GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if she was married twice, why does she still have a green card?
because she never became a citizen- you don't recieve citizenship just by being married.
you have to apply for citizenship. maybe she felt more alliegence to her home country.

ITA. Hopefully the court appearance will reveal more. I will start on a google map (wish me luck, I'm mobile) and switch over to my laptop tomorrow to edit with whatever further points of interest become available.

Do we have an approximate address for them?

I have to reread the thread. Is the exact launching point known?

If you, or anyone else would please chime in with points for me to add to my map, that would be great!

:gthanks:

They are both from Poughkeepsie, NY and launched the kayaks from Plum Point https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...a=X&ei=jSJIVYfXKreAsQT6sIDoDw&ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

... they were kayaking on the Hudson at about 7:30 p.m. when rough water and strong wind and currents caused Viafore’s kayak to capsize

Kimi, google map Cold Spring NY. Bannerman's is north a bit. Cold Spring is a charming town with many attractions. I have sat on the water front many times. Looking south you can see West Point.

Just north of Bannerman's is Beacon--very artsy, also a destination.
Right next to Bannerman's is Break Neck Mt. It attracts many hikers. Cars park along route 9D to access. You can also access the river along 9D.

I just can't understand why they chose to cross the river and launch from the west side, when they live on the east side and so many more attractions.

I also can't understand why they would have chosen to start out so late in the day.

I think she's in court tomorrow, so hope we find out more.

Maybe the statement she made had to do with the timing. Maybe they didn't go out on the river as late as she claims. Perhaps she made the call that late, but the time he went into the water was much earlier? In one interview she said she was unconscious for some time. Perhaps that "unconscious" time was spent otherwise?

I dunno. I'm just really curious what she said that lead to her arrest.

As far as boat traffic, I would imagine it's sparse. Perhaps a few avid fisherman.
I live on a lake, and there are very few boats out in April.

There are barges out there as well.

Boat traffic is HEAVY right now. It is our Striper Season here. If I go over the Newburgh-Beacon bridge I'll be sure to snap a photo.

As state police searched the Hudson River near Cornwall for Viafore's body, Graswald took to Facebook: "I miss you my love," and "if only I could have paddled harder." And "please keep your prayers for Vince, miracles are possible." It was, police say, all an elaborate ruse.

"From the very beginning, there were some minor inconsistencies," a police officer said.

http://7online.com/news/fiancee-charged-in-death-of-missing-kayaker-back-in-court/697265/

As state police searched the Hudson River near Cornwall for Viafore's body, Graswald took to Facebook: "I miss you my love," and "if only I could have paddled harder." And "please keep your prayers for Vince, miracles are possible." It was, police say, all an elaborate ruse.

"From the very beginning, there were some minor inconsistencies," a police officer said.

http://7online.com/news/fiancee-charged-in-death-of-missing-kayaker-back-in-court/697265/

"Graswald originally told troopers she and Viafore, were kayaking April 19 when his boat capsized in rough waters near the town of Cornwall-On-Hudson around 7:30 p.m."

Can this location go on the map too, please? Thanks!

I can't really see how could she have tempered with the kayak either.
I also can't understand why would one commit such a crime in a place where could've easily been witnesses.
The fight getting out of hand or maybe him falling to the water and she not helping him make more sense to a 2nd degree murder charge. MOO as always.

Maybe he usually kept a life vest tucked somewhere and she removed it without him knowing?

Can you make sure that the bridges are shown on the map? I'm assuming they crossed at Poughkeepsie, but there is another bridge at Beacon.

Thanks!

I'm assuming they crossed at Beacon/Newburgh Bridge as this is south of where they lived. They were heading south, why go north to head south?

I am from the area, I know the roads and bridges.

FWIW there is a waterfront area in Newburgh that is known for partying. I think she had a party at one of these spots for his "memorial". She also may have bartended there.

I have been there in the summer. In mid April it would be cold and windy, you would probably stay indoors. There was a prior link about this.

Newburgh waterfront:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/newburgh+ny+waterfront/@41.502862,-74.0053205,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

I'm assuming they crossed at Beacon/Newburgh Bridge as this is south of where they lived. They were heading south, why go north to head south?

I am from the area, I know the roads and bridges.

FWIW there is a waterfront area in Newburgh that is known for partying. I think she had a party at one of these spots for his "memorial". She also may have bartended there.

I have been there in the summer. In mid April it would be cold and windy, you would probably stay indoors. There was a prior link about this.

Newburgh waterfront:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/newburgh+ny+waterfront/@41.502862,-74.0053205,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

Good point from a local! I thought they lived in Poughkeepsie, though.

Suddenly this thought struck me: was it FAKED DEATH ???

What if Vincent had put himself in some really bad situation, like owe the VERY wrong people lots of money or something to that effect, and so he and Angelika put together a plan that Vincent should "accidentally/drown/disappear" never to be found but eventually be declared dead.
Angelika should soon go back to Latvia in Europe bc the love of her life had died, and back there in Latvia is Vincent waiting for her with all the great money, which is worth a LOT more in an eastern European country like Latvia.

They had, after all, already planed to marry at the Latvia seashore right?
And a scenario like this would answer several mysterious questions in this case:

1.What motive would Angelika have to murder Vincent?
answer: she didn't have a motive, bc she didn't kill him and he did not drown/die.

2.How come she seem to not grief at all? in the contrary she seem happy go lucky in many of the photos in her Facebook taken and posted AFTER Vincent's accident?
answer:she never killed him it was all a sneaky plan to make him look dead + some common financial gain, and she was now just longing and looking forward to meet him back in her home country, and there living together happily ever after.

3.Angelika's serious inconsistencies when explaining what and how the accident happened?
answer: Those inconsistencies occurred simply bc the accident/murder never happened, and it is extremely difficult to "remember" a course of events that never happened, especially the details.

I know it is a long shot, but then again... maybe not :thinking:

I did a Mapquest request for driving directions from Poughkeepsie to New Windsor (Plum Point) and the directions take me over the Beacon/Newburgh Bridge and down 9W, about 22 miles in 35 minutes.

^^^

That "long shot" actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. Explains several of the odd inconsistencies and behaviour and seems to link up with her personality, which through the various descriptions seems notable for being transparent, straight up, unactorly. Interesting to see what the insurance implications are.

best,

s

Newburgh waterfront:

According to the Poughkeepsie Journal, she had a " memorial " at Shadow's on the Hudson which is in the City of Poughkeepsie. Although the restaurant staff is not allowed to speak others that were there that night have.

Theforeigner------very possible scenario-----explains why no body has been found----

Another thought-----maybe he was never there at all-------maybe it was another man approx height and weight------kayak "flips" and he swims to shore-----or a dummy was in the kayak and sank-------
IMO it didnt seem like ideal weather to go out on the water.......

I wonder if some of the inconsistencies possibly come from data they may have received from EZ Pass records (a system we use to pay tolls on bridges, interstates, etc.). and/or cell phone records.

Suddenly this thought struck me: was it FAKED DEATH ???

What if Vincent had put himself in some really bad situation, like owe the VERY wrong people lots of money or something to that effect, and so he and Angelika put together a plan that Vincent should "accidentally/drown/disappear" never to be found but eventually be declared dead.
Angelika should soon go back to Latvia in Europe bc the love of her life had died, and back there in Latvia is Vincent waiting for her with all the great money, which is worth a LOT more in an eastern European country like Latvia.

They had, after all, already planed to marry at the Latvia seashore right?
And a scenario like this would answer several mysterious questions in this case:

1.What motive would Angelika have to murder Vincent?
answer: she didn't have a motive, bc she didn't kill him and he did not drown/die.

2.How come she seem to not grief at all? in the contrary she seem happy go lucky in many of the photos in her Facebook taken and posted AFTER Vincent's accident?
answer:she never killed him it was all a sneaky plan to make him look dead + some common financial gain, and she was now just longing and looking forward to meet him back in her home country, and there living together happily ever after.

3.Angelika's serious inconsistencies when explaining what and how the accident happened?
answer: Those inconsistencies occurred simply bc the accident/murder never happened, and it is extremely difficult to "remember" a course of events that never happened, especially the details.

I know it is a long shot, but then again... maybe not :thinking:

Thank You! I had posted earlier about possible fraud. I don't think anyone was paying attention. :blushing:

What if they were in it together? No body, no real foul play. It could have been staged.

I have a real problem with logistics. If Bannerman was their destination, they would NOT HAVE crossed the bridge to Newburgh. They would have gone directly to Beacon then south on 9D towards Cold Spring. They would have stopped somewhere to launch the kayaks.

NO WAY in my book would they have traveled way out of their way to the west side of the river to launch then make a reckless crossing on the river.

Late afternoon into evening, ummmm not in my book.
I am leaning towards it was all staged.

Granted, the river has strong currents and is tidal, body could be anywhere.
There are marshes, rocky shores as well.

Mind you, there are train tracks along both sides of the river.

I am hoping the telescope witnesses and the boat rescuers have real input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solaria