Identified! NY - Staten Island, WhtFem 16-27, UP2689, scorpion tattoo, ring watch, dress, sneakers, Sep'91 - Christine Belusko

''Investigators also revealed Tuesday that Belusko had a daughter who was two years old at the time of Belusko's murder. They identified the child, who would now be 34 years old, as Christa Nicole. They have been unable to find her and released an age progression photo Tuesday in an effort to stimulate leads from the public.''
''If you recognize Christa Nicole or know anything about the murder of Christine Belusko, call the Richmond County District Attorney's Office at 718-556-7085.''

‘Scorpion tattoo’ N.J. victim of brutal cold case killing identified 31 years later

2021 BREAKTHROUGH

Nilsen detailed that Belusko was first identified in April 2021.

In June of 2021, her brother was informed of his sister’s death. During that interview is when prosecutors learned she had a daughter.

New and prior leads in the case came up empty, spurring the decision to release new information to the public.

The victim’s last known address was in Clifton, where she lived until July 1991. She was a long-time resident of New Jersey, according to law-enforcement officials.

Investigators also know Belusko was staying at a Mount Airy Lodge near Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania, in the weeks before her death.

A PowerPoint presentation showed photos of Belusko as well as an age progression photo of Christa Nicole that was created by the FBI and National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

The victim worked in a clothing shop in New Jersey called the Rainbow Shop. The dress she was found wearing at the time of her death was from that line of clothing, McMahon said.

He declined to say what she was doing on Staten Island the day she was killed — they are investigating leads on the matter and that part of the probe remains open, he said.

“Given the facts of the case and what transpired and the way in which she was murdered, it does not seem random,” McMahon said.

“This was someone who knew her, it’s an intimate type of murder.”

‘Scorpion tattoo’ N.J. victim of brutal cold case killing identified 31 years later

2021 BREAKTHROUGH

Nilsen detailed that Belusko was first identified in April 2021.

In June of 2021, her brother was informed of his sister’s death. During that interview is when prosecutors learned she had a daughter.

New and prior leads in the case came up empty, spurring the decision to release new information to the public.

I'm still trying to understand if/when Christine Belusko & her daughter were originally reported missing. Based on this article it seems that law enforcement wasn't aware that Christa Nicole was missing until they identified her mom...?

Richmond County District Attorney Michael McMahon said at a Tuesday press conference that the victim, now identified as Christine Belusko, was hit more than a dozen times with a hammer and then was set on fire before she was found dead in 1991.

Her body was found in a vacant lot in the Ocean Breeze area a day after she was killed, according to investigators. Belusko lived in Morris County, New Jersey, at the time of her death.

Her main identifying feature was a scorpion tattoo, but authorities were not able to positively identify her until they could access her DNA to trace her genealogy.

Police have since located and interviewed her brother, but perhaps more importantly, have learned she had a 2-year-old daughter at the time of her death. That daughter, who would now be 34 years old, is named Christa Nicole — and they are looking to find her, law enforcement said.

Years ago I spoke to a detective about Sylvia Lwowski’s disappearance and likely murder…he brought this woman up, because he was trying to solve her case, too. He had no idea whatsoever, who she could be-interesting that she was from relatively close by, and there did not appear to be a missing person report for Christine, or her daughter. I guess whoever was closest to them, already knew where they were.

I don't get it, wasn't she reported missing?

View attachment 410521
No-her family thought she had moved to Florida, because she said she and her child were planning to do this; she had pulled away from her family after finding out that she was adopted. So rhey just thought she moved and went “no contact”. It’s so sad that they didn’t know,

No-her family thought she had moved to Florida, because she said she and her child were planning to do this; she had pulled away from her family after finding out that she was adopted. So rhey just thought she moved and went “no contact”. It’s so sad that they didn’t know,
hi, i was wondering where you got this information from? I found the mothers obituary that said Christine was residing in Naples Florida.. curious if there’s some confirmation somewhere about her relationship with her family.

hi, i was wondering where you got this information from? I found the mothers obituary that said Christine was residing in Naples Florida.. curious if there’s some confirmation somewhere about her relationship with her family.
I read a couple of articles about this-the information came from her brother. When I find the right article, I’ll link it for you.

If that's why she pulled away from her family, it's understandable. Late discovery of adoption/donor conception/other NPE is very traumatic and feels like a huge betrayal. You feel so lost after something like that.

I really hope her daughter is okay and it turns out similar to Dean and Tina Clouse, where someone handed the toddler in to social services and she was adopted. That would be a better outcome than Christa being deceased or staying with whoever killed Christine, who would likely be abusive.

Here is an article from the NY Times which has all of that information.

Here is an article from the NY Times which has all of that information.
That article is behind a paywall for me.
Still glad to know where details can be found re: disappointment/separation over adoption discovery, though. Thanks.

This is why people should always at least try to contact their family members. Or even submit their DNA to people like Othram if they don't want to. It could help.

This is why people should always at least try to contact their family members. Or even submit their DNA to people like Othram if they don't want to. It could help.
If you are missing someone in your family then it definitely makes sense to upload your DNA profile to a company/database you trust. It is a powerful and effective way to re-connect with loved ones.

If you are missing someone in your family then it definitely makes sense to upload your DNA profile to a company/database you trust. It is a powerful and effective way to re-connect with loved ones.
Thank you for doing all that you do.

I have a question, is there a person to contact in regards to an "estimate" ie, to find out how much it would cost for a specific dna test, or if it's possible to get a dna reconstruction for a cold case that's got some various restrictions to it? I wasn't sure if it's a situation where we contact Othram to "get a quote" or how that works? If the persons family would like to get a specific DNA profile or item ran and the detectives don't have the budget but allow us to privately fund it? Has that ever been done? Thank you so much!

Thank you for doing all that you do.

I have a question, is there a person to contact in regards to an "estimate" ie, to find out how much it would cost for a specific dna test, or if it's possible to get a dna reconstruction for a cold case that's got some various restrictions to it? I wasn't sure if it's a situation where we contact Othram to "get a quote" or how that works? If the persons family would like to get a specific DNA profile or item ran and the detectives don't have the budget but allow us to privately fund it? Has that ever been done? Thank you so much!
I believe Othrams standard cost for creating a DNA profile is 3500-5000 USD

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back