OH - Dr. William Husel accused of murdering 25 patients w/ Fentanyl Overdoses, Franklin Co, 2019 *not guilty*

It’s so bizarre. I was thinking maybe someone was sick, but wouldn’t they come out and say that’s the reason for the delay? I’ve never seen such a delay from the time the defense rests. The jury’s going to forget all the testimony by the time they get back to it.

As my mother used to say, "What in the Sam Hill is going on?"

Are there any legal analysts (or the like) discussing these delays... anywhere?!
If there is I sure cannot find any...Dr. charged with 14 murders and no media covering it? Thanks to Gardenista (sp) here I have kept up with the complete lack of any proceedings for the entire week...can you imagine what the jury is thinking?

My guess is they are trying to hammer out a last minute plea bargain before it goes to the jury.
I guess that is possible if Dr. Husel is nervous about a hung jury and this continuing to ruin his life. But I would have to think that anything he would agree to would be so minimal that State would be hesitate to accept ...I don't know what the general feelings are in the community in which this took place. Wish we had more local input. From the outside it looks very clear cut but not sure about close to home and the jury. Also did the defense get the jury they wanted? Are they seeing signs in the jury response that tells them it could be hung. Those little things may be at play. I know at one point very early on some jurors were overheard talking about the "notoriety" of one of the defense attorneys!!! It was addressed by the judge I believe. JB is still associated with CA...that was an unforgettable case and one or more jurors could just not like him and take it out on Dr. Husel. These things happen. If I were Dr. Husel and he gets to walk after this I would move to a different country!!

snip:
Are there any legal analysts (or the like) discussing these delays... anywhere?!
Unfortunately, I haven't found any legal analysis discussions.
I found a Student Doctor discussion at StudentDoctor [dot] net.

studentdoctor.net
cropped-cropped-logo.png

© 1999 - 2022 Health Professional Student Association.
A 501(C)(3) NONPROFIT EDUCATIONAL ORGANIZATION
Husel Trial starts today in Ohio

So if they agree to some sort of settlement that would I assume not be public information...would all take place behind closed doors...jurors would never return and we will be left wondering? It would no doubt have stipulations that no parties divulge anything to media etc. That leaves only families to talk I guess. Just speculating because the more I think about it the more I think that is what is happening. I don't think either side would want a jury to be away from the case and evidence for this long and then be asked to deliberate. Confirms my idea we will never see closing arguments. I think it could be announced before the weekend...it will mean that those of us wanting to see Dr . Husel walk out of court with a not guilty will never see that.

Reason for long delay? Could be a plea deal, but I think they are debating 'lesser included' charges. If lesser charges are included, the chance of jurors agreeing to at least one guilty verdict is more likely. This would have serious ramifications for our medical profession. If Husel is found guilty and is then incarcerated, this will create a chilling effect for doctors now and in the future, which could lead to painful end-of-life patient experiences. My opinion.

Reason for long delay? Could be a plea deal, but I think they are debating 'lesser included' charges. If lesser charges are included, the chance of jurors agreeing to at least one guilty verdict is more likely. This would have serious ramifications for our medical profession. If Husel is found guilty and is then incarcerated, this will create a chilling effect for doctors now and in the future, which could lead to painful end-of-life patient experiences. My opinion.
Yes I can see that argument happening for sure maybe days ago...does not both sides argue and judge rule...how could this still be going on. If you don't like the ruling and lose the case then appeal.

Yes I can see that argument happening for sure maybe days ago...does not both sides argue and judge rule...how could this still be going on. If you don't like the ruling and lose the case then appeal.
Agree that it shouldn't take this long for the judge to rule on lessers. But the judge might have reviewed a pile of case law as well as consulting other judges. After that ruling, they also had to work on jury instructions which could be tedious because of the number of charges and slight difference in each case?
Here is a news article two months ago about the lesser offenses:
Judge: Prosecutors can present evidence of lesser offenses in Husel murder trial
Judge: Prosecutors can present evidence of lesser offenses in Husel murder trial
February 2, 2022
[...]
The judge writes: "As is the case with anyone charged with murder, whether the jury should receive an instruction on any lesser included offense depends on the facts adduced at trial."

He goes on to say that a decision here is dependent on evidence introduced at trial.
[...]

So if they agree to some sort of settlement that would I assume not be public information...would all take place behind closed doors...jurors would never return and we will be left wondering? It would no doubt have stipulations that no parties divulge anything to media etc. That leaves only families to talk I guess. Just speculating because the more I think about it the more I think that is what is happening. I don't think either side would want a jury to be away from the case and evidence for this long and then be asked to deliberate. Confirms my idea we will never see closing arguments. I think it could be announced before the weekend...it will mean that those of us wanting to see Dr . Husel walk out of court with a not guilty will never see that.
IANAL, but it is my understanding that 'settlement' doesn't happen with criminal cases. Settlement is in civil cases.
Also, proceedings in criminal court are public record, with rare exception for exemptions.

IANAL, but it is my understanding that 'settlement' doesn't happen with criminal cases. Settlement is in civil cases.
Also, proceedings in criminal court are public record, with rare exception for exemptions.
Okay I am thinking more of civil...you are correct. hard waiting this long. If this judge is as effective as he was in trial and with his bias probably another reason things are dragging along. It is inviting problems with jury if they still need them.

Last edited:
According to the Ohio Supreme Court website, an affidavit of disqualification is “a statutory vehicle through which a litigant or attorney may request the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court to prevent a judge of a municipal court, county court, common pleas court, court of appeals, or court of claims from hearing a specific case. Affidavits may be filed to allege that a judge is interested in a proceeding pending before his or her court, has a bias or prejudice for or against a party to the proceeding or a party's counsel, or is otherwise disqualified to preside.”

Dr. William Husel trial: Affidavit of disqualification filed | 10tv.com

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

27m
Def request to remove Holbrook DENIED "The disqualification complaint included a reference to Holbrook's comments to the media after the defense rested its case, in which he called the move a "tactical decision" that caught him off-guard.."
https://yahoo.com/news/why-delay-closing-arguments-william-193842698.html… #WilliamHusel

Why the delay in closing arguments in the William Husel trial? What we now know
The motion to disqualify was filed Tuesday, and The Dispatch has been told that Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor ruled to deny it on Wednesday. Shortly before 8 p.m. Wednesday, Holbrook's office announced closing arguments would be held Monday.

Lyn Tolan, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Supreme Court, would only say that the filing was under seal and that she couldn't answer other questions about it.

WOW...JUST WOW...GARDENISTA...thank you so much...you are so on top of this situation. I think that is just great news and so warranted. Jose Baez is no fool and while the proximate reason was listed above it was building over this past month....oh now can you imagine this half baked judge and how he will behave in the courtroom next week. I expect the state to interrupt closing by defense non stop and be sustained on all of them. I am once again expecting hung.

Well I assume this is covered in local media and can't help his bid for reelection this fall!!! Good for the defense even if they did not prevail. It is on the record.

Holy crap

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

According to WOSU : Defense has filed with the Ohio Supreme Court to remove Judge Holbrook from the #WilliamHusel case.

Affidavit seeking removal of judge in Husel trial filed

Holy crap is right! So, since removal of the judge request has been denied, and considering the local attorney (Shamansky) comments from your link... are we looking at a mistrial on Monday?!

Also, what were Judge Holbrook's comments to the media referenced in the affidavit? (mentioned in the Yahoo link)

"Shamansky did not weigh in on the merits of the attempt to remove the judge, but said, “in terms of what suits the ends of justice, you can imagine, hearing a complicated case for over a month and then expecting 12 people to retain that information as they sit unsequestered on their hands for two weeks, it’s just unbelievable.”

Shemansky says it would be difficult for anyone to retain the testimony, which began in February. The prosecution called more than 50 witnesses."

Last edited:
I am confused. Are we sure that the higher court denied this motion?
This is from 5pm news locally in Columbus
They have been covering the trial ....could they be this
bad at reporting?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member