Found Deceased OH - Brenda Sue Black, 25 to 27, Vandalia, 1 Jan 1980 *ID’d in 2022*

Wow. Just, wow. I'm shook. I've been following Brenda's case for a bit. I'm glad for her family she's been found, they have my deepest sympathies.

I thought for sure she was Riverside Jane Doe, based on the resemblance. Never would have guessed she was the Will County Jane Doe, based on the composite. She was found only about 6 or so hours away from home.

It's possible that either Brenda's family's DNA or the Jane Doe's DNA weren't in CODIS, but one was held locally. I don't know. Was the the set of remains in CODIS? I don't think I followed that case. When DNA is available, we don't always know which database it's stored in. If they both were in CODIS, then whoever is in charge of it has some explaining to do.

@othram - Excellent work! Do you know if Brenda and the unidentified remain's DNA were both in CODIS?

One thing is for sure is someone in her family had their DNA profile on a public family DNA site.

Wow. Just, wow. I'm shook. I've been following Brenda's case for a bit. I'm glad for her family she's been found, they have my deepest sympathies.

I thought for sure she was Riverside Jane Doe, based on the resemblance. Never would have guessed she was the Will County Jane Doe, based on the composite. She was found only about 6 or so hours away from home.

It's possible that either Brenda's family's DNA or the Jane Doe's DNA weren't in CODIS, but one was held locally. I don't know. Was the the set of remains in CODIS? I don't think I followed that case. When DNA is available, we don't always know which database it's stored in. If they both were in CODIS, then whoever is in charge of it has some explaining to do.

@othram - Excellent work! Do you know if Brenda and the unidentified remain's DNA were both in CODIS?

One thing is for sure is someone in her family had their DNA profile on a public family DNA site.
There was a DNA profile for the unidentified remains. Many women were excluded over the years. Not sure about Brenda's family.

Wow. I just went back over the thread.
Nate_Bro suggested Will County Jane Doe back in Feb. 2019, but not sure if he submitted the possible match.
@Nate_Bro - did you send this to NamUs back then, by chance?
Also, I'm almost certain Brenda did have a DNA profile in CODIS.
How was this missed, I wonder?

In 2021, the Will County, Illinois Coroner’s Office sent samples of the unidentified female from the 1981 death investigation to the Othram Laboratory in Texas for full genome sequencing and forensic genealogy testing.

“The case was investigated over the years and many missing women were eliminated by DNA comparisons. The case eventually went cold,” Duchak said.

The lab’s work led to some investigative leads for the Miami County Sheriff’s Office on the missing person case of Brenda Black, Duchak said. The Will County Coroner’s Office would later obtain a DNA sample from Brenda’s daughter which led to confirming the skeletal remains were those of Brenda Black.

Law enforcement in Illinois are continuing to investigate the death of Brenda Black.

“The Miami County Sheriff’s Office urges the public to report missing persons and to provide DNA samples to aid law enforcement to find missing family members,” Duchak said.

If you have any details that could help investigators in the death investigation of Brenda Black, you’re asked to contact Miami County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Steve Lord at 937-440-3980
Local woman missing since 1980s identified in cold case death investigation in Illinois

The Will County Coroner’s Office in Illinois identified the skeletal remains of a female found along I-80 in April 1981 as Brenda S. (Olinger) Black, according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.

The identification was made using similar technology developed during the Miami County Sheriff’s Office’s investigation into the Buckskin Girl case.

The Will County Coroner’s Office sent samples from the remains to the Othram Laboratory to process the full genome sequencing and for forensic genealogy testing last year. The investigation led to data entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) and Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) by the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.
bbm
Miami Valley woman identified in 40-year-old Illinois cold case

The Will County Coroner’s Office in Illinois identified the skeletal remains of a female found along I-80 in April 1981 as Brenda S. (Olinger) Black, according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.

The identification was made using similar technology developed during the Miami County Sheriff’s Office’s investigation into the Buckskin Girl case.

The Will County Coroner’s Office sent samples from the remains to the Othram Laboratory to process the full genome sequencing and for forensic genealogy testing last year. The investigation led to data entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) and Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) by the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.
bbm
Miami Valley woman identified in 40-year-old Illinois cold case
We were excited to help! Thanks for sharing this.

This thread mentions that her family had DNA in the system - I wonder how the dots weren't connected sooner.
I have come to find many matches wherethere was dna from MP's family and from the doe but dots aren't connected. I wonder why too..

Makes me distrust when the response from NamUs or anyone else is "dna once entered goes through the all the databases" etc..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Contrary Marge
Back