Identified! NYC - Blk Fem 20-35 UP9629 found strangled on street feb 1989 - Viola Butler

Great job on making the connection YaYa_521 - a match is always bittersweet, but it really seems like Viola's family now has some closure and doesn't have to worry about her whereabouts anymore ❤️

Thanks, bombardier. I pray God comforts Viola's family and gives them the strength they'll need to get through this most difficult time in their lives. I'm so sorry they must endure this pain, but I agree with you that at least they now know where she's been and why.

Bless their hearts and may justice come quick and with a vengeance!​

Glad Viola got her name back and I hope her family continues the search to find out what happened to her and who did this.
Looks like a moderator can now update this thread as identified? @CarlK90245

I just don't understand how it took this long for a match to be made, both Voila and the unidentified woman were both entered into NamUs and were there for years, shouldn't there have been a DNA match?

Sometimes i think the NamUs system doesn't work as well as we like to think.

Hello All, new user here & I signed up because of this very thread. I understand that it's an old thread, but I was one of Viola Butler's co-workers on the night she went missing. We awaited her arrival but she never showed. Every few years I do a search for her name & this is the first time that I got a hit. I am in tears right now & my heart is full. In my mind I had resigned to the idea that she was deceased, but I always held out hope. I am devastated! There are some inconsistencies in the info here, but I'm guessing her daughter submitted DNA & had a positive match. Rest In Peace Viola.

I just want to say that the work done here was unbelievable! That you folks were able to so quickly solve this mystery when it has been an open case for over 30 years is just stunning. Makes me think LE never really put much energy into this case. A simple nationwide BOLO might have solved this back in '89. I am 5'9 and I remember Viola being several inches shorter than I, about 5'6. I don't recall us wearing uniforms. We worked in the uniform dept. of Bally's and were probably the only department that didn't wear uniforms. There were many uniforms, styles & colors for hundreds of employees, so the color of the logo at the time means nothing. Besides, it was gold, not tan. Viola did like wearing bright colors though (bright pink!) and she was a bit hyper. I didn't know her outside of work, but I do recall hearing that she had a young diabetic son. No one ever believed that Viola simply walked away from that child. Lots of rumors accompanied her disappearance that night, nothing panned out, no one was arrested. Thanks to you folks, her family finally got the closure they deserve.

I just want to say that the work done here was unbelievable! That you folks were able to so quickly solve this mystery when it has been an open case for over 30 years is just stunning. Makes me think LE never really put much energy into this case. A simple nationwide BOLO might have solved this back in '89. I am 5'9 and I remember Viola being several inches shorter than I, about 5'6. I don't recall us wearing uniforms. We worked in the uniform dept. of Bally's and were probably the only department that didn't wear uniforms. There were many uniforms, styles & colors for hundreds of employees, so the color of the logo at the time means nothing. Besides, it was gold, not tan. Viola did like wearing bright colors though (bright pink!) and she was a bit hyper. I didn't know her outside of work, but I do recall hearing that she had a young diabetic son. No one ever believed that Viola simply walked away from that child. Lots of rumors accompanied her disappearance that night, nothing panned out, no one was arrested. Thanks to you folks, her family finally got the closure they deserve.
Welcome to WS and thank you for giving us a little glimpse of what she was like! My condolences to all of her family and friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back