Found Deceased NY - John Castic, 27, getting an Uber after leaving the Mirage venue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, 29 July 2023

Glad there's finally msm so this can be posted here, I've been seeing posts elsewhere. There's more info from friends who were with John on other sites, posted themselves, that shares more about what the police have done so far and what other possibilities have been looked into. If John's friends are here on WS, you should become Verified Insiders so you can comment and spread info here. People here are shockingly great at finding information/connections/records/etc.

The Brooklyn Mirage on google maps here

There is a small waterway nearby, but large portions of it, especially by the Mirage, are enclosed by commercial/industrial buildings - not like Chicago where there are bars/venues directly on the water. His phone pinging so close to the water, very close to this bridge, is scary - although I just cannot imagine ACCIDENTALLY falling into the water here. You can't even see the water from most street view shots. Super common place to grab an Uber away from the venue back to the city though.

Not super proud of it, but I've been black out drunk in this area of Brooklyn before, alone at night, and was not even aware there was water around. It baffles me that this keeps happening to young men.

Last edited:
I have been to that part of Brooklyn too. Walked across those bridges over the canal and creek. Unfortunately I’ve always felt they were too low to cancel the possibility of accidentally falling over, esp if you are impaired and stumbling due to drinking. But hoping this is not the case here…

I have been to that part of Brooklyn too. Walked across those bridges over the canal and creek. Unfortunately I’ve always felt they were too low to cancel the possibility of accidentally falling over, esp if you are impaired and stumbling due to drinking. But hoping this is not the case here…
Yup. First thing I looked at was to see if there was water nearby. Looks like there are tons of entry points, and he could have traveled a couple different directions to get there. Not good.

Castic's phone went dark soon after he left the venue, but the Find My app puts him on the Metropolitan Avenue Bridge at 3:50 a.m., Stenson said.

His friends have since searched the area near the Newtown Creek bridge and the venue sent videos of Castic leaving the Brooklyn Mirage to police, who Stenson says have been slow to respond.

Hopeful LE or private parties are exploring a dredge of Newtown Creek and English Kills. Does the timeline flow where he left the Mirage around 2:30 and pinged near the Metropolitan Avenue Bridge around 3:50? It’s a half-mile walk but with complicated street crossings. Hmm.

Hopeful LE or private parties are exploring a dredge of Newtown Creek and English Kills. Does the timeline flow where he left the Mirage around 2:30 and pinged near the Metropolitan Avenue Bridge around 3:50? It’s a half-mile walk but with complicated street crossings. Hmm.
Newtown Creek is a polluted, industrial waterway, for anyone unfamiliar with the location. I've walked along it and watched a plant where cars were crushed and put on barges in the water. (My son was young at the time and thought it was cool.) It's stinky. The water is gross.

Just thought I'd mention that for people unfamiliar with the area and think the creek might be a pleasant location. The vibe is urban grit and I can't imagine being there in the middle of the night.

jmo

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

There was a Daily Mail article that made mention of there being a bunch of unlicensed taxis outside of the venue that night.

Mystery as Goldman Sachs analyst, 27, vanishes after Brooklyn gig

... His friends say he left the venue at 2:30am.

One person on Reddit claimed that there had been crowds of unlicensed cab drivers hovering around the area, and speculated Castic could have got in one of their vehicles to try and get home.

Police initially refused to raise the alarm, they said, because he did not have any known mental health issues, but by Monday evening had assigned a detective to the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
He left the Mirage venue around 2:30. He was seen approaching a waiting Uber, but did not go in, maybe realizing it wasn't his Uber. Reportedly, his phone went dark. But records show that his phone pings at 3:50? near the Metropolitan Avenue Bridge? According to what I plotted into Google Maps, it is only an 8-minute walk from the Mirage to the Met Ave Bridge, but his phone pings over an hour later. And why would he have walked there anyway unless he was attempting to walk home? He lived on the Bowery in Manhattan, which would have been an hour and half walk from the Mirage.

He left the Mirage venue around 2:30. He was seen approaching a waiting Uber, but did not go in, maybe realizing it wasn't his Uber. Reportedly, his phone went dark. But records show that his phone pings at 3:50? near the Metropolitan Avenue Bridge? According to what I plotted into Google Maps, it is only an 8-minute walk from the Mirage to the Met Ave Bridge, but his phone pings over an hour later. And why would he have walked there anyway unless he was attempting to walk home? He lived on the Bowery in Manhattan, which would have been an hour and half walk from the Mirage.

Where are you getting this information from? Your son?

makes me nervous bc 1) water, and 2) all of the people going missing from NYC clubs being robbed/killed

Missing Person, John Castic

Sara Kostecka, a woman claiming to be his "best friend" on Facebook, has shared multiple posts about his disappearance and said she had heard rumors of "creepy people" operating near the venue.

"Any information would be greatly appreciated, as well as sharing this to anyone in NYC that might have seen him," she wrote on a Facebook post on Monday.

"I've heard rumors from people about being asked to hop in a taxi/ cab from some creepy people near the Mirage - reminder to stay safe and check in on your friends.

"I'm supposed to walk with him in my brothers wedding next week.. we just wanna find John"

Last edited:
makes me nervous bc 1) water, and 2) all of the people going missing from NYC clubs being robbed/killed

I was just thinking about this too, especially because the perpetrators used uber to move the victims around, even riding with one of them at one point

"I know there’s been a series of young adult males, mid 20s, going missing and ending up in bodies of water in Chicago recently," Kostecka said, referencing the Smiley Face Killer theory. "I’m praying this isn’t related, but I fear it is."

Citizen sleuths have speculated online that a serial killer is responsible for nearly a dozen bodies pulled out of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan in 2022.

"I know there’s been a series of young adult males, mid 20s, going missing and ending up in bodies of water in Chicago recently," Kostecka said, referencing the Smiley Face Killer theory. "I’m praying this isn’t related, but I fear it is."

Citizen sleuths have speculated online that a serial killer is responsible for nearly a dozen bodies pulled out of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan in 2022.
I'm looking forward to the point where we have surveillance footage to debunk the Smiley Face Killer in every single case. It's an absolutely ridiculous theory. Don't get me wrong, it's tragic that drunk men are drawn to water. It sounds unbelievable. But the idea of someone(s) lurking in major cities across the world waiting to shove drunk men into rivers is unbelievable to a power of a hundred.

I think it comes down to, when tragic things happen, people want someone to blame. But sometimes life is just cruel and it's nobody's fault. I will say that if all the hysteria about the Smiley Face Killer were filtered into a "don't let friends leave alone" campaign for men, a lot fewer men would stumble into rivers. But as with most conspiracy theories, it exists just to hear itself shout, to the benefit of exactly nobody.

John will almost certainly be found in the water. Hopefully there will be surveillance footage to show how he ended up there and quiet the foul play crowd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back