NY - Parents May Face Jail Over Kid's Backyard Noise

About the "Posh" neighborhood ..... Is there any other kind on Long Island?

As for the neighbor who is a plummer??? In NY? The guy probably makes 60$ per hour.

I cannot understand why these people are all complaining.
I can easily see several neighbors conspiring.

Are these the only children in the neighborhood? Did the parents do something to anger the neighbors previous to this?

I have been thinking about this and these girls are both school aged so I imagine they are at school for the majority of the time until probably this week when school up there let out for summer.
It was cold in NY until about a month or so ago so no one was using a swimming pool. I find it odd in that short amount of time that these girls could be that obtrusive to the peace and quiet of this neighborhood.

Interesting....Six neighbors are all in cahoots. How many neighbors would it take before you would take a complaint about noise at your home seriously?? :waitasec:

I just come from a different point of view where if ONE neighbor complained to me, I would make an effort to do something about it.

I do understand that children need to play. However, their own father said that they were known to get rather rambunctious...And, that's their own father admitting that...

More neighborhoods are incorporating very strict rules about nuisance noise and the right to peaceful enjoyment of one's property into their bylaws. Unfortunately, that's because people are more and more inconsiderate. It's really sad.

Heck, I can see on this thread that many people think that it is perfectly fine; and everyone should just accept it.

What group of kids DON'T get rambuctious? I would seriously worry about a child who never gets "rambuctious"---that's what childhood is all about, being able to let go, let loose, and be the children that they are.

You're right about neighborhoods incorporating rules regarding "nuisance noise", but never before have I heard children playing being labeled the nuisance--that's why this story has made headlines, because it's so bizarre that people would actually complain about kids playing. And in this case in particular, the "nuisance" statute did not, and never did, apply to children playing.

I think that when people move into a family neighborhood with kids, that they need to realize that kids play and that they are going to hear those kids playing. It's a sad day when kids can't play in their own backyard w/o being chastized and labeled inconsiderate. I'm so glad I live in a neighborhood filled with young families who all have kids.

Here are some demographics on Bayville (the small town where these very loud girls live.)

Median income: 82,836.

The median age for residents in Bayville, NY is 39.6 (this is older than average age in the U.S.).

"Families (non-single residences) represent 74.3% of the population, giving Bayville a higher than average concentration of families."

http://www.muninetguide.com/states/new_york/municipality/Bayville.php

Is it posh? Are these six neighbors -- by the way, that would be almost all homes within earshot -- likely to be elderly child-haters? What reason would these people have to conspire to single out these girls if the girls' playful shrieks were no more piercing than other children's? Sometimes when circumstances are unbearable, one must stand up for oneself.

Seems like a nice, normal, middle-class, dog- and children-loving neighborhood pushed to the limit of its tolerance by one inconsiderate family.

And the Jail-time punishment that seemed so ridiculous? That would have been in lieu of a $250 fine, which seems reasonable. (Most of the news stories left out the fine option.)

Here are some demographics on Bayville (the small town where these very loud girls live.)

The median age for residents in Bayville, NY is 39.6 (this is older than average age in the U.S.).

"Families (non-single residences) represent 74.3% of the population, giving Bayville a higher than average concentration of families."

Is it posh? Are these six neighbors -- by the way, that would be almost all homes within earshot -- likely to be elderly child-haters? What reason would these people have to conspire to single out these girls if the girls' playful shrieks were no more piercing than other children's? Sometimes when circumstances are unbearable, one must stand up for oneself.

Seems like a nice, normal, middle-class, dog- and children-loving neighborhood pushed to the limit of its tolerance by one inconsiderate family.

And the Jail-time punishment that seemed so ridiculous? That would have been in lieu of a $250 fine, which seems reasonable. (Most of the news stories left out the fine option.)
actually all the neighbors live on the street behind the family. none of the complaints are from people on the same road.

actually all the neighbors live on the street behind the family. none of the complaints are from people on the same road.

The people behind them would be closer to their backyard pool and the noise would be unmuffled by the structure of their house. Just think that it carries so loudy to 6 houses back there.

The people behind them would be closer to their backyard pool and the noise would be unmuffled by the structure of their house. Just think that it carries so loudy to 6 houses back there.

