GUILTY OH - Ashley Zhao, 5, Jackson Township, 10 Jan 2017

[video=twitter;819027757246062592]https://twitter.com/AmaniAbraham/status/819027757246062592[/video]

A question I have is WHY did they even bring her to the restaurant?
It just doesn't make sense. But then, the whole thing doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

I am guessing if they had no one to open the restaurant on all their days off, they had no babysitter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could've sworn that I read it, but I can't find it now. Maybe I was imagining it? :thinking:

Seems I remember someone suggesting it here in the earlier threads, but was just a speculation. I could be wrong, of course.

What kind of time would the father be looking at if found guilty? I know nothing about American law clearly! Tia

What kind of time would the father be looking at if found guilty? I know nothing about American law clearly! Tia

A person convicted of complicity is subject to the SAME punishment as the person who committed the underlying offense. So if convicted, the father will be sentenced as though he actually committed the murder and actually committed the felonious assault.

A person convicted of complicity is subject to the SAME punishment as the person who committed the underlying offense. So if convicted, the father will be sentenced as though he actually committed the murder and actually committed the felonious assault.

Wow I had no idea. Thank you.

Yep!! Really depends on the state but that's pretty much it!!

Complicity in Ohio

[FONT=&quot]Accomplices are liable to prosecution and punishment as principal offenders. For example, an accomplice to aggravated murder is liable to the death penalty the same as the actual murderer. [/FONT]

It also depends on the prosecutor and what charges they decide to pursue. The maximum is the same as the principal offender, but a lesser offense can also be pursued. However, in the death of a child I suspect they'll go for the maximum on both parents since that's what usually happens.

Seems the family members might be going through evaluation to determine if they would make acceptsble guardians of the 6 yar old sister.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170112/ashley-zhaos-sister-to-remain-in-county-custody

Jerry Coleman, assistant deputy director of legal services for Job and Family Services, said the agency continues to evaluate potential placement options with the girl's relatives. Criminal background checks and other reviews will be conducted, he said. Job and Family Services did not have prior involvement with Ashley's family, Coleman said.

ETA: this may have caused a bit of confusion, too.
"
Police and BCI were seen seizing evidence from the family's restaurant and apartment late Tuesday evening."

"
Any discovery in the case would be filed under seal, keeping any information locked away until the conclusion of the case."

http://www.fox19.com/story/34254706/many-unanswered-questions-in-the-murder-investigation-of-5-year-old-ashley-zhao

IMO . It's just sad they would go through so much effort to hide her rather than get help. I will say one thing that stands out to me is the 'green fluid' coming from her mouth. I don't know too much about brain injuries but I did my best to research it but cant see what the connection was. Unless she was already sick. When the restaurant page kept mentioning the mother being sick, maybe it was the little girl who was sick a lot and they needed to look after her. But stated it was the mother to avoid suspicions. WHat if the mother hit the girl but she had a weakened immune system, or was to weak to handle the abuse leading to her death. This is just MO.
She probably had an empty stomach, and the head injuries caused her to vomit bile. Vomiting is a very common symptom of a concussion. I posted a link yesterday.

personal opinion - I can't stand this couple - they look so freakin blank in their mugshots. no remorse, nothing. they make my blood boil.
To me, she looks vacant, hopeless. He looks hard, cold. I'm a bit behind on this, and I know the mother is charged w/the murder but I don't entirely trust that 100%, just yet. Maybe the reason she's been sick a lot is from "accidents". I've known women who were physically and verbally abused. Their husbands/bfs expected them to tow the line. Even when their spouse went into labor it was all about the inconvenience to them. Just a thought.

To me, she looks vacant, hopeless. He looks hard, cold. I'm a bit behind on this, and I know the mother is charged w/the murder but I don't entirely trust that 100%, just yet. Maybe the reason she's been sick a lot is from "accidents". I've known women who were physically and verbally abused. Their husbands/bfs expected them to tow the line. Even when their spouse went into labor it was all about the inconvenience to them. Just a thought.

I've been in a physically and emotionally abusive relationship. From what I've read on WS it sounds to me like the wife could easily be the controlling and abusive person in this family. JMO based on my experience and the info that's been released.

Community reacts to Ashley Zhao's parents' behavior in courtroom

What some have described as emotionless or cold behavior have led to questions surrounding cultural differences in the murder case of 5-year-old Ashley Zhao.

Mingming Chen and Liang Zhao, both facing murder charges, appeared in court the morning after their daughter was found inside their Chinese restaurant in Jackson Township. A day after that, the parents arrived in court once again in a custody hearing for Ashley’s 6-year-old sister. Not much in the parent’s demeanor changes with the exception of what appeared to be MingMing Chen staring in the direction of Ashley’s father. The behavior has left some wondering if cultural differences plays a role.

~snipped

Video at link: https://www.google.com/amp/www.wkyc...behavior-in-courtroom/385913013?client=safari

I've been in a physically and emotionally abusive relationship. From what I've read on WS it sounds to me like the wife could easily be the controlling and abusive person in this family. JMO based on my experience and the info that's been released.

Yeah, I think something was going on there. Of course, we don't know if they abused each other or not. We only know Ashley suffered abuse. I do think their home life was likely full of abuse. From who, not sure. But in my experience, when a child dies from abuse...it was not the first time they have been abused. And often there is a destructive relationship between partners.

All JMO.

I may be reading more into this, but it seems to me police had a suspicion early on that the girl was in that restaurant the while time:

Brink explained that while officers and firefighters were searching the area around the restaurant for any sign of the girl the police department intentionally left an officer at the restaurant in case it needed to be searched again.

"We had an officer stay with that building the entire time from the time that this crime was reported or the missing child was reported until we found that child and the reason is we believe that we were going to have to search that building again; we did not want anybody to be able to do anything with that building during that time. So eventually we would have taken a second look at that building, but we would have searched in other places because by that time you would know you don't simply have a child that walked away," said Brink.

http://fox8.com/2017/01/11/it-rips-your-heart-out-jackson-township-police-talks-about-horrific-ending-to-search-for-girl/

I really do believe that cultural differences played some role in this tragedy.

Even without knowing exactly what happened to Ashley or what went on in their home, it's SO easy for us (myself included) to see this as cut-and-dried. We've seen this too many times before - parents killing a child. Lock 'em up, who cares about the "why".

I haven't read too much about this yet, but did find a couple of interesting articles. I hope they are acceptable links. If not and anyone is interested, just google "chinese culture, parenting", "chinese culture, mental illness", etc.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/239128-chinese-culture-parenting/

[h=2]A Shame-Socialized Culture[/h] Generally speaking, Chinese parents use psychological control as a child-rearing tactic, often in instances of teaching or discipline. Many Chinese parents use shame as a model for instilling principles of right and wrong in their children. In comparison to American and Western styles of parenting, in which praise and positive reinforcement are emphasized to protect and promote self-esteem, Chinese parents tend to focus on the negative behavior and decisions of the child. Chinese parents may scold or even physically punish the child for the bad behavior.

And:

http://www.newsweek.com/mental-illness-may-go-untreated-asian-americans-87613

Potential patients who don't seek out mental-health help, and even some who do, may turn to alternative remedies. They go to fortune-tellers like the ones who sit outside a park a few blocks away from the Wang Center, hawking guidance and insight with Chinese written boldly on the faded red drop cloths behind them. Others turn to activities like tai chi or traditional medications for help. Not all of these options are harmful; in fact, treatments like acupuncture and yoga are often beneficial, Fang says.
In some cases, though, these alternative remedies can worsen mental conditions. Two years ago, Fang saw a pregnant schizophrenic woman whose relatives were adamant that her symptoms came from bad spirits and wanted her to perform rituals at a temple to get rid of the spirits. But performing the rituals made the woman's symptoms worse--she began to hallucinate about the spirits--and when she eventually came to the Wang Center, "it was even hard for us to say, 'Take medications,' because the spirits in her hallucinations were telling her, 'You shouldn't eat those things'," Fang recalls. Eventually, the woman's husband was able to persuade her to go on medication, and the woman improved significantly through the course of her pregnancy.

I don't know if any of this is even relevant in this case. We don't know that either parent has any type of mental illness, and Mingming shouldn't have even been here. I certainly know that cultural differences are not an excuse, but I would really like to understand this a little better.

Since it doesn't seem that we are going to get much more info about this until the trial, I guess I'll just keep scratching my head. Bottom line, though, is that this should not have happened and both parents need to be punished severely. I always feel like unless we understand the "why", we can't do a darn thing to prevent it from happening again and that bothers me. Anyone is free to tell me that I'm overthinking this, bad habit of mine. :gaah:

Her husband was a U.S. citizen,but I'd guess she'd not gotten a green card, and attempted to gain citizenship? After three years as a permanent resident she could have attempted to become a citizen. Her youngest daughter was five, and eldest, six. Would she not have feared having to return w/o them?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back