NY - Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, murdered, 1993-94, John Biltroff *GUILTY* - #2

Yes, the sketch is pretty darn close. Why was law enforcement so quick to not connect him to Gilgo and manorville?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What is bittrolf background Like?

LE *really* bungled this case over the years. I have to say, even though I think it's a pretty sure bet he did it based on the DNA evidence, there certainly is some degree of reasonable doubt, and I understand why there were some holdouts at first. It really strains logic to think that whoever killed these women just happened to do so right after Billtroff engaged their services. But it's not *completely* impossible. The amount of missing and incorrect evidence is kinda unbelievable.

(sorry for all the adjectives but wow this was a screwed up cold case)

Yes, the sketch is pretty darn close. Why was law enforcement so quick to not connect him to Gilgo and manorville?

We have no way of knowing whats on the minds of LE. They arent going to go public with that. Except in the case of Sandra Costilla.

Youtube John Bittrolff arraigned on killing two women twenty years ago.
Its obvious Sandra Costilla was killed by the same person.
The victims were found naked. And yet one article of clothing were taken from each victim. Where were the rest of their clothes found?

"The first purchase was made in 1641 and the price paid was land was thirty needles, six hatchets, six shovels, six coats, six bottles, thirty eel spears, ten fathoms of wampum and then knives. It is stated in the History of the original Township of Huntington that the Indians were cheated by the whites. It’s because of this that many feel that the land was cursed."

http://www.lipri.org/project/the-legend-of-mt-misery/

The same goes for Massapequa with the John Underhill Massacre of the 1640's. It's strange to me that Melissa lived on Underhill Ave in the Bronx, only to be lured to Massapequa before her death. And Bittrolff grew up up the road from the Poospatuck reservation, one of the only remnants of a lost civilization remaining on LI.
http://longisland.news12.com/featur...tifacts-found-under-lake-massapequa-1.6525498
I believe this can be at the root of the murders. Curses are usually cast with a lot of strong emotion as a defense of being deceived.

My heart does go out to john bitrolffs wife and children because they are victims too.

Just stumbled on this case seemingly a tangent of the lisk case. Most people will have some suspicion that this person is the lisk, even though he has been excluded.

At trial, despite 'dna evidence' of a very high quality, the jury deadlocked

But prosecutors say DNA in this case is the witness to the truth ...

“It happens,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota. “We don’t know everything of the dark side of people’s lives, but again, we present our evidence and we’ll leave it up to the jury.” ...

Bittrolff turned down a plea deal. ...

Despite obvious similarities, prosecutors have said there is no evidence linking Bittrolff with the still unsolved Gilgo Beach killings involving sex workers.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/03/john-bittrolff-prostitute-murders/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bittrolff

https://zerodinh.wordpress.com/tag/joseph-brewer/

It looks, honestly, like a group of police officers diligently searched through old cases, then searched for a suspect they could use to deflect suspicions in some people's minds about lisk being a cop...

The police had access to the evidence at every stage, they had motive to solve this cold case even in a crooked way, I hope somebody researches this case thoroughly.

add

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...s-withheld-evidence-in-murder-case-1.12866231

Less than two weeks before a Manorville carpenter goes on trial, charged with strangling and bludgeoning two women to death more than 20 years ago, his attorney said prosecutors have belatedly turned over evidence identifying 75 other suspects.
The list of other possible killers includes two Suffolk police officers and the then-husband of one of the victims, defense attorney William Keahon told state Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro in Riverhead Wednesday.

Who were the two Suffolk police officers who were considered suspects in those murders?

-

Worth adding...

Such an old case with such questionnable evidence considering the victims were prostitutes, the police would have been expected to expend some resources trying to get updated evidence, e.g. get him to make some connection to the case, but they didn't.

The way some of the police refered to the evidence too has a sort of tone that they are trying to defend something against facts, rather than using the truth.

Suffolk officer testifies about destruction of evidence in Bittrolff case

The Suffolk County Police Department destroyed evidence in two murders because of a paperwork error, an officer testified Wednesday at the trial of the man charged in both cases.
The department also destroyed evidence that might have linked one of its sergeants to the cases because it wasn’t identified as homicide evidence, said the officer, Linda Passarella, who worked for more than 13 years...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...tion-of-evidence-in-bittrolff-case-1.13662165

But state Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro prevented John Bittrolff’s defense team from presenting evidence implicating any of the other 146 men investigated over the years.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...t-cleared-suspects-at-murder-trial-1.13725849

Young John wouldn't have had a clue about the emerging science of DNA in 93-94 although it had been used to link cases and identify perps in the years leading up to that time. It wasn't until a year or so later when oj killed those two that most of the public was made aware of the potential of this technology in forensic investigations. The third girl who was killed and disposed of in very similar manor out east on LI was probably one of his also. Johns DNA wasn't found on that murdered girl but if it was even that wouldn't be enough for some. The jury did there job in this case and imo came to the right conclusion.

He would have a lot of explaining to do if his dna was found on one murdered girl no matter what she did to earn money, for me that wouldn't be a coincidence. The second match leaves no doubt of his involvement.

Young John wouldn't have had a clue about the emerging science of DNA in 93-94 although it had been used to link cases and identify perps in the years leading up to that time. It wasn't until a year or so later when oj killed those two that most of the public was made aware of the potential of this technology in forensic investigations. The third girl who was killed and disposed of in very similar manor out east on LI was probably one of his also. Johns DNA wasn't found on that murdered girl but if it was even that wouldn't be enough for some. The jury did there job in this case and imo came to the right conclusion. He would have a lot of explaining to do if his dna was found on one murdered girl no matter what she did to earn money, for me that wouldn't be a coincidence. The second match leaves no doubt of his involvement.

1) Police, but especially in that region, have fabricated cases with far less motive.

2) The guy is a carpenter. Probably the least likely of any profression to commit a crime like that. He was accused by police officers, the occupation with the highest percentage of violent sex offenders of any profession.

3) On the other side, his brother was charged with domestic violence of some sort, so maybe he was raised a certain way, and he was charged with assault of some kind but who knows the details.

4) I honestly do not trust the police with evidence in that case. They had too much motive to fabricate the case and the timing is amazing, just as a corruption probe in that region gets ready to heat up. Did that guy have sex with those two girls? I doubt it. It's possible but unlikely. Did the police start feeling the heat from scrutiny of several similar cases and decide to throw some red herrings to distract the hounds? It looks likely.

How is it evidence emerges pointing to cops being the killer and suddenly you have http://www.billwarnerpi.com/2017/01/is-sex-offender-somorie-moses-of.html and Bittrolff? A little too coincidental but who knows.

2) The guy is a carpenter. Probably the least likely of any profression to commit a crime like that. He was accused by police officers, the occupation with the highest percentage of violent sex offenders of any profession.

Got a cite on this? From following cases here, it appears that next to truck drivers carpenters/handymen/construction workers are overrepresented in serial killer cases. Whole lotta reasons for that probably- the freelance nature of the work, the varied hours contractors work, the fact that some people with anti-social tendencies are going to do a lot better in a career where they are lone wolfs, for repeat offenders it's tough getting a job in an office etc. if you've got an extensive record etc. etc.

I'm not saying that sex offenders aren't also well over-represented in police forces (I believe they are, and most get away with *and* it's underreported because of this) or abusers in general, because careers that by definition result in positions of extreme authority over people are going to attract sociopaths and bullies more than, say, data entry would. But I don't think your average serial killer is more likely to be a cop than a carpenter.

That said, the SCPD is obviously corrupt and employs and promotes accused sexual abusers. Which is why there was a hung jury. But in this case I think they came to the right verdict in the end. (For reasons I am not going to rehash again since I stated why I believe this before in this thread a few pages back.)

Got a cite on this? From following cases here, it appears that next to truck drivers carpenters/handymen/construction workers are overrepresented in serial killer cases. Whole lotta reasons for that probably- the freelance nature of the work, the varied hours contractors work, the fact that some people with anti-social tendencies are going to do a lot better in a career where they are lone wolfs, for repeat offenders it's tough getting a job in an office etc. if you've got an extensive record etc. etc.

I'm not saying that sex offenders aren't also well over-represented in police forces (I believe they are, and most get away with *and* it's underreported because of this) or abusers in general, because careers that by definition result in positions of extreme authority over people are going to attract sociopaths and bullies more than, say, data entry would. But I don't think your average serial killer is more likely to be a cop than a carpenter.

