Its a fine line a parent walks. If you are too firm you might push their child to the lover. I remember my parents,sensing my ex BIL was no good,trying to keep my sister from him. It made her want him more. She married him and he turned out to be a sexual pervert.
I'm sure Jenni's parents wish they had done more,but I'm not sure it would have made a difference.

Syracuse.com (Syracuse Post Standard) is probably the best available local paper in the Syracuse area. There is a searchable crime blotter located here:

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/police-blotter/

Thank you very much Laytonian, Verity & Boo Scout for helping me figure out why I was finding nothing searching when others did.

I had searched the police-blotter previously and gotten nothing. Did it again just now- got nothing. Then I guessed it might be a case sensitive search- I had used "pieper". Once I entered "Pieper, it worked.

I really appreciate all of your input. This was really driving me nuts.

I'm sure Jenni's parents wish they had done more,but I'm not sure it would have made a difference.

My post was concerning Steven's parents, and how they ought to have seen the signs.. or at least watched out for them.

I do realize how much Jenni's parents did, it was ultimately Steven's actions that affected her.

YWCA: Student's death brings dating violence into spotlight
According to the YWCA Mohawk Valley, the recent murder of 20-year-old college student Jenni-Lyn Watson, of Clay, at the hands of ex-boyfriend Steven Pieper has brought the issue of dating violence into the spotlight.
“Her friends have described her ex-boyfriend as being obsessed with her,” said Gabrielle Danovitz, a community educator for the YWCA Mohawk Valley’s violence prevention program. “They say he wasn’t physically abusive but was controlling, jealous and would text and call her constantly when they weren’t together.”
For those familiar with dating violence, Danovitz said, these behaviors are red flags.
More...

Funeral today for Jenni-Lyn Watson
Funeral services are set for today for murder victim Jenni-Lyn Watson. Services will be conducted at 11:30 a.m. in St. Margaret's Church, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated, with burial to follow.
More... Video included...

Funeral today in Mattydale for Jenni-Lyn Watson
The funeral for Jenni-Lyn Watson is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. today at St. Margaret’s Church in Mattydale.
Hundreds of family and friends stood in long lines Tuesday for the calling hours held at the Thomas J. Pirro funeral home in Salina.
More...

That's not love: Jenni-Lyn Watson's case hits close to home
–The tragedy that’s shaken Central New York over the past two weeks hits too close to home, officials say, to ignore it.
More...

Funeral held for Jenny-Lyn Watson
Funeral services for a Liverpool woman whose body was found in a town of Clay park were held Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. at St. Margaret's Church in Mattydale.
The body of Jenni-Lyn Watson, 20, was found at Clay Central Park, just over a week after she disappeared on Friday, Nov. 19. She was covered in leaves and vegetation.

Hundreds gathered at St. Margaret's Church to mourn Jenni-Lyn Watson
The Rev. Francis Pompei asked everyone in church who handed out posters, joined online communities, searched and prayed for Jenni-Lyn Watson to stand up and be recognized today during her funeral.
“All those who used websites, who passed out flyers, God was with you,” he said as nearly 100 people stood up and the room erupted in applause and tears. “He gave us hope. God was in every text, every Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.”
More...

That's not love: Jenni-Lyn Watson's case hits close to home
–The tragedy that’s shaken Central New York over the past two weeks hits too close to home, officials say, to ignore it.
More...

Funeral held for Jenny-Lyn Watson
Funeral services for a Liverpool woman whose body was found in a town of Clay park were held Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. at St. Margaret's Church in Mattydale.
The body of Jenni-Lyn Watson, 20, was found at Clay Central Park, just over a week after she disappeared on Friday, Nov. 19. She was covered in leaves and vegetation.

Hundreds gathered at St. Margaret's Church to mourn Jenni-Lyn Watson
The Rev. Francis Pompei asked everyone in church who handed out posters, joined online communities, searched and prayed for Jenni-Lyn Watson to stand up and be recognized today during her funeral.
“All those who used websites, who passed out flyers, God was with you,” he said as nearly 100 people stood up and the room erupted in applause and tears. “He gave us hope. God was in every text, every Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.”
More...

There is an interesting article on syracuse.com today detailing how Pieper's friends helped the police in their investigation. The link I tried to post looked too long so I deleted it, but it is today's (12/5) story.

There is an interesting article on syracuse.com today detailing how Pieper's friends helped the police in their investigation. The link I tried to post looked too long so I deleted it, but it is today's (12/5) story.

Exclusive: Steven Pieper's friends grew suspicious as they challenged his story about Jenni-Lyn Watson

Clay, NY -- It had been two days since Steve Pieper or anyone else had seen his ex-girlfriend, Jenni-Lyn Watson.

He’d told two friends that he and Watson had talked on the morning of Friday, Nov. 19, and were getting back together. The friends, Alan Jones and Bryan Holleran, said Pieper appeared nonchalant for two days — even though Watson’s family was upset and questioning him, as were investigators.

They were already suspicious when Pieper told them about a mysterious black pickup truck parked outside Watson’s home in Clay when he’d left that Friday. A man was waiting for her inside the truck, Pieper told them. They thought: Really? Pieper just drove away with a guy waiting for her?

More at link: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/piepers_friends_grew_suspiciou.html

Wow. That article really lays it all out - without going into the actual murder.
Thanks goldie finch and cleo612!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back