GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

ABC7/Eyewitness News article has been updated as well:

<snip, BBM> MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS, Manhattan (WABC) -- The focus of the investigation into the murder of Barnard College student Tessa Majors has turned to DNA swabs recovered from the two 14-year-olds who were questioned before they were released, officials said Friday.

<snip> Harrison said the NYPD believes those eventually charged in the killing will be prosecuted as adults by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, and not go through family court.

A third teen, a 13-year-old, was previously charged in family court and remains in custody.

The 14-year-old boy picked up yesterday, who Harrison referred to as a "person of interest" in the death, appeared to have had an injury on his hand, a mark consistent with a bite.

DNA may be key evidence in Barnard College student Tessa Majors' murder

I would have expected the teen who held TM in a chokehold was bitten by her, but doesn't appear that way.

What on earth does society do with "kids" like this? Put them away forever? We are getting more people in prison than society can support. It is a hidden problem, but the budget for prisons, is hidden because it is part state, local, and federal dollars, but altogether we pay more for the "prison" complex than anyone realizes.

"lacerations on her face "> Tessa Majors Murder Sparks New College Safety Measures at Morningside Park
note this was not in the OP

"and managed to stagger out of the park to find a security guard for help."
Teen Wanted in Tessa Majors Murder Is Found, Questioned and Released, NYPD Says
Detectives say the charged teen watched as Majors was stabbed at the base of the steps, feathers coming out of her jacket as she struggled to fight back. Majors suffered multiple stab wounds to her face and body in the attack, police said.
Police Detail Final Moments As Barnard Student Fought Attackers in Park Robbery

What a horrible, drawn-out death she suffered !
These teens should be put away forever.
Robbery is bad enough but a stabbing is up close and personal. What will these teens be like as adults ?
All reformed and goody two shoes for the remainder of their lives ?
Doubtful.
People who work with adults who are now released after committing murders as juveniles might know how well these people do after release.

Just not being incarcerated later in life is not good enough ; what if they're right back to their previous mistakes but no one knows about it ?
Is there anyone who follows up on teens who are released after committing murders after , say, 25 years old ?
You can't say they're successful, law-abiding citizens without ever finding out what they're doing.
There are people who go on to commit more crimes but no one knows about it as they just haven't been caught yet.

Is there anyone who would gladly welcome Tessa's killer(s) into their home, even with their own children -- after he/they're released at around 25-30 years old ?
Because we know even if he's charged and convicted he'll do a small amount of time due to his youth at the time of the murder.
Juvvie, and then rehabilitation with counseling.

It’s so weird to me that they are not only charging and trying the one kid who reportedly had the least amount to do with Tessa’s murder, but keeping him locked up until the trial— but yet they don’t have enough to even charge either of the other two, one of who seems to be the actual stabber/murderer. Not that ZD shouldn’t be held accountable for his part (he should) but it’s really sad that even with video of the murder the other two kids aren’t able to be charged. o_O:(

It’s so weird to me that they are not only charging and trying the one kid who reportedly had the least amount to do with Tessa’s murder, but keeping him locked up until the trial— but yet they don’t have enough to even charge either of the other two, one of who seems to be the actual stabber/murderer. Not that ZD shouldn’t be held accountable for his part (he should) but it’s really sad that even with video of the murder the other two kids aren’t able to be charged. o_O:(
Are you saying that the kid that did the actual stabbing isn't going to be charged? Last I heard they were searching for him and found him, so i don't get it. Thanks for the info.

Unless I’ve missed something (which is totally possible w/holidays craziness!) they found the kid on the run but he was released to his lawyer. AFAIK he hasn’t been charged and same for the other kid they released.

Unless I’ve missed something (which is totally possible w/holidays craziness!) they found the kid on the run but he was released to his lawyer. AFAIK he hasn’t been charged and same for the other kid they released.
I read that and understood it the same way. It makes no sense other than that there has to be more to it. I suspect they don't believe the boy they have in custody and are following with charges accordingly. JMO of course.

I read that and understood it the same way. It makes no sense other than that there has to be more to it. I suspect they don't believe the boy they have in custody and are following with charges accordingly. JMO of course.

^^RBBM

Everything I've read from many different media outlets points to the investigators' belief that the 13 yo who has been charged (felony murder) did not do the actual stabbing. Numerous accounts have reported that a detective has even testified at a hearing to just that:

<snip> Kaplan was referring to New York police Detective Wilfredo Acevedo's testimony that there was video of the robbing and the stabbing and that it did not show the suspect robbing or stabbing Majors.

Video of Tessa Majors' last moments does not implicate 13-year-old stabbing suspect, lawyer says

<snip> An NYPD detective testified that surveillance video shows the boy never touched Majors or held a knife. But the detective said the boy told him he had picked up the knife before the robbery when his friend dropped it. On Tuesday, he was charged with felony murder and robbery.

Hearing reveals new details in case of murdered student Tessa Majors

The first 14 yo who was picked up and released reportedly appeared at the station with an attorney and did not answer questions. Charges were dropped and he was released.

The second 14 yo appeared with an attorney as well.

Though the video appears to have identified the 13 yo, the lighting outside and within the park is notoriously poor and the other two suspects may not be as identifiable on the video in order to secure a conviction. I recall reading that the 13 yo had been wearing a green coat and red sneakers (He may be more identifiable on the video). He May also be of a noticeably different height than the others (He may be more identifiable than the others on the video).

As I posted earlier and I have seen reported recently, in NYS it is not enough to convict based solely upon the testimony of an accomplice. There may be no other witnesses, poor video quality of the actual stabbing, no murder weapon found and as yet, no DNA evidence to charge the other two teen suspects:

<snip> It remained unclear whether the other two teenagers that the 13-year-old has said participated in the attack on Ms. Majors will be charged. Under New York law, they could not be convicted solely on the basis of his testimony.

Tessa Majors Murder: 13-Year-Old Suspect Must Remain in Custody

With no reporting on the results of the rushed DNA swabs, I'm crossing my fingers that the results were not inconclusive or too weak to bring charges against the others at this time.

IMO, it is not bc they do not believe the 13 yo, it's that there is not enough evidence to charge the other two teens yet.

Last edited:
Teen Charged In Tessa Majors Death To Be Held Until Trial

"A request made by Legal Aid lawyers to have the boy released from a juvenile detention center was denied Thursday, the New York Times reported. Manhattan Family Court Judge Carol Goldstein cited the severity of the boy's charges as a factor in the ruling.

The teen's defense lawyer Hannah Kaplan argued that he is not a flight risk and that his steady school attendance and living situation with his uncle will keep him out of trouble. City lawyers painted the 13-year-old in a different light during Thursday's hearing, saying that the boy got into a confrontation with staff at the juvenile detention center, according to the Times report."

Teen Charged In Tessa Majors Death To Be Held Until Trial: Report

I hope LE is on the job on this one. I guess LE is trying to get enuff evidence to put together a solid arrest warrant for the other perpetrators. Certainly other crimes in this area have occurred and need attention as well.
I'd just like to see some solid progress soon -- not much evidence, apparently, other than the victim -- no weapon found -- no witnesses, apparently, other than the young man being held. This may be a tuff one.
So we wait.

Police Put Up New Posters Offering Reward for Information About Tessa Majors Killing

"Police have put up fresh posters spreading the word about a $2,500 reward for information about the homicide of Tessa Majors, a Barnard freshman who was killed on Dec. 11 in Morningside Park near 116th Street."

West Side Rag » Police Put Up New Posters Offering Reward for Information About Tessa Majors Killing
That's kind of discouraging. Sounds like they are at a standstill.

That's kind of discouraging. Sounds like they are at a standstill.

Indeed appears that way. And I have essentially zero hope that a flyer/poster will encourage someone to come forward. I’m afraid this is an obvious case of “snitches will get stitches” :mad::(

(edit: botched my snitches phrase!)

Last edited:
Good point, @MJPeony -- it would scare me off if I lived in that neighborhood -- my siblings, parents, GF or BF could also be at risk.
OTOH, one thing that I always try to hang onto, is what a retired Chief of Police here in Raleigh, NC, said when I asked him how LE finally arrested a man who indeed was guilty of killing his wife -- he told me, "People talk," and I've never forgotten it. So I'm crossing my fingers for this unfortunate and amazing student and her family to have justice delivered.

The murder of Tessa Majors has become a political football as this letter will demonstrate. It's really not about Tessa or her murder. Here is a paragraph or two:

Ensuring Community-Wide Healing Following The Tragic Loss Of Tess Majors

"This is an open letter written by the executive board of the Women of Color Pre-Law Society in response to the tragic loss of Barnard first-year Tess Majors and the ensuing investigation. The Women of Color Pre-Law Society strives to support women of color and other people of color on their pre-law journeys."

"Ensuring that no one is mistreated during the process of this investigation and that the investigation results in a response that is not limited to just criminal prosecutions will make the Barnard/Columbia community and the larger Harlem community in which we reside in feel safer. It is essential that the response of this investigation engages in a form of restorative justice that focuses on the root causes of why anyone, especially middle school-aged children, would engage in this kind of violence; justice must include actively interrogating and correcting the roots and effects of institutional oppression, gentrification, poverty, and other structural forces. A just and fair process will also ensure that both communities have a better sense of trust in the School and New York City policing, which both groups have had fraught relationships with in the past as demonstrated by BSO’s police report."

Ensuring community-wide healing following the tragic loss of Tess Majors

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back