NY NY - Joseph Helt, 17, hiking Sam's Point ice caves, Ellenville, 16 Jan 1987

I believe the witness that the following happened to Joe. She has no motivation to lie. Glad that she came forward over all these years. Politics, (The father of one of the boys being a judge.) Local LE may have been intimidated to get involved because of this: Seen At 11: Woman Claims To Know What Caused Joe Helt's 1987 Disapparance From Mountain Near Ellenville, New York One of the boys moved out of the area after this happened. Do you guys remember which one?

Satch

I don't remember who it was but there are news articles that mention it.

I believe that the boys killed Joe over a drug deal. If you agree, how do you think they did it? The car never got stuck in the snow. Joe's body is probably buried somewhere on that mountain path.

Satch

I believe that the boys killed Joe over a drug deal. If you agree, how do you think they did it? The car never got stuck in the snow. Joe's body is probably buried somewhere on that mountain path.

Satch
I doubt he was ever buried, given the time of the year this happened and the ground probably frozen. I'd say the terrain gave plenty of opportunities to dispose of a body where it wouldn't likely be found.

JAN 16, 2021
[...]

According to witness statements provided to the New York State Police, Joe was partying with some friends at Mount Cathalia, an abandoned ski lodge turned popular hangout spot, just outside Ellenville.

Late into the night and into the early morning hours of Saturday, January 17, the partying continued. Joe and three of his friends — JL, WM and KD — eventually left the lodge for a late-night drive in JL’s Subaru. At some point, the vehicle became stuck in the snow on the side of Sam’s Point Road, a road that winds through a preserve in the Shawangunk Ridge.

After multiple attempts to get the car out, a frustrated Joe walked down the mountain alone, in the dark, in an effort to find help, his friends told police. It was the last time Joe was ever seen.

[...]

Joe’s family filed a missing persons report on January 17 with the Ellenville Police Department and a massive search was launched immediately that weekend. The small village department was soon joined by New York State Police (NYSP), forest rangers, family and friends. They utilized helicopters and tracking dogs and scoured miles of land that consisted of caves and deep crevices. But the snow kept falling, and was not letting up.

[...]

After several days of searching, their efforts were ultimately halted by the snowstorm which lasted long into the week.

[...]

Searches resumed in the spring when the snow had melted and the frozen ground had thawed. But there was no trace of Joe, not even one of his shoes or a piece of clothing.

[...]

Captain Tripodo told the New York Times in 2011 that the New York State Police interviewed two of the friends, KD and WM, both of whom were Joe’s classmates, as well as JL, who was 21. He added that the men abandoned JL’s car and walked home shortly after Joe left.

Though the authorities initially considered these three men persons of interest who “offered us information,” Captain Tripodo said, the police found no evidence of a crime. He added that efforts to interview the men again throughout the years were unsuccessful.

[...]

Investigator Schoonmaker added that at this time, the New York State Police have no reason to reclassify this case as anything other than an “active missing persons investigation.” She said that she does believe there is “more information available out there” and encourages the public to come forward with any tips.

[...]

Anyone with information about Joe’s case is asked to call the New York State Police at (845) 626-2800. His case is #SJS3009202. You can also contact the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678. Joe’s case number is 1150362.

Jan 31 2021
Cold Case: Disappearance Of 17-Year-Old In Area Remains Mystery

helt_1_gvpvkb

Joseph Helt Photo Credit: New York State Police
''Joseph D. Helt disappeared in Ulster County, on Friday, Jan. 16, 1987, when he was just 17 years old, Trooper Steven Nevel said.

''But state police are still hopeful that someone has a clue that will break the case.

Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to call the New York State Police in Ellenville at 845-626-2800.

He was last seen at an outdoor party at an abandoned ski lodge off Mount Cathalia Road near Sam’s Point ice caves in Ellenville, Nevel said.

Helt left Mount Cathalia with friends in a white Subaru to drive to the ice caves at Sam’s Point. The vehicle got stuck in the snow. Helt left the area on foot to find help and was not seen again. ''

This disappearance is so sad. How did Joe get to the party and does anyone know why that means of transport home didn't occur? Did anyone at the party actually see him get in the Subaru with the three acquaintances? I think I read somewhere that the building used by teens for the party was destroyed shortly after Joe's disappearance. If so, who authorized that? Prayers to family and friends.

JAN 16, 2021
[...]

According to witness statements provided to the New York State Police, Joe was partying with some friends at Mount Cathalia, an abandoned ski lodge turned popular hangout spot, just outside Ellenville.

Late into the night and into the early morning hours of Saturday, January 17, the partying continued. Joe and three of his friends — JL, WM and KD — eventually left the lodge for a late-night drive in JL’s Subaru. At some point, the vehicle became stuck in the snow on the side of Sam’s Point Road, a road that winds through a preserve in the Shawangunk Ridge.

After multiple attempts to get the car out, a frustrated Joe walked down the mountain alone, in the dark, in an effort to find help, his friends told police. It was the last time Joe was ever seen.

[...]

Joe’s family filed a missing persons report on January 17 with the Ellenville Police Department and a massive search was launched immediately that weekend. The small village department was soon joined by New York State Police (NYSP), forest rangers, family and friends. They utilized helicopters and tracking dogs and scoured miles of land that consisted of caves and deep crevices. But the snow kept falling, and was not letting up.

[...]

After several days of searching, their efforts were ultimately halted by the snowstorm which lasted long into the week.

[...]

Searches resumed in the spring when the snow had melted and the frozen ground had thawed. But there was no trace of Joe, not even one of his shoes or a piece of clothing.

[...]

Captain Tripodo told the New York Times in 2011 that the New York State Police interviewed two of the friends, KD and WM, both of whom were Joe’s classmates, as well as JL, who was 21. He added that the men abandoned JL’s car and walked home shortly after Joe left.

Though the authorities initially considered these three men persons of interest who “offered us information,” Captain Tripodo said, the police found no evidence of a crime. He added that efforts to interview the men again throughout the years were unsuccessful.

[...]

Investigator Schoonmaker added that at this time, the New York State Police have no reason to reclassify this case as anything other than an “active missing persons investigation.” She said that she does believe there is “more information available out there” and encourages the public to come forward with any tips.

[...]

Anyone with information about Joe’s case is asked to call the New York State Police at (845) 626-2800. His case is #SJS3009202. You can also contact the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678. Joe’s case number is 1150362.

Joseph David Helt, who is originally from Ellenville, was 17 years old when he went missing. According to a Dateline article that was published in 2021, Joseph was out partying with friends at Mount Cathalia on January 16th, 1987.
Mount Cathalia was a former ski lodge and, at the time, a popular hangout.

What Happened to Joseph David Helt?​

Dateline reports that Joseph was last seen after going out for a late night drive after the party. The car he was in somehow got stuck in a snowy ditch by Sam's Point. It's been documented that Joseph walked away from his friends to get help and hasn't been seen since.
It’s like he just disappeared into thin air. But a person doesn’t just disappear. Something happened to him. I felt it that night and I still feel it.”
The Charley Project adds that Joseph was last seen wearing a "camouflage-print jacket, a t-shirt, a long-sleeved thermal shirt, a gray hooded sweatshirt and white high-top sneakers." They also shared a digital image with an age progression photo which you can see below. Joseph would be about 53 years old now.

The Charley Project

The Charley Project

If you have any information on Joseph Helt and what may have happened that cold January night in 1987, call the New York State Police at 845-626-2800. Joseph's case number is:#SJS3009202

Read More:
Help Solve 35-year-old Ellenville, NY Missing Persons Case | https://hudsonvalleycountry.com/can...-case/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

I just read the story, and although the friends he was with deny any wrong doing, the story doesn't make too much sense. Why drive in bad weather if you weren't heading to a specific destination. Ok they're teenage boys, but one if them said Joe wad to go back to his house to party and then crash overnight...so why would Joe leave by himself, why would he walk with that friend to the friends house which the friend did alone and made it home, why wouldn't he walk with him if the plan was to go there to begin with?

I just drove past Ellenville today, I always think of this young man when I do, I too was 16 in 1988 and had guy friends in high schoolthat could have been him.
I strongly believe he's out there waiting to be found. I do believe he met with foul play, intentional or not. I don't believe he left by himself in the dark and snow to get help at 3:30am, nothing would be open and people would be sleeping. He was supposed to crash at one of the friends home that night, so why wouldn't they walk back together. One guy lived only a mile away, so why would he walk without them further then necessary. Story makes no sense, definitely seems something was covered up. Just read posters about his case were being torn down recently too. So sad, if the person(s) that did something to him aren't punished in this life, I believe they will get their comeuppance in the next.

I just drove past Ellenville today, I always think of this young man when I do, I too was 16 in 1988 and had guy friends in high schoolthat could have been him.
I strongly believe he's out there waiting to be found. I do believe he met with foul play, intentional or not. I don't believe he left by himself in the dark and snow to get help at 3:30am, nothing would be open and people would be sleeping. He was supposed to crash at one of the friends home that night, so why wouldn't they walk back together. One guy lived only a mile away, so why would he walk without them further then necessary. Story makes no sense, definitely seems something was covered up. Just read posters about his case were being torn down recently too. So sad, if the person(s) that did something to him aren't punished in this life, I believe they will get their comeuppance in the next.
I also think his body is anywhere between the old ski lodge he was seen at partying and a remote side road in the area or close to where the 21 year old lived, if he was murdered. The weather definitely wouldn't permit digging, these were guys in high school, not premeditated planned murder. I think they could've left him somewhere where they wouldn't have to carry him far etc. I'm wondering if police searches of the area still happen, especially this time of year before the brush starts growing?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back