NY NY - Steven Damman, 2, East Meadow, 31 Oct 1955

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/19767120/detail.html

More than 50 years after a 2-year-old boy disappeared from outside a Long Island bakery, a Michigan man has come forward to claim that he was the missing boy, authorities said Tuesday.
The man approached Nassau County police and federal authorities in Michigan over the past few months and said he believes he is Steven Damman, Nassau County Police Lt. Kevin Smith said.
The case was referred to the FBI in Michigan and authorities are awaiting DNA results to determine if the man's claim is true, Smith said. Authorities didn't release the man's identity.

Cold case thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30509&highlight=Steven+Damman

missing children in America profile thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60970&highlight=Steven+Damman

If this guy does turn out to be this missing child, it is such a miracle his father is still alive to be reunited. So wonderful!

If he doesn't turn out to be this child, I feel for him in his continuing search to find his real identity.

Also, the story reports that the father's current wife has been married to him for "nearly 50 years." Sad, but the kidnapping (which happened when his then-wife - the boy's mother - left the children outside a bakery) was likely what broke the marriage up. Tragedy has so many long-felt and wide-spread effects.

I'd love it to be him, I truly would... but unfortunately, unless there is evidence that is not yet being published, he's much more likely to be a regular 55-year-old man with some unresolved childhood trauma and a damaged relationship with his parents. Hope I'm wrong though I won't be getting my hopes up.

I'd love it to be him, I truly would... but unfortunately, unless there is evidence that is not yet being published, he's much more likely to be a regular 55-year-old man with some unresolved childhood trauma and a damaged relationship with his parents. Hope I'm wrong though I won't be getting my hopes up.

Yes, the "not fitting in" thing is a bit lacking in hard fact. However, family members do say the resemblance is strong - let's hope that isn't just wishful thinking.

Still, better unresolved issues than some sort of scam, which is the other possibility that sprang into my jaded mind.

Funny- all I could think of was " What a miracle and a blessing" and " I pray it's the missing boy".

It would be amazing,and hopefully provide some answers to that poor mother. The guilt she must have felt is unimaginable. We can't fathom leaving our kids out,but as the one lady said in the article,it was common back then.
Keep us posted on any news.

Gosh, I hope and pray this is true. Look at that man's smile thinking that his long lost son could have been found!

Please, Please don't let this be a cruel hoax or joke!

Wonder if they checked for the scar under his chin and the birthmark on his calf? The scar might have faded but the birthmark should be there. This would be truly amazing if it was Steven. The article did not say if his mother was still alive and his sister Pamela. Does anybody know? TIA

"It probably is him," Jerry Damman told Newsday when reached at his farm in Newton, Iowa, on Tuesday.

"(I'm) not a hundred percent sure," he said. "But there's good reason to believe it might be."

There must be things they are not releasing to the public that makes Jerry say this.

I always thought that the mother's story was the 1950's version of today's "I was carjacked and now my baby's gone!"

One of the articles said that the man and Pamela have had their DNA checked privately, and that the DNA said that they are probably related. Now the FBI is checking their DNA. Maybe this private DNA test is the information that makes the father think it is probably his son?

I hope it is. I always thought Steven Damman was probably dead. I never really trusted the mother's story. If he is, it is a bittersweet ending. Good that his father is still alive; sad that they've missed so much of his life.

I'm skeptical on this one...

The stories mention a couple who said they were his biological parents. Are these parents still alive? What about relatives of his bio parents? Would they know something?

There was a private DNA test done, which showed a relationship between the man and his sister. DNA tests can show a relationship, but how close? Could these two people simply have a common ancestor?

I sincerely hope for a positive outcome for this gentleman and will be watching the news in the next month for FBI test results.

I saw this on the Fox News page a few minutes ago, if this man is the Steven, it would be incredible!

Wow, I am so curious about his Mom and sister now. Oh, and his family that he grew up with...crazy.

I always thought that the mother's story was the 1950's version of today's "I was carjacked and now my baby's gone!"

I'm wondering though how would she have moved the baby carriage to the back of the store where it was found without someone noticing. That would look pretty weird going back there with the stroller and coming back without it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back