That said, the SCPD is obviously corrupt and employs and promotes accused sexual abusers. Which is why there was a hung jury. But in this case I think they came to the right verdict in the end. (For reasons I am not going to rehash again since I stated why I believe this before in this thread a few pages back.)

As for carpenters was just going by the fact that I have known a bunch of them and they are, as a group, not the type that would be serial killers, but 'handyman' is a different thing. People who are specifically interested in carpentry strike me as generally inoffensive, a 'handyman', 'jack of all trades master of none' is somebody who can operate a hammer.

As for cops, I think abundant evidence that 1) that profession does attract men who like to attack women 2) In this case specifically the accusers i.e., the cops seem to have more motive to have fudged evidence then the accused would have had to commit the crime. What would have been his motive in killing the women? 3) Worth adding, as strong as "dna evidence" might be, in other words as strong as that science is, it is no stronger in a specific case than its origin in the case. If it were certain that his dna was on the bodies it would be good evidence. However police generally, and police in that area specifically, do have a history of monkeying with evidence to cover themselves. Put another way, if tomorrow the headline were "Suffolk police shown to have falsified dna evidence in Bittrolff case" there would not really be much surprise. It would not be a banner headline, people would say "should have anticipated that".

... But in this case I think they came to the right verdict in the end. (For reasons I am not going to rehash again since I stated why I believe this before in this thread a few pages back.)

I looked for that, went to your profile and found only this comment of yours in this thread, but I will go through this thread and look for your summary.

From just reading the first part of the thread I see a comment that Bittrolff's attourney is a former homicide detective, a very high priced, well connected lawyer? Very possibly he might have been wiser to hire a cut rate lawyer who was not so connected. Or did somebody else provide that lawyer for him?

From back a couple pages-

It's possible that this ends in a hung jury, I agree.

The screw-ups in this case raise a lot of reasonable doubt *if* the jurors don't have 100% faith in the DNA evidence (which IMO is pretty solid based on testimony that the sperm was determined to have been left within 30 minutes of the women's deaths- the only way to wiggle out of that is to assert that the DNA evidence was corrupted or the killer was following Bittrolff around: neither of these scenarios is remotely plausible)

"But Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney Robert Biancavilla said that while more than 50 suspects were tested, Mr. Bittrolff was the only one whose DNA matched what was found at both crime scenes. The bodies of both victims were discovered in wooded areas months apart more than 20 years ago. Mr. Biancavilla said a forensics expert testified that both women had sex within a half hour of dying."

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesre...n-accused-of-cold-case-killings-goes-to-jury/

"Mr. Biancavilla said both police officers were eliminated as suspects through DNA. He acknowledged that evidence in both cases were mistakenly destroyed and said it was due to a labeling error."

So I guess that's the answer as to whether DNA for either officer was tested.

What we don't have an answer for (but we all know what it is anyway) is why Officer Murphy was not only allowed to remain on the force but was promoted when he'd been accused by multiple prostitutes of rape.

Sounds like that's just been perks of the job for years now on LI.

Believe me, I agree that there's a long and disgusting history of LE fabricating evidence and we see new cases where this is so all the time.

There was reasonable doubt for sure in my mind until the evidence of Bittrof's DNA being on both women (via sperm samples) and the testimony that each of the women had sex shortly before dying. I realize there can be lab contamination of DNA, and I believe DNA can be falsified, but the chain of events prior to Bittrolf's arrest doesn't lend itself to him being framed for some reason. Why would he be framed now? Why would his sperm have been collected as entered for both of these cases at some point when he was never on anyone's radar? It wasn't like he was already one of many POI and the cops framed him to make the case go away. I've tried to make the defense of a frame job/planting DNA/falsifying results fit and just can't find a way to make that work in this case. I believe that Bittrolf is a serial killer and was responsible for these two women's deaths as well as the third death he wasn't charged with (due to lack of DNA/evidence). I think the case was solved not due to hard work on the part of investigators (they screwed this up from the beginning as documented by the evidence that came up in the trial) but based on an unexpected DNA database match. In the end they lucked out, and I think if there had been a push for them to frame JB they would have done it in a way that could have made him look like the most likely suspect for LISK as well.

From back a couple pages-

Believe me, I agree that there's a long and disgusting history of LE fabricating evidence and we see new cases where this is so all the time.

