Identified! NY - Staten Island, WhtFem 16-27, UP2689, scorpion tattoo, ring watch, dress, sneakers, Sep'91 - Christine Belusko

NYC authorities identify New Jersey woman murdered in decades-old cold case

"Staten Island authorities identified the woman killed in a murder that stumped investigators for decades. The identification of the victim — Christine Belusko, from Morris County, New Jersey — is the latest breakthrough in a cold case that occurred in 1991."

"The perpetrator – who remains unidentified – bludgeoned, strangled and set Belusko on fire before discarding her body in the Ocean Breeze neighborhood on Sept. 20, 1991,"

"The weapon found at the scene – a blood-stained hammer with the name ‘Loyd L’ scratched into the handle – also failed to lead to any suspects."

"the Richmond County DA's office used genealogy research to ultimately discover Belusko’s identity in April 2021.

The authorities also discovered Belusko’s last known address, the identity of her daughter – who was 2 when her mother died – and Belusko's whereabouts leading up to her death. The authorities contacted Belusko’s family members – including her brother – in June 2021.

The identity of Belusko’s assailant remains unknown – although the district attorney said it is likely someone who knew her. Belusko reportedly worked at a Rainbow shop in New Jersey, and wore clothing from the store at the time she was murdered, according to McMahon."

its curious to me that she was staying at a motel in teh poconos when supposedly she was from jersey... maybe she was hiding from an abusive ex?
Right? Nothing seems to mention Christa's father? It seems whoever he is, if he was living at the time, he would have been cleared long ago? Maybe she was hiding from someone else or just on vacation?

This is a case that troubled me since it was so brutal and she seemed like she would be easy to ID. Her poor family. I hope her daughter is alive and well.

Staten Island authorities identified the woman killed in a murder that stumped investigators for decades. The identification of the victim — Christine Belusko, from Morris County, New Jersey — is the latest breakthrough in a cold case that occurred in 1991.

“This is a story about a brutal and depraved murder, depraved acts of violence that killed this young girl in her prime,” said Richmond County District Attorney Michael E. McMahon at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon. “And the dumping of her body in a lonely and desolate field on the east shore of Staten Island exactly 31-and-a-half years ago.”

The perpetrator – who remains unidentified – bludgeoned, strangled and set Belusko on fire before discarding her body in the Ocean Breeze neighborhood on Sept. 20, 1991, police said Tuesday. Because police were unable to identify her with fingerprints or police sketches, Belusko became known by a scorpion tattoo on her right buttock.

The weapon found at the scene – a blood-stained hammer with the name ‘Loyd L’ scratched into the handle – also failed to lead to any suspects.
gothamist.com

NYC authorities identify New Jersey woman murdered in decades-old cold case

I’m curious to know why she wasn’t listed as being missing with her daughter. I hope Christa can be found safe and Christine’s killer brought to justice for this horrible crime. :(

Rest peacefully now Christine.

i just read that she worked at Rainbows and the clothing that she was found in was from rainbows. So Iam assuming the Rainbow's was in NJ where she lived. So with that maybe she went for a weekend to the Poconos.. still does help with how she ended up in Staten Island.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back