NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The men may have had assistance outside the prison, perhaps meeting up with someone who helped them leave the area, investigators said.

Cuomo said investigators were confident the men obtained the tools inside the prison. Acting Corrections Commissioner Anthony Annucci said an inventory of prison tools had so far shown none missing and he was in contact with contractors who were doing or had done work at the prison."

http://globalnews.ca/news/2040796/e...eard-by-others-during-ny-prison-escape-cuomo/

Akwasasne/Saint Regis is about a 30-45 minute drive away. If they made it over the border their only advantage is that Canada is vast and unpopulated compared to going south and well apparently nobody is looking for them in Quebec :notgood:
I haven't been this freaked out since I found out that Israel Keyes had connections to Constable- a little town just about 20 minutes from Dannemora.
Yes there are tons of cabins and camps in this area. And many of them are empty. I find a lot of the older folks are trying to sell and not coming up as much. Lots of places to hide.

screecher, you mention the tunnels under the annex. I believe the annex is on the east side of the prison facility? You seem to know a lot about this particular prison. Is there anything else you can share? Do you think I am off base by saying they went south from the prison?

Thanks in advance for sharing any of your detailed knowledge.

Hi Snoopster. Yes, I believe the annex is east of the main. Your theory could be possible, although highly improbable imo.
I certainly could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time lol.

The face looks to be computer generated while the "have a nice day" looks to be written by a female. imo.

The writing looked ' feminine" to me as well, ie swirls on letters, also wondering about the tidy happy face, where did they get a chance to draw and even put it, on yellow paper?!

Story.jpg

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/story/d/story/two-convicted-murderers-escape-clinton-correctiona/19717/9oAAX4W-a0ixqpSNPxDSpg

My first thought with the smiley face and words was Bon Jovi's song:

aka6O7.jpg

Call me crazy because the smiley isn't exact... but I sure think it fits, it's the perfect F-U song. :twocents:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bonjovi/haveaniceday.html

"Have A Nice Day"

Why, you wanna tell me how to live my life?
Who, are you to tell me if it's black or white?
Mama, can you hear me? Try to understand.
Is innocence the difference between a boy and a man?
My daddy lived the lie, that's just the price that he paid
Sacrificed his life, just slavin' away.

Ohhh, if there's one thing I hang onto,
That gets me through the night.
I ain't gonna do what I don't want to,
I'm gonna live my life.
Shining like a diamond, rolling with the dice,
Standing on the ledge, I show the wind how to fly.
When the world gets in my face,
I say, Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day

Take a look around you; nothing's what it seems
We're living in the broken home of hopes and dreams,
Let me be the first to shake a helping hand.
Anybody brave enough to take a stand,

I've knocked on every door, on every dead end street,
Looking for forgiveness,
what's left to believe?

I'm gonna live my life.
I say, Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day.

[Guitar Solo]

I'm gonna live my life.
I say, Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day.

When The world keeps trying, to drag me down,
I gotta raise my hands, I'm gonna stand my ground.
Well I say, Have A Nice Day.
Have A Nice Day
Have A Nice Day

If there was an escape (i really don't believe it), imo, it happened between 3:30 - 4:30 Friday afternoon, leaving with the civilians. I don't believe they would head for the border. Getting into Canada, in the last 10 ten years, is harder than ever, unless they took the ferry into Vermont and crossed at one of the very small, very rural unmanned crossings. But that would mean they would have had a vehicle waiting for them somewhere. They absolutely would have had to have 'inside' help. Someone bringing in civilian garb, that same someone providing transportation. Most everyone is thinking they headed north to Canada. I'm thinking they would drive to Plattsburgh, get on I-87, perhaps drive all the way down to NYC and disappear in the city. IMO, a 1% chance of an escape.

This cockamamie, "extraordinary" tale of escape is just that. There's no way in he!! that could happen, imo.

Once they're in for the night, cell checks are done every 2 hours, hoodie's are not allowed to be worn while in bed. Every bed check is done with a light, and every inmate's face is supposedly seen. Upon exciting their cells in the am, counts are done on the inmates numerous times throughout the day. They're counted before and after chow. They're counted before entering the yard and while exiting the yard. Counted again and again again. At the same time they're being counted, they are also being frisked. Clinton, while being as old as the dirt it's built on, is a very,very secure facility. With not ever any one inmate EVER escaping.

Some have gone 'missing', and imo, these two murdering scumbags also have gone 'missing'.

