NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
"New York Prison Escape Stirs Painful Memories for Victim’s Father

Phillip Tarsia is still haunted by the death of his son, Deputy Sheriff Kevin Tarsia, at the hands of David Sweat, one of two convicted murderers who fled into a rural expanse of northern New York after staging an elaborate escape from a prison that was discovered on Saturday.

<snip>

The loss of his son has turned Independence Day into a somber occasion, Mr. Tarsia said, when his family gathers to reflect on the young man&#8217;s life.

&#8220;We celebrate Kevin at the park [where he was killed] on the Fourth,&#8221; he said. &#8220;We go there every year.&#8221;

<snip>

Mr. Sweat and his companions had just burglarized a fireworks store in Pennsylvania when Deputy Tarsia confronted them.

Deputy Tarsia was shot 22 times in the confrontation.

The men left his body lying in a parking lot, where it remained overnight. It was discovered at daybreak, Mr. Tarsia said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/n...tirs-painful-memories-for-victims-father.html

In fact, a neighbor called police about the gunshots, and they didn't bother to come check it out.

dailymail.com just put a big article about 'the wife' on its site. A son, who is a burlesque performer, answered the door and said they don't want to be involved. 'The wife', yes, has MS and is in a wheel chair in a pic', and 'the wife' lives in the marital home, a 3brm. Palmer moved right in with his present GF, the blonde whose close to his age. The article says 'Oh, Palmer's such a liked guy', but HELLO - he gave 2 convicted murderers saw blades, chisel blade, screwdriver, and, in exchange for donuts, he smuggled hamburger laced with saw blades and tools to them, too. Since it's said Palmer passed a polygraph and did not know what was inside the strangely shaped, strangely wrapped hamburger (we know Palmer said he asked Tillie, 'Is there anything wrong with this (hamburger)?' and she said 'no' and he did not know about the smuggled prison breakout tools. Well, Okay. But crime is crime. Palmer did not run that weirdly shaped frozen hamburger through the scanner as was his job - and why? We are told he 'did it for the donuts...'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-wife-insisted-split-life-girlfriend.html

Yes, I have heard of couples, where one is in a nursing home, and they have to divorce; otherwise all their assets are gone to pay for the nursing home. You can keep the house and one car, but all savings, etc. must be used to pay for the nursing home, before Medicaid will kick in. And income must be below poverty line, which Palmer's wouldn't be. In his case, IF his wife was in a nursing home, he'd have to pay to the nursing home any salary ABOVE the poverty line, and when he spends down to poverty line level, then Medicaid kicks in.

I was Power of Attorney for my Mom, with Alzeimers. She had a sizeable savings . Which was wiped out after 10 years of out of pocket payments to the tune of 750,000. She died shortly after I sold her home, to replenish the savings. UGH. JMO OT I know....

Investigators must have good reason to believe these guys are in the woods of upstate NY. But, if they are in the woods i can not imagine how they are evading capture. Matt and Sweat should be hungry, exhausted, and in physical pain. Sophisticated equipment, K9's, and trained officers are being used. Does not make sense that they havent been found. Is it possible they are far away from where searchers are?...maybe the DNA evidence was planted?

"Palmer was released at 12:30 a.m. on Thursday after using a credit card to post his $25,000 bail, the Associated Press reports. He has yet to enter a plea.

On Wednesday, Mitchell learned that her co-worker had been arrested.

"She questioned me as to why her bail is so high as compared with the $25,000 cash and $50,000 bond set in his case and we discussed that," says Johnston. "

http://www.people.com/article/accused-accomplice-joyce-mitchell-relying-faith-ordeal

I would've liked to have heard that conversation. JMO

The difference in bail may have something to do with Tillie admitting that she was in on the escape plan, and even supposed to be the get-away driver. Palmer has admitted to wrong-doing, but denies knowledge of the break-out. However, given the proximity of his primary residence to where the dogs first picked up a scent (at the Subway shop)...I think he may be just as guilty as Tillie, if not more so.

dailymail.com just put a big article about 'the wife' on its site. A son, who is a burlesque performer, answered the door and said they don't want to be involved. 'The wife', yes, has MS and is in a wheel chair in a pic', and 'the wife' lives in the marital home, a 3brm. Palmer moved right in with his present GF, the blonde whose close to his age. The article says 'Oh, Palmer's such a liked guy', but HELLO - he gave 2 convicted murderers saw blades, chisel blade, screwdriver, and, in exchange for donuts, he smuggled hamburger laced with saw blades and tools to them, too. Since it's said Palmer passed a polygraph and did not know what was inside the strangely shaped, strangely wrapped hamburger (we know Palmer said he asked Tillie, 'Is there anything wrong with this (hamburger)?' and she said 'no' and he did not know about the smuggled prison breakout tools. Well, Okay. But crime is crime. Palmer did not run that weirdly shaped frozen hamburger through the scanner as was his job - and why? We are told he 'did it for the donuts...'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-wife-insisted-split-life-girlfriend.html

Burlesque performer? Wife and a girlfriend? Thanksgiving must be really interesting!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Investigators must have good reason to believe these guys are in the woods of upstate NY. But, if they are in the woods i can not imagine how they are evading capture. Matt and Sweat should be hungry, exhausted, and in physical pain. Sophisticated equipment, K9's, and trained officers are being used. Does not make sense that they havent been found. Is it possible they are far away from where searchers are?...maybe the DNA evidence was planted?
But, really, the only guy to plant it would be the cabin owner guy, right?

http://www.startribune.com/the-latest-guard-charged-in-ny-prison-escape-posts-bail/309761191/

"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says a state investigation into how two killers escaped from a maximum-security prison will look into whether reforms are needed."

:thinking: ... :doh: ... :gaah:

"Whether reforms are needed"???????????????? I don't know anything about the governor except he is probably the only person in the USA who doesn't know if reforms are needed. Absolutely amazing!!

"Posting Bail

When you "post bail," you are paying the amount that your bail was set at. This can generally be done in a few ways, including:

Paying by cash or check in the amount of your bail [or in some states/jurisdictions, a credit card];
Signing over ownership rights to property that has a cash value that is equal to or exceeds the amount of your bail;
Giving a bond (a promise to pay if you do not appear) in the full amount of your bail; or
Signing a statement that says you will appear in court at the required time, generally called "being released on your own recognizance."

Generally, if you can be released on your own recognizance, you should try to take that option. However, many people are forced to purchase a bail bond in order to get released from jail. A bond is much like a check that you give to a friend, asking him or her not to cash it until you say it's okay to do so. Generally, the purchase price of the bond is about 10% of the value. Therefore, if your bail is set at $5000, you can expect to pay about $500 in order to purchase a bail bond.

If you have the chance to avoid getting a bail bond in order to get out of jail, it is often good advice to take that second option. If you appear at court and proceed with all requirements thereof, you will generally get the full amount of your bail returned back to you (minus some small, administrative fees from the court). However, if you buy a bail bond, you are already out 10% of your bail amount (this is generally not refundable), and you will also probably have to give the bail bondsman some collateral in order to get the bond (such as an interest in your car or home). If you fail to appear in court at a required time, the bondsman can cash in on the collateral you gave, meaning that he or she could sell your property and take the money from the sale. "

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/getting-out-of-jail-after-you-have-been-arrested.html

Cash OR Bond. He chose Cash.

Sorry. :deadhorse:

Lots of folks here may not understand . I am appreciative of the information !

Unless you have lived in that general area, which I did for over 16 years, one cannot understand the way the cold numbs the body and the soul. Winter can come down in September and not leave till June. Below zero is not uncommon. nor is -20/-30. This is a world of people related from the "early" days, and some of the horrors that go with it. It is a world unto itself with it's own secrets and friendships. I could say a lot more, but there is no point. You just can't understand until you've lived there.

My opinion only

sounds really interesting ... you should write a blog (or a book!) about it - I'd read it

Oh, heavens, this article is priceless!!
"But while Mitchell is universally despised by locals around Dannemora for her alleged role in Matt and Sweat's escape, Palmer is admired for the way he has continued to care for his wife." OK, he "cares" for her by abandoning her to move in with his gf?? Sure, he may visit her every day, but someone with MS needs a lot more than "visits." If she's deteriorated to the point where she's in a wheelchair, she requires a lot of personal care.
And, he "gave" her the house, and (assuming the mortgage is paid off), who's paying the taxes, the utilities, buying groceries? It's grand of him to list her as a dependent on his health insurance, but who's paying the deductibles and co-pays?

"Gene is the consummate professional, and he knows he has to get information out of the prisoners - and you can't do that unless you show them some respect.'" Sounds like he was showing (and giving) them a whole lot more than respect. And he accepted multiple paintings from them, which amounts to taking bribles -- not to mentioned being bribed by Tillie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998