Found Deceased OH - Darnell Taylor, 5, foster parent Pammy Maye, 48 advised she harmed him then fled in 2015 gray Jeep Cherokee, Columbus, 14 Feb 2024

News Conference about to start.

Darnell's body was found this morning.

Pammy was arrested and will be charged with murder.

Body was in a sewage drain in Franklin County.

At 9:30pm Thursday, Brooklyn police received a call from a business saying a woman was lurking around their building. Police responded. Woman was Pammy. She was taken to a hospital where she was interviewed by investigators. Information was developed that Darnell was in a sewage drain.

Last edited:
Such sad news. The outcome was expected, but I was hoping for a miracle. :(

Columbus Police Chief Elaine Bryant said that police located what they believe to be the body of 5-year-old Darnell Taylor in the 1000 block of Marsdale Avenue on Columbus’ southwest side.

Last edited:
Police took his foster mother Pammy Maye, 48, into custody shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday night in the 4000 block of Tiedeman Road in the Cleveland suburb of Brooklyn, The Dispatch reported. She told investigators where they could locate Darnell's body. Police found her wandering in a nightgown, Bryant said

Maye told police that she left Darnell's body in a sewage drain in the 1000 block of Marsdale Avenue in Southwest Columbus. Investigators located the body shortly after 1 a.m. Friday.
Ohio Amber Alert: Missing 5-year-old found dead, foster mother arrested. What we know :(

An initial Amber Alert sent at around 5:10 a.m. Wednesday included the phrase "execute action," leading some to wonder what action to take.

An Ohio Department of Public Safety spokesperson said Thursday that there were issues with the public Amber Alert in the central Ohio region and the alert was incomplete. The department is in the process of looking into why the system didn't work as intended and included the "execute action" template phrase for cell phones in Columbus.

FEB 16, 2024
  • Maye remains in custody, and Bryant said police will seek to add murder charges to counts of kidnapping and endangering children.
  • Maye has been Darnell's foster mother since May 2023, according to Columbus police and the Ohio Amber Alert website.
  • Franklin County Children Services said Thursday that Maye and her husband had become the legal custodians of Darnell, despite police calling Maye the foster mother of Darnell.
  • Maye has no discernible criminal history.
  • Public records show that she and her husband married in 1998 and bought their Reeb Avenue home in 2021.

• Issued for: Ohio
  • AMBER Alert: 31303
MK_amberAlert.png

Darnell Taylor​

No photo available

• Missing Since
    • Feb 14, 2024
    • Missing From
    • Columbus, OH
    • Age Now
    • 5 years
    • Sex
    • Male
    • Race
    • Black
    • Hair Color
    • Black
    • Eye Color
    • Brown

Vehicle Information​

• Make:
    • Jeep
    • Model:
    • Cherokee
    • Year:
    • Color:
    • Gray
    • License plate:
    • JIGGZII
    • License state:
    • OH
Be on the lookout for an abducted child. On February 14, 2024 at 3:50 AM, Foster parent advised advised that she harmed her foster child and fled by car. The incident took place in Franklin County, OH on 905 Reeb Ave in the city of Columbus 43085. The child's name is Darnell Taylor and the individual is missing. The child is a Black male, age 5, and has black hair and brown eyes. The suspect's name is Pammy Maye. The suspect is a Black female, age 48, is 4'9" tall, weighs 115, and has brown hair and brown eyes. The vehicle involved is a gray 2015 Jeep Cherokee with OH plate number jiggzii.

Pammy Maye​

No photo available

• Age Now
    • 48 yeras
    • Sex
    • Female
    • Race
    • Black
    • Hair Color
    • Brown
    • Eye Color
    • Brown
    • Height
    • 4'9"
    • Weight
    • 115 lbs

What a beautiful darling little boy. :(

MOO

In these situations you always have to wonder if the foster father was involved in some way but assuming the story is true (he calls 911 after his wife wakes him up to tell him she killed the foster son and fled) then I can't imagine what it's like to feel what he does right now.

