OH OH - Alana 'Laney' Gwinner, 23, Fairfield, 10 Dec 1997

Retired detective shares new details on 1997 unsolved murder of Laney Gwinner
By Jessica Schmidt | September 25, 2019
" It was December 10, 1997 when Gwinner disappeared while leaving the Gilmore Bowling Alley in Fairfield.

The 23-year-old, investigators say, walked outside to her parked Honda Del Sol around 1 a.m. and was never seen alive again.

“She had finished her finals. She was out with a friend. They were playing pool, and she was leaving to go to her boyfriend’s house, but she never made it there," Hall said".
Several local agencies, including Texas EquuSearch, have never stopped looking for the vehicle. Smith said that overall, they have spent thousands of hours searching and scanning about 150 miles of water, as recently as within the last year and a half.

“It’s the worst game of hide and seek that you can ever play," Dave Rader, the Director of the Ohio Chapter of Texas EquuSearch said. "How can one or two know what a thousand can’t find?”

Since the beginning of the investigation, detectives have said that the car is a critical piece of evidence.

“Wherever that car went in at, whoever was driving that car, it obviously wasn’t Laney, then that suspect probably knew that area very well, and by that right there, really could be a game changer for us," Smith said.

PD6PSLOT2BBERH3MWKLR2UN2XE.JPG

This is Laney Gwinner's car authorities are still searching for. (Source: Provided)
"Retired detective Smith believes that someday soon, there will be an arrest. He suspects the person who ends up in handcuffs will be someone who still lives nearby. He also believes the killer may have done this more than once and could, if not caught, do it again.
“I have a feeling that one of these days it will get solved," Hall said."
"................
the latest information they have gathered is that a witness saw Gwinner speaking to someone outside of the bowling alley the night she disappeared.
The witness told them the man was wearing a dress shirt and dress pants and was about 5 ft. 9."

rbbm.

Aug 12 2020
Volunteers searching Ohio River for connection to unsolved murder of Laney Gwinner
''LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. (FOX19) - More than 20 years after Laney Gwinner disappeared and later found dead, volunteers are searching the Ohio River to look for her missing car.''

''To this day, Gwinner’s case remains unsolved, and her vehicle, a 1993 Honda Del Sol, has never been located.''

Hubbard is now teaming up with a retired detective and an experienced fisherman, Dustin Faul, to search the Ohio River for Gwinner’s car.

“I’m going to work very close with them from this day forward to help any way I can,” Faul said.

Faul, a cat-fisherman, said he is more than happy to donate his time and his tools to help with the search. Using sonar technology, their mission is to find the missing car.''

''Her brother, David Gwinner, shared a statement on Wednesday:

“The best way for me to describe what it means to myself and my family would be overwhelming gratitude. I can’t thank Randy, his class, and Mason High School enough. My sister’s case has been a roller coaster ride over the years with different detectives and individuals putting so much time and effort into it without being able to get to closure. The case has been quiet for some time now so having Randy, his team, and all those who have offered their help and support has brought a renewed sense of hope as well as a welcome reminder that while her case remains unsolved it’s still not forgotten.”

Anyone with information on the investigation is asked to call Fairfield Police at 513-829-8201 or the Butler County Sheriff’s Office at 513-785-1000.''

2019 rbbm
Retired detective shares new details on 1997 unsolved murder of Laney Gwinner
''Smith says that all signs point to a parking lot abduction. He believes Gwinner was attacked by a stranger who was motivated by a disturbing sexual desire.

“My own personal opinion in the case of Laney - it probably was sexual assault, but when whoever the suspect is attempted to take her, he had his hands full because she definitely was a fighter, and at that point he couldn’t complete the sexual assault, so he completed an act of homicide," Smith said.

Gwinner’s vehicle, Smith says, vanished the same night she did. To this day, the car has not been found.''

Last edited:
A group dedicated to helping solve this case took to the water Wednesday and started searching areas of interest.

Dusty Faul led the search. He's normally out trolling for catfish, but when asked to volunteer in this type of search, he was all in.

"I think it's more to bring closure, not only to the family, but to the students that has worked this. They've poured their heart out into this," Faul said.

Faul is talking about recent Mason High School students who began examining the case along with forensic science teacher, Randy Hubbard.

"It's a shame that somebody walks out the door never to bee seen again. It caught our hearts a little bit because we started talking to friends, and they were very gracious to talk to us and so forth, and then, we even talked to her brother," Hubbard said.
Search crews have searched the river multiple times before for her 1993 Honda Del Sol, but never located it.

"From what I gather, the car is the key thing," Hubbard said. "Where it would be is more important than anything."

While scanning the Great Miami River Wednesday, just up from the mouth of the Ohio River, Faul's sonar picked up an image of a car.

"I don't know what kind of car it is yet, but we have found a car," Faul said. "Looks like it's got a rounded back end on it, so it's an older model vehicle. This is showing a two-door. Actually, there's one of the doors partially open."

After logging the location of the car, Faul moved on to other locations of interest along the Ohio. No other cars of interest were found Wednesday. But, the search will continue. They say after examining some evidence, they would also like to check out a location on the river in Portsmouth.
New sets of eyes digging into 23-year-old cold case; WLWT goes along for search of Laney Gwinner's car

Not a lot of info, and some contradicting info/reports, imo..

I’ve read different accounts - was she walking to her car in the bowling alley parking lot, or was she walking to her boyfriend’s house from the bowling alley parking lot? How does LE know she didn’t make it to the boyfriend’s house?

Where in the river was her body found? Was it near Warsaw? That’s a long way from Fairfield. Were they thinking she was just dumped in / near the river at that location?

I also read that she was found during a search of the river for a police officer who went over the rail of the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge while chasing a suspect. Warsaw is a long way from the CWB Bridge as well. Did LE think the officer's body could have been carried that far downstream by the river current? If so, it seems LG could have been put in the river miles upstream of Warsaw.

Then I read that searches for the car were conducted in the Great Miami River, (I guess where it flows into the Ohio? idk..). But that’s even further away (and downstream) of Warsaw, and the CWB Bridge. Can anybody clarify?

Why does LE think her car is in the (or a) river? Her body was apparently found in/near the river, but I have not read why LE thinks her car might also be in the river - especially given the reports I read which indicate she was walking to her boyfriend’s house.

If the autopsy indicated she was dead before entering the water, again, why would they presume her car was also in the river? What am I missing? Tia

Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back