OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of the news stories, locals said that on Saturday nights like this people liked to congregate in large groups in the street outside the bars. Maybe the killer drove/walked around to the area with the biggest crowd.
Could be as well. These establishments draw huge crowds, and on pleasant evenings (like last night, beautiful weather) people walk and congregate through the district. We’ve had to park many blocks away and walk to restaurants here because all the parking, including street parking, has been full.

Thanks to the internet and other means of mass communication, there are many of these people now. Their views have become mainstream and are discussed in daily conversation, in the news media.

Photo from the scene this morning

EBIPZ_0XoAAf3MV

Omg. That picture really hits home.

CNN update has a statement from the owners of the bar

Dayton, Ohio: Multiple fatalies in mass shooting - CNN

"[T]he shooter started down the road and made his way towards our business. We have police regularly staffed next to our business who engaged the shooter and neutralized the threat.

"Dayton Police could not have done a better job responding to this senseless act of violence. We cannot commend them high enough," they wrote.

Thanks to the internet and other means of mass communication, there are many of these people now. Their views have become mainstream and are discussed in daily conversation, in the news media.

Photo from the scene this morning

EBIPZ_0XoAAf3MV

Thanks. I dont watch or read any online sites that urges extremism no matter who it is. I detest all forms of extremism.

I'm sure there are many social media sites who does push extremists views one way or the other. I wouldnt know because I have no interest in reading them, and definitely not searching them out.

I wish places like Twitter, Facebook, and powerful others would be more proactive shutting them down before something happens.

Omg, I did see a page on FB a year or so ago putout by antifa, and its was alarming what was being said. I notified FB, but nothing ever came of it even though many were making outright threats. I wound up blocking it where i couldn't see any of it. Promoting violence is something I will never want to see.

Never before have I seen so many comments on social media sites threatening to kill someone. Its heartbreaking because it has become so commonplace nowadays. I've reported some of them too for no one should ever be allowed to threaten anyone harm yet their comments were allowed to stay up.

How can that be in the acceptable guidelines for these sites?

If any of us dared to do such a horrible thing Tricia wouldnt tolerate it for one nano second.

Extremists no matter who they are shouldn't be given any platform to promote their hate, and divisiveness.

We saw the great harm extremism caused when congressmen were attacked when they were on the ballfield, and to innocent people killed while in their churches or going about their daily lives bothering no one..

It's destructive no matter who does it. If there hadn't been police officers at the ballfield that day it would have been another massacre.

It shows we owe so much to our law enforcement officers all across our nation.

Imo, we must return to civility, and go back to respecting each others views on whatever subject matter is being discussed. Now it seems these mass shooters believe murder is the only answer more than ever it seems.

Jmho

There were early posts on Twitter that the bouncer kept him out of the bar, and there were praises for the bouncer along with praises for the police.

Unconfirmed, as the posts mentioning the bouncer were NOT from MSM. There were quite a few from though. FWIW MOO
That is absolutely amazing bravery. I’ve also read someone took the rifle out of his hands on MSM but not sure if this is true or not.

Wasn't that Adam Lanza? Adam Lanza’s Terrifying Online Life Revealed: Mass Shooting Spreadsheets, Columbine Collages, and Murder Tumblrs

Overall violent crime is way down since the 70s/80s. "Using the FBI numbers, the violent crime rate fell 49% between 1993 and 2017. Using the BJS data, the rate fell 74% during that span." 5 facts about crime in the U.S.

It's not something about the younger generations being inherently evil or something. This particular crime is happening more often. There are several factors that might have contributed to that, which have been well discussed in the media. But an increase in narcissism/psychopathy rates in the population is likely not one of them.

But even so, the amount of mass shooters in the population is very small, as a percentage of total population. These crimes are just very high profile.

The violent crime rate has def dropped, but the frequency of public mass shooting events (there seem to be quite a few definitions, not always widely agreed upon) and their deadliness has risen markedly. One of the articles in my newsfeed this morning quotes a criminologist whose research shows that 41% of Americans now admit to fear of a mass shooting event — those are understandable but astonishing numbers (speech software not working on iPad so will plug in links later).

And each event disrupts and destroys so many lives for so long. I wonder if we have a real handle on the harm caused, let alone substantive solutions.

James Williams seems to have provided the most compelling eye witness account.

According to careful reading of his statements, he was sitting outside when the shooting began, and soon the gunman was trying to enter the bar.

In one statement, Willams mentioned that someone actually grabbed the gun from the gunman.

I remember reading after one mass shooting (can’t remember which one, there have been so many) investigations revealed that the shooter had compiled a list of the worst shooting incidents and number of victims, ranked in order. His internet search history included names of the shooters and number of fatalities. Any doubt that he wanted to make the top of the list?

As if it’s a real life game and he wants to level up. Absolutely evil! MOO

I would like to know why our society seems to be creating more narcissists, and psychopaths? Many of these mass shooters are younger in age.

Most seem to come from middle to upper class families. Commonly they are loners, misfits who do not get along with others. Often known as snitty putting others down in order to build themselves up. Thinking they are above all others, and much more intelligent. They feel they are blameless, and its always someone else's fault.

This goes much deeper than some targeted group.

Imo they are now leaving manifestos like the unibomber. Why? Imo, because they know long after they have murdered, and severely injured people their manifesto allows them to continue to create divisiveness which they know is tearing our country apart.

And sadly, IMO, so many fall for their evil games making them 'win' their wicked mind games far beyond when the mass shootings happen themselves.

Jmho
You ask good questions. If I knew how, I would love to research their childhoods and be a fly on the wall. In a lot of cases, my opinion is that it’s a mix of nature AND nurture creating it. MOO

How horrible! When I first read it, I thought, they made a mistake, 20 people haven't died! Then I realized that it was a different shooter. Is this going to be a weekend deal? Are the Gilroy, El Paso, and Dayton tragedies connected by anything? This is outrageous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus