Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still catching up what devastating news :( so close to home. Sitting on the “can’t believe they didn’t search an empty house before now.” Bench
LE fail imo. And weren’t there other LE also State and FBI? Or not
Wth :(:(
bbm
Exactly !!!!!!
Maybe the local chief of police didn't think it was 'important'.
Smdh.

I am so angry and infuriated that my brain isn't working to form coherent sentences or observations.
The list of F ups in this investigation has me bristling. My only hope is that actually the sheriff had a plan to smoke someone out, and these seemingly deliberate errors were all part of it somehow. *sigh*
(( Hugs))

Same to both posts.
I am outraged. What incompetent fools some people are.

I can’t understand how his jacket ended up on the second floor hanging on a door and his body stuck in the chimney.
Sorry, trying to catch up here. Where does it say his jacket was found inside the home? Thanks

Press Conference - Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Chief Hickman:
  • Harley Dilly was recovered last evening at 507 Fulton St
  • Multiple leads were exhausted. Yesterday afternoon, a repeated canvas of the neighborhood, led investigators to the house. House has previously been checked multiple times
  • Windows were locked, doors secured, lockbox on rear door, no evidence of forced entry
  • Pursued entry into the house
  • Entered at 16:10 hours and searched
  • Harley's coat, glasses were discovered on second floor, next to brick chimney
  • Discovered Harley caught in chimney
  • Family notified and it appears to be accident
  • No foul play expected, autopsy being conducted this morning
  • Appears Harley climbed antenna tower to roof and entered chimney
  • Once in the chimney, glasses and jacket were pushed from the chimney through a flue into the second floor of the house
  • Chimney was blocked between second and first floor and trapped Harley
  • Chimney is 9x13 inches in size
Questions:
  • At one point did you enter house for the first time? - "That would be yesterday at 16:10 hours."
  • Any discussion about going into that particular house in the last couple weeks? - "Again, through the course of the beginning of the investigation, the house was secured, there was no sign of forced entry, and it was actually double locked. So nothing led us to believe that anyone was inside the house."
  • What led you back to this house? - "Again, with any investigation, we start back from the beginning, and just re-canvas everything that has already been checked."
  • What led you upstairs? - "We cleared the house to make sure no one was in there, and through that, once we got to the second floor, we noticed the coat and the glasses"
  • Who owns the house? - "Um, at this time, I've got no comment on that.
  • Do you believe he threw the glasses/coat down or they fell down or? - "Right now, this is an ongoing investigation and the coat and glasses were outside the flue of the chimney."
  • How long do you believe Harley was in the house? - "Again, I can't comment on that because we still have no determination from the coroner."
  • Did dogs search around the house? - "K9 units were used the entire time that Harley has been missing. From multiple agencies."
  • "Did those homeowners come home in the past four weeks?" - "It is a summer home that they are currently remodeling."
  • Did the Dilly's have any relationship with the owners? - "Not that I am aware of."
  • Are you aware of Harley ever being in the house? - "Not that I am aware of."
  • Any video or surveillance that led you there? - "The video surveillance that we got came from next to the house. And that's the photo we shared on our Facebook page."
  • Is it the working belief that that was Harley Dilly seen in the surveillance video Friday morning? - "Yes."
  • "What spurred you to go back to that house?" - "Well, again, I think I've answered that already. We were re-canvassing the areas we had already searched and we noticed the house. Everything was secured, we had no reason to believe anybody was in the house. There was no forced entry. It was deadbolted and locked. We had to get two keys to actually enter the house from the homeowner."
  • What is the family's state of mind? - "I'm gonna try to answer that the best I can. What would your state of mind be if you lost your 14 year old? I can't put words to that, can you?"

Last edited:
SMH. Police Chief,and how many other freaking agencies were on this?????? Not enough swears in the world. So heartbroken. I tried to stay awake last night, but couldn't was hoping to wake up to a better outcome. They lied last night. Oh Harley is still missing,blah blah,blah. Jerking our chain. He was right smack under their noses the whole freaking time. Makes me so angry they wouldn't let anyone search, said don't trespass blah,blah,blah. Now I bet a lot of people wish they would have ignored that, said F it,I'm gonna go check that house out. Now I'm really questioning the integrity of this investigation. Could there be a conflict of interest, cover up. Harley Dilly rest in peace. :*(
MOO
bbm
Damn right.
Esp. the 'don't trespass on anyone's property' bit.
Almost like they (local LE, not TES or outside agencies) knew something ?
Heartbreaking to think that if they'd searched that place early on, Harley would still be alive.

Eta : Accident or not, if they'd looked for Harley that Friday night instead of going out to eat 35 miles away --he'd still be alive.
He could've been stuck in that chimney but wouldn't have died yet.

If they'd checked that house before as the chief of police stated, they'd have found him.
Lazy and inept.

I'm gobsmacked. Harley climbed the antenna tower and entered through the chimney. His jacket and glasses were pushed through a flue into the second floor. The chimney was blocked between second and first floor, which trapped him.

Oh. My. God. Harley. I am so sorry! And I don't believe they checked "multiple" times, either.

"Thorough" investigation? Not when a child has been there over a month and you just found him yesterday. They knew how smart he was. They did NOT search that home.

I'm still so shocked that the house was not searched much earlier. Surely the neighbors nearby would know that house was empty if it had been empty for that many years. There were so many agencies involved and not one of them learned about this? Not one neighbor mentioned it? Or did they mention it and it was ignored? If the outside was searched, why not the inside? And would it have made a difference if more information was shared with the community and if they were allowed to participate in some way in searches? Keeping it all so close to the vest and discouraging community involvement seems like a major mistake to me.
They were ignored. I've seen several times someone saying to check empty homes,rental, vacation etc.
MOO

They're saying it appears to be an accident pending the autopsy.
The chimney was 9 x 13"
Glasses and coat pushed through the chimney to the second floor.
He has said "ongoing investigation" several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle