Identified! NY - Yonkers, WhtFem 30-35, 1216UFNY, butterfly tattoo, 2 C-sections, Jun'92 - Meresa Hammonds

Hi all,

I have been taking several looks into this Doe for a couple of years now and thought I'd have one more crack at finding any other possible matches. I've been lurking on WS for a couple of days as a total newbie and I came across the WS thread and NamUs profile of one woman who lines up with Yonkers JD pretty well.

So, I'm just wondering if Marilyn Jean Mara has been ruled out as this Doe? Or if she has been brought up? I scoured through this thread and didn't see a mention of her - I hope I didn't miss anything.

A few of the details are sketchy and don't 100% add up, I know, but Marilyn's profile isn't exactly brimming with distinctive details. And there are a few similarities that are noteworthy! Yonkers JD's killer was known to pick up prostitutes and murder them, and as far as I know, Marilyn was dabbling in that sort of thing and had a bunch of aliases. Their overall looks are also quite similar though.
Yeah, I've thought about this possibility, too. They are similar. Marilyn's daughter has been active in her thread, so I have suggested she'd take a look at the Jane Doe victims of Shulman and Rifkin.

Marilyn Jean Mara's WS thread:
NY - NY - Marilyn Jean Mara, 35, Ridgewood, June 1, 1990

Yeah, I've thought about this possibility, too. They are similar. Marilyn's daughter has been active in her thread, so I have suggested she'd take a look at the Jane Doe victims of Shulman and Rifkin.

Marilyn Jean Mara's WS thread:
NY - NY - Marilyn Jean Mara, 35, Ridgewood, June 1, 1990

Yeah, I had a look at that thread! Her poor daughter, it’s really sad. :(

And definitely, I agree - I hope she has taken a look at the Jane Does.

Unfortunately this is one of the cases where LE doesn't make the list of exclusions public, so there's no way to know who has been looked at. Both your candidates look reasonable.

Dang, I wasn’t aware of that. I’m not in the U.S. and don’t have a NamUs account, but I will try and see if I can email with an inquiry. I love to see Does get their names back. There’s something beautiful about it.

Thanks for the info! :)

oh no I always thought there was an exclusion list with everyone .. that blows.

Not all LE agencies maintain an official list--often when one of us calls for information, the detective or ME has to go through the file looking to see who has been ruled out.

If there is a list, it's anybody's guess whether they take the time to track it in Namus. And if they put it in Namus, they might mark it so it's only viewable by LE and other official investigators.

I have to say that in my experience, New York City is one of the worst at doing anything with cold cases. They have such a huge city and so many current cases that the old ones just get pushed to the back time and again--over 10,000 unsolved murders since 1985 according to one source.

Los Angeles has the same problem only worse. The numbers are mind-boggling.

Not all LE agencies maintain an official list--often when one of us calls for information, the detective or ME has to go through the file looking to see who has been ruled out.

If there is a list, it's anybody's guess whether they take the time to track it in Namus. And if they put it in Namus, they might mark it so it's only viewable by LE and other official investigators.

I have to say that in my experience, New York City is one of the worst at doing anything with cold cases. They have such a huge city and so many current cases that the old ones just get pushed to the back time and again--over 10,000 unsolved murders since 1985 according to one source.

That's really unfortunate...I'm sorry to hear that. I'm from and live in Australia - things are a tiny bit different here, but our investigators aren't exceptional either. It really hurts my heart to think of all those poor people just being left behind nameless and mere statistics though. This has been my drive for the last 5-6 years after discovering this corner of the internet!

Anyway, I submitted an email inquiry with a few match suggestions to this UID female to the NamUs contact and they replied with the usual (what I've seen in these threads so far):

Thank you for your submission, we appreciate your time and support.

NamUs staff will review the submitted information. Additionally, we will notify the investigating agencies for their consideration if the agencies have not been previously notified.

Please note, identification and exclusions are only made and/or confirmed by investigating agencies. The results of comparisons may or may not be made available to the public for investigatory reasons.

I feel especially for this Doe regarding the circumstances. And as we have partial closure in knowing who killed her (although he died and didn't get to suffer the full effects of justice), she deserves to have her identity back also. Really hoping for something to come out of this, however, I also have sneaking (and sad) suspicion this woman wasn't properly reported missing after all these years.

On NYC...Yes I cannot agree with you any more!!!

Has anyone saw a thread on reddit at UnsolvedMysteries ?
Somebody who made a post about Yonker Jane Doe claims that is contacted by someone who believes that Yonker Jane Doe mighe be thier missing family member ?

Finger corssed :) hopefully she will get her name back soon too

Following, as above I also saw the Reddit post

Can somebody point me in the direction of that post and/or tell me some of its details?

ETA: Never mind, I found it.

Last edited:
Can somebody point me in the direction of that post and/or tell me some of its details?

ETA: Never mind, I found it.

I found it too, but it seems this was posted a year ago....or did I misinterpreted the message?

Gail Knowlton disappeared from Salem, MA in Jan'92, five months before Yonkers JD was murdered. I haven't found very much information on her disappearance besides what's shown in her WS thread. I strongly suspect she left home voluntarily. If so, I believe she may have ended up in/near Yonkers and is the match to these remains.

Gail has no exclusions listed on her NamUs profile. She and Yonkers JD match on every physical trait except Gail's eyes are listed as brown (vs. hazel for JD). Her NamUs profile doesn't mention a tattoo, but it doesn't exclude one either. She has multiple children, I'd say at least three (the 18-mo-old she left w/husband Edward & "children" from a prev marriage). This could explain the two C-section scars on YJD. It's hard to know because Gail's NamUs doesn't list any scars/marks/tattoos. The timeline, location, circumstances, and physical descriptors could go either way for me, but what really piques my curiosity is a comparison of her photo w/YJD's PM pics. Her nose, mouth, and the space between them, along with her eyebrows, forehead, and hairline all appear very similar, imo.

I wish Gail's photo was clearer and we'd have more info on her life and disappearance. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Please share your thoughts on Gail as a PM to Yonkers JD.

MA - MA - Gail Knowlton, 33, Salem, Jan 21, 1992
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

f88b163e-6c4f-40d2-8c1a-e197ed636efb.jpg
Original

gail-knowlton-Yonkers-JD.jpg
ETA - link to *GRAPHIC IMAGE*
gail-knowlton-Yonkers-JD

Last edited:
Gail Knowlton disappeared from Salem, MA in Jan'92, five months before Yonkers JD was murdered. I haven't found very much information on her disappearance besides what's shown in her WS thread. I strongly suspect she left home voluntarily. If so, I believe she may have ended up in/near Yonkers and is the match to these remains.

Gail has no exclusions listed on her NamUs profile. She and Yonkers JD match on every physical trait except Gail's eyes are listed as brown (vs. hazel for JD). Her NamUs profile doesn't mention a tattoo, but it doesn't exclude one either. She has multiple children, I'd say at least three (the 18-mo-old she left w/husband Edward & "children" from a prev marriage). This could explain the two C-section scars on YJD. It's hard to know because Gail's NamUs doesn't list any scars/marks/tattoos. The timeline, location, circumstances, and physical descriptors could go either way for me, but what really piques my curiosity is a comparison of her photo w/YJD's PM pics. Her nose, mouth, and the space between them, along with her eyebrows, forehead, and hairline all appear very similar, imo.

I wish Gail's photo was clearer and we'd have more info on her life and disappearance. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Please share your thoughts on Gail as a PM to Yonkers JD.

MA - MA - Gail Knowlton, 33, Salem, Jan 21, 1992
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

f88b163e-6c4f-40d2-8c1a-e197ed636efb.jpg
Original

gail-knowlton-Yonkers-JD.jpg
ETA - link to *GRAPHIC IMAGE*
gail-knowlton-Yonkers-JD
I definitely see it! Especially the temples, nose and eyes/eyebrows. I think the hairline is even similar. I’d say it’s worth submitting! :)

I definitely see it! Especially the temples, nose and eyes/eyebrows. I think the hairline is even similar. I’d say it’s worth submitting! :)

I agree that the facial features are really very similar, and that this would be worth submitting.

Thanks to both of you for your input! I called and left messages with Elayne Schwartz (Medicolegal Death Investigator) @ Westchester County Forensic Lab and Lt. Geiss @Yonkers PD Friday afternoon. Elayne Schwartz returned my call this morning. She and I discussed Gail's potential as a match to Yonkers JD. She has all of the information necessary to pass along to Lt. Geiss. She said she would reach out to him to ask him to contact me. He may or may not, but she sounded confident saying he's extremely dedicated to Yonkers JD's case. I feel certain he'll investigate in order to make a determination whether Gail is a match to YJD. Fingers crossed and prayers going up that YJD gets her name back and her family gets closure. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything more. Thanks again for the feedback. :)

I haven't been on WS as much as I used to, so I totally missed this. Great find, YaYa! Have you heard anything from Lt. (? guess he got promoted - NICE!) Geiss? I've talked to him in the past and he used to be really responsive, then kind of trailed off as I believe his case load kept increasing and he got busier and busier. But he has always been dedicated to Yonkers Jane's case.

Thanks to both of you for your input! I called and left messages with Elayne Schwartz (Medicolegal Death Investigator) @ Westchester County Forensic Lab and Lt. Geiss @Yonkers PD Friday afternoon. Elayne Schwartz returned my call this morning. She and I discussed Gail's potential as a match to Yonkers JD. She has all of the information necessary to pass along to Lt. Geiss. She said she would reach out to him to ask him to contact me. He may or may not, but she sounded confident saying he's extremely dedicated to Yonkers JD's case. I feel certain he'll investigate in order to make a determination whether Gail is a match to YJD. Fingers crossed and prayers going up that YJD gets her name back and her family gets closure. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything more. Thanks again for the feedback. :)

I haven't been on WS as much as I used to, so I totally missed this. Great find, YaYa! Have you heard anything from Lt. (? guess he got promoted - NICE!) Geiss? I've talked to him in the past and he used to be really responsive, then kind of trailed off as I believe his case load kept increasing and he got busier and busier. But he has always been dedicated to Yonkers Jane's case.
TY, @jessr927! Yes, I heard back from Det/Lt. Geiss (? Unsure if he's been promoted. I think Elayne referred to him as Lt, but I might have gotten mixed up with Lt. Costa, who is listed as investigator of Gail's MP case. My apologies to Mr. Geiss if I'm mistaken. :oops:).

Lt. Geiss appreciated the info and mentioned the difficulties w/attempts to make a match using photos and physical descriptors. Apparently genealogical research is currently underway with YJD's DNA, so he said he will wait for the results of that process. I subtly & respectfully urged him to contact investigators involved with Gail's case to see whether they had any biologics or information (e.g., DNA, dentals) that might help speed the process along. He sounded pretty insistent that he'd wait for the genealogy testing.:) I agree that the results would provide a definitive answer, although I wonder whether any of Gail's family would be in the database.

Today I spoke with Lt. Costa (MA State Police). He and I discussed Gail's case and the potential that she could be a match to YJD. He seemed very interested and assured me he would investigate further. As he requested, I emailed to him links to all of the information I could find for both YJD and Gail along with the enhanced photo comparison I posted above. I am confident that he and Lt. Geiss will together be able to answer whether YJD is Gail Knowlton. :)

I'll update here if/when I hear anything further.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back