Not the news I hoped to wake up to but not unexpected. what on earth happened with this woman? Just why?

she told investigators that Taylor was in a sewage drain in the 1000 block of Marsdale Avenue in the Columbus area. Officers went there and made the heartbreaking discovery just after 1 a.m.
Missing Ohio 5-year-old found dead in drain; guardian faces murder charge

FEB 15, 2024
[...]

Anthony and Tawanda Baynes said they are the biological grandparents of Darnell and have been friends with Pammy for many years.

Anthony shared a desperate plea that he hopes reaches her.

"Pammy.... what’re you doing? This is Darnell, you love him. Please, bring him home."

[...]

Anthony and Tawanda said they used to take care of Darnell, but it got to be too much for them.

"Darnell's kind of rough. We couldn't handle him. I hate to say we couldn't handle him, but we didn't want him in the system,” Anthony said.

Anthony said they looked to their close friend, Pammy, who was like family to them.

[...]

"This is not like her at all, the person that I thought that I knew,” she said.

King said her family hasn’t seen Darnell since last July, not long after Pammy and her husband gained legal custody of him. The family said Pammy used to attend every birthday, cookout and holiday, but out of nowhere, she stopped answering their calls.

[...]
Bbm.
First bolded : Well if the guardian, P.M., couldn't handle him either, maybe he would've been better off at a foster home and then, he'd still be alive ??
Having a 'trusted friend' or family member-- isn't always the best option, imo.
Maybe PM felt like she was stuck with a child she didn't want ?
Idk.

Second bolded: That's always a danger sign, imo.
*Sigh*

Rest in peace and fly with the angels, little guy.
Your suffering is over, dear Darnell.

I'm sorry but he may have had a difficult childhood all around.
What were his early years like ?
Did he have someone to comfort him when he cried and an arm around him to read a bedtime story in the evenings ?
Darnell's short life seemed troubled.

But hearing he was 'rough' (i.e., as in difficult to handle or had outbursts ?), makes me wonder about his earliest years.
Some kids are born with issues that require an extra measure of love and patience, but I haven't heard if Darnell had any disabilities, physical or mental ?
Omo.

News Conference about to start.

Darnell's body was found this morning.

Pammy was arrested and will be charged with murder.

Body was in a sewage drain in Franklin County.

At 9:30pm Thursday, Brooklyn police received a call from a business saying a woman was lurking around their building. Police responded. Woman was Pammy. She was taken to a hospital where she was interviewed by investigators. Information was developed that Darnell was in a sewage drain.

Bolding mine.
"...in a sewage drain...." :mad:

How repulsive and disrespectful.
I'm wondering if the autopsy will show bruises, broken bones, or other wounds, fresh and older ones ?
Sounds like PM cut the bio. family off for a while ?
And does PM's spouse have any knowledge of what was happening ?

Some children's' entire short lives are a nightmare, and I'm wondering if Darnell's was like that.
Did his bio fam. make an effort to check on him and were turned away & prevented from seeing him, until it was too late ?
So many questions.
Omo.

Last edited:
I am sick of people killing innocent children. He was 5 years old good god.
I’m the 8th of 9 kids, my parents also took in foster children, I have numerous nephews and nieces, I have 2 children and 5 grandchildren,my youngest grandson turned 6 last week. I can think of anything that a 5 year old could do that could make a person kill him
PM deserves the death penalty for the death of this child.
All is my opinion only .

WSYX-TV Channel 6 had a live report on the noon newscast today at the location where Darnell's body was found.

From what I seen on the live report on WSYX, it showed a intersection in a residential neighborhood where the body was found. And it looks like the body was placed in a storm drain rather than a sewer drain.

In the Columbus area, intersections on city streets have storm drains for rain water to be emptied into the nearest creek, stream, or river.

Columbus area storm drains at intersections have a small opening for rain water to flow into the drain. It also has a manhole cover lid on top of the storm drain where a crow bar is used to uncover the lid from the storm drain.

Source:

5-year-old Darnell Taylor found dead; legal guardian to be charged with murder

WSYX-TV Channel 6 had a live report on the noon newscast today at the location where Darnell's body was found.

From what I seen on the live report on WSYX, it showed a intersection in a residential neighborhood where the body was found. And it looks like the body was placed in a storm drain rather than a sewer drain.

In the Columbus area, intersections on city streets have storm drains for rain water to be emptied into the nearest creek, stream, or river.

Columbus area storm drains at intersections have a small opening for rain water to flow into the drain. It also has a manhole cover lid on top of the storm drain where a crow bar is used to uncover the lid from the storm drain.

Source:

5-year-old Darnell Taylor found dead; legal guardian to be charged with murder
Thanks for this clarification.^^^

Still unfathomable.
Hoping he'll be able to be laid to rest soon -- respectfully !
Justice for Darnell.
Omo.

NBC4 obtained additional details on Taylor’s case from Franklin County Children’s Services. Children’s services confirmed that the Mayes were the legal custodians of Taylor – not foster parents.

The agency said Taylor first came to their attention in March 2022, when there was a physical abuse or neglect referral. It is unclear whose care Taylor was in at the time of this referral. Taylor was referred to multiple service agencies, including behavioral health at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and case management, according to children’s services.

It’s also shown that Taylor had been in kinship care, but there’s no word on who his caretakers were. NBC4 spoke with Franklin County foster care agency Caregivers Helper. They would not comment on this case, but discussed policies and processes.

NBC4 reached out to Franklin County Children’s Services to ask about Maye’s relationship to Taylor and his biological parents, but they have not yet responded. The agency said more specific information on Taylor’s case is not being released at this time.

FEB 16, 2024
[...]

... Pammy Maye, was taken into custody in the 4000 block of Tiedeman Road in Brooklyn around 9 p.m. on Thursday after she walked into envelope manufacturer Cenveo distraught and with no shoes on.

IMG_9877.jpg

David Kraska / News 5 Cenveo in Brooklyn, where wanted woman Pammy Maye was discovered by police.

Police said Maye asked employees to call her husband, who they were unable to get in contact with.

Maye refused to give her name to the employee or dispatcher, according to police. Patrol officers responded to Cenveo and immediately identified her as Maye, the subject of the Amber Alert.

[...]

... At about 1:30 p.m. Friday, Darnell's biological family positively identified the body to the Franklin County Coroner's Office.

[...]

FEB 16, 2024
A report from 3News' partner station WBNS 10TV in Columbus described Maye, 48, as Taylor's "legal custodian," which is just one type of custody arrangement available to non-parents of children in the state of Ohio.

... It's unclear how grandparents Anthony and Tawanda Baynes ended up taking care of Taylor, but they did say it was them who handed over custody willingly to Maye, who was a longtime family friend.

[...]

There are three different types of legal custody that can be awarded to non-parents in the state of Ohio: custody, guardianship, and adoption.

[...]

Custody orders, which come with the least rights for the custodian, are issued from either domestic relations court or juvenile court in the county where the child lives. ... Custody orders come from juvenile court if the child is part of a children's services case, or if the child's parents were never married to each other.

Both guardianship orders — which come with similar rights as custodial orders — and adoption decrees — which come with the most rights — originate from probate court. ...

A custody order and a guardianship order are similar in terms of the rights they come with. With a custody order, the biological parents still have the right to visit the child, and can ask the judge to give custody back at a later date, if they so choose. ...

Adoption, however, creates permanent and complete legal parental rights for the adopting parent. This means adoption terminates the biological parents' parental rights, or the biological parents waive their parental rights. ...

[...]

The one thing each of these types of custody orders has in common is that they're not accessible to the public. That means that no matter whether Maye had a simple custody order over Taylor, whether she was his legal guardian, or whether she had formally adopted him, we wouldn't be able to find those records in a docket search or get them produced with a public records request.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back