OH - Aliyah Myrick, 19 mos, Cincinnati, 7 Oct 2005 *Insanity*

Myrick's sister, Danyelle Myrick, said her brother has struggled with mental problems and the family had tried to get psychological help for him.

Police said Myrick was behaving oddly when they arrested him, staring blankly at times and letting his body go so limp that officers had to carry him. He was taken to the psychiatric unit at University Hospital.

Myrick was arrested in July and charged with criminal trespassing after he'd been asked to leave the house where the girl was taken. There was a warrant out for his arrest on that charge, police said.

Police said Myrick was being transported to the Hamilton County Justice Center Friday evening.
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/5075835/detail.html

meggilyweggily said:
I suppose they don't want to be seen publicly admitting fault in case of a possible lawsuit.

While I feel so sad for what happened to this baby, I feel the need to defend the police a little.
I am a police dispatcher... and I can't tell you how many times we are called regarding child custody arguements. It's always he said/she said..... Many times the parent "claims" that the other parent is unfit, abusive and/or mentally unstable... Many parents want to refuse visitation to the other parent. Many paretns want to file a complaint when the child is not returned 5 minutes past the agreed upon or court ordered time. They are usually advised to contact their attorney, not us. It's usually a civil matter that the police try not to get involved in unless there is some type of court order that is obviously being violated, even then, it gets touchy.
If there is no court order, BOTH parents have legal rights to the child and the
police CAN NOT tell one parent that they have to give the child to the other parent. It's a very touchy subject.
What happened to this baby girl is heartbreaking.... but I believe the police acted as they should have... They could not immediatly issue an amber alert - they had to get all the facts, court orders and history of these people.. It takes times...Unfortunately, this little girl lost her life because of it.

While I feel so sad for what happened to this baby, I feel the need to defend the police a little.
I am a police dispatcher... and I can't tell you how many times we are called regarding child custody arguements. It's always he said/she said..... Many times the parent "claims" that the other parent is unfit, abusive and/or mentally unstable... Many parents want to refuse visitation to the other parent. Many paretns want to file a complaint when the child is not returned 5 minutes past the agreed upon or court ordered time. They are usually advised to contact their attorney, not us. It's usually a civil matter that the police try not to get involved in unless there is some type of court order that is obviously being violated, even then, it gets touchy.
police CAN NOT tell one parent that they have to give the child to the other parent. It's a very touchy subject.
What happened to this baby girl is heartbreaking.... but I believe the police acted as they should have... They could not immediatly issue an amber alert - they had to get all the facts, court orders and history of these people.. It takes times...Unfortunately, this little girl lost her life because of it

lisag said:
What happened to this baby girl is heartbreaking.... but I believe the police acted as they should have... They could not immediatly issue an amber alert - they had to get all the facts, court orders and history of these people.. It takes times...Unfortunately, this little girl lost her life because of it.
First let me say Thank you for doing the job you do. I am sure it is not easy.

Now my comment:
Perhaps the policy needs to be rethought and in the future an officer dispatched to check on the safety of the child in cases of 911 calls. While police may not tell someone they can't have their child I thought that if an officer sees that the parent is obviously delerious he might be able to consider danger to the childs life & welfare or at least have the man brought in for 24 hour psych testing as many states laws allow. (Allegedly witnesses have said this man was talking wild and not making any sense at all so I am thinking that an officer sent to investigate the safety of the child might have seen that.) Please note that I am not bashing L.E. but only commenting that perhaps this sad event might be a wake up call that some policies need to be reexamined from time to time. My experience has been that good policies seldom spring forth in all their perfect splendor but rather seem to evolve over time.

SpongeBathHotPants said:
So let's do something! As much as I dislike him, Bill O'Reily is trying to get Jessica's Law passed. I will post the link below, let's put our heads together and do something! We are all caring and smart people and can be very loud if we want to be....

http://billoreilly.com/outragefunnels

I agree with your posts. I just heard about a case where an imnate took the jail to court because they denied him *advertiser censored*. Yes, he was in prison for "sexual assault." :confused:

lisag said:
What happened to this baby girl is heartbreaking.... but I believe the police acted as they should have... They could not immediatly issue an amber alert - they had to get all the facts, court orders and history of these people.. It takes times...Unfortunately, this little girl lost her life because of it

Darlin, I agree with you to a point (coming from a LE family myself :) ). The Amber alert would have been terrific; however, they should have sent a car or two over to check it out in the meantime.

Jeana (DP) said:
Darlin, I agree with you to a point (coming from a LE family myself :) ). The Amber alert would have been terrific; however, they should have sent a car or two over to check it out in the meantime.

Yes, I agree that a car should have been sent and an officer should have attempted to atleast make contact with both parties....

docwho3 said:
First let me say Thank you for doing the job you do. I am sure it is not easy.

Now my comment:
Perhaps the policy needs to be rethought and in the future an officer dispatched to check on the safety of the child in cases of 911 calls. While police may not tell someone they can't have their child I thought that if an officer sees that the parent is obviously delerious he might be able to consider danger to the childs life & welfare or at least have the man brought in for 24 hour psych testing as many states laws allow. (Allegedly witnesses have said this man was talking wild and not making any sense at all so I am thinking that an officer sent to investigate the safety of the child might have seen that.) Please note that I am not bashing L.E. but only commenting that perhaps this sad event might be a wake up call that some policies need to be reexamined from time to time. My experience has been that good policies seldom spring forth in all their perfect splendor but rather seem to evolve over time.

Even though I stated that child custody is usually a civil matter and very touchy (there I go again using that word) due to the mothers concerns at the time of her call, the officers should have atleast been sent to do a welfare check on the child....

The father could have been placed on some type of mental hold if the police felt he was a hreat to himself or others..

lisag said:
Yes, I agree that a car should have been sent and an officer should have attempted to atleast make contact with both parties....
I totaly agree with you!!
especially with the mother crying and being franctic ...
this mother was frantic from what I understand ...
the guy was running with the baby.
No dispatcher has the right to judge.

If I called and said my house is on fire, is it ok for the dispatcher to not send a fire truck because it could possibly maybe be a false alarm.

Just do your job, don't pick and choose who gets the police and who doesn't.
What if it was your child?

Just because "some" cases may be child custody disputes does not mean ALL are.

I can't believe anyone is defending the dispatcher.
I hope if I call 911 I never get such a person handling my emergency.
That's incompetence in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying Lisa. The whole situation just pisses me off is all.

(Another possible factor in my anger: recently I called the police to report an emergency, a friend who was suicidal and really needed help. Right away I was dismissed as a nutcase. The police did at least go to my friend's house but they totally did not believe me and didn't even really try to verify or disprove my claims. They were like, "Some crazy girl called us and said you were suicidal. Are you suicidal? You're not? Oh, okay, we'll go away then. Yeah, we figured she was a nutter." So my friend has not got the help that she needs, and there's really nothing else I can do.)

I've seen Amber Alerts issued with no info available -- someone thought they saw a child abduction, they weren't sure, nobody even knew the name of the alleged child involved, and then, what do you know, it turned out there was no kidnapping and possibly no child either and the alert was wasted.

But here we have a case where we know who the child is, we know who abductor is, we know what they look like, we know where they are going, sort of, and no alert was issued for six hours. I would rather the police have taken a chance and issued the alert without taking six hours to fact-check, and if the mom was lying, then deal with her later. Ensuring the safety of the child should be paramount. I mean, if a woman calls 911 and says burglars shot her husband and it looks like he's dying, the police don't demand she produce a marriage license as proof that he's her husband, do they? They send someone over to help the guy out first.

Yall, I merged the two threads discussing this case. I was trying to save Lisa from a heart attack!!! Having to go back and forth to say the same things . . . too much!!!!

This infuriates me. :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: How can someone harm an innocent baby???? :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

God bless this little angel's soul. :angel:

Like I said earlier, LE in this area will not enforce a civil order- custody, divorce, or even a civil court restraining order (the only restraining orders they will enforce is a criminal court restraining order). They will sometimes go along in a peacekeeping role, but that even varies by dept, some won't even do that.
They maintain that they enforce criminal orders and criminal complaints and otherwise they won't be involved unless they choose to act as peacekeepers.
I would love to see that changed. But I have no idea where to even start the process of getting it changed.

mysteriew said:
Like I said earlier, LE in this area will not enforce a civil order- custody, divorce, or even a civil court restraining order (the only restraining orders they will enforce is a criminal court restraining order). They will sometimes go along in a peacekeeping role, but that even varies by dept, some won't even do that.
They maintain that they enforce criminal orders and criminal complaints and otherwise they won't be involved unless they choose to act as peacekeepers.
I would love to see that changed. But I have no idea where to even start the process of getting it changed.

Mom needs to file a civil suit and once she wins (either in court or out), then she lobbies for them to change the way they operate - usually large settlements take care of this all by themselves. ;) Its simple.

mysteriew said:

Thats about how it is handled where I work too.

"A father who called his little girl the "daughter of Satan" kidnapped and killed her, dumping her body in a Mt. Auburn park, police said.

Police said 19-month-old Aliyah Starling Myrick was kidnapped from 649 West McMicken Avenue by her non-custodial father, Darius Myrick, around 9 p.m. Thursday. Aliyah's mom called police saying she was afraid Darius would hurt Aliyah. She told police Darius called her "Satan" and also called Aliyah the "daughter of Satan." "

Plus, from another story:

""I heard someone screaming, 'He stole my baby. Please call the police,'" neighbor Elizabeth Morgan said. "When I looked out, I saw a black male carrying the baby, running down the street."

Morgan tried to help Aliyah's mother, Lanetta Myrick, get the child back.

"I came outside and tried to chase the guy in my car, and the mother got in my car," Morgan said.

They caught up with Darius Myrick down the block.

"At that point, we got out and tried to coax him into giving us the child," Morgan said. "He wouldn't, so we called 911."

I guess those words in bold were not enough for the dispatcher to "dispatch" police? :doh:

I don't care what the rules are ... I call it a common disregard for humanity.
And a child is dead now.

I think we ought to send a link to this thread to the police adminstration there. Let them see how other people see them and their policies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back