The almost comical thing about this, is Gov Andrew Cuomo arriving at the prison, being allowed entry, along with the press, when his father, Gov Mario Cuomo, was denied entry to the same prison back when it was learned 13 prisoners went 'missing'. lol

Is it only me (it usually is) that is a bit confused? I can't find anything about Gov Cuomo being denied admittance to the prison after 13 prisoners went missing, nor can I find anything about any other prisoners going missing. But, I am admittedly a terrible google detective. Can you please provide links for that?

I'm sure you don't mean to be coy, but if prisoners come in, don't leave but come up missing that only leaves one alternative. Some kind of long term cover up. If I'm interpreting this all wrong, my apologies.

Maybe if you became verified you would be able to tell us more? :please:

Building on nightwatch's idea....what are the various likely options as to where they might go?

1.) Why would they go to Canada? Based on admittedly no professional knowledge, my understanding is that the only time it would be an advantage legally is if you were at risk of the death penalty. (Canada doesn't have it and it would be tough (or simply longer) for the US to extradite from Canada if the person was likely to receive the death penalty. I don't think this is the case for New York State (see link below) so I don't know that there would be a significant motivation to take the risk of crossing the Canadian border.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_New_York

2.) Go to area where you know people. This would imply western NY. Matt was from the Buffalo region, while Sweat was arrested just north of the Pennsylvania border, south of Syracuse. Look there. Sweat has experience hiding in the rugged area of NY State. There are plenty of small cabins and cottages in which to hole up.

3.) Mexico. Why not? I'm sure you could pay people to get you across the border and, let's face it, Matt has already done it previously.

I'm leaning toward #2 or #3.

Good points.

I first immediately thought #1 Canada but after reading your post I am not so sure.

Here is the Main thing IMO. They have to find a place to lay low for awhile.

If they got a good jump on LE then Canada may have been their choice but I think only if they had a ride lined up. They would have been across the border before anyone knew to watch the borders. u

I think I would rule out #3 Mexico because why try to travel so far and risk the distance.

So I think #2 for Matts friends may have been where they headed although the inmates would also know the heat would be around their relatives so not sure they would head to where the heat is.

So I do think I am back to #1 just because it would take the heat off of them. They would know that US is probably more interesting in finding them than Canada would be solely because its US inmates and so I think they would think to get out of US may be a good idea.

They would have had to have a ride lined up I would think. One simple way to do that is if someone parked a car in advance at like a motel or airport lot and then hid key under the floor mat and just mailed them a letter or during a visit explained where it was.

This is crazy story.

I happen to love the old stories years ago of elaborate breakouts in daring fashion so long as nobody got hurt.

The Escape from Alcatraz is fascinating although most think they drowned. The other stories of POW digging tunnels to get out of POW camps are amazing too.

This story is right up there.

I do wonder if there are some fibs being given the public so far. Like if they used blow torch then what about the smell of smoldering pipes.

When cutting through anything with a blow torch there is always smoke. You would think the smoke would alert guards.

Something seems strange about this story but if they had inside help I can see it happening. Like a guard being paid to look the other way during head counts and cutting digging sessions.

I've got a theory. This may have already been suggested but I think the cutting of the 2 openings were done by workers from the inside of the wall.

Take a look at the nice clean square holes in the link below and then look at the 1 picture of the bed and hole behind it. The only way you can make that kind of cut and follow perfectly that frame that is visible from the picture of the bed side is if you were on the inside on the catwalk.

You had to be on the catwalk cutting because if you were in the cell there is no way you would know where that frame is under the window. You can see the exposed frame. If you were in the cell cutting it would be a random hole somewhere with probably jagged edges. The hole shows it was someone on the catwalk cutting beside the frame along the edge of frame perfectly.

I suspect some workers decided to help out a couple of inmates. Workers would know how to get to the manhole and provide the inmates with directions how to get out.

The holes give this away IMO. I think workers cut the holes for them and gave them materials to cover the wall and make it look like someone was in bed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/08/nyregion/convicts-escape-prison-in-upstate-new-york.html?_r=0

<snip>

Sources who work or worked in the prison told the Press-Republican that tools from outside contractors are supposed to be accounted for, but guards are not allowed to search workers when they enter the prison.

Many of the construction firms are from out of state, though some are local or from elsewhere in New York state.

Background checks are required for construction workers, but many times they are not done until workers have already been on the job for days, even weeks, at at time.

"We throw a lot of guys out of there once the background checks come in," a source told the Press-Republican.

<snip>

Correction officers confirmed the Matt and Sweat were in their cells during the "master count" at 10:30 p.m. Friday.

Foglia said that is a "standing count &#8212; they don't have to be literally standing, but they must be visibly seen."

