Found Deceased NY - John Castic, 27, getting an Uber after leaving the Mirage venue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, 29 July 2023

Do we even know if he was drinking? I haven't seen that reported anywhere and yet it seems to be being taken as a fact. The articles all say the guy who disappeared from this club previously had been kicked out for drinking so do they even sell alcohol here? I'm not assuming foul play but I'm also not going to assume he drunkenly fell into a body of water.

I'm looking forward to the point where we have surveillance footage to debunk the Smiley Face Killer in every single case. It's an absolutely ridiculous theory. Don't get me wrong, it's tragic that drunk men are drawn to water. It sounds unbelievable. But the idea of someone(s) lurking in major cities across the world waiting to shove drunk men into rivers is unbelievable to a power of a hundred.

I think it comes down to, when tragic things happen, people want someone to blame. But sometimes life is just cruel and it's nobody's fault. I will say that if all the hysteria about the Smiley Face Killer were filtered into a "don't let friends leave alone" campaign for men, a lot fewer men would stumble into rivers. But as with most conspiracy theories, it exists just to hear itself shout, to the benefit of exactly nobody.

John will almost certainly be found in the water. Hopefully there will be surveillance footage to show how he ended up there and quiet the foul play crowd.
Exactly this. It happens more often to men because women are trained from a young age to not walk alone, stay in a group, etc. We tend to stick together or constantly check on each other when drinking (at least, this was how my friend group was. And I lived in Chicago in my twenties.) These ‘Smiley Face Killer’ efforts would be better used to spread awareness to men about the dangers of drinking and walking alone after, awareness of bodies of water, etc.

Exactly this. It happens more often to men because women are trained from a young age to not walk alone, stay in a group, etc. We tend to stick together or constantly check on each other when drinking (at least, this was how my friend group was. And I lived in Chicago in my twenties.) These ‘Smiley Face Killer’ efforts would be better used to spread awareness to men about the dangers of drinking and walking alone after, awareness of bodies of water, etc.
Agree. Men or women, don’t let your friends leave a venue alone, full stop.

For anyone wondering about the place name Kills, it's from Dutch and means a waterway. New York City was New Amsterdam before the English took it over and changed the name. Just mentioning it because the word "kills" sounds ominous, like an area named for murder, when that is not the case!

Now, we await answers.

jmo

I'm afraid I feel like this has to be him :(

The odds are quite slim that another body would be found a couple days after and literally right where his phone last pinged and not be him but can always be hopeful it's not. 1100 Grand is where the report of a body is and the bridge where is last phone last pinged is right there.

1690912527580.png

If it is, I wonder if we will ever know if he fell in or met foul play and was thrown in/over? There are cameras all over that area whether it be residential/commercial security, store fronts, CCTV etc so hopefully they can see footage to confirm if he ever got in a car or was seen walking or who was on or around the bridge when it pinged his phone there.

A body was pulled from waters near where a Goldman Sachs senior analyst went missing following a concert at The Brooklyn Mirage — just weeks after another man vanished not far from the venue and was found dead in the same creek.

The body was discovered facedown just after 11 a.m. Tuesday in the English Kill tributary of the Newtown Creek near 1100 Grand Street — about a half mile from the Bushwick concert venue, police sources said.

I'm afraid I feel like this has to be him :(

The odds are quite slim that another body would be found a couple days after and literally right where his phone last pinged and not be him but can always be hopeful it's not. 1100 Grand is where the report of a body is and the bridge where is last phone last pinged is right there.

View attachment 438394

If it is, I wonder if we will ever know if he fell in or met foul play and was thrown in/over? There are cameras all over that area whether it be residential/commercial security, store fronts, CCTV etc so hopefully they can see footage to confirm if he ever got in a car or was seen walking or who was on or around the bridge when it pinged his phone there.
His father said it was "death by misadventure", a tragedy certainly. Body pulled from NYC waterway identified as missing Goldman Sachs staffer, family says

Not to mention, men also may go towards water to "relieve" themselves especially while drunk. It is my theory that sometimes this may be the reason they are found in water.

R.I.P. John I am glad you were found quickly so that your family can lay you to rest

It does seem harsh but his father is grieving and I’ve seen firsthand how sometimes grief manifests itself as anger. His loved one made what he views as a big mistake and paid the price and I’m sure he wishes he could turn back time and tell him to do something differently.

RIP John :( By all accounts I’ve seen from those who knew him he was a smart and interesting man and even better friend.

Yes, I wonder why the father would say he did something dumb? What was 'dumb', to go to a concert? To leave alone? To be walking around that late at night? Does he know something else possibly?

He must have not left the venue right at 2:30 if he was seen walking right in front of it at 3:15. But its an 8 min walk from were he was seen on camera which would put him at the bridge right around 3:23 and based on research a phone can still ping being submerged in water for about only 30 mins so if his last ping put him at bridge at 3:50 that could mean he was in the water almost immediately after he got to that spot.

But where was he walking and why? It's quite possible that his Uber didnt work out so instead of trying to get another which would make the most sense especially if not feeling well he decided to take the subway. From the bridge, he could have just stayed on that street and walked about 10 more minutes to be at the Grand St subway station to take the L train home.
The fact that the father would bring up him ending up in the creek had anything to due with a peanut allergy blows my mind. Is he insinuating that he went into anaphylactic shock 8 minutes after he was seen on the video looking completely fine and it just so happened to be the moment he was near the bridge and that caused him end up in the water?? If you have a severe allergy you also typically care epi-pen or would at least immediately call for help. None of this makes sense to me.

MOO from experience in a similar scene - <modsnip - not victim friendly> 2:30 is pretty early to turn in in NYC, tons of bars are open until 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see by these photos that the lowest part of the bridge is still about the height of an average person and then a fence part double the size so probably around 10ft tall. IMO that rules him accidentally falling over the side as that would not be readily possible if you are just walking down the sidewalk and were walking fine on camera a few minutes prior.

If you look on Google Earth, there is no easy way to get down to the creek area by any means, so that rules out him walking down there if he had to pee, not to mention there is a 24 hour gas station right after the small bridge.

IMHO I think he either met foul play or unalived himself...is no one going to discuss this anymore since he is no longer missing?

1691085605832.png

1691085626209.png

You can see by these photos that the lowest part of the bridge is still about the height of an average person and then a fence part double the size so probably around 10ft tall. IMO that rules him accidentally falling over the side as that would not be readily possible if you are just walking down the sidewalk and were walking fine on camera a few minutes prior.

If you look on Google Earth, there is no easy way to get down to the creek area by any means, so that rules out him walking down there if he had to pee, not to mention there is a 24 hour gas station right after the small bridge.

IMHO I think he either met foul play or unalived himself...is no one going to discuss this anymore since he is no longer missing?

View attachment 438827

View attachment 438828

He could have done something like try to hop up on the edge to sit and accidentally flipped backwards off the edge, or may have even done something like trying to walk the edge. It does come across to me as relatively suspicious since another individual wound up in the same creek after being at the same venue, but it's also a wide edge and could be very inviting to think you'll hop up and sit there to burn one while looking out at the lights, I don't know...

MOO.

View attachment 438827

View attachment 438828
Unaliving doesn't seem a strong possibility considering other bridges that are higher and over bigger bodies of water (like bridges over the East River) are not that far away. I'm not sure jumping off this bridge would necessarily give the result. Then again, the other bridges have cameras, drivers going by, other people on the bridge while this one is likely more desolate in the middle of the night. Sigh, I don't know.

Two men, age 27, were last seen leaving the Brooklyn Mirage on different nights to wait for a cab to go home. Both of these men were later found deceased in Newtown Creek with no signs of trauma. Although the police have said the two deaths are not related, the similarities are striking and I'm worried that this is going to happen again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back