Identified! NY - Mount Vernon, WhtFem 51UFNY, 18-25, Left Near Junkyard, Feb'88 - Veronica Wiederhold

European maybe. south of the border with blonde hair and hazel eyes? I don't see that as a likely situation, except maybe Brazilian.

That's what I mean. Chile and Brazil have a lot of people with a sort of European/Hispanic look. Light hair and eyes with a hispanic complexion.

Welcome to WS crestedibis!

:welcome:

If it helps any, I think her post mortem photo reminds me quite a lot of the black and white photo on doenet of Deborah Lois Dean. Of course she isn't Dean, the eye color is all wrong even if the eyes slope at the same amounts... even down to what appears a similar degree of difference in slope between the two eyes. And Dean's nose seems thinner. But maybe that's more the look the doe would have had around the eyes and mouth? I think some of the Doe's apparent puffiness in the upper eyelid and upper lip wouldn't be evident while she was alive and well even when she had her eyes closed and face muscles relaxed. Her upper eyelid area would also just smooth out to being uniformly hooded and the eye deepset when she pulled that eyelid up.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/206dfmo.html

I could not find any matches at Namus, especially with the blonde hair and hazel eyes, which begs the question whether it was real blonde or dyed and if she was reported missing, whether they were listed as green or light brown.

the fact that she had no cavities or fillings and had reached at least the age of 18 would suggest she had a comfortable upbringing. the two weeks worth of hair growth under her arms suggests to me that she probably had a substance abuse problem which prevented her from taking care of basic hygiene at the end of her days.

New York in the 1980's was not the runaway mecca portrayed in the 1970's movie Taxi Driver, but she could have been a recent arrival to NY with no ties whatsoever to the area.

I thought that the hair under her arms might have been an indication that prior to being murdered, she was held somewhere against her will where she wasn't able to take care of herself 100%. If she had a substance abuse problem, wouldn't there have been signs of it at autopsy?

I wonder if she was from outside the US? Does anyone know if LE checked with the INS?

I'd been looking at the old recon for a long time, and saying to myself that I needed to re-do it. All it took was for this thread to get bumped up, and I decided to go ahead and start again from scratch.

62a9c17e-f304-46f6-92fb-54706d777c0a.jpg

This is much better, IMO.

"the two weeks worth of hair growth under her arms suggests to me that she probably had a substance abuse problem which prevented her from taking care of basic hygiene at the end of her days."

Umm...I'm female and have no substance abuse problems, but I haven't shaved my armpits for weeks. Not all women consider shaving their armpits a matter of "basic hygiene." You are less likely to shave your armpits if it's not summer and you're not wearing sleeveless tops, if you think that the idea that women MUST shave their armpits is old-fashioned, if you don't have a lover, if your armpit hair is sparse to begin with, or if you come from one of the numerous countries where unshaven women are common. Come to think of it, maybe the Mount Vernon Jane Doe was not American? That might explain the unibrow as well, and would be a plausible explanation why no one has been able to identify this lovely young girl. This case has haunted me for years, ever since I first saw the post mortem photos...

Thanks! She has a foreign look that I can't exactly pinpoint.

Out of curiosity (being from Mt. Vernon, NY), does anyone know what street or area she was found in?

Also, Mt. Vernon does have an extensive Brazilian population. Not sure how big it was in 1988 but there's been a significant amount of Brazilian immigrants for at least the past 10 years.

What about Amanda Fravel?

I know there's a great distance between where she disappeared (Nevada in 1986) and NY, but I don't think the other information is too far off.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2491dfnv.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fravel_amanda.html

*Would be nearly 22 years old in February 1988.
*Slightly above the UIDs height and weight, but she was described as having a petite build.
*Green eyes and used to bleach her hair blonde. Could fit with Jane Doe.
*Took excellent care of her teeth, which fits with the description of Jane Doe.
*Nothing points to that Amanda left voluntarily, which might explain the distance...
*She's smiling in all of her photos, and I'm not the best at pointing out discrepansies between the pictures of a missing person and reconstructions, but her nose shape look similar to some of the reconstructions, and she appears to have about the same space between her eyes and between her eye and her eyebrow as Jane Doe. Their eye shape look similar, too, to me at least.

I keep coming back to this thread, esp being that I'm from Mt. Vernon. I wonder if this woman was homeless, or a drug addict. Mt. Vernon is not a quiet town; we border the Bronx and have addicts, hookers, projects, a methadone clinic etc. Does anyone know where her body was found?

I keep coming back to this thread, esp being that I'm from Mt. Vernon. I wonder if this woman was homeless, or a drug addict. Mt. Vernon is not a quiet town; we border the Bronx and have addicts, hookers, projects, a methadone clinic etc. Does anyone know where her body was found?

I have looked all over and I can't seem to find the name of a street. Sorry :-(

Thanks, mtrooper. I couldn't find it anywhere online either. I hesitate to call the MVPD because they were barely helpful when I called regarding a year-old case (friend of the family, suspected homicide). I still know a cop in MV, if I run into him I'll see if he knows anything more.

This case was entered on Namus on May 3, 2012.

It is case# 10229. A post mortem photo was uploaded on May 15th, 2012 (warning graphic photo):

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10229

1.Her age is now extended to 18-30 years.
2.Her hair is now listed as light brown and long and straight.
3.The post mortem interval is listed as 6 hours.
4. The address found has been revealed: 10 Carleton Ave, Mount Vernon, 10550.
5. Ears are pierced, but no earrings
6.Recent shaving of pubic hair.
7. Reddish pink fingernail polish

The one thing that made me think she would be readily identified is by her prominent mole located near her right clavicle bone. Or at least I think it is a mole. Perhaps it is an abrasion. Do you all think it is a mole?

The color photo makes a huge difference in getting a sense of how she looked. Her eyes didn't have such a droopy look as I gathered from the B&W photo.

I did another revision. I straightened her eyes and gave her bigger eyelashes. I also softened her jawline. Much better, IMO.

62a9c17e-f304-46f6-92fb-54706d777c0a.jpg

I also replaced all previous versions posted earlier in this thread.

Check out the address in street view. Creepy, isolated, industrial. Right now the business there is Cora Laboratories, something to do with the dental industry.

I know this was mentioned earlier, but I agree that she has a South American look to her...more specifically Argentina. I have an friend from Argentina who has similar features....:twocents:

Isn't it a little strange that her pubic hair was shaved but it says she had about 2 weeks worth of underarm hair?

Carleton Place does look very industrial on Google maps. Mt. Vernon is only 4 sq. miles, I lived there for 20 years, and never even heard of the street. It's also far away from the well known drug and prostitute hot spots in town. The area where she was found is, however, very close to the Bronx and Pelham borders. Does anyone know where we got the address from?

She definitely has a S. American look to me as well. I had a roommate from Chile and there is a resemblance in the features.

Here's the google map of where she was found:

10 Carleton Ave mount vernon NY map - Google Maps

It looks like an industrial part of town, and it looks like her body was dumped adjacent to a junkyard.

The location is also only a few blocks from the southbound offramp of the Hutchinson Parkway. So it looks like the perp probably came off the parkway into an industrial part of town to dump the body unnoticed.

There is also a northbound offramp adjacent to the Pelham HS. A couple of right turns will take you under the parkway and into that neighborhood. So you can't really presume that they came either from north or south of that location.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back