There was reasonable doubt for sure in my mind until the evidence of Bittrof's DNA being on both women (via sperm samples) and the testimony that each of the women had sex shortly before dying. I realize there can be lab contamination of DNA, and I believe DNA can be falsified, but the chain of events prior to Bittrolf's arrest doesn't lend itself to him being framed for some reason. Why would he be framed now? Why would his sperm have been collected as entered for both of these cases at some point when he was never on anyone's radar? It wasn't like he was already one of many POI and the cops framed him to make the case go away. I've tried to make the defense of a frame job/planting DNA/falsifying results fit and just can't find a way to make that work in this case. I believe that Bittrolf is a serial killer and was responsible for these two women's deaths as well as the third death he wasn't charged with (due to lack of DNA/evidence). I think the case was solved not due to hard work on the part of investigators (they screwed this up from the beginning as documented by the evidence that came up in the trial) but based on an unexpected DNA database match. In the end they lucked out, and I think if there had been a push for them to frame JB they would have done it in a way that could have made him look like the most likely suspect for LISK as well.

Thanks for posting that again, for some reason it did not show up when I tried to search your profile for previous posts on this thread.

-

1) Sorry to be graphic, but the evidence here seems to be that the killer knew that the women were prostitutes. The police are asking people to believe that the accused knowingly had "unprotected" sex with at least two prolific prostitutes. That by itself is a red flag. The accused probably has some awareness of diseases, and if he has the habit of having "unprotected" sex with prostitutes there would most likely be additional evidence that could be found. In this case hopefully if he is innocent that avenue might appear in some future defense.

2) As for his sperm supposedly being in the bodies of these two people, I'm sorry but honestly I do not trust the police to have provided truthful information on that account. I would need to see some unfalsifiable proof that his genetic profile was documented on whatever samples at the time of the initial dna tests. Am I saying that I think it is likely the police are lying? Yes.

3) Your question "Why would he be framed now?"... There has been a pretty substantial shift in focus regarding the killings on Long Island that seem to be moving toward a perception that the killer might have some involvement with law enforcement. If you look at the reaction to Bittrolff's arrest and conviction, it has led to a considerable easing of focus on law enforcement as the most likely killer. The specific timing of "framing" him could be ascribed to that alone, but there is an even bigger motive. There is little doubt that some "Long Island corruption" news is in the works. I've watched a few similar situations in other places over the years and it is still in the early stages there. The people who feel most threatened by this upcoming publicity had and have a strong motive to deflect suspicions that the killer was a cop.

4) As for the mechanics of "framing" him, it would be very simple. Those specific murders might have been chosen because they allowed the widest possible number of suspects and there had never been a prime suspect. Once those specific murders were chosen, the person arranging the set up would simply look at arrests from that time period that involved any sort of violence, in this case an assault, and monitor the news for a hook to hang the "frame" on. They could have had hundreds of potential patsies. One day Bittrollf's brother gets charged with beating his wife or whatever they review the context, make a final examination of the suspect, go over the case files and purge anything that doesn't fit.

Just speculation but it fits better for me than the official version, unless somebody can give some weight to the dna evidence beyond "a bunch of cops and their buddies say so".

One piece of information I'm interested in is whether, and to what extent, Bittrolff's lawyer established the authenticity, e.g. continuity of the dna evidence at trial. The lawyer did say something like "sex does not equal murder" in other words "my client did have sex with those two prostitutes right before they were killed", and I'm wondering whether Bittrolff has admitted that? Or is the lawyer trying to support the dna evidence despite his client? If somebody can get the trial transcript, and/or answer the first question in this paragraph I'll bounty it with at least half a litecoin.

