GUILTY NY - Twenty dead in Limo Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018 *arrest* #2

I haven't been following this case though I recall the horror of it when it happened. Sounds like he took a plea, then backed out. Should be an interesting trial. I wonder why he backed out of a plea.

I haven't been following this case though I recall the horror of it when it happened. Sounds like he took a plea, then backed out. Should be an interesting trial. I wonder why he backed out of a plea.

The judge would not accept the plea deal that did not include any prison time for the defendant. Probation for five years and 1000 hours of community service. The judge rejected it. So, looks like a trial will be coming up.

The glaring problem for the defendant is that the "Out of Service" tag that had been placed on the limousine, was found in his car! He took it off, so he could continue to rent the limo.

At this point, I think that the judge may want to revisit his bail. He is out with a GPS anklet.

The judge would not accept the plea deal that did not include any prison time for the defendant. Probation for five years and 1000 hours of community service. The judge rejected it. So, looks like a trial will be coming up.

The glaring problem for the defendant is that the "Out of Service" tag that had been placed on the limousine, was found in his car! He took it off, so he could continue to rent the limo.

At this point, I think that the judge may want to revisit his bail. He is out with a GPS anklet.

Thanks for the info and good for the judge: why do some of these prosecutors cut deals like this one with no prison time?

I don't know. But prosecution can make whatever deal they want...the judge can reject it.

when I ask why do prosecutors make deals like this, it is a rhetorical question. -- I don't
Understand why, in a case like this with 20 peop!e dead the prosecutor would let this guy plead with zero
Prison time. It is an outrage -----sounds like a lazy prosecutor or a prosecutor who just wants to
Lower his case load. Thank goodness the judge had more sense.

Last edited:
More than likely. The prosecutor must have had some sort of motivation. Especially with a local case that is so horrible.

Aside from the issue with the car, wasn't there also an issue with the driver being without the license to drive that limousine? The owner of the limo service has a lot of liability here, INMO. I wonder if there have been any civil lawsuits? A lot of these folks left small children without parents.

Here is a good summary, the driver was not supposed to drive more than 15 people.

The judge in the Schoharie limousine case has set a trial date of May 1, 2023 for Nauman Hussain, the operator of the limo company involved.

Thanks for finding the report, @alibrarian.
Heavy-duty reading...
We'll see if the trial will actually begin on the date stated.
It's about time.

Great. After reading that report I am afraid to go on any vehicle with DOT certification. Including an airplane.

I can't imagine the stupid bureaucracy involved in this..."the business was notified that the vehicle was out of compliance in regards to safety, but he could appeal this...blah blah...he didn't show up to court, so we fined him $500". He paid the fine, business as usual.

Can you imagine an airplane not having correct maintenance and just...oh, "Okay, just pay a fine...no problem.". Not.

There were also problems with the registration, being deliberately falsified. No one noticed. On and on...

Families of Schoharie crash victims hope to learn FBI's role

Congress will be shown results of FBI review of its oversight of limo owner and government informant Shahed Hussain before crash

Article in Albany Times Union starts out:

"U.S. Rep. Elise Stefanik, whose district covers Schoharie and other communities where many of the victims lived, revealed Thursday that the FBI was getting ready to share with lawmakers the results of the review of the potential nexus between informant Shahed Hussain, his FBI handlers, and the crash.

The FBI will brief Stefanik and other members of the House Intelligence Committee on the results of the investigation. But agency officials haven't said if they would share the findings with the families."

but concludes with:

"It is unclear what the FBI report might reveal about Shahed Hussain and his local FBI handlers. The bureau has repeatedly refused to answer questions from the Times Union about Hussain or Stefanik's demands.

The FBI launched an internal probe a year ago after prodding from Stefanik and other members of New York's congressional delegation. But back in December, Stefanik had alleged that the FBI had "delayed and obfuscated" her attempts to learn more about Hussain and the status of the bureau's investigation.

Stefanik said her outrage at the time was in response to a letter she had received in which the FBI refused to answer her questions. Stefanik called it a "willful failure of (the FBI's) responsibility to inform Congress." However, Stefanik has refused to share the letter with the Times Union, and the FBI has so far denied the Times Union a copy of the letter sought through a Freedom of Information Act request."

(paywall) FBI to show Congress results of probe into informant who owned deadly Schoharie crash limo

Good Lord, I have been trying to follow this case since it happened & in a way it seems like yesterday, yet seems so long ago. Can’t even wrap my head around the families & friends who experienced this unimaginable loss & what they have endured.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back