Identified! Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

EXACTLY............
I also dislike the notion of 'they are an adult and have the right to leave if they please'. Same with assumed runaways. It's these assumptions that hurt investigation and early recovery of the missing. It looks like at some point they dropped Nicolas missing case which makes me wonder if had his case been listed on a missing persons site that it may have been solved sooner.

It does give me thought to wonder if he was in contact with any of his military buddies over the years. Terry Rasmussen was in the Navy not long after discharging he went on his murder spree. Kind of interesting some of the places Nichols was known to have been are also on TR's known and possible list. All thou years apart....

Feed me Seymour .....
I was reminded of Rasmussen's case as well! It makes me wonder if Nichols had more children or other wives. Especially in the 1965-1978 timeframe before the stolen ID.

I was reminded of Rasmussen's case as well! It makes me wonder if Nichols had more children or other wives. Especially in the 1965-1978 timeframe before the stolen ID.

Its possible ... I cannot say 100% that Nichols did not acquire a wife and children after leaving his family all thou it is my gut instinct that he did not. Not sold on Nichols being the Zodiac, however will have to say I kind of got mixed signals from LE on the possibilty. It maybe more so due to the fact they are as puzzled as anyone else why he was running ... there was a purpose to his madness. Things that make you go ..hmmmmm

The Navy service and the known locations caught my eye more so as many veterans of military service are like a band of brothers. Seeking out any Navy vet friends that resided in the known areas maybe a key to unlock more details of his mysterious life.

I found another person that was once considered to be Joseph Chandler III. He was also a veteran who disappeared around the same time in 1966. His name was John Victor Dial. He has since been recovered alive in 2013 after he called his sister. This adds to the question though, is there some correlation with having served in the military to leaving your life behind on your own accord? And or obtaining a stolen identity? (Although, I'm not sure if Dial assumed a new identity)

So far we have Terry Rasmussen, Robert Ivan Nichols, and John Victor dial who have all served in the military that disappeared abruptly from their families during the 60's/70's. Both Rasmussen and Nichols obtained stolen ID's and are suspected to have done so because of criminal reasons (we know this is true in Terry's case).

Only thing I could really find on Dial (I discovered him from the Doe Networks resolved page):
https://www.google.com/amp/s/whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/john-dial/amp/

Article on Nichols (might have been posted up-thread) warning! Graphic description of his body being found and graphic close up photo of his arm and back:
The Man Who Woke Up As An 8-Year-Old Boy – MEL Magazine
This article mentions a description of his belonging along with pictures of his apartment. It mentions something I haven't heard before..

But this guy pretty much fabricated everything. He once told a coworker he married a Catholic woman. Another time, he said he married a Cuban woman who used him to get into the United States. Who knows what the truth is?”

I wonder if his wife was Catholic. And if he really did marry a Cuban woman.

Another thing I noticed of interest, I've mentioned Lori Ruff in this thread due to the similarities to Chandler. Colleen Fitzpatrick helped identify Ruff as well (for those that didn't know like me). I feel silly for forgetting!

I found another person that was once considered to be Joseph Chandler III. He was also a veteran who disappeared around the same time in 1966. His name was John Victor Dial. He has since been recovered alive in 2013 after he called his sister. This adds to the question though, is there some correlation with having served in the military to leaving your life behind on your own accord? And or obtaining a stolen identity?

Some do. Good article about the Vets who live in the woods in Washington's Olympic Peninsula. Some since Vietnam. 'Stand downs' serve vets who live in woods near Forks

I'm pretty excited honestly about his identification. DNA Doe did a great job and I'm really excited they saw it all through to the end - if nothing it makes for an amazing story and really shows how dedicated they are. I'm really excited that his family/sons get closure. I'm not sure how he would have felt about it, though.

As a side note, the organization behind his identification is currently in the running to win a $5,000 grant that could make or break an identification for another Doe or two, just like they did for JNCIII.

DNA Doe Project Here's a Facebook post about it.

Why We Serve 2018 | Aftermath Services You can also vote here. ("Ofc. Stephanie Bourgeois")

I'm really excited personally because they've been getting a lot of press - especially after Nichols/JNC - and so this may make identifying one of the many (many many many) UID's they're working on easier on them.

Nichols didn't want to be found by his family when he was alive so this is one of those times when "give them their name back and send them home" is not what the UID would have wanted. Many of the female runaway UID left their families for what they saw as good reasons and it is doubtful whether they would have appreciated being returned to their families posthumously.

I found another person that was once considered to be Joseph Chandler III. He was also a veteran who disappeared around the same time in 1966. His name was John Victor Dial. He has since been recovered alive in 2013 after he called his sister. This adds to the question though, is there some correlation with having served in the military to leaving your life behind on your own accord? And or obtaining a stolen identity? (Although, I'm not sure if Dial assumed a new identity)

So far we have Terry Rasmussen, Robert Ivan Nichols, and John Victor dial who have all served in the military that disappeared abruptly from their families during the 60's/70's. Both Rasmussen and Nichols obtained stolen ID's and are suspected to have done so because of criminal reasons (we know this is true in Terry's case).

Only thing I could really find on Dial (I discovered him from the Doe Networks resolved page):
https://www.google.com/amp/s/whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/john-dial/amp/

Article on Nichols (might have been posted up-thread) warning! Graphic description of his body being found and graphic close up photo of his arm and back:
The Man Who Woke Up As An 8-Year-Old Boy – MEL Magazine
This article mentions a description of his belonging along with pictures of his apartment. It mentions something I haven't heard before..

But this guy pretty much fabricated everything. He once told a coworker he married a Catholic woman. Another time, he said he married a Cuban woman who used him to get into the United States. Who knows what the truth is?”

I wonder if his wife was Catholic. And if he really did marry a Cuban woman.

Another thing I noticed of interest, I've mentioned Lori Ruff in this thread due to the similarities to Chandler. Colleen Fitzpatrick helped identify Ruff as well (for those that didn't know like me). I feel silly for forgetting!

From that picture he lived very frugal for having 87k in the bank. Side note: There have been studies on white noise treating PTSD which could answer his machine

This guy is like a real life Raymond Reddington....we know who he is, but WHY did he change his identity?

IMO, he’s not DB Cooper or The Zodiac. IIRC, they have DNA from The Zodiac. If it belonged to Nichols, it would have returned a match already. I think he suffered from really bad PTSD or other mental illness(es) and they just got out of control for him and he had no other option but to end his life :(

JMO

"At that press conference [a year ago], Elliott asked for the public’s help. “There has to be a reason he assumed the name of a deceased 8-year-old boy and went into hiding for so many years,” Elliott said. “There has to be a reason he never again contacted his family; a reason he left $82,000 in a bank account without leaving it to his son; a reason he never wanted to be found throughout his lifetime and even into his death. Someone out there in the public may hold the key as to why.”

A year later, Elliott said his office has received a number of calls, including from various law enforcement agencies. So far though, there’s nothing concrete. “It led to a number of calls, but nothing we’ve been able with certainty to say ‘this is why he was on the run,’” Elliott said. Elliott still believes Nichols changed his name for criminal reasons.

“Well, we’re not ruling out anything right now,” he said. “We’ve got a number of calls, we’ve got a number of cases, obviously, way more than this one. We’re doing what we can. Again there’s been contact by different law enforcement agencies so we’re just going to see if it leads anywhere.”"

A year after Joseph Newton Chandler's true identity revealed, the 'why' remains unanswered

Re-reading the account of what he went through in WW2, and learning more about PTSD - I think the reason for all of this boiled down to severe PTSD. The VA is still trying to fully understand and treat veterans with it today, I can't imagine what it would have been like for WW2 veterans.

It was an address that he put on the rental application for his Eastlake lease. He used a street number and name that he said was in Columbus for his alleged sister. Addresss didn't exist in Columbus. It existed in another State where his real sister lived.

The rental application indicated that his sister, "Mary Wilson" lived at the non-existant street address of:
1823 Center Street, Columbus, Ohio.

The link between this and a real address was the number and street name DID exist in his family, but in another city and state:
1823 Center Street, New Albany, Indiana.

As seen in the postcard in this post originally from Gardener 1850, the address of his parents:
Identified! - Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

So, a little bit of truth hidden in his lies. Glad his sons know what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back