Deceased/Not Found NY - Jessica Lopez, 36, Windsor Motel, car found abandoned, Newburgh, 1 Nov 2019 *arrest*

I’m assuming this is one of “those cases” where they’re piecing it together behind closed doors instead of asking the public for any help... since the FBI is involved I think she’s likely not alive and maybe won’t be reported about until charges made, moo
:(
The FBI will get involved when asked to. That's normally when local LE can use the resources that the FBI has in way of additional manpower but more importantly, on lab work on evidence that the locals may not have the equipment or funds to process. So I'd wager they have some evidence, they're just holding it close now to not alarm a POI.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 2:40 PM EST
Updated: Nov 22, 2019 5:18 PM EST
“A 36-year-old Newburgh teacher missing for weeks was last seen at the Windsor Motel with an acquaintance, according to authorities.

Officials say the person Jessica Lopez was last with is a person of interest.

Her disappearance on Nov. 3 might be the result of a domestic incident and there has not been contact since, according to police.

Sources close to the case say the suspect and Lopez had been dating off and on for years.

[SBM]

It is not clear whether or not the person of interest is cooperating with officials.” (BBM)
Police: Disappearance of Newburgh teacher may be result of domestic incident
:(

Last edited:
A domestic incident?

Did she have a fight with a family member, perhaps over this "friend", whom they may have not liked?
The article is rather poorly written and confusing, IMO, but I believe the friend, “acquaintance,” “person of interest,” and “suspect” are all one and and the same.

Apparently the individual and Jessica had dated from time to time, and since LE now says her disappearance may have resulted from a domestic incident, they appear to be suspecting the individual of having harmed Jessica, IMO.

“[SBM]

‘Since taking over the investigation from the City of Newburgh Police, the New Windsor Police Department has focused intensely on this investigation,’ the New Windsor Police Department said in an update released on Friday, Nov. 22.

[SBM]

Lopez was last seen at the Windsor Motel on Route 9W in New Windsor early on Nov. 3, though she has not been heard from since and is ’missing under suspicious circumstances,’ police said.

[SBM]

Lopez’s silver 2005 Toyota Camry was located by police at the Showtime Cinema on Route 300 in Newburgh, and investigators are asking the community to help determine a timeline of where her vehicle was traveling between 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 3.

As part of the search for Lopez, police said that they’ve utilized fixed-wing and helicopter aviation from the New York State Police, drone aviation and watercraft from the New York State Police and the New York State DEC, scuba divers from the New York State Police, various police agency canines, ATV’s and even metal detectors.

More searches are expected to be held this weekend. In total, police have followed up on more than 350 leads.

‘I have witnessed the investigators incredible dedication, teamwork and focus in this case and I can assure you that they are doing everything they possibly can for Jessica and her family,’ New Windsor Police Chief Robert Doss said. ‘These investigators are exploring all possibilities as to where Jessica could be and what exactly happened on (Nov. 3) We have learned that Jessica was with a known acquaintance of hers at the Windsor Motel on and we are exploring the possibility that her disappearance is domestic-related.‘ (BBM)

[SBM]”
Police Provide Update On Teacher Who Went Missing Three Weeks Ago

I can't find any updates at all on Jessica's Disappearance. Have anybody you guys ?
The last LE or media update was late November. I've checked court records and she's had no vehicular traffic tickets or anything of record since she went missing. I'm sure LE is monitoring bank and phone activity.

Jessica G Lopez NamUs page The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

Date of Last Contact November 2, 2019
Location Newburgh, New York
County Orange County

Height 5' 2" (62 Inches)
Weight 123 lbs
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Brown

Scar/mark scar on the left side center of her head to the back of her head and a right ankle scar

Tattoo Jessica has a red rose tattoo on the back of her neck and “Y Loca” tattoo on the side of her lower left leg/ankle area.

Circumstances of Disappearance Last seen at Windsor Motel

"One count alleges that he removed Lopez’s body from room 33, placed her in the trunk of her car, drove the car to an unknown location and concealed the body. Another count alleges that he deleted text messages between her cellular telephone and his cellular telephone, messages that were sent at about 5:30 a.m. on November 3, 2019. The third count of alleges that he disposed of Lopez’s cellphone so it could not be used as evidence."

LOTS of info at this link: Newburgh Man Charged With Killing Hudson Valley Teacher Who Went Missing 1 Year Ago

Orange County man indicted in death of missing woman - Mid Hudson News

“I’m very confident Mr. Mercado killed her,” said Hoovler. “I’m very confident I can prove he killed her, and I’m very confident it can be done without the recovery of the body.”

Hoovler said there are many cases of video that helped with the indictment of Mercado, who was also charged with second-degree burglary, grand larceny and multiple charges of tampering with evidence.

Jessica G. Lopez – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Lopez was last seen by at the Windsor Motel on Route 92 in New Windsor, New York in the early hours of November 3, 2019. She was staying there with her sometime boyfriend, Matthew Louis Mercado, She has never been heard from again. That evening, her silver 2005 Toyota Camry wit h the New Jersey license plate number JDC9597 was found abandoned at the Showtime Cinemas on Route 300 in Newburgh, New York, the town where she lived.

According to police, at about 5:00 a.m., Lopez tried to leave their motel room and Mercado restrained her and killed her. He subsequently deleted text messages between them from his phone, and disposed of her phone. He put her body in the trunk of her own car and then disposed of the remains. One theory of the case is that Mercado unintentionally killed Lopez while committing or attempting to commit the crimes of robbery and/or kidnapping; another theory is that he deliberately caused her death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back