NY NY - Jessica Rose Lane, 66, Darien/Cheektowaga, Nov 1977

AutumnAkasha

Reaction score
police-revisit-39-year-old-darien-murder-20170413

State Police handout photo of Jessica Rose Lane.
Police revisit 39-year-old Darien murder

DARIEN - On Nov. 25, 1977 two men were hunting deer off Alley Road, the most southwest corner of Darien, when they made a grisly discovery.

An older woman, fully clothes, was found dead in a section of woods.

An autopsy later revealed that the woman, identified as Jessica Rose Lane, 66, of Cheektowaga has been bludgeoned and stabbed, suffering three fractured ribs, a broken left elbow and a fractured skull most likely caused by a knife thrust into her head.

New York State Police investigated the case and on Tuesday made it part of Troop A’s “Cold Case Tuesday,” an occasional series of press releases on various cold cases in the area.

Lane was last seen on Nov. 11, 1977 at Williamstown Apartments in Cheektowaga. She lived alone, mostly kept to herself and rarely had visitors.

Police at the time were unable to pinpoint the location where Lane was murdered. Investigators, however, did interview neighbors, including residents who lived in an apartment below Lane. They said they heard two “thumps” between 4 and 4:30 a.m. on Nov. 12.

A few leads were developed but no arrests have ever been made linking anyone to the murder.

Alley Lane is a small, lightly traveled road. The area borders both Erie and Wyoming counties and is about 20 miles from the apartment complex where lane lived.

Anyone who may have information on the case can cotact Investigator Ron Wilson of Troop A Bureau of Criminal Investigation, 716-361-1585. Refer to SJS #3029541.

Cheektowaga woman subject of State Police cold case | Cheektowaga Chronicle

Last edited:
Oh wow. Who would do such a thing to an older woman? Beat her, stab her in the HEAD? Then leave her in the woods? Possibly between 4 and 430? If it were just a burglary, none of this needed to happen. Someone was angry, either at her, or just itching to harm someone in general. I wonder if the killing itself happened in the woods or in the apartment.

Oh wow. Who would do such a thing to an older woman? Beat her, stab her in the HEAD? Then leave her in the woods? Possibly between 4 and 430? If it were just a burglary, none of this needed to happen. Someone was angry, either at her, or just itching to harm someone in general. I wonder if the killing itself happened in the woods or in the apartment.

The neighbors say they heard two loud thuds in her apartment the night of the day she was last seen. That could've been unrelated or perhaps even a false memory but, if that's true I think it would be too coincidental to not be related.

And I agree, if it was an assault and burglary why move her? There's definitely a lot of missing pieces here!

And the fact that no sexual assault is mentioned and she was fully clothed. Sounds like this was a very personal, targeted killing to me. Unless, like you mentioned there was just someone out there itching to hurt someone and she was just an easy target :(

Glad to hear they have suspects, and I hope there's some DNA to work with.

She was an elegant and proud-looking woman. Beautiful bone structure. Sad that she was so alone, despite the photo with the baby. May she rest in peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back