OH - Dr. William Husel accused of murdering 25 patients w/ Fentanyl Overdoses, Franklin Co, 2019 *not guilty*

another report from 3pm today with no mention of a ruling
Affidavit seeking removal of judge in Husel trial filed

This article mentions that we are inching towards a mistrial and boy I agree with that. You can just feel it.
It is strange that more news outlets aren't reporting the ruling.
The Columbus Dispatch
news article was even updated this morning and these words remain:
"Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor ruled to deny" "the motion to disqualify".

Husel trial delayed due to defense attempt to remove Judge Holbrook
Updated 7:38 a.m. ET April 8, 2022
[...]
The motion to disqualify was filed Tuesday, and The Dispatch has been told that Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor ruled to deny it on Wednesday. Shortly before 8 p.m. Wednesday, Holbrook's office announced closing arguments would be held Monday.
[...]
When an affidavit to remove or replace a judge is filed, judges aren't permitted to work on trial matters, according to the Ohio Revised Code and experts who spoke to The Dispatch.

"You're supposed to put your pencil down and not do anything," said Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge Richard Frye
[...]

Dr. William Husel trial: Affidavit of disqualification filed | 10tv.com
Published: 3:53 PM EDT April 7, 2022
Updated: 5:25 PM EDT April 7, 2022
[...]
Closing arguments are currently scheduled to begin on Monday. Following closing arguments, Judge Holbrook is expected to turn the case over to the jury for deliberation.

10TV's Bennett Haeberle spoke with Judge Holbrook who said he cannot comment on the affidavit. He added he plans to move forward with closing arguments next week.
[...]

It may well be denied but many outlets are not reporting that at all. Is it possible some are CONCUDING that sense judge says closing on Monday and that cannot happen until decided that it has been denied? I guess the reality is a very long shot after the entire case was tried but I think the last straw may have been some things that happened back in chambers relevant to charges and closing. Everything about this case is a disaster. Now we have a jury who has been sitting in the dark for close to two weeks...that has to favor one side or the other and I think it might favor state and JB's reputation preceeds him...they may think he is trying more "tactical" games.

I would think who ever is running against Holbrooke will have a field day with this information. Not sure how they can use it but clearly this will cost him votes in his district whether denied or he is removed from the case. He just simply could not handle presiding over a case with a high profile attorney for the defense. He just could not contain his snide remarks...facial expressions and distian for Baez. A judge cannot pick who comes before them...a professional carries on and hides whatever his personal feelings are . This judge could not. I don't know what all the preliminary hearings went like...if it was this obvious but if so Baez team should have done this before it came to trial.

Closing speeches will refresh the jurors minds.

Robert Durst's trial was put on hold for over a year due to the pandemic and the jurors and alternate jurors picked it up again.

Chase Merritt's trial lasted for about 6 months, during which time the trial was put on hold because one of the defense attorneys was absent with illness, and jurors had family commitments mid-trial which the court honored because of the unforseen delays, but they picked it up again.

It's been a minimal delay in this case in comparison.

Closing speeches will refresh the jurors minds.

Robert Durst's trial was put on hold for over a year due to the pandemic and the jurors and alternate jurors picked it up again.

Chase Merritt's trial lasted for about 6 months, during which time the trial was put on hold because one of the defense attorneys was absent with illness, and jurors had family commitments mid-trial which the court honored because of the unforseen delays, but they picked it up again.

It's been a minimal delay in this case in comparison.

Big difference between those trials and one with complex medical info and theories. Plus, this one was delayed after both sides rested.

Big difference between those trials and one with complex medical info and theories. Plus, this one was delayed after both sides rested.

I agree. Husel is charged with 14 counts of murder and there has been complicated testimony of medical details of each.

BTW, I notice a different "air" in the courtroom this morning (maybe it's just me).

Husel trial: Removing a judge from a case in Ohio is different than in Florida
Husel trial: Removing a judge from a case in Ohio is different than in Florida
April 11, 2022
[...]
When an attorney has a reasonable belief that a Florida county or circuit judge is showing prejudice or bias for or against one side and files a motion to disqualify, the judge involved has to decide whether to recuse himself or herself from the case, according to Florida law.
[...]
In Ohio, litigants in a case can file an affidavit for disqualification of a judge with the Ohio Supreme Court. It's up to the chief justice to decide the merits of the complaint against the judge.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/12/us/william-husel-ohio-doctor-closing-arguments-mistrial-motion/index.html

The defense attorney for an Ohio doctor accused of overprescribing pain medication to multiple patients near death asked for a mistrial in the case Monday, saying certain remarks from prosecutors during closing arguments implied the defense has to meet a burden of proof.

Defense attorney Jose Baez argued prosecutors have the burden to prove guilt and the defense doesn't have to prove anything.
……
In arguing for a mistrial, Baez said prosecutors asked during Monday's closing arguments why the defense didn't put certain witnesses on the stand and why the defense didn't ask their expert witnesses a particular question. Prosecutors also told the jury that "no one in the world is giving these doses," referring to the fentanyl at the center of the case, when there was no evidence on that issue, Baez said.

The prosecution said their closing arguments were proper, and Judge Michael Holbrook will rule on the request for a mistrial Tuesday morning before jury deliberations are set to begin.

For anyone interested and that has not watched the charge. The judge was jumbling words...at one point said defendant not victims as I recall and attorney had to correct him. AT that point this mess of a judge said " I should tell you that I am in the process of passing a kidney stone"!!!! That was his reason for making such a mess of instructions in a murder case involving 14 counts. I can't even imagine the reaction of the attorneys and defendant at that point. If you did not hear that for yourself then I suggest listening. It was remarkable. When sending the jury out he told them this is THEIR DELIBERATIONS and repeated that almost as much as m'kay which he says non stop. They can stay until midnight if they want. Questions or verdict will require 30 minute notice to get people together. So attorneys need to be within 30 minutes of courthouse. I think they will go late and want to be finished by Friday but with all the exhibits and 14 counts of murder this will take time. Not sequestered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back