NY NY - Possible serial killer in Niagara Falls, 2015

Body parts of a missing mother were found Sunday at an upstate New York park in Niagara Falls, police said.

The remains of homicide victim Loretta Gates, 30, were in a bag found floating in a lake at Hyde Park, Capt. William Thomson of the Niagara Falls Police Department said. Authorities have not said how she was killed.

The discovery comes two days after state police said a headless torso found near the base of Niagara Falls, the famous waterfalls, was the body of the missing mother.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2...-found-park/WQoOoqc7K7w7xQjuQKRNjK/story.html

**I am moving this thread to crimes in the news for more case discussion**

Niagara Falls Police and State Police were called to Duck Island in Hyde Park on Sunday where they found a human hand.

Niagara Falls Superintendent John Chella confirmed the discovery was Loretta Gate's hand, verified through finger print testing. A citizen found her hand around 1 p.m. on Sunday after spotting a bag floating in the lake and pulling it to shore.

Shortly after, State Police and Niagara Falls Police arrived at scene and found more of Gate's remains. Police also confirmed they had found two more of Gate's body parts in the Niagara River, including her other hand.
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/lorettas-hand-found-in-niagara-river

another snip:

Police said they want everyone to know there is not a serial killer in the neighborhood. They said they're doing everything they can to investigate to make sure everyone is safe and to close this case.

More tragic evidence has been discovered in the murder of a young mother in Niagara Falls. A father is now begging the community to come forward, if they know anything about the gruesome crime.

“If they remember anything, a phone number, a person who last saw Loretta, that said they saw her come forward. Let us know. Let the police know,” said Arthur Gates, the father of Loretta Gates.

The heartbreak continues for a father and Niagara Falls family after two neighbors made a gruesome discovery on Duck Island Sunday. They found a trash bag with a head and a hand inside.
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/neighbors-find-body-parts-in-bag

I haven't seen any mention of that ScotsPaddy, but links upstream say she was seen leaving the store in the "early morning hours".... so it she quick walks across the street to buy something at 11pm why is she there that long? Was she meeting someone there?

(eta: she also could have went to the store on the tail end of the eleven o'clock hour which would have been a quick trip I suppose)

Wonder who this fiance is? She puts on her FB on Aug 20 she's getting married, then she is murdered just days later?

too sad,
:(
fran

Here's a link to a google map of the area at Hyde Park. I believe Duck Island is towards the middle of this long lake and is connected by a footpath to Robbins Drive, which runs along the eastern edge of the lake.

http://goo.gl/maps/SQyMs

Its not very far from where she was last seen. Does anyone know where she/her mother live?

ETA: This Duck Island and Hyde Park look like fairly popular areas where people like to go to enjoy the nice weather. If her torso was found in the Niagara River last month, whoever killed her must have been holding on to her other remains until placing them in Hyde Park yesterday or Saturday evening. The park looks too well traveled for her remains to have been unnoticed in the lake and on the park pathway for very long.

Why would the perp do that, unless they were seeking media attention? This sounds more like a sick killer than, say, an angry boyfriend, drug dealer or street .

The "staged" timing of leaving her remains in public places is some game the killer is playing.

Betty, according to media articles I linked up stream they are right across from the store (also on the map I posted) in apartments.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...TiTGEoNeVgaFFQw&oq=rain&t=h&gl=us&mra=ls&z=14

sorry for another map but I added rainbow bridge (torso found)
whirlpool rapids (arm and another body part found)
hyde park lake (head and hand found in bag near duck island)
and
bridgeway mart (last seen.. near apartment she lived in with her mother. She had just recently moved in)

nursebeeme, thanks very much for updating us on this case. The maps help too. I am deeply troubled by the thought that it doesn't appear that they have any leads in this case. What kind of person would do this to another human being? How do we know he (or she, if we don't want to pick on the guys) won't do it again?

My thoughts are with Loretta's family (especially her kids) and friends. I love their honesty about her problems. She's just one of us though. She deserved much better. I am also sorry for the women in Niagara Falls who must be on edge right now. Let's catch this monster! Let these women sleep comfortably and safely tonight.

Niagara Falls, like most border towns, isn't exactly 'upscale'. Of course there are lovely areas and many lovely people. However there is a rough element as well. When I was an older teen, (just a few years ago ;) ), growing up in the suburbs of Toronto, the big 'roadtrip' was to cross the border into Niagara Falls NY. I can't for the life of me recall why. It had something to do with cheap beer and Buffalo-style chicken wings. I'm sure the cost of the cheap beer was more than negated by the cost of driving there!

Wouldn't the store have surveillance video? Was someone stalking her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back