Another interesting link that comes up periodically is longislandserialkiller.com

The domain was registered, had an active website https://web.archive.org/web/20120101000000*/http://longislandserialkiller.com/ for example https://web.archive.org/web/20130307022422/http://longislandserialkiller.com/ and https://web.archive.org/web/20120314083456/http://longislandserialkiller.com/ but was then dropped with the last statement being
"LongIslandSerialKiller.com

Due to the lack of sensitivity and the amount of people that this website has offended it is being disabled. This website was started to help bring more attention to case and help catch the Long Island Serial Killer but it obviously has not. We who created this website do not feel safe running it anymore due to the amount of emails and negative responses it has received.
We sincerely apologize. "

Strangely, after being dropped, the domain was reregistered and now redirects to http://www.longisland.com/long-island-serial-killer.html ~add~ where it has quite a different tone

Also, another side note for anybody interested in psychology. You look at the link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/10/video-abduction-assault-lirr_n_1336658.html and the video https://youtu.be/q7VtUsNxt8g and ask yourself how did that woman then contact police to say that she was fine and no problem? If you look at the man's posture and hands at 0.45 seconds, most people would alert and say "not going to go peacefully", but the woman, and perhaps the victims instead say what?

edit to add

After reading "After spending more than a decade with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office and being named Chief of the Homicide Division he left the office in 1985 and founded his own defense firm", it seems prudent and reasonable to assume that the lawyer hired to defend Bittrolff might have some personal ties to one side of the case that might conflict with the interests of his client. In most cases he could be trusted to lean in his client's direction, but because this case touches on other cases, even on the credibility of the police department itself...

Some other questions if somebody who followed the trial knows.

1) Was Bittrolff's position ever that he did have sex with either or any victim? He seems to say here http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...nts-admissible-at-trial-judge-says-1.11689169

“Have you ever used the services of a prostitute?” Leser asked Bittrolff.
“No, never,” he responded evenly.
Leser showed Bittrolff photos of Tangredi and crime-scene images of her dead body, found in East Patchogue.
“I don’t even recognize this girl,” Bittrolff said. When Leser showed him photos of McNamee, whose body was found in Manorville, he said, “I have no idea who this is.”
But Bittrolff seemed perturbed when Leser told him semen in the bodies belonged to him.
“To me? Really?” he said. “It surprises me, yes, because it’s not me.”

which makes it odd that his lawyer would say

"Having sex does not mean killing," Tilis and co-counsel Richard Young Sr. wrote in opposition papers to the request for a DNA sample.

2) He seems to have switched from an out of the loop local lawyer to a high priced legal team with extensive connections to the local establishment. Who paid for that lawyer?

3) Has the videotaped interview ever been made public? Or are police preventing its release? Have there been any public interviews with him, any media attempts to interview him, or is there some kind of restriction placed on interviewing him for whatever reason?

There are so many things about this case that do not look right.

-

add

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ling-women-in-police-interrogation-1.13751360

A Manorville carpenter firmly and evenly denied killing two women more than 20 years earlier in a police interrogation video shown Tuesday to jurors in Riverhead.
John Bittrolff, 50, kept his composure throughout the July 2014 video, even when he called his wife to explain where he was.

“Hello, it’s me,” Bittrolff said on the video. There were brief pauses between sentences as his wife responded. “I got arrested. I’m not kidding you. I’m dead serious. Two murders. From 1993. Two prostitutes. They’re saying they found my semen in them.”

“Have you ever used the services of a prostitute?” Leser asked him.
“No, never,” Bittrolff replied. “I can get laid any time I want. I don’t want to bring disease home to my wife.”

Bittrolff married his wife in 1995, but he said he dated her exclusively for 10 years before then and was living with her in 1993.

I would not trust any evidence that came from Suffolk county police. There appears to be some that lack honor in the department and would find ways to cover their dirty deeds while throwing another to the wolves without a second thought. Suffolk county is the highest paid police department in the nation, I believe, and they can't seem to be trusted to do the right thing? Welcome to the new world order full of psychopathic zombies.

I would not trust any evidence that came from Suffolk county police. There appears to be some that lack honor in the department and would find ways to cover their dirty deeds while throwing another to the wolves without a second thought. Suffolk county is the highest paid police department in the nation, I believe, and they can't seem to be trusted to do the right thing? Welcome to the new world order full of psychopathic zombies.

Actually the scary part is that they are the same species as us. The only thing that makes them different is the badge. When the pope gets a badge he will do exactly the same.

At the risk of annoying by overposting, here is one more observation about this case.

The police seem to have made some subtle mistakes when they were cooking evidence. The similarities to carelessnesses in the case https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...death-row-inmate-rodney-reed-loses-dna-appeal are interesting. There seems to be some peculiar reason why certain types of evidence are used to frame somebody, and why that evidence is so resistant to being discredited no matter how many experts disavow it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back