IMO, that's the price you pay for living in a family neighborhood. I'd be willing to bet that some of these neighbors are of the old "children should be seen and not heard" school of thought.

I'm glad that this was dismissed. Maybe the neighbors could redirect their energy into something worthwhile.

I wish I could find another link to the tape of these children for those of you who think - without even viewing or hearing the video - that the noise the 6 year old makes for 9 - 12 hours a day is 'just playing like kids do.' One of the neighbors spents thousands of dollars trying to build a sound baffle between his yard and theirs. That's how bad it got.

I wish I could find another link to the tape of these children for those of you who think - without even viewing or hearing the video - that the noise the 6 year old makes for 9 - 12 hours a day is 'just playing like kids do.' One of the neighbors spents thousands of dollars trying to build a sound baffle between his yard and theirs. That's how bad it got.

Crow,

I listened to the audio on Yahoo when you said it was up there earlier in the thread and honestly, I didn't find it particularly terrible. It sounded like normal kids play to me - loud and happy and slightly insane.

Would I want to listen to it 9 -12 hours a day in close quarters? I don't know, but it wasn't out of the norm, IMHO. Sound carries across pools and these houses are very close together - that's part of the porblem. But I didn't find the sounds the girls were making abnormal, in and of themselves.

I hope the parents will work with the disturbed neighbors to help keep the peace. They have said they will and I have no reason not to believe them.

I did hear the tape, and it just sounded like regular kid play to me. Kid play that I hear in my neighborhood, my friends neighborhoods, at Little League games when all the siblings of the players get together, on the school playground.....it's just kids.

Interesting thought....I wonder if these neighbors lived close to a school and got irritated at hearing the kids play at recess, I wonder if they would try to abolish recess?? My guess is....probably.

I did hear the tape, and it just sounded like regular kid play to me. Kid play that I hear in my neighborhood, my friends neighborhoods, at Little League games when all the siblings of the players get together, on the school playground.....it's just kids.

Interesting thought....I wonder if these neighbors lived close to a school and got irritated at hearing the kids play at recess, I wonder if they would try to abolish recess?? My guess is....probably.

Normal kid play to me too....

I think the key facts here are the pool and closeness of homes in that neighborhood.

My best friend's house backs up to a house with a pool - not as close as these houses, though - and she can literally hear entire conversations coming across the way when everyone is out there playing or partying.

Sound carries like that over water.

ETA: Does anyone know what measures the six neighbors took to resolve the problem before getting all legal?

Normal kid play to me too....

I think the key facts here are the pool and closeness of homes in that neighborhood.

My best friend's house backs up to a house with a pool - not as close as these houses, though - and she can literally hear entire conversations coming across the way when everyone is out there playing or partying.

Sound carries like that over water.

ETA: Does anyone know what measures the six neighbors took to resolve the problem before getting all legal?
Well, we know one guy went to the trouble of putting in a sound wall, a fountain and foliage to block the noise before getting legal.
This guy tried to take the burden himself.
I just don't believe these parents gave a hoot. If they did, they would have come up with a solution, like the neighbor tried to.

Oh great post!
Personally, my GUESS is that this is a classic case of entitled kids that do not ever do anything wrong.

About the "Posh" neighborhood ..... Is there any other kind on Long Island?

As for the neighbor who is a plummer??? In NY? The guy probably makes 60$ per hour.

I cannot understand why these people are all complaining.
I can easily see several neighbors conspiring.

Are these the only children in the neighborhood? Did the parents do something to anger the neighbors previous to this?

I have been thinking about this and these girls are both school aged so I imagine they are at school for the majority of the time until probably this week when school up there let out for summer.
It was cold in NY until about a month or so ago so no one was using a swimming pool. I find it odd in that short amount of time that these girls could be that obtrusive to the peace and quiet of this neighborhood.

I live on Long Island. Not every area is "POSH". LOL.
Bayville is a middle to upper middle class neighborhood.

You are right about the weather. It just got warm enough to swim the last 2 weekends and school ended last Fri.

Well, we know one guy went to the trouble of putting in a sound wall, a fountain and foliage to block the noise before getting legal.
This guy tried to take the burden himself.
I just don't believe these parents gave a hoot. If they did, they would have come up with a solution, like the neighbor tried to.

Yes,

I know that, but did anyone ever try to talk to the parents - that's what I was getting at. Or was the first time the parents were aware of the issue the summons?

If the neighbors talked to the parents and the parents did not respond in an effort to help the situation, I don't think that's cool.

Yes,

I know that, but did anyone ever try to talk to the parents - that's what I was getting at. Or was the first time the parents were aware of the issue the summons?

If the neighbors talked to the parents and the parents did not respond in an effort to help the situation, I don't think that's cool.
Hi SCM. I truly do know what you mean.
We don't really know who the bad guy(s) is/are in this case.
I agree with you in that if this was discussed with the parents and they did nothing, then the parents are wienies. If the neighbors bypassed parents and went straight to the law, that was pretty chicken chit.
Common sense tells me the neighbors went to the parents and they didn't do a thing. I am guessing court was the last resort.
But again ,there isn't much common sensical about this whole story so who knows? lol!
But I also think that a lot of assumptions are made based on the possible wealth of the neighborhood and I just think that is nonsense.

ETA: from the original article:
>>This is not something that started yesterday. They have been asked politely, but this is an ongoing issue far beyond children just playing in the pool."<<

ETA: from the original article:
>>This is not something that started yesterday. They have been asked politely, but this is an ongoing issue far beyond children just playing in the pool."<<

From another article: "The family has been receiving complaints about the noise for three years."

http://www..net/18031

I would say the summons was a last resort.

From another article: "The family has been receiving complaints about the noise for three years."

http://www..net/18031

I would say the summons was a last resort.
That's what I would have guessed.

Interesting....Six neighbors are all in cahoots. How many neighbors would it take before you would take a complaint about noise at your home seriously?? :waitasec:

I just come from a different point of view where if ONE neighbor complained to me, I would make an effort to do something about it.

I do understand that children need to play. However, their own father said that they were known to get rather rambunctious...And, that's their own father admitting that...

More neighborhoods are incorporating very strict rules about nuisance noise and the right to peaceful enjoyment of one's property into their bylaws. Unfortunately, that's because people are more and more inconsiderate. It's really sad.

Heck, I can see on this thread that many people think that it is perfectly fine; and everyone should just accept it.
I think the additional laws are because people are more and more intolerant - of noise, of inconvenience, of normal life. They figure they bought a house, it's their castle - and that includes the ability to control everything anywhere around that place that bugs them.

Six neighbors on one side - how many on the other - at least one says there is no problem? Not in cahoots - not some slimy scheme to get some revenge - just one person who has a problem, talks about it with his/her friends, they're sympathetic to her venting, notice the kids more (since they're listening for them), and try to support their friend. If never mentioned, they might not have noticed anything about the kids. It says they're all on the other street, backing up to this house, none of them on the same street - which means both next door neighbors - the closest of all to the backyard - are not complaining.

That's what I would have guessed.

I agree that since the parents have been talked too and not responded in some definite fashion, that's a poor (and very un-neighborly) decision on their part. Kids can have a lot of fun and learn boundaries and respect at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. The parents could have used this issue to teach this lesson to their kids.

Fun for the kids is screaming in the pool. Fun for the neighbors is having some peace in their back yards. So both sets of property owners have needs and should come to a fair commonground regarding "reasonable".

I think the additional laws are because people are more and more intolerant - of noise, of inconvenience, of normal life. They figure they bought a house, it's their castle - and that includes the ability to control everything anywhere around that place that bugs them.

Six neighbors on one side - how many on the other - at least one says there is no problem? Not in cahoots - not some slimy scheme to get some revenge - just one person who has a problem, talks about it with his/her friends, they're sympathetic to her venting, notice the kids more (since they're listening for them), and try to support their friend. If never mentioned, they might not have noticed anything about the kids. It says they're all on the other street, backing up to this house, none of them on the same street - which means both next door neighbors - the closest of all to the backyard - are not complaining.

While this is true, the next door neighbors DON'T get the full effect of the noise carrying across the pool's waters into the other neighbors' back yards. It makes sense to me that those behind the pool would feel the fullest negative effects of the screaming and playing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back