Authorities have said that Matt and Sweat were confirmed to be in their cells around midnight, as well.

Patrols are made every two hours overnight, authorities said.

Prison guards who talked with the Press-Republican said the rule, when checking on inmates, is to confirm seeing "skin or breathing."

BBM

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...cle_4a98128e-ac7b-5ab9-89ae-c607c35208ef.html

"I would be shocked if a guard was involved, and that's putting it mildly," Cuomo told CNN. "But we're looking at the civilian employees now and the private contractors to see if possibly if a civil employee or contractor was assisting the escape because they wouldn&#8217;t have equipment on their own, that's for sure."

A female employee of facility was interrogated by investigators who viewed her as a possible accomplice, the New York Post reported on Monday, citing unidentified sources.

New York is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the apprehension of the men it describes as dangerous and have notified law enforcement in Canada and Mexico about the fugitives, the first to escape in the prison's 150-year history."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/08/us-usa-newyork-prisoners-idUSKBN0ON0LY20150608

Horrifying details makes me think the other escapee is at great risk of getting murdered too, imo...
From your link, thanks.

" The victim was a food broker named William Rickerson who had hired and then fired Matt.

On Dec. 4, 1997, according to the trial testimony of an accomplice, Matt beat Rickerson with a knife sharpener, bound him with duct tape, tossed him in the trunk of a car, and then drove around for 27 hours looking for a place to kill and bury him.

At one stop on the drive, Matt opened the trunk, broke four of Rickerson's fingers, hit him in the chest with a steering wheel locking device, then shut the trunk and kept driving.

The accomplice testified that Matt had him turn down a cul-de-sac, stop the car and open the trunk again. He said Matt told him: "You know, I've had enough of this."

He said Matt reached in and twisted Rickerson's head. "I heard a pop," the accomplice testified, and the businessman "just dropped back in the trunk." Matt cut off the arms and legs with a hacksaw, authorities said".

I would think these guys would have no reason to stay together once they get out and would split up immediately, unless one of them has a safe place set up with someone to help them for a while. I wonder, in past prison breaks, if multiple escapees are usually caught together?

For anyone who may be interested or to spark some ideas, good list of prison and prison-break films ..

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000521403/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering where they have been living, one could imagine these guys fantasizing about escaping to sunny, warm climates.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/08/us/new-york-prison-break/
"People call the Clinton Correctional Facility "Little Siberia."

That's in part because of its remote location -- in the sparsely populated northeast corner of New York, about 25 miles from the Canadian border.

And also because it's in a region where wintry weather can persist more than half the year."

Horrifying details makes me think the other escapee is at great risk of getting murdered too, imo...
From your link, thanks.

" The victim was a food broker named William Rickerson who had hired and then fired Matt.

On Dec. 4, 1997, according to the trial testimony of an accomplice, Matt beat Rickerson with a knife sharpener, bound him with duct tape, tossed him in the trunk of a car, and then drove around for 27 hours looking for a place to kill and bury him.

At one stop on the drive, Matt opened the trunk, broke four of Rickerson's fingers, hit him in the chest with a steering wheel locking device, then shut the trunk and kept driving.

The accomplice testified that Matt had him turn down a cul-de-sac, stop the car and open the trunk again. He said Matt told him: "You know, I've had enough of this."

He said Matt reached in and twisted Rickerson's head. "I heard a pop," the accomplice testified, and the businessman "just dropped back in the trunk." Matt cut off the arms and legs with a hacksaw, authorities said".

More on vicious Matt:

But his rap sheet goes back further than that: Matt was sentenced to 2-4 years for a 1989 rape in Buffalo and stabbing a nurse in 1991. He served time for those crimes until 1997, the same year he abducted and killed Rickerson.

http://time.com/3912501/new-york-prison-escape-clinton-correctional-facility/

Matt, who was in his 30s at the time, was well known to North Tonawanda police, City of Tonawanda police and the FBI. He had a record of felony convictions, including an assault on a woman.

He was also a central figure in a bizarre January 1992 case involving David Telstar, a prominent California man who was with Matt in the Erie County Holding Center.

FBI agents said Telstar paid to have Matt bailed out of the jail and offered him $100,000 to travel to Los Angeles and murder four people, including Telstar&#8217;s socialite wife and a Los Angeles police official. Instead of performing the murders, Matt went to police and reported the offer from Telstar. Matt then became the prime witness against Telstar, who was sentenced to five years in federal prison.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...ure-killer-escapes-from-state-prison-20150606

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair