OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I am re-listening to Kelly’s interview with Ret. Sgt. Hurst.
Hurst in his own words says that LE “put a ping” on Brian’s phone the Monday after his disappearance. It did ping twice. It could be 3 times though because he mentions a “west side ping” a “Kenny Ln ping” and Kelly brings up the search at Scioto-Darby Creek and he is a bit vague if that was due to a ping. So that is a question mark on that one.
Hurst himself and another LEO “Edwards” checked Kenny Ln according to Hurst due to the ping there.
Kelly asked if any of the pings were Sat. Or Sunday but he doesn’t say yes or no.
He does say the phone did not communicate with any towers in the morning of the disappearance. He doesn’t give an exact answer.
He says they can only speculate as to why the phone was not in communication, powered down, dead battery, etc.

Last edited:
Hurst said at that time a phone could ping off a tower 20 miles away too. I don’t really know what to make of all of this other than the phone appeared to be in the Columbus, Ohio area for a time after Brian’s disappearance. I also got the impression Hurst was holding information back.

Last edited:
I am not sure why people think drunk people like to get in dumpsters, garbage cans, etc while drunk. Dumpsters aren’t appealing to most people drunk or sober.

This guy did it: Drunk man survives being compacted in dumpster TWICE after falling asleep inside recycling box | Daily Mail Online

And it appears that this guy did as well: Disappearance of Corrie McKeague - Wikipedia

But I agree with you that it's not at all common, and I tend to think it's not the explanation here.

It seems odd to me that we have never heard from any of the people working the construction site. They'd be the best witnesses to what the site was like at the time Brian disappeared. Hurst didn't see it until a couple of days later, and it could have been transformed quite a bit by then.

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I have posted here. I love how many conversations have happened since I’ve been gone. I see there are still a lot of questions about the phone pinging. I am working on answers for everyone and will have an episode of the podcast coming out within the next month explaining this from someone more qualified than myself. Friday there will be an episode about Brian on Unfound Podcast. It’s an interview I did with my friend Ed, who is the host. Lol. It’s a very long interview. In September the CNN show, Real Life Nightmares will feature an hour long segment on Brian’s disappearance as well. I’m still working behind the scenes with a great team that I have put together. The pings are our primary focus with some new small details that have come to light. I’m crossing my fingers that this will lead to something!!

Thank you for clarifying Merry B. Was his phone charger ever located? (Not that another charger cord could've been used that following week.) I'm truly stumped by the phone pings'meaning. I keep wondering what his brother D.'s belief is. He and girlfriend knew Brian best, aside from dad no longer with us, or Clint?
We know the cell phone charger was at Brian’s apartment plugged into the wall when he went missing. However, no one can/will tell me if the charger was there after the apartment break in.

Kelly (former poster looking4brian) was interviewed for a missing person show in regard to Brian. It will be on CNN airing in September. She had said previously Oxygen was interested in putting something together on Brian but only if there would be new information dropped.
If would be great of the public was given new info but I doubt that will be the case. These specials are usually just rehashes of what is already known. We will see. She has done a lot of work to keep people interested in Brian and that is a good thing either way.
I’m sure there will be a lot of rehashing with a couple new to the public details. I’m grateful for any attention Brian’s case gets and hope my work helps bring answers one day!

Kelly has discussed the cell phone data both in her interviews with Detective Hurst on her podcast “Brian Shaffer: Dead or Alive?” and in frequent discussions as @Looking4Brian in past threads here on WS. I suggest you review these if you’d like to clarify information with which you may have missed.
IMO it’s a waste of time to argue facts.
Here are a few quick snippets just to refute the implication I’m making things up:

“CPD placed a pinging service through Cingular on Monday April 3, 2006. There was nothing on Saturday after 2:11 a.m. until Monday evening. It appeared the phone was shut off and came back on. The pings started that Monday evening. The Pinging service was put on the phone for 30 days. There were multiple pings throughout the 30 days.” Thread #4 11/3/19

“For the remainder of the 30 days the phone continued to communicate with the ping service. After the 30 days we have no information.” Thread #4 11/20/19

‎Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive: Chapter Three: The Inside Track on Apple Podcasts

Thank you! Yes John Hurst can be heard explaining the phone pings in small details on the podcast. We have had several phone and text conversations when we weren’t recording that have a few more details on the pings and locations of the towers. These pings are what my team are currently working on.

Sorry, that’s incorrect.
You are right. There was a directional flow that was reported as part of the data packet that was sent to Brian’s phone from Cingular wireless. CPD was then given a report that detailed everything including the signal strength or distance to each tower pinged and the directional flow or movement to the towers.

I’m sorry you feel this way. I try to be as unbiased as possible when investigating all the theories. The facts I have learned along with conversations I have had often lead me to lean one way more than another.
With all due respect, you seem to want badly to believe that Brian is still alive. There have been times when you've drawn conclusions that point in that direction a little too quickly, with scant evidence or with evidence that could just as easily be interpreted differently. You seem to be guilty of confirmation bias at times.
I don't want Brian to be dead, but I don't want him to be alive either—I don't wish for any particular outcome; I just want to go where the evidence takes me.

With all due respect, you seem to want badly to believe that Brian is still alive. There have been times when you've drawn conclusions that point in that direction a little too quickly, with scant evidence or with evidence that could just as easily be interpreted differently. You seem to be guilty of confirmation bias at times.
I don't want Brian to be dead, but I don't want him to be alive either—I don't wish for any particular outcome; I just want to go where the evidence takes me.
Lol. I actually agree with you about something! Sometimes I do let the circumstantial evidence pointing to Brian being alive excite me a little too much, but all theories are always present in my investigation. If you remember I have always said I either believe Brian walked away from his life or he was killed by someone he knew. I don’t touch base on the latter due to the can of worms it would open with the person I suspect. Without proof, it’s just another theory with circumstantial evidence that makes it plausible.

I don't want Brian to be dead, but ....

Yikes. Probably should have stopped there.

Whatever the truth may be.. for Derek, Brian’s nephews and Brian’s remaining family/friends’ sakes if anyone doesn’t want him to be alive on a human level what are we doing here?

Thanks for the updates Kelly @Looking4Brian . Your hard work will pay off!

Yikes. Probably should have stopped there.

Whatever the truth may be.. for Derek, Brian’s nephews and Brian’s remaining family/friends’ sakes if anyone doesn’t want him to be alive on a human level what are we doing here?

Thanks for the updates Kelly @Looking4Brian . Your hard work will pay off!
I'm here to solve the case. I don't even think in terms of wishing for a particular outcome. I only care about analyzing the evidence.

I'm here to solve the case. I don't even think in terms of wishing for a particular outcome. I only care about analyzing the evidence.

Have you found anything so far suggesting he even got out of the Gateway building that night? Donno what to make of Hurst’s comment that he probably got exited out. What does it even mean .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member