NY NY - Mark Seelman, 16, & Douglas Goodwin, 18, Rome, 7 June 1990

These two are defnintely dead and i find it bizarre there are police who believe that they are out there somewhere. Even if DOuglasg Goodwin was someone of a 'black sheep' in the family, the lack of interest in him compared to the seelman family is shocking.

i could be really reaching here, with the age being a few years off (he would have been 23 in 1995) and the height is 2 inches off, and the weight is off - but he could have obviously gained a few pounds over 5 years.

I have heard some speculation that his friend he went missing with, Mark Seelman, may be GD but certain things (tattos, etc) don't match up. But I haven't heard any speculation that Douglas may be our Doe - correct me if I'm wrong.

What caught my eye was the wavy hair and transient lifestyle - not much to go on, i know. but he could have easily started following the Grateful Dead around, and not kept in touch with family. It seems like he did not get along with his family.

it doesn't mean anything, but he disappeared from rome, NY where the grateful dead once played woodstock. that was just something i noticed.

any thoughts?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/goodwin_douglas.html

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

BBM

Just to clarify, the Grateful Dead played at Woodstock in 1969 in Bethel, NY -- about 150 miles away from Rome, NY.

The way I see it, there are only really three scenarios regarding his disappearance and both of them lead me to believe that he is no longer alive.

1. Mark and his companion left the bar intoxicated and the car ran into a lake or river. It will most likely be found under water, similar to the way Eli Vanderpool's body was found in Frankfurt NY. Everyone was thinking he had been abducted, he had died the same night he disappeared and this is the most likely scenario here.

2. Louis Lent was busy killing kids all over upstate NY and liked young men. Remember when he confessed he said he had other bodies that he did not want found. Both of these men were very vulnerable; they may have met their doom with him. Not as probable as scenario #1

3. Drug related homicide; both may have been involved in dealing or selling or owed someone money.

I do not think he ran away; he had a family he loved and the other boy had a child on the way; never unlikely they ran away

BBM

Eli Vanderpool's remains were found on an island in the Susquehanna River near Sayre, PA. This is about 140 miles away from Frankfort, NY.

It is more than clear that he was kidnapped... no smoker would leave his cigarettes at home... with all the time that has passed, it is very difficult for him to still be alive...

rest in peace

• douglas_e._goodwin_1.jpg
  • douglas_e._goodwin_2.jpg
  • douglas_e._goodwin_3.jpg
Goodwin, circa 1990; Age-progression to an unknown age
  • Missing Since 06/07/1990
  • Missing From Rome, New York
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 01/30/1972 (51)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 160 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance​

Goodwin was last seen at DJ's Bar bar in the 6400 block of Martin Street in Rome, New York on June 7, 1990. He disappeared with a sixteen-year-old coworker, Mark Seelman. They may have been en route to Utica, New York that night. Neither of them have been heard from again.

Goodwin was living a transient lifestyle at the time of his disappearance. He left home due to problems with his parents and lived with his girlfriend and her mother in Utica for a few weeks, but shortly before his disappearance, they had an argument and Goodwin was supposed to move out.

He never collected his belongings and never contacted his girlfriend again. She was pregnant at the time of his disappearance and later gave birth to his son. According to his girlfriend, Goodwin had dropped out of high school and was enrolled in a graphic arts program with the Madison-Oneida Board of Cooperative Educational Services in 1990.

It's unclear what happened to the pair. Both cases remain unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• New York State Police
  • Whitesboro Division
  • 315-736-0121

Source Information​

Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 6, 2014; age-progression added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back