OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an aside, the band was on camera in the hallway and in the parking lot without Brian.
That aside supports the theory I posited, which is that Brian failed to connect with the band (because he went the wrong way and ended up in the construction area).

You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask again: If Brian entered the construction area accidentally, then what do you think most likely happened to Brian?

I understand that you think Brian's mysterious exit was deliberate; I'm not asking you to expound further upon that theory.

That aside supports the theory I posited, which is that Brian failed to connect with the band (because he went the wrong way and ended up in the construction area).

You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask again: If Brian entered the construction area accidentally, then what do you think most likely happened to Brian?

I understand that you think Brian's mysterious exit was deliberate; I'm not asking you to expound further upon that theory.

It’s hard to choose. There’s been rumors I can’t mention (because of forum rules) that suggest he could have had a conflicted relationship with someone who was at the bar that night. I tend to think the most likely scenario is he went out the fire exit or stumbled through the construction site and exited there. Maybe he was tired of present company or wanted some space...or didn’t want the good times to end. And that he later ended up dead, accidentally or deliberately, in part bc he had so much alcohol in his system and may have made some poor decisions. Choosing a specific cause of death would be further guessing, but I guess I would see accidental death as most likely (whether it was alcohol poisoning, drowning, or even a fist fight that went wrong). Out of those, I lean toward a substance related death that someone covered up.

My own understanding is based on multiple interviews with multiple parties, including both police officers and Brian's family/girlfriend who were present during some of the police work and spoke highly of officers' relentless dedication to the case.

Brian was last seen on the wee hours of April 1st. Police released the information to the media on April 3. By April 4, they were already showing the family enlarged freeze frames from the security footage to see if anyone could identify Brian. Given many missing persons' cases, where disappearances aren't even officially registered until 48 hours later, this was a very prompt police response.

Police's initial search from top to the bottom, as described by officers, included every nook and cranny of Ugly Tuna. They marked areas related to all exit paths to be searched by cadaver dogs to see if a body had ever been in any of them. The family was allowed to bring in private search dogs on two days, one German Shepherd and a team of 4 other dogs. The police also took dogs through and around the building, including the campus grounds and riverside in days to come. Texas Equu search was given access to the building. In the months to come when he did not turn up, they brought in dogs additional times--one of which was in September--which, to me and to Brian's family interviewed at the time, showed their remarkable dedication.

At no point did dogs hit in the construction site.

I'm certainly not saying there's no chance Brian's body could be in the building. We definitely have seen a few exceptional cases like that in the media. I'm just saying given the quick response and extensiveness of the searches by multiple parties, it makes more sense--in my opinion--to focus on exploring more likely avenues.

I think the most likely explanation is Brian went over the balcony or out the fire exit or squeezed through the construction site to the exit...and met his demise, perhaps accidentally and perhaps, in part, due to being inebriated.

Sorry I can't snip and bold easily on my tablet, so BessDrew's full quote is here.

I'll preface my post by saying I, too, think Brian is in the building somewhere, probably in/under what at the time was the construction area. An accidental death in the construction area which may or may not have been knowingly concealed.

According to BessDrew's post, Brian went missing in the wee hours of April 1. Two days later, the story goes to the media. Three days later, LE has the family look at the surveillance video. I, like Ozoner, would like to know when LE's initial search of the building happened, which isn't addressed above. Was it as soon as a missing person report was filed? Or three (four?) days later after family confirmed Brian didn't appear to have left via the normal exits?

I mentioned before, if the construction involved digging and pouring footings for a new building, that means trenches were being dug down below frost line--four or five feet deep. Such footings would also require a lot of rebar, some which would be laid horizontally, but also vertically to tie into the concrete pad (what would become the floor of the new building. Falling onto exposed rebar could be deadly. Imagine a deep trench with metal rods straight up from the bottom of the trench, and it could be a recipe for disaster.

If the new building was going to have a basement, then there are more areas to be concerned about, especially if the basement walls were a poured cement wall (two parallel walls with a large cavity between, into which concrete would be poured) rather than a concrete block wall.

It is not inconceivable to me, at all, that the construction foreman and/or construction company might have very good reason to cover up an accident on their site, cover up both physically (found Brian deceased in the area and covered him up) and knowledge-wise (no, officer, we haven't seen anything suspicious). If the company or the foreman had been cited for safety violations in the past, or their livelihood was at stake, who knows what might have seemed a good idea at the time.

Or, the construction crew didn't see Brian's body or know anything about him, and went about their business, unknowingly concealing Brian in the process.

IIRC, at some point after Brian's disappearance, an area near or around the movie theater (?) had a horrible odor. Is this true, and what ever came from that? I have never read an explanation for the odor, and the timing of such an odor sure makes me wonder.

Even sober people make bad choices and get hurt or killed, so it is not hard for me to believe that Brian (who had been drinking for a few hours) made an error in judgment in the construction area, and ended up "disappeared."

Windrower - nice post. A few thoughts:

* I think it is entirely possible that Brian, if he stumbled into a hole/trench in the 'completely dug up' (to me that means holes/piles and exposed not yet fully paved ground floor) construction area, may have been buried by loosened fill following in after him by force of gravity (i.e., not buried in cover up, not buried accidentally by contractor crew, but buried in conjunction with fall). Buried, suffocated, dead, not visible to naked eye, and calls going straight to voicemail due to phone getting no signal due to soil blocking any signal. Anyone who's ever shoveled a bit of dirt knows how heavy it is. A cubic foot of topsoil weighs around 40 lbs., a cubic foot of gravel around 100 lbs., a cubic yard around 2,700 lbs. People suffocate on beaches every summer in tunnel collapses. Dirt, sand and gravel are very heavy.
* I'd be willing to bet the construction crew, when they showed up for work either Sat. morn or Mon. morn had no idea someone had gone missing in the building or that a likely inebriated patron of the bar in the building may have entered their work area, alone, and was conceivably potentially buried on site. Had they had some inkling, the case might potentially have been solved then and there mere hours after Brian went missing, and before paving of floors was completed.
* I posted a few months ago about the issue of stench in building. I'd heard there'd been a stench reported, and I was checking old 2007 Yelp reviews for the theatre business operated just to the north of the UTS, and found one reviewer who commented about an awful stench. Yelp was a new thing then. Had it been better known in 4/2006, perhaps there'd be more reviews commenting about stench. I'm sure people would have assumed any stench arose from either the theatre kitchen or the UTS. I'd suppose that locals in April 2006 weren't thinking that 'that missing guy' may still have been on the premises, much less dead. Today, with the knowledge that in the intervening 12 years there's been not a shred of evidence Brian was at any point outside the building after 2am 4/1/06, the prospect that Brian died in the building and his remains are still there seems much less remote.

Maybe Brian Shaffer's remains aren't under the building. Maybe they are. Me, I think they probably are. And if they are, they can be located and recovered, if the will to make that happen exists.

Last edited:
I have a question, for you and for Ozoner et al.....
Why is it you are so dead set on this idea he is buried somewhere in the construction site? I really want to know!

Do you guys know something you need to share with LE? ! Otherwise, I’m rather curious why are you so adamant about it, because honestly, it seems far fetched to me, jmo.

Otherwise, then its a theory, right?

So, IMO , I suppose anything is possible, but it’s a less plausible theory than something happening to him after he exited the building. Or, that he left with a plan, purposely on his own.
But admittedly I have very few facts, so just a theory and MOO. Thanks for the Interesting discussion though, stimulates the senses. :).

If we are going to look at probabilities, however, we must look at some numbers:

Number of people who died inside a structure never to be seen again: 4,231 (made up)

Number of people who left last known location never to be seen again:

1411508049000-01-total.png

Compare . Contrast.

WOW - I am away for a few days and the board explodes! Gotta say--thanks to all (even those whose viewpoints differ from mine) for keeping the discussion so active. Haven't caught up completely yet, but wanted to respond to this.

These posts made me realize that I think the key point in which we differ is how we are defining or calculating the relative "probabilities" of each possible scenario. There are basically two approaches you could take:

Approach 1: Look at the number of people who are missing and haven't been found (a large number). Look at the number of people who had been missing and then were later found inside a building (a much smaller number). Conclusion: it's more likely that he got out and went missing in a "usual" or "more likely" fashion?

The problem I have with approach 1 is that it ignores the context of the actual case--i.e. what we know. It just says "well, there's more X than Y, so it's probably X" without considering the facts of the unique case.

To make an analogy, imagine that an acquaintance of yours suddenly starts spending money on extravagant purchases at a pace that suggests he is a multimillionaire, and that this is is a sudden change. Suppose you also know that this friend, although not rich previously, likes to go to Vegas often, and was there recently. You question whether or not he might have won a jackpot on a slot machine.

Approach 1 would say "well it's extremely hard to win a jackpot on a slot machine, so from a probability standpoint, he probably didn't." But this ignores every bit of contextual evidence you have.

Now allow me to present Approach 2: Clearly, highly unlikely events do happen sometime (and something highly unusual happened to Brian--I think we can agree there). When looking to explain them, we look for the explanation that would require the fewest conditions in order for it to be true.

Let me give an example that illustrates this. Forget about Brian Shaffer for just a second, and imagine that you are trying to estimate the chances of two different scenarios coming to fruition.

One scenario (let's call it scenario A) would require one very unlikely event (for the sake of demonstration, let's say you put the odds at 0.01% - not likely at all!)

A different scenario (let's call it scenario B) would require four different events/assumptions to be true. Each of these four events is unlikely, but significantly more likely than the one event in scenario A. Again, for the sake of demonstration, let's put the odds at 1% for each of these. Although that's not "likely," it is 100x more likely than the single assumption needed for the first scenario.

Now let's compute the odds of scenario A and B mathematically.

Odds of scenario A = 0.01% (same as the odds of this singular unlikely event) which is about 1 in 10,000.

Odds of scenario B = 1% * 1% * 1% * 1% = 0.01 * 0.01 * 0.01 * 0.01 = 0.00000001 = 0.000001% which is about 1 in 100 MILLION!

These percentages are not meant to reflect any actual percentages of anything that may have happened that night to Brian, but it illustrates the point. While the individual events in Scenario B are each 100x more likely than the "far fetched" Scenario A, as you string them together, it becomes exponentially less likely.

I contend that all scenarios in which Brian got out of the bar involve the stringing together of multiple assumptions or unlikely occurrences: He coincidentally happened to leave via a strange exit AND he wasn't seen on camera (by chance) AND he happened to meet foul play that night AND the murderer was never identified AND no body ever turned up AND the assailant decided not to use his credit card AND nobody ever talked despite cash rewards being offered, etc. etc. etc.

While any one of these things in isolation might seem more likely that being hidden in the building, stringing them together leads to the exponential compounding of unlikelihood as demonstrated in my example.

Further, when you employ Approach 2 (taking into consideration the context of the case), you can see how one singular event can explain every single mysterious element of this case, and that would be that he met an accident in a very hidden location within that building (note: it doesn't need to be the construction site, could be a roof, or some place hidden so well no one has thought to look) and therefore his body has not beed found.

It's an unlikely event, but it's a singular unlikely event that fits the context of what we know and would explain every mysterious aspect of the case.

And that is why I am so adamant about this.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know the 4/1/2006 state of the ground floor 'construction area' and what it looked like at the time? I wonder if investigators snapped photos or made videos when they went through the space with dogs. A few months ago, the lead detective on the case described the 'construction area' as being in a 'completely dug up' state as of 4/1/2006. About all we have are a few photos of the exterior of the building, made and published in the aftermath of Brian Shaffer's disappearance, showing a few entrances to the construction area at street level. And we know that it was subsequently paved over. The Sunflower Market, for example, opened in 9/2006 (one floor below UTS, and to the south of UTS and MadMex), so we know that that portion of the construction area was paved by that time.

Probably unrelated, but I thought of Brian immediately: Report an hour ago of a partially mummified body found in Columbus near Lane ave and 315 ramp on the west side of the river. I'm trying to post the link from WSYX channel 6 and having trouble. This is less than 2 miles as the crow flies from the Ugly Tuna. The authorities are stating that this body has been there for "quite some time" and have called in homicide.

Death investigation underway after 'partially mummified' body found near ramp to SR-315

Probably unrelated, but I thought of Brian immediately: Report an hour ago of a partially mummified body found in Columbus near Lane ave and 315 ramp on the west side of the river. I'm trying to post the link from WSYX channel 6 and having trouble. This is less than 2 miles as the crow flies from the Ugly Tuna. The authorities are stating that this body has been there for "quite some time" and have called in homicide.

Police investigating after construction crew finds body near Lane Ave. and 315

Wouldn't that be something...

WOW - I am away for a few days and the board explodes! Gotta say--thanks to all (even those whose viewpoints differ from mine) for keeping the discussion so active. Haven't caught up completely yet, but wanted to respond to this.

These posts made me realize that I think the key point in which we differ is how we are defining or calculating the relative "probabilities" of each possible scenario. There are basically two approaches you could take:

Approach 1: Look at the number of people who are missing and haven't been found (a large number). Look at the number of people who had been missing and then were later found inside a building (a much smaller number). Conclusion: it's more likely that he got out and went missing in a "usual" or "more likely" fashion?

The problem I have with approach 1 is that it ignores the context of the actual case--i.e. what we know. It just says "well, there's more X than Y, so it's probably X" without considering the facts of the unique case.

To make an analogy, imagine that an acquaintance of yours suddenly starts spending money on extravagant purchases at a pace that suggests he is a multimillionaire, and that this is is a sudden change. Suppose you also know that this friend, although not rich previously, likes to go to Vegas often, and was there recently. You question whether or not he might have won a jackpot on a slot machine.

Approach 1 would say "well it's extremely hard to win a jackpot on a slot machine, so from a probability standpoint, he probably didn't." But this ignores every bit of contextual evidence you have.

Now allow me to present Approach 2: Clearly, highly unlikely events do happen sometime (and something highly unusual happened to Brian--I think we can agree there). When looking to explain them, we look for the explanation that would require the fewest conditions in order for it to be true.

Let me give an example that illustrates this. Forget about Brian Shaffer for just a second, and imagine that you are trying to estimate the chances of two different scenarios coming to fruition.

One scenario (let's call it scenario A) would require one very unlikely event (for the sake of demonstration, let's say you put the odds at 0.01% - not likely at all!)

A different scenario (let's call it scenario B) would require four different events/assumptions to be true. Each of these four events is unlikely, but significantly more likely than the one event in scenario A. Again, for the sake of demonstration, let's put the odds at 1% for each of these. Although that's not "likely," it is 100x more likely than the single assumption needed for the first scenario.

Now let's compute the odds of scenario A and B mathematically.

Odds of scenario A = 0.01% (same as the odds of this singular unlikely event) which is about 1 in 10,000.

Odds of scenario B = 1% * 1% * 1% * 1% = 0.01 * 0.01 * 0.01 * 0.01 = 0.00000001 = 0.000001% which is about 1 in 100 MILLION!

These percentages are not meant to reflect any actual percentages of anything that may have happened that night to Brian, but it illustrates the point. While the individual events in Scenario B are each 100x more likely than the "far fetched" Scenario A, as you string them together, it becomes exponentially less likely.

I contend that all scenarios in which Brian got out of the bar involve the stringing together of multiple assumptions or unlikely occurrences: He coincidentally happened to leave via a strange exit AND he wasn't seen on camera (by chance) AND he happened to meet foul play that night AND the murderer was never identified AND no body ever turned up AND the assailant decided not to use his credit card AND nobody ever talked despite cash rewards being offered, etc. etc. etc.

While any one of these things in isolation might seem more likely that being hidden in the building, stringing them together leads to the exponential compounding of unlikelihood as demonstrated in my example.

Further, when you employ Approach 2 (taking into consideration the context of the case), you can see how one singular event can explain every single mysterious element of this case, and that would be that he met an accident in a very hidden location within that building (note: it doesn't need to be the construction site, could be a roof, or some place hidden so well no one has thought to look) and therefore his body has not beed found.

It's an unlikely event, but it's a singular unlikely event that fits the context of what we know and would explain every mysterious aspect of the case.

And that is why I am so adamant about this.

Probabilities probably apply more to the likelihood of a wing being stressed at X

or anticipated lifespan of a microwave

battery going dead

likelihood of a hurricane going in a general direction

speed at impact related to damage of some item

etc etc

The only probability i would endorse in this situation is the probability that a detective . using a roving camera , in a building with several exits can definitively state that everyone that went in came out!! Probability - low!

The human condition is full of variance!!

Last edited:
Probabilities probably apply more to the likelihood of a wing being stressed at X

or anticipated lifespan of a microwave

battery going dead

likelihood of a hurricane going in a general direction

speed at impact related to damage of some item

etc etc

The only probability i would endorse in this situation is the probability that a detective . using a roving camera , in a building with several exits can definitively state that everyone that went in came out!! Probability - low!

The human condition is full of variance!!

I don’t really know what you’re trying to say here in this garbled post. But it doesn’t seem to address anything I said in any meaningful or understandable way.

sure would be

but end of article says foul play not expected I thought how could they state that about a mummy

I was thinking the very same thing~!

And as far as probabilities, what's the probability of
a person not being caught on camera
then accidentally ending up in the construction area,
then somehow ending up in a human sized crevice / hole in the ground,
then somehow being covered with enough soil to conceal his body, and
then not being found inside this limited, contained search area, when said area has been searched not once but multiple times by humans and search / cadaver dogs. I can only see the probability as being very low, not to say anything is impossible, but.....
That said it is interesting how some have such different opinions on the probability of one scenario versus another, but it does make me think.

This case has intrigued and puzzled many for a very long time, the reason i think, is because the pieces do not seem to quite fit!
No matter the variety of perspectives it seems something is missing or something added that should not be there.
It is like a rubic's cube with no formula, just a lot of twisting and turning till the right configuration appears and Brian is found.
imo.

then not being found inside this limited, contained search area, when said area has been searched not once but multiple times by humans and search / cadaver dogs. I can only see the probability as being very low, not to say anything is impossible, but.....
That said it is interesting how some have such different opinions on the probability of one scenario versus another, but it does make me think.
The least low of all the possibilities, making it the most likely. IMO.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know the 4/1/2006 state of the ground floor 'construction area' and what it looked like at the time? I wonder if investigators snapped photos or made videos when they went through the space with dogs. A few months ago, the lead detective on the case described the 'construction area' as being in a 'completely dug up' state as of 4/1/2006. About all we have are a few photos of the exterior of the building, made and published in the aftermath of Brian Shaffer's disappearance, showing a few entrances to the construction area at street level. And we know that it was subsequently paved over. The Sunflower Market, for example, opened in 9/2006 (one floor below UTS, and to the south of UTS and MadMex), so we know that that portion of the construction area was paved by that time.

Part of the problem, for all of us, is we don't know exactly what "completely dug up" means in this particular case. And we don't know how much time elapsed before construction crews knew about a missing man, and what construction activity might have gone on before the search of the construction area took place. Or at least, I don't have that information.

The search of the construction area really means very little (at least to me) unless it was done very soon, like the very next day, after the night Brian went missing. I highly doubt the construction company held off work during those early days of Brian being missing--unless LE required them to stop, as usually there are financial penalties if a project is not completed in a certain timeframe, etc.

Also, I don't know if any footings, etc., were required for this construction project, necessitating deeper trenches than you might find for house footings, but "Trench Deaths: A Tale of Two Dakotas," a blog post at jordanbarab.com, illustrates why a trench collapse is so deadly.

If you are not familiar with commercial construction, then you may not know how extensive the ground work might have to be for a buildings built to a specific code.

Reading about people found dead who were caught between walls, in chimneys, locked stairwells, etc., gives rise to what's possible, even if it doesn't seem probable.

Brian went missing in a very short period of time, not seen on any surveillance video as leaving the building, with a "completely dug up" construction area right there, his phone went to voicemail immediately, and a horrible smell emanated from somewhere in the building around this same timeframe.

moo

but end of article says foul play not expected I thought how could they state that about a mummy

Mummification can occur naturally in the elements. Obviously they’ll investigate, but clearly the state of the body suggests that at least initially there wasn’t foul play based on their report.

As far as I can tell, there is currently zero reason to link this to Brian Shaffer. Plenty of unidentified bodies have turned up unexpectedly in Columbus since 2006–this certainly isn’t the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500