NY-Long Island-Four bodies found on Beach-Possible Serial Killer-Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The snow came last night. The first body was found over the weekend when there was no snow.

Sheesh. NG can't get any of this straight can she?!

TY

Its not near the Hamptons at all. Im trying to call her show. But I know yr just posting what she has on her show.

Thanks, I was just about to ask about that!
I have been to the Hamptons and I just couldn't get the
Long Island thing.........it was so confusing!

I thought I was crazy!!

I am so not getting these stories!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=7843812

However, the discovery comes almost 8 months after Gilbert's family say she made a frantic 911 call for help from the same location.

"Her last phone call was 21 minutes to 911, when she was grabbed and pulled into a truck, the police missed her by about 5," said Mari Gilbert, Shannon's mother.
"She was basically running away, trying to leave, and it was her going 'get away from me, get away from me', running and knocking on neighbor's doors," said Sherre Gilberg, Shannon's sister.
"Screaming, 'help me, help me, he's trying to kill me," Mari Gilbert said.

The "same location" is desolate. There are no houses unless you are in Gilgo which is west of where the bodies were found or Oak Beach which is east. Neither of which are on Fire Island.

Hmmm... wonder what led LE to that spot to look for her, particularly.

On NG they said LE was in a training session with K9. Its posted in a article on the 1st page.

Who would have burlap bags?
restaurants........potatoes?
landscapers
feed mills........animal feed
fisherman...........shell fish lawyer just said and he said especially if 'they were dismembered' OH NO NOT AGAIN!!!

FWIW, NG said that a LEO was out walking his dog and the dog found the first set of remains.

I'd read elsewhere (will have to find that info) that the LEO was out training his dog.

Haven't read that LE targeted this spot purposely.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/cops-bodies-found-near-ocean-parkway-1.2539606

On Saturday, a canine unit was searching in the area on a missing-persons case as well as for training purposes when the skeletal remains were discovered.

The remains in the underbrush, were about 6 or 8 feet from the road's shoulder.

Pelkofsky said a missing-person report had been made in May for Shonnan Gilbert, 24, of Jersey City, who police had been looking for Saturday when they found the remains.

Why did they say 4 bodies then 3.......then not sure if all women........
shutting off NG, she is confusing me more every minute!!

They first found 1, then they found 2 more and then they found a 4th. They didn't find them all at once. So some articles out there in MSM say "body found" or "3 bodies found" or "4th body found".

Megan Waterman was from Maine and a tourist. I guess that's why she said tourist. Okay, now that makes sense.

Pat Brown said she thinks it's a SK working alone...doesn't have a tag-along.

What's weird about the Fire Island tie-in to Shannon is that to get to a home on Fire Island from the spot where the bodies were found is not easy. You need a boat, either personal or ferry, to get to residential Fire Island.

Also, I read an article which stated Fire Island is a mile from the bodies' location. Fire Island *is* close by, but just the state park - Robert Moses.

Whoever it is probably lives inland.

Actually, you can walk into the residential area of Fire Island from Robert Moses State Park--we did it this summer. It's about a 1/2 mile walk on a sandy road--and at some times of year that road is open to car traffic--up to the town of Kismet (I think that's to allow people to ferry supplies in some times). But it's true that cars aren't allowed in town and on the rest of the Island.

The area where the bodies were found are on Long Island's South shore. Attached is a link to a detailed map of Fire Island.

Link to map

If you scroll to the left as far as you can go, and look toward the bottom of the map to the area left of "Fire Island Lighthouse Visitor Center" you will see "Captree State Park". To the left of that is Ocean Parkway, with Oak Beach listed below it. This is the area where they found the bodies. As you can tell, there is water to the north and the south of the area. To reach it, you either have to come across the Robert Moses Causeway, or come from the west, which is where Jones Beach and Gilgo Beach State Parks are located.

There are beach communities in the area (on Oak Island and Captree Island), but a lot of it is protected wetlands and state park areas. It is pretty dark and desolate there at night. There used to be a night club in the area on the map where the words "Oak Beach" are printed and the club was called the Oak Beach Inn. I believe that may be the club that, according to Nancy Grace's show, Donald Trump is trying to purchase. I believe it is closed now.

Montauk Point and the Hamptons are due east, probably and hour, more likely an hour and a half drive away (on a good day). But, there are lots of young yuppies, gay men, etc. who spend their summers on Fire Island.

The Oak Beach Inn was torn down years ago. The property where Trump wants to build a catering hall is at Jones Beach. He wants to buy a restaurant there.

Kismet is walkable from Robert Moses, if you don't mind walking through the nude beach.

Fire Island is also the 2nd home to many families who have houses there. Gay men are just what 1 or 2 villages of Fire Island are known for. The rest is just families, singles with homeshares, etc.

The Oak Beach Inn was torn down years ago. The property where Trump wants to build a catering hall is at Jones Beach. He wants to buy a restaurant there.

Kismet is walkable from Robert Moses, if you don't mind walking through the nude beach.

Thank you for the update! I have not been there for a number of years as I now live in Canada. I imagine Trump probably wants to purchase the old restaurant at Jones Beach (I believe it is located on the boardwalk near Fields 5 or 6.) That makes more sense.

Did you ever go to the OBI, Penelope? Good times! Very sad to see it go when it did.

I am so not getting these stories!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=7843812

However, the discovery comes almost 8 months after Gilbert's family say she made a frantic 911 call for help from the same location.

"Her last phone call was 21 minutes to 911, when she was grabbed and pulled into a truck, the police missed her by about 5," said Mari Gilbert, Shannon's mother.
"She was basically running away, trying to leave, and it was her going 'get away from me, get away from me', running and knocking on neighbor's doors," said Sherre Gilberg, Shannon's sister.
"Screaming, 'help me, help me, he's trying to kill me," Mari Gilbert said.

The "same location" is desolate. There are no houses unless you are in Gilgo which is west of where the bodies were found or Oak Beach which is east. Neither of which are on Fire Island.

Hmmm... wonder what led LE to that spot to look for her, particularly.

Yes, I agree--this story is really confusing! It's not clear at all what "location" they are talking about, since the truck part would imply that it is not Fire Island, but the running to neighboring houses wouldn't really fit the dump spot area. And why, if the police had all this info and this long 911 call, and the attacker's name(!), is the case still unsolved at this point? My only thought is that perhaps the police were able to get cell phone pings from this area from Gilbert's phone, which is why they were doing a search there? But why using it as a training search instead of a full-out search sooner than now? Maybe this was outside the original search area? It's really bizarre to me that the original story about Gilbert didn't receive more publicity (or maybe I just didn't see it--but I live in the area and stay pretty current on local stories) with such bizarre and scary details as that phone call.

The most recent body was dumped there about 1 month ago, according to Nancy Grace show. The area was about 3 miles from where the 911 call was made. The area is very sandy with much brush. The brush had died off making the bodies easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa